Remember The Time short film makes no sense

The video is a nod to the African American community reminding all of us that some black people were kings and queens in ancient times not just slaves or poor as most history books like to portray. So it does make sense. Now, the phone thing was & still is amusing. I remember joking about it with my family when we watched the premiere of the video. Obviously, Michael wanted some humor included in this video :)

This is one of my most favorite videos as it took me a long time to get into this song but I always felt the video sold the song.

i've never seen a video that's literal to the lyric. either it's entertaining or not. and to me, every MJ video is entertaining, as long as MJ made it. the music always stood on it's own for me, for all his vids. the video was an added bonus.

The video is a nod to the African American community reminding all of us that some black people were kings and queens in ancient times not just slaves or poor as most history books like to portray. So it does make sense. Now, the phone thing was & still is amusing. I remember joking about it with my family when we watched the premiere of the video. Obviously, Michael wanted some humor included in this video :)

This is one of my most favorite videos as it took me a long time to get into this song but I always felt the video sold the song.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

BTW I love the video too...especially his smile

hahahaha my bf and I were watching the video a few weeks ago and we were talking about the phone, he was like "hmm..I wonder if they used the can and string in Egyptian time, that's the phone he was talking about?"...okay it was funny at the time lol.

Black or White is kind of everything in one too, unless its like 'gonna find my baby' and hes lookin everywhere for his baby lol

Speaking of 'Remeber' the last time I watched it (along time ago) my friend told me she saw when the girl dancers are dancing, a girl's top fell off & the camera caught it. I didn't notice it but did anyone notice a girl's top accidentally sliding off and her boob popping out???

Historically Ancient Egyptians did not belong to any existed races. This subject is still unclear. Even if they did they looked more likely like mix. I can see some European, Asian and African features in Egyptian statues. I can give you tons of examples based on archeological researches but is is not a proper forum to discuss it. I spend many years learning about it.

RTT video is really cool. I love it too.

Well, I had a book about this subject once that was written by scholars. Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore but I'm sure there are scholars in the field who would say there were some black Africans in ancient times etc. who were royalty/wealthy, intelligent, involved in the sciences & made other positive contributions. Some as opposed to none.
Historically Ancient Egyptians did not belong to any existed races. This subject is still unclear. Even if they did they looked more likely like mix. I can see some European, Asian and African features in Egyptian statues. I can give you tons of examples based on archeological researches but is is not a proper forum to discuss it. I spend many years learning about it.

RTT video is really cool. I love it too.

Here, here. :yes: you so rightfully pointed out Love.him indeed royalty was not a feature that eluded African people. I haven't studied ancient Egyptian history as some of you - i've only seen a couple or maybe more docus on Discovery and History channels, so that don't count for much -, BUT if i'm not mistaken there were a few generations of pharaohs that came from the Southern part of the kingdom which is in current Sudan. The queen of Sheba and her son Menelik are only examples of black royalty.

We all know how fascinated Michael was with king Tut (maybe that's where he got the idea of the vid from, who knows?), but I think even more interesting is his father's story, Akhenaten and the revolution he tried to bring about. But, as Asedora said, this is not the right thread in which to discuss that.

Returning to the vid though - i love it so, so much. It's actually quite special for me cause it's the second video I ever saw of Michael, after Smooth criminal. I remember it like it was yesterday - for some funny reason his hair appeared in quite a bluish tone (it was either the settings on the tv or the tape on which it had been recorded), but i thought that was so strange and cute - here was this beautiful, gorgeous man all dressed in gold, dancing his bum off and with blue wavy hair LOL. Loved it back then, love it now even if nowadays i see it on tv (often enough), but with the black hair lol. I looove the golden morph effect in the beginning and it amazes me to think that it was done back then, it seems so advanced technologically, as all of Michael's videos.

Love the coreography as well. Fatima Robinson I think had her big break with it and went on to work for boybands such as Backstreet Boys. I actually used to know part of routine back in the day.

