Teddy Talk Only

Re: Teddy Riley explains why MJ sounds different on some of the tracks

Michael has always been a true musician!! I can gaurenty you that at least 7 tracks that are on there would not be, and the ones that could possibly would have sounded different.. (against aside from BOJ) this is not MICHAEL JACKSONS album but it is a MICHAEL JACKSON album. we will never get his authentic work in full again.. As much as I hate to say it.. voices may be ultered, lets talk about Britney Spears and how her voice is ultered even though shes recorded in a studio.. not in voicemail or through pvc pipe or anything.. so give me a break!! Now its what was left of Michaels work left in the hands of todays music industry..

in an industry of auto-tunes, vocal filtering, beat making instead of true instramentals... we should be happy the album sounds the way it does..

If todays music indusry would change a nice voice like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXdvLiZy97U

TO THIS: (I would never guess this was Jamie foxx)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfjtpp90lu8

than we cannot expect TRUE MICHAEL JACKSON at its GREATEST

Sad but true...

I guess I've been too stubborn. Because Michael was such a perfectionist and he painstakingly crafted his music, I want the album that bears his name to be the best it can be.

In the world of music, there is Michael Jackson and all else. I don't want the way Britney Spear's music is done to be applied to Michael's records.

Well... I guess I can't ask for too much given the state of music industry thesedays.

Love is Magical - many of us are there with you..

In the case of this album though I cannot really blame the ultered sound of the vocal because if we have a recording not done in a studio or a poor quality studio that the audio needs ehancement it ulteres the sound.. not to mention if one song has 2 or 3 different audio sources.. lets say voicemail, pvc pipe, and home audio recording.. each is going to have different quality, different background sounds and clearity.. to make them all sound clear is hard enuff, not to mention make them clear and match in sound..

they'd have to clear up the noise (from all 3) which takes away from the depth of the voice, than they'd have to lay the vocals together, deepen one audio, lighen up another, and tweek them until they match and can go together as one audio.. its alot of hard work and honestly instead of us bashing we should be thanking because we would not have these songs without it..

If there was not so many songs leaked in the past they would have more songs to pick from that are vocally complete that could have been released.. the fact that they are using songs from home recordings, and put a song on the album that was allready released says to us Sony really does not have much to work with right now song wise...

I've never doubted the authenticity of the vocals.

But I don't understand why they messed them around.

Well, there are many things you don't understand. Riley explained why. And without that processing they wouldn't be released at all. It's just that they could have done that 'messing around' better.

Enough with the name calling. There is no need for it and will not be accepted.

Love is Magical - many of us are there with you..

In the case of this album though I cannot really blame the ultered sound of the vocal because if we have a recording not done in a studio or a poor quality studio that the audio needs ehancement it ulteres the sound.. not to mention if one song has 2 or 3 different audio sources.. lets say voicemail, pvc pipe, and home audio recording.. each is going to have different quality, different background sounds and clearity.. to make them all sound clear is hard enuff, not to mention make them clear and match in sound..

they'd have to clear up the noise (from all 3) which takes away from the depth of the voice, than they'd have to lay the vocals together, deepen one audio, lighen up another, and tweek them until they match and can go together as one audio.. its alot of hard work and honestly instead of us bashing we should be thanking because we would not have these songs without it..

If there was not so many songs leaked in the past they would have more songs to pick from that are vocally complete that could have been released.. the fact that they are using songs from home recordings, and put a song on the album that was allready released says to us Sony really does not have much to work with right now song wise...

The bolded sentence may explain why the vocals in Monster (especially the first verse) sounds so "thin" to me...

I enjoy reading your posts for you actually explained why the vocals sound different without throwing things like "Sony wouldn't do it", "it's not logical", "the doubters are conspiracy theorists", etc...

I just wanna say that most of the doubters or non-supporters are not irrational people with sub-par intelligent level. When we heard those songs, our instincts told us something wasn't right. It's true that the tracks sound different. I cannot pretend they are not just because they have the name "Michael Jackson" on them.

I guess Sony and the Estate can only work with what they have. If these are the best that they can come up with, I will lower my expectation in future posthumous release, especially when good songs like Blue Gangster, DYKWYCA, STTR are leacked recently.

Thanks for the info Teddy! I already knew these songs were real.

And to answer some questions here, the Cascio songs were included because they are good. Very good. The singing style in Hollywood Tonight is the same as the 3 Cascio tracks and no one thinks it is fake because it isn't a Cascio song.

Wrong wrong wrong and wrong! Nobody thinks HT is fake because even though it's processed and it's autuned, you CAN clearly hear Michael's vocals. And well....we...i can't hear him on the Cascio tracks. But we can go back and forth about it, and we'll never agree. But don't speak for others please.

you can change the vibrato with melodyne, it has nothing to do with moving notes up and down but it can be done, look for a tutorial in youtube.

I know it can be done (I use Melodyne quite a bit), but I'm just saying that moving the notes without doing anything else would keep the same vibrato. Teddy made it sound like the vibrato changed because he moved the notes.

