Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

Like I said it's okay if people don't like an idea regardless of the source of the idea. My issue was with the rather crass expressions and mockery. You are totally fine.

I don't get your point. Both quotes you posted proves it was indeed MJ's idea and other people thought it was childish. You can like it, hate it, love it, think it's childish an so on but it's clearly relevant. In other words it's not something Estate made it up on their own now, it has a history. Bad 25 also included the original artwork. So perhaps it's me but I fail to see the problem here. They included the original artwork. Love it or hate it but that's all they did.

My point was that the documentary is meant to show Michael maturing into an adult. The documentary is new. I thought it was the documentary that is meant to attract new fans to Michael's work. The original CD has been there for many years, so the new package is meant to attract new people who have not bothered to listen to OTW before. My point was that I don't think the 'original concept' packaging is the main/ best / most appropriate way to reach out/ portray the maturing Michael to potential new MJ music fans. It doesn't reflect a 'maturing' star. I think we will have to agree to disagree.

(The chalk / original concept packaging might have been more appropriate if the OTW re-release included original demos and maybe tracks which were considered but excluded etc., ie if it was a package which looked backwards at the origins of the music on OTW.)

Last edited:
He only likes "black" michael hence ignoring post bad. Guess he couldnt resist with tdcau

This is pure bullshit and bigoted (not to mention being ignorant as well).

I'd also like to add the gross generalizations about Black people being beaten is a "cultural thing" is extremely offensive as well as being a lie. I've never been beaten and I'm black! I don't know of anyone (black or otherwise) being disciplined like Joe did to his kids. That's ABUSE.

Last edited:
I hate to say if it was Michael's idea but that chalk onn the walll looks like someone drew the silhouette of a murdered person. I didn't like it either. I won't definately buy the re-issue.

Was excited about this project until finding out we were not getting any bonus material of any kind. I still do want to see the doc but, not happy about it including rare footage while people talk over it. Why can't we have the footage alone featured in a DVD for this release or some demo's as well? So, I think I will leave this release on my wish list and get it whenever. Really don't feel like wasting money on a release I already have with no bonuses that only includes a piece of chalk! Doubt MJ would have ever did anything like that in a project he was releasing today, regardless of being a old concept of his or not. IMO.

I don't think the artwork looks like a murder scene outline, but it definitely isn't going to make me want the album.

Products marketed to kids getting a piece of chalk is expected, but this is aimed at adults. I really have no idea why they would choose this over demos and outtakes. They didn't even include the 2001 bonus material.

With all this bickering back and forth... I purchase most of everything the estate produces today... Im hoping there will be a stand alone OTW Spike Lee DVD...

French MJ fan club has a picture of OTW release on their site, hopefully they don't mind if I copied it here.
This is how it looks like
offthewall.jpg

I hate to say if it was Michael's idea but that chalk onn the walll looks like someone drew the silhouette of a murdered person. I didn't like it either. I won't definately buy the re-issue.

Unfortunately, you are right about the use of the chalk outline to signify death (like the image below). It is a very unfortunate association and one that I am surprised that the marketing people seemed not to notice.

http://[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/hlTfTL4Pj][/URL]

Last edited:
LaVelle Smith Jr.- Jan 15th

Have you ever noticed that, before Michael Jackson starts to sing "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'", he usually whispered some things to me?
"Hey, LaVelle! Are you ready to show 'em how to rock?". I also answered, "Yes! Let's make them dance!".

When you dance "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" with Michael, you have to feel the music and be good at free style. Fearless, sharp, straight to the point.
Video: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1110526368966164

MD Film Festival ?@MDFFest 13. Jan.

Long live the King of Pop! A #MichaelJackson documentary directed by #SpikeLee is to premiere at @sundancefest http://abcn.ws/1ZkB4PG

Damn now this chalk thing just sounds soo wrong

I hope it won't put people off buying the DVD though. I really want to see the documentary, and I'll definitely buy it and either hide or discard the packaging.... (The DVD cover itself looks great. I love the cool, sophisticated image. It's just the 'outer' for the whole thing that seems like an opportunity missed. I'd rather have photos of Michael the inimitable dancer in action, than acres of blank wall or chalk drawings. )

Last edited:
Well, and a DVD. The movie is not part of the original release.
That is why I wrote this Beneath the section you quoted.
I look forward to the documentary for any MJ footage but Spike Lee may as well have lay down and rolled over in terms of that interview!
I don't wish to rain on anyone's parade and I am looking forward to the documentary, I'm just giving an honest opinion. I won't rehash why I'm not particularly happy as I really don't want to be doom and gloom, but I just had certain personal expectations, Bad25 for instance felt like a step in the right direction, & I do believe like Ivy and others have said, there's possibly a lot going on behind the scenes blocking any additional material, which I feel if that is the case they should have left an Off The Wall project for a point in the future where resolution was met and said material could be included. If I'm coming across as negative, moaning, whinging etc it is not simply for the sake of it, These albums are some some of the most important albums of my life and shaped me. Evertime a new project is released I don't see why we constantly need to be concerned about NEW fans coming on board. Michael's music, like anyother great artist, is what brings new fans to the table and if that's not enough then that's the persons loss. Nobody is becoming a Michael fan because of a stick of chalk.

