Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees about Michael

rowdym

Proud Member

Robin's Tribute to Michael Jackson

"We’ve not only lost a great friend in Michael but also lost a wonderful sensitive human being. The Bee Gees heard music with the same ears. Michael had a great voice and millions of people yet to be born will sing his songs. This tragedy should teach us a lesson to value and praise those gifts while we still have them in the world. If even a small portion of the praise that is bestowed on Michael Jackson now in death was given to him last year in life, he might well still be with us. That is the sad truth. One consolation is that he will triumph by his legacy." - Robin Gibb

He also said this on TV the other night.

If even a small portion of the praise that is bestowed on Michael Jackson now in death was given to him last year in life, he might well still be with us.

Very true, but they choosed to hate him. At least he doesn't suffer anymore.

God bless you Robin. you spoke true words. ty for using your voice for Michael.

The Gibb brothers have never said anything negative or made fun of Michael. Michael is the godfather to one of Barry's children.

Though they did'nt make too many reference to each other in public, Mike & Gibbs were admiring of each other..

Also, Mike had mentioned in LWMJ that he was very close & trusting of Barry Gibb & that his children spend a lot of time with Barry.

Nice phrase. I blame the ignorance of the average person. Very sad .

People only appreciate what they had once they've lost it, when they realize they'll never get it back.
I've always said that a person has to die before people love them.
Yet people don't learn, the media in particular will never change

Hopefully this will wake everyone up somewhat to the state of things in regards to celebrities, how our culture became the tabloid culture it has become. But I doubt it..

If even a small portion of the praise that is bestowed on Michael Jackson now in death was given to him last year in life, he might well still be with us. That is the sad truth.

That is excellent. Thank you for posting.

Robin is going to be on tv tomorrow morning per twitter. Haven't checked my twitter page in over 24 hrs. Missed lots of updates.

____

beegeesforeverROBIN GIBB | Appearances | June 28 - Robin will be on Sunday with Adam Boulton live to talk about loss of Michael Jackson - Sky TV, 10-12am

_____

Also a write up

http://entertainment.timesonline.co...rticle6586845.ece?token=null&offset=12&page=2

Robin Gibb, singer with the Bee Gees

He was a great friend, a very sensitive, gentle, gifted man. My brothers and I first met him in about 1972 when he was in the Jackson 5. We were in the same studio, the Hit Factory, in Los Angeles. Every time he was in Miami he would stay over, particularly with Barry. He often showed up out of the blue: he used to leave Bubbles with someone and come on his own. We hung out, had jam sessions.
I last saw him a few weeks ago in LA at a party. He looked well but he wasn’t well — he was worn down. He was very, very wary about going back into the limelight, and I sympathised with that. It wasn’t the London dates so much that bothered him, it was the way the critics might evaluate him after those dates. I told him he should say, “So what!” instead of “What if?”
The fact was that he wasn’t afforded the respect that he deserved — here was a guy who was acquitted in his trial last year but in, America particularly, he was very troubled. He was very frightened of doing live stage shows after the trial because he was worried about the attacks that might occur. I think it really got to him. The problem is he was very fragile — the nature of artists is that they are sensitive and soft. But that doesn’t detract from their intelligence and their talent.

His death wasn’t a huge surprise — I just wish people wouldn’t have hounded him so much. He was a very lonely man and misunderstood. He had to do it on his own. He underwent a lot in the last two years and I don’t think many people could have stood up to as much as he did.
We had a shared camaraderie. He will be sorely missed because this didn’t have to happen. He was young, like my brother, who died in 2003 — of course, Michael came to Maurice’s funeral. It’s so sad that we can’t praise people while they’re here in the world. When they’re gone it’s too late. The people who were down on him last year are praying to the altar of Michael Jackson today.

© Ben Okri, 2009

Also a write up

http://entertainment.timesonline.co...rticle6586845.ece?token=null&offset=12&page=2

Robin Gibb, singer with the Bee Gees

He was a great friend, a very sensitive, gentle, gifted man. My brothers and I first met him in about 1972 when he was in the Jackson 5. We were in the same studio, the Hit Factory, in Los Angeles. Every time he was in Miami he would stay over, particularly with Barry. He often showed up out of the blue: he used to leave Bubbles with someone and come on his own. We hung out, had jam sessions.
I last saw him a few weeks ago in LA at a party. He looked well but he wasn’t well — he was worn down. He was very, very wary about going back into the limelight, and I sympathised with that. It wasn’t the London dates so much that bothered him, it was the way the critics might evaluate him after those dates. I told him he should say, “So what!” instead of “What if?”
The fact was that he wasn’t afforded the respect that he deserved — here was a guy who was acquitted in his trial last year but in, America particularly, he was very troubled. He was very frightened of doing live stage shows after the trial because he was worried about the attacks that might occur. I think it really got to him. The problem is he was very fragile — the nature of artists is that they are sensitive and soft. But that doesn’t detract from their intelligence and their talent.

