Status hearings discussion thread / all threads merged

• Thread starter elusive moonwalker
  • Start date
Re: July 20, 2011 Hearing discussion

I said it before and I'll say it again. I like this judge.. He seems like a no nonsense person.

I, also, saw Flanagan say this on HLN (CNN). In addition, during the CNN coverage it was noted that Michael Jackson never seemed depressed in any of the rehersal footage.

well there goes he was stressed, under pressuer and desperate so self drugged theory as well.

Lawyers for Michael Jackson's Doctor Worry about Nancy Grace
By Alan Duke, CNNcnnAuthor = "By Alan Duke, CNN";
if(location.hostname.indexOf( 'edition.' ) > -1) {document.write('July 20, 2011 -- Updated 2014 GMT (0414 HKT)');} else {document.write('July 20, 2011 4:14 p.m. EDT');}July 20, 2011 4:14 p.m. EDTJuly 20, 2011 4:14 p.m. EDT

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Defense lawyers in the trial of Michael Jackson's doctor want to shield jurors from commentary by Nancy Grace, the former prosecutor who now hosts a daily show on the HLN network.
Daily commentary by Grace and others during the Casey Anthony trial this summer was "like a final argument by the prosecution," Dr. Conrad Murray's lawyer, Michael Flanagan, said Wednesday.
While the defense has not decided whether to ask that the jury in the Murray trial be sequestered, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor hinted at a hearing Wednesday he does not think it would be necessary.

Flanagan predicted media coverage of the trial of Murray, charged with involuntary manslaughter in Jackson's death, will be bigger than the wall-to-wall coverage of the Anthony case that just ended in Florida.

"How many final arguments do we have to face in this case?" Flanagan asked. "Are we going to face the one in the courtroom and the one when they go home?"
Keeping jurors in a hotel, with deputies watching over them, for two months would be expensive for the Los Angeles court system, which is already suffering under tight budget constraints. HLN, which carries Grace's nightly show, is a network owned by CNN.

Pastor announced Wednesday that jury selection will begin September 8, despite prosecutors' request for another three weeks to prepare their case because of "scheduling issues."

Jury selection was under way in May when the defense requested a delay so its expert witnesses could have more time to prepare for new experts hired by the prosecution. Pastor then dismissed hundreds of prospective jurors and rescheduled the trial to start in September.

The judge will visit Sony Studios soon to personally review more than a dozen hours of raw video of Jackson's last rehearsals for his "This Is It" tour to decide which clips, if any, will be shown to the jury.
Lawyers for each side spent the past two weeks viewing more than a hundred hours of video, narrowing down what they thought was relevant to the case. The prosecution selected 12 hours of video, while the defense identified four.

Flanagan said the video showed him that Jackson's was "very talented, that he's pretty good; even on his bad days, he's good."

The defense was looking for clues in the video to show that Jackson was in ill health in his final days, but Flanagan said it was not detectable in his performance video. Jackson also did not appear to be depressed in his final days, he said.

The defense will argue that none of the "This Is It" video is relevant to the criminal trial and would be "a big waste of time."

"It shows him onstage performing," Flanagan said. "I don't know why that's relevant as to what happened the night that he died when he couldn't sleep."

Jackson's death on June 25, 2009, was from an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol, combined with other drugs, the Los Angeles coroner ruled.
Murray, who was hired as Jackson's personal physician as he prepared for his comeback concerts in London, allegedly administered the fatal dose.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/07/20/california.conrad.murray.hearing/

Gota love how flanagan is now saying he doesnt know why the footage is been used during the trial as its irrelevent.thats not what he said a few weeks back.pathetic excuse for a human and a lawyer

Gota love how flanagan is now saying he doesnt know why the footage is been used during the trial as its irrelevent.thats not what he said a few weeks back.pathetic excuse for a human and a lawyer
my thoughts exactly

well there goes he was stressed, under pressuer and desperate so self drugged theory as well.
yup...no defense happening...they got nothing...wait and see now for a plea bargain.