As so many of you pointed out, in many music videos (Michael's included) there need not be a connection between the plot/images of the video and the lyrics of the song. If that were the case, where would that leave Scream? lol - yet another masterpiece that stood the test of time beautifully, but then again I love all of Mark Romanek's work, he is a brilliant director.

Back to RTT - the vid is worth a treasure for this killer smile alone. ^_^

killahsmile.png

Well, I had a book about this subject once that was written by scholars. Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore but I'm sure there are scholars in the field who would say there were some black Africans in ancient times etc. who were royalty/wealthy, intelligent, involved in the sciences & made other positive contributions. Some as opposed to none.

You do not have to worry about it hon:) We are here on this board and Michael Jackson is a real KING for all of us. There is a huge positive contribution from black community to the whole world right here:) We do not need to go that far:) Europian kings , asian kings etc. used to fight against other kings and nations. Michael Jackson is a King of Love which is more importnat imo.

Last edited:
You do not have to worry about it hon:) We are here on this board and Michael Jackson is a real KING for all of us. There is a huge positive contribution from black community to the whole world right here:) We do not need to go that far:) Europian kings , asian kings etc. used to fight against other kings and nations. Michael Jackson is a King of Love which is more importnat imo.

You are so very right Asedora. King of Love, eh? Wonderful description of the man, you summed him up purrrfectly :D

Hey has anyone noticed the part when the girls top falls off??? lol the line / group of dancers on the floor and supposidly one girls top falls off and the camera caught it. lol

???

The Ancient Egypt idea was John Singleton's, the director.

The video makes complete sense with the lyrics except for the phone. Jam's video suits and makes further sense of the lyrics - and so does SCREAM's video to lyrics.

It doesnt have to make sense, its a music video. Half the music videos out there dont make sense.

Yeah. it may not make much sense BUT it's still awesome hahaha I love it. It was a short film to show off creativity and make him even more awesome :)

Of course it makes sense. But it's not literaly.

In this way, Liberian Girl doesn't make sense and a lot of clips too. I think he wanted an egypt thing for short film because he liked of the culture from there. he artist don't need act exactly whats is on the music.

Remember the Time makes sense when you watch the passion between the queen ad Michael. The passion is on the music ''when we first met girl''

Yet its one of my fave videos, always has been since the first time I saw it. :D :heart:

It's funny...I've always noticed in the back of my mind the RTT sorta didn't make much sense...but it never registered in me to actually care! It's art! Michael art and Michael genius! 'Nuff said!

Remember The Time makes a lot of sense actually, very heavily loaded with symbolism. Falcon, winged disk, cat etc.

For somebody who said in his own words that he believes in spirituality, somebody whom Ortega reported to use the word "channeling" the video makes more than just sense. :cheeky: :fortuneteller: In fact, it is to this day my favorite short film.

It's like a funky past life regression on TV with some strange accent "oookay". I love Remember The Time, Eddy Murphy raising an eyebrow, love the tongue in cheek.

Michael obviously had a big thing for Egypt, buying a replica of a sarcophagus, wearing ankhs on his clothing, he obviously felt drawn to it.

Don't take "phone" to literal, he just saying "connected", that's all.

I don't know what Buddha, asking for favors, Talmud, etc. has to do with playing basketball. :unsure:

It isn't specific to basketball itself, but what basketball represents - i.e. play and the letting go of ego. It's symbolism.

BTW, people...you're forgetting the role MJ plays as the Trickster in RTT.

It isn't specific to basketball itself, but what basketball represents - i.e. play and the letting go of ego. It's symbolism.

BTW, people...you're forgetting the role MJ plays as the Trickster in RTT.
So you're saying Mike is Brer Rabbit? That's not necessarily a good thing, lol.

Well, back then they didn't have keyboards, drum computers and pop lockin' Egyptians either.

It's just a musicvideo, and a great one too!

Anyone know when Ecasanova is in it? I've heard he is in it, but never found him.

Back