Am I looking at the wrong picture? I don't see any chalk outlines of dead bodies on the floor. I see a drawing of Michael on the wall as if he drew it himself while he was writing on the wall.

I agree with aazzaabb. As much as I want to see this doc, it will just whet my appetite for more (tour). They need to get the jackson brothers to the negotiating table and work out some deals. Don't know about Q.
Sometimes you can't give people enough money. They just want more.

It's not only our loss. This is their loss too. All of them need to think of their OWN legacies.

Last edited:
Am I looking at the wrong picture? I don't see any chalk outlines of dead bodies on the floor. I see a drawing of Michael on the wall as if he drew it himself while he was writing on the wall.

I don't see it either. Just because it's a drawing by chalk it's not a dead body outline typical for crime scenes. Someone started saying it and now suddenly everyone associates to that.

That is why I wrote this Beneath the section you quoted.

^ "nothing but chalk" looked like you didn't acknowledge the DVD as something extra in this release. Which it is. Maybe nobody becomes a fan because of of a stick of chalk, but some may from watching the movie.

I don't see it either. Just because it's a drawing by chalk it's not a dead body outline typical for crime scenes. Someone started saying it and now suddenly everyone associates to that.

I don't see it either.

Last edited:
Well, and a DVD. The movie is not part of the original release.

One of the most important and influential albums of pop culture gets a "Deluxe" release and comes with nothing more than a piece of chalk!! I'm sorry, it's rediculious and a little insulting. I appologise for not being a five year old.

I look forward to the documentary for any MJ footage but Spike Lee may as well have lay down and rolled over in terms of that interview!

^ "nothing but chalk" looked like you didn't acknowledge the DVD as something extra in this release. Which it is. Maybe nobody becomes a fan because of of a stick of chalk, but some may from watching the movie.

I don't see it either.
I'm equating the piece of chalk as a substitute for bonus material, which is what it feels like to me. It feels a little cheap and a little tacky, just saying. I'm here for Michael Jackson's music and I don't like seeing his legacy being reduced to what it's becoming. Critics will laugh at a stick of chalk in lue of bonus tracks and a lot of the cynics will have their theory backed up that MJ was nothing more than a pop singer. MJ was as artistic and creative and prolific in the studio as anyother great artist and I think that needs to be represented. I'm looking forward to the documentary which actually I agree with you is there as a bonus, because if they were allowed to put any extra music at all on the CD we would have to pay separately for the documentary like we did with Bad25. So there is zero consistency with these releases and money is the only motivation.

Barbee and Respect, agree with points you've both made. When does a price on something become not enough? The Jacksons legacy is also a loser here and they really need to sit down and work this out.

yeah, I think it's silly to compare it with that

Hey people, some of you don't see/perceive an outlined body that looks like a murder scene. You disagree with some of us, we get it but we can't agree all the time. Get over that!

if the documentary is well made and it can be bought separately from the album, I'm willing to collect it.

The chalk is about as exciting as when Invincible came in 5 colors.

Good point, it's not just the Estate that have crap marketing ideas, it happened when Mike was alive.

I feel they need a real fan in charge of these releases, when I see repackages of other artists (Dylan, Elvis, Springsteen) it really seems a true lover of the music has been involved.

Good point, it's not just the Estate that have crap marketing ideas, it happened when Mike was alive.

I feel they need a real fan in charge of these releases, when I see repackages of other artists (Dylan, Elvis, Springsteen) it really seems a true lover of the music has been involved.

I think some of the problem is transparency. I understand why while MJ was alive things would be kept under wrap for the element of surprise, but now that MJ is gone, it's about time to uncover everything they have and let us know. We can tell the estate the things we really want and the things that will sell, especially for die-hard fans such as us. Of course, not everything the estate releases is gonna be aimed specifically at us but we probably have a good understanding of what the general public would want, too.

I think some of the problem is transparency. I understand why while MJ was alive things would be kept under wrap for the element of surprise, but now that MJ is gone, it's about time to uncover everything they have and let us know. We can tell the estate the things we really want and the things that will sell, especially for die-hard fans such as us. Of course, not everything the estate releases is gonna be aimed specifically at us but we probably have a good understanding of what the general public would want, too.

nah, it's because when he was alive, they couldn't just do what they wanted, but now that he's gone, they can do whatever they want, because he has no say...

They'd probably need a committee of fans, since everyone here is so wildly different. Especially when it comes to the HIStory tour and post Quincy eras.

Maybe if they just had people reading the fan web sites, that would help somewhat. I've been on a few and read all sorts of commentary on this new OTW release.

I totally feel the same way. That's exactly what we need. Someone who is as passionate about these releases as the fans are.

:ermm: Have you read through the last couple of pages in this thread?! Some of the fans have slandered Spike Lee's name and made bigoted comments about black people (which is ironic as hell seeing that the artist they love and admire is BLACK). You trust them to speak for and/or represent Mike's huge multi-demographic fanbase? I don't!

Hold on while I put the tea down. I need something stronger to drink... :crackingup:

NeedastrongerdrinkKermit_zps6ca8091f.jpg

Man, really? What am I gonna do with a piece of chalk? Get this one out of the way and do it properly for D25 please, Estate.

Back