Thanks for the link thunder.catch up reading it tom as its late here.anything of importance in it that we arent aware of

Thanks for the link thunder.catch up reading it tom as its late here.anything of importance in it that we arent aware of
your welcome...:)........not really just a longer version of what has already been posted...and some other mumbo jumbo..

Michael Jackson's doctor wants jury sequestered, from Nancy Grace

A lawyer for Michael Jackson’s personal physician said Wednesday that in light of the uproar surrounding the verdict in the recent Casey Anthony case, jurors in the doctor's upcoming manslaughter trial should be sequestered round-the-clock, or at least “during the hours Nancy Grace is on TV.”

Why are they giving Nancy Grace so much credit? it stuff like this that makes her feel that her opinion is important.

BTW.....she should be the last of their concern, afterall, its not like she's gonna be pro prosecution in this matter.

Why R they tryin to make Nancy Disgrace head even BIGGER? lol

Anyways, I too think it's funny how the defense now sees the TII footage as irrelevant. SMH

So let me get this straight ....
Flanagan has
- Review the evidence
- Deposed witnesses
- Viewed countless hours of rehearsal video
- Gave numerous hours of counseling to shit-for-brains Murray
BUT is worried about Nancy Grace??

I'd fire the guy.

I dont understand why they are so worried bout nancy grace, i mean serriously doesnt she hate mj anyway?

My Notes From Inside The Court Room July 20th, 2011.

Court hearing started 20 minutes late ay approx. 8.50am.
Conrad Murray was NOT present (even though this court hearing was postponed from last week and did require Murray to attend). No explanation was given.
SONY representatives were present, no Jackson family member attended the hearing…
The “status report” for the viewing of the SONY tapes was given to the judge by SONY. The judge reiterated that the motion to quash was still pending. (Why not quash and avoid this whole delay and further motions to demand removal of some clips by SONY in the future and delay procedures even more is beyond me!).
Status report stated that the Prosecution had selected 12 hours of the tapes SONY allowed them to view, the Defense chose 4 hours. Some of these hours chosen by both parties are over-lapping clips (meaning both parties chose at least 4 hours of the same material).
SONY representatives told the Judge that they think the Court should review the chosen clips (total of 16 hours, even though over-lapping. Go figure! In my mind if the 12 hours are the total of hours including the over-lapping 4, my mathematics tell me it’s still a total of 12…)
SONY asked that the Court should review the tapes at the SONY studios and not be given a DVD because certain footage was in such formats that they could not be transferred to DVD (???!!!).
The Judge said he agreed to the invitation to review the tapes at SONY studios but that his decision would be based on what is relevant to the case and not on personal life-style. He added “I am happy to take the invitation…actually I am NOT happy to take the invitation”. Laughter erupted in the court room. The Judge went on to say “If Obama could find his way to SONY studios I’m sure”. More laughter from the court room.
The Judge said he was available immediately to start reviewing the tapes and that he could do it alone without Prosecution or Defense (?!) present and that he would be done by the week-end. He asked SONY to give him directions, information and make sure he could get into to the SONY lots. SONY answered by saying “If you have a legal government Identification then it shouldn’t be a problem”. The Judge joked that his Identification didn’t look like him but might have years ago. More laughter in court room.
Defense then asked the Judge about Jury sequestration during the trial. When the Judge asked them if they meant 24/7 sequestration the prosecution said yes. Prosecution argued that with people like Nancy Grace on TV reporting odd trials the odds were that the Jurors might be influenced. The Judge answered that Prosecution had a right to file a motion regarding sequestration but that he had NO inclination towards sequestration (only on a daily trial time of 8.30am to 4.30pm) because the state of California does not have the funds for such a procedure and that he felt like the jurors should not face such deprivation.
The hearing ended by setting next Monday, July 25th as the next hearing for the preliminary determination regarding the clips will choose (if any) for the upcoming trial. At that time, prosecution, defense and SONY can file any motion against the decision made regarding the chosen clips.
Sounds like a whole load of bullshit, tax payer money and time wasted on the simple motion to quash the whole process which could have been done weeks ago.