His death wasn’t a huge surprise — I just wish people wouldn’t have hounded him so much. He was a very lonely man and misunderstood. He had to do it on his own. He underwent a lot in the last two years and I don’t think many people could have stood up to as much as he did.
We had a shared camaraderie. He will be sorely missed because this didn’t have to happen. He was young, like my brother, who died in 2003 — of course, Michael came to Maurice’s funeral. It’s so sad that we can’t praise people while they’re here in the world. When they’re gone it’s too late. The people who were down on him last year are praying to the altar of Michael Jackson today.

© Ben Okri, 2009

So true. Thankyou, Robin.
We could have easily predicted this - people who sued/blasted/joked about Michael are suddenly acting like the care. Even though we expected it, it's still totally sickening to see.

So many hypocrites...not a truer word spoken by Robin. I hope that more people who were closest to Michael will continue to speak the truth about all he went through and drowned out the people who are trying to exploit his death for their own agenda.

It is so sad, like I read in another post it's the 'ignorance of the average person', those who unconsciously and consciously worship the media and tabloids.

No one knows exactly, but it could be said that the trial affected Michael's psyche sub-consciously in a way that ate him up. (F*cken Gavin and/or Gavin's family and lawyers). How do they sleep. Furious.

I think what robin gibb said is so true!. After the trial michael's sprit was (imo) somwhat already gone in way....it had totally sucked him up whole. I think he was trying so hard 2 show that it hadnt, but the unfortnate truth is it did.

That is one of the best statements. Very much appreciated. thank u Robin. Even though it is too late for anything.

"It wasn’t the London dates so much that bothered him, it was the way the critics might evaluate him after those dates. I told him he should say, “So what!” instead of “What if?”

^^I was always thinking of that. For him I just think it was the best that he doesn't have to hear the critics, because it wouldn't have gotten any better for him. The critics would have destroyed him, no matter how perfect he had made it, there was never a good word about his shows because they decided to not give him credit. It wouldn't have mattered if he was singing 37 songs live and dancing like no other (he maybe HOPED it would make a differnce). The good critics are for those who don't move, don't sing and doing only 16 songs at the age of 27.

"The fact was that he wasn’t afforded the respect that he deserved he was worried about the attacks that might occur."

ya, and that is what bothers me so much, because IF someone he should be respected

"It’s so sad that we can’t praise people while they’re here in the world. When they’re gone it’s too late. The people who were down on him last year are praying to the altar of Michael Jackson today. "

^^good, I am not the only one disgusted by that never ending hypocrisy

the Gibb brothers often hit the highest clarity... Thankyou to Robin for his sheer honesty I found myself nodding to his words

Robin's Tribute to Michael Jackson

"We’ve not only lost a great friend in Michael but also lost a wonderful sensitive human being. The Bee Gees heard music with the same ears. Michael had a great voice and millions of people yet to be born will sing his songs. This tragedy should teach us a lesson to value and praise those gifts while we still have them in the world. If even a small portion of the praise that is bestowed on Michael Jackson now in death was given to him last year in life, he might well still be with us. That is the sad truth. One consolation is that he will triumph by his legacy." - Robin Gibb

He also said this on TV the other night.
That’s so true, what Robin said. And also so incredibly sad.

If even a small portion of the praise that is bestowed on Michael Jackson now in death was given to him last year in life, he might well still be with us.
Disagree. The praise would not save him. He was on a self-destructive path and those around him were all YES men. Michael was trained from a young age to be Number 1. He was also a strong-willed person who nearly always got what he wanted, whenever he wanted. He didn't do anything he didn't want to do, as Bryan Loren would say. The price he paid was an early death. The path he was on would always end this way, regardless of praise. He would do it himself, or those profiting from his death would do it for him.

Disagree. The praise would not save him. He was on a self-destructive path and those around him were all YES men. Michael was trained from a young age to be Number 1. He was also a strong-willed person who nearly always got what he wanted, whenever he wanted. He didn't do anything he didn't want to do, as Bryan Loren would say. The price he paid was an early death. The path he was on would always end this way, regardless of praise. He would do it himself, or those profiting from his death would do it for him.
Would you stop replying to 15 year old threads already? These people don't even log in anymore.

Would you stop replying to 15 year old threads already? These people don't even log in anymore.
The original poster doesn't have to see the responses. Those here can discuss if they want, or they can ignore. I like going through interesting topics.

The original poster doesn't have to see the responses. Those here can discuss if they want, or they can ignore. I like going through interesting topics.
I've gone on necro bumping benders myself but I gave up after a while. Some random old quote isn't what I consider interesting. Otherwise I'd say just start a whole new thread.

If we all thought the same way, how boring that would be.
I'll concede that.

But i don't think you have the right to call him self destructive anyway, especially when so much of his life was actually just *destructive*, no self involved. Would you give up your beloved forum time and this enjoyable content to let this child from Gary Indiana have a regular childhood, maybe with a decent father in the mix also?

Back