Shutting Down MJJC Radio (per Estate's request)

Re: Shutting Down MJJC Radio and Chat (per Estate's request)

Yo gaz you should tell them to STFU!!

And do what they are meant to do and stay out where they not meant to be

Smh

Are you going to pay the legal bills for Gaz?

It's not about them not being right. They probably are legally. And if Gaz told them to "STFU" he would probably be ordered to pay them damages for copyright infringement.

It's just that it is petty IMO. This doesn't harm MJ's legacy or sales, unlike the tabloid crap that the Estate was so passive about.

Maybe, just maybe, and hopefully, The Estate comes back to mjjc with a "plan" regarding how the radio and chat can be kept in a way that either side is content, The Estate and us, the fans here on mjjc ...

But maybe I´m just naive ...

It must be very frustrating for the admins here to keep up a wonderful website like mjjc - invest time, creativity, money, ... - and suddenly someone just cuts parts away from it.

Agree as always with respect. Its pointless and petty. Mjjc is not making money off or using the songs in a bad way.has the estate really got nothing better to do.you would think they might have considering the last couple of weeks. If they are wanting to p*** off fans even more so and turn fans who were generally pro estate against them they are doing a good job this last week or two.

About time! Well done to the Estate for finally taking actions on the things that matter most!

I am glad that they wasted little time defending Michael from a horrific and completely fabricated story that spread like wildfire, but taking down the online radio for a group of hardcore fans is exactly what was needed. We needed to be brought back down to earth after the exciting stellar couple of weeks of tabloid related fun we have been having.

The MJ Estate know exactly what they are doing.

Breaking News. Monster. Keep Your Head Up.

?MORONS

Are you going to pay the legal bills for Gaz?

It's not about them not being right. They probably are legally. And if Gaz told them to "STFU" he would probably be ordered to pay them damages for copyright infringement.

It's just that it is petty IMO. This doesn't harm MJ's legacy or sales, unlike the tabloid crap that the Estate was so passive about.

Sorry but the estate are making an excuse if it was a "copyright" thing Mike himself would've said it to gaz when he was alive.

So are the estate gonna do this to other mj forum/sites that play mj music too?. Hmm

About time! Well done to the Estate for finally taking actions on the things that matter most!

I am glad that they wasted little time defending Michael from a horrific and completely fabricated story that spread like wildfire, but taking down the online radio for a group of hardcore fans is exactly what was needed. We needed to be brought back down to earth after the exciting stellar couple of weeks of tabloid related fun we have been having.

The MJ Estate know exactly what they are doing.

Breaking News. Monster. Keep Your Head Up.

?MORONS

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :clap: :clap:

Just so you know, no DMCA was issued they sensitively emailed me asking (which at least I can somewhat appreciate) and the chat I have had a reverse of decision as although you can broadcast music from it, we will ensure members don't.

What does "DMCA" mean?

I kind of getting where they are coming from.
Everywhere you go and hear music, they have paid licence in order to allow them to play it.
Every single radio station pays royalties when they play music, every club pays royalties.

Its not that the estate is petty and wants so peanuts from MJJC, but when royalties are collected, musicians, song writers performer etc get their what they are due.
I also believe that (according the estate accounting, they have company that goes after illegal use of MJ's music), so they could have sued MJJC for it, but they only asked it to stop.

I suppose MJJC would have needed Public Performance or Performance Rights
Very useful info here:
http://www.ascap.com/licensing/licensingfaq.aspx

I remember when Universal made claim to Michael's estate because video of MJ singing in R Kelly song Ignition in the car went to circulation, and no royalties were paid for it, so there you go.

Second thing I remember that there was a fan club in LA, and they were asked to stop using MJ's image to sell stuff. Michael's image and likeness is not free for even fans to exploit for any reason.

I was in the radio/chat just 2 days ago and it was lovely to listen to especially after these horrid couple of weeks.
Sad, sad. I wish something could be worked out. It's great to have a Michael station 24/7.

Fully understand and agree if anything was used for commercial purposes, but a non profit fan club they in turn benefit moreso promoting surely a sense of hey guys we know you are doing this can we work with you on ensuring the content is what we want the fans to hear and obviously no sharing making money etc, not just hey MJ fans your not permitted to listen to his music.

Fully understand and agree if anything was used for commercial purposes, but a non profit fan club they in turn benefit moreso promoting surely a sense of hey guys we know you are doing this can we work with you on ensuring the content is what we want the fans to hear and obviously no sharing making money etc, not just hey MJ fans your not permitted to listen to his music.
Gaz-you've been around so long. Don't you think something can be worked out? It was such a relief and pleasure to listen the other day and just remember WHY we fight for him so. Just listening to his voice and those songs.
It's not like the audience is as huge as commercial radio or Spotify so they'd hardly get any fees, I'd think.

I have just sent them the below in hope some form of resolution for the fans can be achieved.