Samantha de Gosson
http://www.facebook.com/notes/saman...e-court-room-july-20th-2011/10150262861008798

The “status report” for the viewing of the SONY tapes was given to the judge by SONY. The judge reiterated that the motion to quash was still pending. (Why not quash and avoid this whole delay and further motions to demand removal of some clips by SONY in the future and delay procedures even more is beyond me!).

Sounds like a whole load of bullshit, tax payer money and time wasted on the simple motion to quash the whole process which could have been done weeks ago.

that could open the doors for mistrial. A good judge would examine the evidence and give all sides equal chance and evaluate before making the decision so that the case wouldn't go to mistrial.

Status report stated that the Prosecution had selected 12 hours of the tapes SONY allowed them to view, the Defense chose 4 hours. Some of these hours chosen by both parties are over-lapping clips (meaning both parties chose at least 4 hours of the same material).
SONY representatives told the Judge that they think the Court should review the chosen clips (total of 16 hours, even though over-lapping. Go figure! In my mind if the 12 hours are the total of hours including the over-lapping 4, my mathematics tell me it’s still a total of 12…)

bad mathematics. some overlapping can mean it could be 1 minute or it could be up to 4 hours. so if they say 16 hours (12 +4) it seems like what's overlapping is minimal.

that could open the doors for mistrial. A good judge would examine the evidence and give all sides equal chance and evaluate before making the decision so that the case wouldn't go to mistrial.

I really hope that a mistrial doesnt happen

I believe that Michael was ready to do those shows. You watch This is It and you can feel and see him getting stronger. By showing the different rehearsals of each song. That's how I feel anyways. Michael just needed to sleep. Murray gave him something he knew as a doctor not to give him. Nothing Murray says or does can justify what he did. He was wrong and all his actions to save Michael were wrong. I will never forget the 911 call and how the operator paused when told a doctor was there and that the cpr being done was wrong. I can only imagine what the operator was thinking.

I can bet the operator was thinking WTF!!!!!??

Gossen gets its wrong re the pros
And defence sequestering the jury aswell.

Thanks for all the updates everyone,I personally think that Nancy Grace and the like should be given gag orders lol

I believe that Michael was ready to do those shows. You watch This is It and you can feel and see him getting stronger. By showing the different rehearsals of each song. That's how I feel anyways. Michael just needed to sleep. Murray gave him something he knew as a doctor not to give him. Nothing Murray says or does can justify what he did. He was wrong and all his actions to save Michael were wrong. I will never forget the 911 call and how the operator paused when told a doctor was there and that the cpr being done was wrong. I can only imagine what the operator was thinking.

Agree with every word.

Lawyers for Michael Jackson's doctor worry about Nancy Grace

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Defense lawyers in the trial of Michael Jackson's doctor want to shield jurors from commentary by Nancy Grace, the former prosecutor who now hosts a daily show on the HLN network.
Daily commentary by Grace and others during the Casey Anthony trial this summer was "like a final argument by the prosecution," Dr. Conrad Murray's lawyer, Michael Flanagan, said Wednesday.

While the defense has not decided whether to ask that the jury in the Murray trial be sequestered, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor hinted at a hearing Wednesday he does not think it would be necessary.
Flanagan predicted media coverage of the trial of Murray, charged with involuntary manslaughter in Jackson's death, will be bigger than the wall-to-wall coverage of the Anthony case that just ended in Florida.

"How many final arguments do we have to face in this case?" Flanagan asked. "Are we going to face the one in the courtroom and the one when they go home?"
Grace addressed the issue Wednesday during her eponymous show.