Wrong wrong wrong and wrong! Nobody thinks HT is fake because even though it's processed and it's autuned, you CAN clearly hear Michael's vocals. And well....we...i can't hear him on the Cascio tracks. But we can go back and forth about it, and we'll never agree. But don't speak for others please.

Please don't get angry at me but I'm afraid there exist people who started also to doubt HT.
I read it several times now on other forums and even once here.
Of course they are wrong!!!

Bit of a contradiction isn't it? I've seen posts on this board claiming HT to be fake.

My question is, was HT recorded in the cascio basement in 2007 ? No.. so i dont really see the point of comparison.

can someone spot out where any of the MJ songs have used auto-tune??

for those who through the word around because they see some of us use it, Auto-tunes was derived from talk box that has been around for decades..

TALK BOX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bP48M2BEs0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bnkib3bfachttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VEdPCvcOcchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bP48M2BEs0

AUTO TUNES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxRvDpF2FDA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXkLYxlTGg8

they are both an electric sound.. the best way I could discribe the sound of auto tune is talk box minus 50%.. a little less electro sound..

From what I am hearing on the MJ album I hear no auto-tunes.. MJ tried using it with Will.i.am and did not like the sound so he tossed the idea.. thats the closest MJ got to auto tunes and I don't hear it used by the people that finalized the music.. hopefully with future music it stays that way

I've never doubted the authenticity of the vocals.

But I don't understand why they messed them around.

teddy made an 'artistic' decision to use technology to force Mike's vocals to fit into his (teddy's) music track - smh

arrogant lunacy

Last week Teddy tweeted the voice was already processed as he got the songs. Now he says he put the Melodyne on it. Something is fishy.

I respect Teddy Riley so much musically, he is one of my biggest influences as a musician, but I have a hard time believing a lot of what he says. Recently I was reading interviews about the Dangerous album, one from like 1992 and one from 2009. In the 92 interview, he claimed that he sampled the car sounds on "She Drives Me Wild" himself, and in the 09 interview he said that he got them from a sample CD. Little things like that make me kind of skeptical of him sometimes. The story seems to change a lot with him.

When i heard Breaking News for the first time ever this dramatic musical sting automaticly entered my head

http://www.dramabutton.com/

Anyway, I think he has every right to be angry. He doesn't deserve all the hate that MJ's fans are giving him, based on nothing but hearsay and biased opinion.

agree, i think the message of these songs is what really made the Estate , Cascios and Teddy insist on releasing these songs,,,,MJ's relation with the media , the paps, and then his love message Keep your head up...their content means alot even without music !

I just wanna say that most of the doubters or non-supporters are not irrational people with sub-par intelligent level. When we heard those songs, our instincts told us something wasn't right. It's true that the tracks sound different. I cannot pretend they are not just because they have the name "Michael Jackson" on them.

The same could be said about believers, their instincts and opinions towards how the songs sound and MJ's voice... Point?

In MY honest opinion, I cannot pretend that they sound that much different from a few other songs just because some theory about how this is not MJ started. Especially after "Invincible", which no one doubts is a "MJ album" and contains tracks that sounded very wrong to my ears - and I never claimed it wasn't MJ because I know that you can make a voice sound different and MJ was NOT trying to sound like himself in the 80's/90's. Now I listen to a few of those new songs, they sound way more like MJ than a few 'Vince tracks and people are pointing out how much different they sound and no one presents a definitive proof of this not being MJ. I just don't get it. I guess it has something to do with the fact that MJ is dead and it seems that "Sony is evil"... Even if they would be damaging themselves with something like that. MY opinion, you have yours, we have to agree to disagree and all that.

PS.: I'm just waiting for someone to quote my post and distort what I'm saying in order to further impose their agenda or boost their 'net ego. It happened before more than once and I'm sick of it.

"He (Jackson) would never consider it being a final vocal. But because he's not with us he cannot give us new vocals. What we did was utilize the Melodyne (technology) to get him in key.

"With the Melodyne we actually move the stuff up which is the reason why some of the vibrato sounds a little off or processed, over-processed. We truly apologize for that happening, but you are still hearing the true Michael Jackson."
Hmmmmmmmmmmm Well, I agree. :fear:

Thanks for posting! :)

remember when this is it came out and the jackson family said they used body doubles etc etc ....same again with this project.....

sanstitreddl.png

''We the fans have always known about this "secret" family. During the 1993 allegations, Frank and Eddie travelled with him much to the amazement of the toxic media. Dominic? told the press that he trusted Michael with his sons 100%. Frank even spoke out in Mike's defence during the 2005 trial. Michael never forgot their loyalty and friendship and probably trusted them more than some members of his own family. So stop trashing people who were there for him during his darkest times. God bless them.''

i think what Riley was trying to do is send MJ out with a BANG and give MJ some funky beats that will be hot to the mainstream as well as fans. Maybe the song "slave to the rythym" and other unreleased vocals didn't fit the beats of "monster" and "hollywood tonight"

The vocals MJ left behind for "monster" lyrically as well as the flow just probably suited the beat which is hot. He just had to speed the vocals up a bit

Last edited:

I remember when we heard a new MJ album was coming this year, everyone wanted Teddy working on it and now all you do is talk shit about him, with no facts or evidence that he has done anything wrong. It's disgusting behaviour.