Guys - is there not anything that can be worked out even if there was a
track listing T&C’s etc - the fans are gutted, more-so after what they/we
have been through the last couple of weeks - want to ask as I serve them
and this is what I have been asking of me to try since we disseminated the
change.

I pray that that work i like to see the chatroom and the radio back up and running again.

Admittedly I never used the radio feature so pardon me if I'm wrong but isn't it just Michael's music on shuffle? What's stopping you guys from hopping onto iTunes/Spotify, making a playlist of all his music and just hitting shuffle? Genuine question.

As for the ethical side of things, I'm sorta neutral. On one hand, they're perfectly within their legal right and it's not like theres other solutions for you guys, but then again, what harm did this do to their sales/revenue? The people who are aware of the radio feature have likely bought most of his albums tbh. *shrugs*

Last edited:

Some you didn't agree with Estate's intentions before, but I never bother to say anything, but I don't like to get myself involved, but in this case what they're doing now by shutting down the Chat and Radio of MJJC that is a dumb @$$ bull$#!^ move they're making. Now I'm even started to compare the Estate as that dumb@$$ Don Sweeney (current GM of the Boston Bruins) who traded away my favourite player last year forcing me to quit.

Again BULL$#!^!!!

Admittedly I never used the radio feature so pardon me if I'm wrong but isn't it just Michael's music on shuffle? What's stopping you guys from hopping onto iTunes/Spotify, making a playlist of all his music and just hitting shuffle? Genuine question.

As for the ethical side of things, I'm sorta neutral. On one hand, they're perfectly within their legal right and it's not like theres other solutions for you guys, but then again, what harm did this do to their sales/revenue? The people who are aware of the radio feature have likely bought most of his albums tbh. *shrugs*
I do have him on Spotify and use shuffle. And I use YouTube playlists a lot. And all my albums are on my computers.
It's just a little different here because of some remixes that are good and some old obscure stuff I don't have. It's just a different experience that I've enjoyed.

Mmhh, in case we want to get the radio and chat (or an alternative) back, maybe we should be careful using insults and offensive words ... If The Estate knows about mjjc and their offers / different units, they might just browse mjjc threads as well. Just saying. :shades:

MJTunes is another awesome station, I listen there all the time, has radio segments for remixes, great stuff. Maybe you guys can work something out, make an MJJC-sponsored chatroom on their site, would be beneficial for you both, bring traffic to both of your sites.

This whole thing is ridiculous, the small community of listeners on MJJC Radio are the ones buying everything of Michael's. Alright, Estate, gonna bite the hand that feeds ya?

I do have him on Spotify and use shuffle. And I use YouTube playlists a lot. And all my albums are on my computers.
It's just a little different here because of some remixes that are good and some old obscure stuff I don't have. It's just a different experience that I've enjoyed.

Oh cool, didn't know it played remixes too :)

MJTunes is another awesome station, I listen there all the time, has radio segments for remixes, great stuff. Maybe you guys can work something out, make an MJJC-sponsored chatroom on their site, would be beneficial for you both, bring traffic to both of your sites.

This whole thing is ridiculous, the small community of listeners on MJJC Radio are the ones buying everything of Michael's. Alright, Estate, gonna bite the hand that feeds ya?

how is MJTunes able to do it? surely they are not a officially licensed! (sorry had to take off your link as promotions of competing sites are not permitted)

Oh cool, didn't know it played remixes too :)
Yes. It's very different. As a rule I hate remixes. But these are good. And I've never seen anyone in the chatroom mention the Estate. (But I'm not a regular).
Maybe MJ tunes also got a letter.

They might not know about the others sites. MJJC is the biggest forum.

how is MJTunes able to do it? surely they are not a officially licensed! (sorry had to take off your link as promotions of competing sites are not permitted)

Is this forum officially licensed? That explains alot if it is. Estate is just meeting copyright law. If this forum isn't, I'd give it a shot with MJTunes. Who cares if they get a little miffed? I think their problem is that it's on one of the most popular MJ sites. If it were on a third party site, it would be less of a "threat" to their sales.

I've often wondered about who runs this site myself.

They might not know about the others sites. MJJC is the biggest forum.
But they've always been supportive before. Having members go to Xscape listening parties, attending Bad25 events, asking us questions about sales and what we'd like to see.
Maybe other forums were not so respectful and they had to do it for all?

I bet if listening to MJ radio got the MJ youtube page hits they would not have a problem... Is there a way we could just loop the videos his page on a small box somewhere.. we could use it as radio and it would help his videos add up on hits fast.

Everyone wins that way ;)

Well, that's priorities for you. As others have said they don't bother defending Michael in the media and just let bullshit stories spread but they take action against a fan site? Get a grip.

I have a feeling something's in the air. A few weeks ago, someone on here complained the Dangerous album songs disappeared from Spotify. I'd love to think something's gonna happen this year, but I'm always such an idealist.

A few weeks ago, someone on here complained the Dangerous album songs disappeared from Spotify.

Wasn't that just one region? Other users reported it was fine then and it still shows for me too.

Back