"The doctor charged in the death of music superstar Michael Jackson, killing him allegedly with a powerful propofol anesthesia, wants the jury sequestered, from me! From US!" she said. "Claiming watching 'Nancy Grace' will prevent a fair trial; that the jury will be biased. So I guess that makes us, umm ... the good guys!"
Keeping jurors in a hotel, with deputies watching over them, for two months would be expensive for the Los Angeles court system, which is already suffering under tight budget constraints.
HLN, which carries Grace's nightly show, is owned by Turner Broadcasting, which also owns CNN.
Pastor announced Wednesday that jury selection will begin September 8, despite prosecutors' request for another three weeks to prepare their case because of "scheduling issues."

Jury selection was underway in May when the defense requested a delay so its expert witnesses could have more time to prepare for new experts hired by the prosecution. Pastor then dismissed hundreds of prospective jurors and rescheduled the trial to start in September.

The judge will visit Sony Studios soon to review more than a dozen hours of raw video of Jackson's last rehearsals for his "This Is It" tour to decide which clips, if any, will be shown to the jury.

Lawyers for each side spent the past two weeks viewing more than 100 hours of video, narrowing down what they thought was relevant to the case. The prosecution selected 12 hours of video, while the defense identified four.
Flanagan said the video showed him that Jackson was "very talented, that he's pretty good; even on his bad days, he's good."

The defense was looking for clues in the video to show that Jackson was in ill health in his final days, but Flanagan said it was not detectable in his performance video. Jackson also did not appear to be depressed in his final days, he said.

The defense will argue that none of the "This Is It" video is relevant to the criminal trial and would be "a big waste of time."
"It shows him onstage performing," Flanagan said. "I don't know why that's relevant as to what happened the night that he died when he couldn't sleep."

Jackson's death on June 25, 2009, was from an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol, combined with other drugs, the Los Angeles coroner ruled.

Murray, whom Jackson hired to care for him as he prepared for his comeback concerts in London, allegedly administered the fatal dose.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/07/20/california.conrad.murray.hearing/index.html?iref=allsearch

So after reviewing it the defense doesn't really want to show the TII footage any more?

The defense are wasting time on purpose

Sony filed a report giving the details of the process

- 21 Boxes of materials in different formats such as Avid, hdsr, mov, mpeg3, mpeg4 etc.
- An executive, technician, security and all the lawyers were present for the viewing of the footage.

Prosecution
- wants 94 clips that equals to 12:30 hours.
- they want almost everything from June 23 -24 : 10 hours total from those 2 days
- and 10 clips from June 16.

Defense

- wants 34 clips equaling to 4 hours
- want a clip from June 18 - Michael sitting next to Ortega and just observing.

- Both sides want clip from June 24 - Michael backstage with Ortega watching special effects for TII on a television.
- Sony argues that these "Michael sitting" isn't relevant for the subpoena because it asks for footage of "Michael rehearsing"

The details of what Murray's lawyers want isn't obvious as they don't provide the details and just list the tape numbers. But the footage they want is from June 15 , 16, 18, 19, 24. and a video from press conference.

Prosecution gives details by explaining what's happening
- June 16 , 17 : MJ rehearsal
- June 19 : MJ seated at table wearing a hat
- June 23 : starting something, jam, TDCAU, Human nature, smooth criminal, black or white, beat it, TWYMM, J5 medley, dangerous, rock with you, MJ on cherry picker, MJ providing notes
- June 24 : dangerous, thriller, earth song, we are the world,rock with you, kenny showing mj spider, mj rehearsing with spider, mj watching monitors with kenny

So it ist true that Michael was in fantastic form on the two last days and obviously in the complete 100 hours. I`m glad. That was my opinion. The TINI`s are criminal people with their lies which damaged Michael`s legacy.

3 songs so far we haven`t seen yet: Dangerous, Rock with you, We are the world

Back