:yes: I find myself pretty much agreeing with everything you say...

I am sick and tired of the way people are attacking each other over this stupid ass controversy. This is not directed towards everyone, because not everyone is acting like jackasses, but unfortunately many are. STRAIGHTEN YOUR ACT out or leave because to be quite honest, you are the ones "ruining MJ's legacy" and don't even deserve to be fans. You're rude and the exact opposite of everything Michael Jackson represents. Innocent people are being attacked and it ain't right. What happened to L.O.V.E? Mods need to start cracking down and wash away all the insanity. This has got to stop. I don't care what side of the fence you are on, you can't carry on this way. I believe the tracks are all Michael because there isn't any evidence to the contrary. Logic rules, not chaos. Seriously, pull it together.

QFT! :clapping: Great post!

What evidence is there that the songs are NOT authentic? The non-believers are the ones that have the burden of proof in this case, not the Estate and not Sony. Don't think that it's him? Then get off your ass and sue them then!

You said yourself that you bought the album; if you feel you have 3 songs that aren't Michael, then you have been defrauded and should take legal action. Since it's so obvious, as you say, then of course you will win? Why is it that everyone is quick to complain but then won't do a thing?

Sony and the Estate can't just claim that they had forensic tests done and that people's opinions are this or that. If they are lying, then they are legally culpable for those actions. None of those who were named in the Estate's statement have come forward and said that the statement was incorrect. Bruce Swedien, Matt Forger, Stewart Brawley, Michael Prince, Dr. Freeze and Teddy Riley. That's a pretty substantial list.

I'm so sick of all of this same tired crap being brought in to EVERY SINGLE THREAD on this forum without any type of evidence to back it up. We could be talking about how great the horns are in Behind the Mask, and people will pop in with "better than those 3 fake Cascio tracks." It's beyond ridiculous... if you don't have any proof, then either hire your own audiologist and find some, then take legal action or go back to the threads where that discussion would actually be considered ON TOPIC.

Again, the burden lies in the non-believers. And continually, the burden cannot be met. I fully think people should have their own opinion and if you don't believe that it's MJ, then fine... but it has its own place.

:clapping::clapping: Right on!! The only responses you will get from the people who think it's not MJ will be either:
1. I'm allowed to think what I want and have my own opinion, and people should respect that.
2. I know what I hear, and it's not Michael. Anyone who thinks it is is not a true fan or doesn't know what he sounds like.
3. They are all lying for the money.

None of those things are logical, and in order to believe it is NOT Michael, one would HAVE to be buying some sort of conspiracy theory between Sony, The Estate and the Cascios. They have to. But everyone IS entitled to believe that if they so choose, and anyone who doesn't want to buy the album does not have to. But EVERY TOPIC ON THE FORUM does not have to be disrupted by the "fake" arguments.

And what I really find sad is that people have started to talk about almost every song on the album being fake now, including HT and HMH. They are mostly non-fans who are just confused now because of all the "fake" talk. :(

Last edited:

What gets me is how they said all these songs they had were completely finished if not completely then almost. If these songs were "finished" like they said, they wouldn't have had to make such changes. The only song that sounds like it was almost 100% finished by Michael (in my opinion) was Best Of Joy.

I don't really like how they had to "process" his voice. That doesn't seem natural to me. I understand he's not here to provide new vocals but I'd honestly take a demo that was done completely by Michael Jackson rather than this processing shit done by Riley or any of the other producers who worked on this album. Michael's vocals aren't some kind of computer or toy you can mess with. Give it to us raw and real, even if the demo is crappy. I want to hear Michael Jackson, not some robot. That's the problem with music today.

That's the only problem I'm having with this album right now. However, the tracks don't sound too bad at all. I love them and I cannot wait to own the album.

What gets me is how they said all these songs they had were completely finished if not completely then almost. If these songs were "finished" like they said, they wouldn't have had to make such changes. The only song that sounds like it was almost 100% finished by Michael (in my opinion) was Best Of Joy.

I don't really like how they had to "process" his voice. That doesn't seem natural to me. I understand he's not here to provide new vocals but I'd honestly take a demo that was done completely by Michael Jackson rather than this processing shit done by Riley or any of the other producers who worked on this album. Michael's vocals aren't some kind of computer or toy you can mess with. Give it to us raw and real, even if the demo is crappy. I want to hear Michael Jackson, not some robot. That's the problem with music today.

That's the only problem I'm having with this album right now. However, the tracks don't sound too bad at all. I love them and I cannot wait to own the album.

I completely agree.....Couldn't have said it better myself....That's probably why I can't stop listening to Best of Joy :wub:

I think what he actually means is they used melodyne to process the imposter's vocals to try to get them to sound as close to the real Mj as possible.

Isn't it ironic? Here, we have a producer apologizes for messing too much with the record. And, he keeps saying Michael would have approved this? How? Michael's albums are known for top-notch production.

The more Teddy gives explanations, the more it sounds like damage control.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Back