Rev. Al Sharpton

I have a really short memory, do any of you guys know if Sharpton ever commented or supported Michael during the molestation allegations?

Anyway, his speech today was truly amazing!

yeah I loved that line about him not being strange. I thought that congresswoman just went ON and ON though, and was talking about america this america that, rather than focussing on Michael, who I believe is a true "global citizen". She made it political, which really annoyed me, and I get the feeling she said the "innocent until proven guilty" thing in an effort to fire up the crowd, which was getting bored with her rant. at least he's gonna become a recognized "legend" or whatever that thing was, but seriously no politicians were needed in the first place.

do we have a transcript of the speech? this was an amazing one!!!! he actually helped me through the memorial. he truly lifted up my heart which seemed impossible to me. what an amazing man

His speech was awesome and one of the highlights for me regarding the children, when he said ( I don't know if I remember exactly):

"Your father was not strange but the things he had to deal with were strange!"

That was an important statement!

That man can give a speech, huh? He was amazing, and his words were so true, they gave me the chills. I think his was my favorite speech of the memorial.

hmm almost, but paris' "speech" was so emotional I just started sobbing immediately, without thinking or realizing what I was doing.

anybody having transcript of all the speeches..? it would help to translate it for non-english websites..

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0907/07/cnr.06.html

Full transcript - Rev. Al Sharpton speech

REV. AL SHARPTON, ACTIVIST: All over the world today people are gathered in love vigils to celebrate the life of a man that taught the world how to love. People may be wondering why there is such an emotional outburst, but you would have to understand the journey of Michael to understand what he meant to all of us.

For these that sit here as the Jackson family, a mother and father with nine children that rose from a working class family in Gary, Indiana, they had nothing but a dream. No one believed in those days that these kind of dreams could come true. But they kept on believing, and Michael never let the world turn him around from his dreams.

I first met Michael around 1970, Black Expo, Chicago, Illinois, Reverend Jesse Jackson, who stood by this family until now. And from that day, as a cute kid, to this moment, he never gave up dreaming.

It was that dream that changed culture all over the world. When Michael started, it was a different world, but because Michael kept going, because he didn't except limitations, because he refused to let people decide his boundaries, he opened up the whole world in the music world.

He put on one glove, pulled his pants up, and broke down the color curtain, where now our videos are shown and magazines put us on the cover! It was Michael Jackson that brought blacks and whites and Asians and Latinos together! It was Michael Jackson that made us sing "We are the World" and feed the hungry long before Live Aid!

(APPLAUSE)

Because Michael Jackson kept going, he created a comfort level where people that felt they were separate became interconnected with his music. And it was that comfort level that kids from Japan and Ghana and France and Iowa and Pennsylvania got comfortable enough with each other to, later, it wasn't strange to us to watch Oprah on television. It wasn't strange to watch Tiger Woods golf.

Those young kids grew up from being teenage comfortable fans of Michael's to being 40 years old and being comfortable to vote for a president of color to be the president of the United States of America.

(APPLAUSE)

Michael did that! Michael made us love each other! Michael taught us to stand with each other!

There are those that like to dig around mess, but millions around the world, we are going to uphold his message. It's not about mess, it's about his love message.

As you climb up steep mountains, sometimes you scar your knee. Sometimes you break your skin. But don't focus on the scars. Focus on the journey.

Michael rose to the top. He out-sang his cynics. He out-danced his doubters. He outperformed the pessimists.

Every time he got knocked down, he got back up. Every time you counted him out, he came back in.

Michael never stopped! Michael never stopped! Michael never stopped!

(APPLAUSE)

I want to say to Mrs. Jackson and Joe Jackson, his sisters and brothers, we thank you for giving us someone that taught us love, someone that taught us hope. We want to thank you because we know it was your dream, too. We know that your heart is broken.

I know you have some comfort from the letter from the president of the United States and Nelson Mandela, but this was your child. This was your brother. This was your cousin. Nothing will fill your heart's loss, but I hope the love that people are showing will make you know he didn't live in vain.

I want his three children to know, wasn't nothing strange about your daddy. It was strange what your daddy had to deal with, but he dealt with it...

(APPLAUSE)

SHARPTON: ... he dealt with it anyway. He dealt with it for us. So, some came today, Mrs. Jackson, to say goodbye to Michael. I came to say thank you. Thank you, because you never stopped. Thank you because you never gave up. Thank you because you never gave out. Thank you because you tore down our divisions. Thank you because you eradicated barriers. Thank you because you gave us hope. Thank you, Michael, thank you, Michael, thank you, Michael.

I don't think he meant the song, I think he meant the whole thing about bringing attention to helping the poor in Africa.
It was a good and powerful speech, but he was wrong on one count. Do they Know It's Christmas by Band Aid came out the year before We Are The World, so you can't go re-writing history and depriving Sir Bob Geldof of his credit where its due.

It was a good and powerful speech, but he was wrong on one count. Do they Know It's Christmas by Band Aid came out the year before We Are The World, so you can't go re-writing history and depriving Sir Bob Geldof of his credit where its due.
He said Live Aid, not Band Aid. 'We Are The World' was before Live Aid, maybe not "way before", but 'We Are The World' was sung at the concert. If you want to get technical, George Harrison was 1st with the Bangladesh concert in the early 1970s.

Michael would have been totally proud of such a speech... the reverend perfectly pointed out the aspects of MJ's life, as he said michael never stopped.. and he would never stop.. He was the voice in which all good thoughts of people who cared about michael would reunite, using just a few amazing words to sum up the great contribution to music and life Michael always had... Al Sherpton simply rocked the world, speaking of the ultimate genie, Michael Jackson!!

He said Live Aid, not Band Aid. 'We Are The World' was before Live Aid, maybe not "way before", but 'We Are The World' was sung at the concert. If you want to get technical, George Harrison was 1st with the Bangladesh concert in the early 1970s.

I was thinking that. Band Aid is quite old now, all these young 'uns may not remember.

Rev al sharpton speech was ...words cant express

Thank you rev!

Back