The Legend Lives On - Official Cirque du Soleil 'Immortal World Tour' Discussion

By John Katsilometes · November 4, 2010 · 12:11 AM

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/ka...ictory-dangerous-cirque-king-jackson-devotee/

Cirque du Soleil

Jamie King is the director and writer of Cirque du Soleil and Michael Jackson's Immortal.
An Immortal commercial
Cirque du Soleil and Michael Jackson

Cirque du Soleil

Cirque du Soleil and Michael Jackson's Immortal.
The title itself is something otherworldly: Michael Jackson The Immortal World Tour. It’s jarring, in a way, as Jackson was inevitably and tragically mortal.

But the title of this Cirque du Soleil production show is not a reference to Jackson’s human mortality. It is a title evoking his music, his peerless art of dance and his legacy of childlike spirit and passion. This production is, literally, Neverland brought to the stage, a place where performers gleefully dance and play music as homage to the late King of Pop.

“This is about the energy of Michael and his spirit of his life’s light,” says “Immortal” writer and director Jamie King, who himself is aglow with a creative resume that includes a dozen years as Madonna’s creative director, steering both the Sticky & Sweet and Confessions tours.

As the comprehensive news release announcing the show notes, King has choreographed, directed or otherwise creatively partnered with Rihanna, Celine Dion, Britney Spears, Avril Lavigne, Ricky Martin, Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Shakira, George Michael, Sir Elton John, Diana Ross, Jennifer Lopez and Ellen DeGeneres.

King was even a dancer on Jackson’s 1992-’93 Dangerous Tour.

Thus, in the care of King, Cirque and The Estate of Michael Jackson, the popular music legend is truly “immortal,” and his fanciful musical biography is bound for Las Vegas next year. First reported two weeks ago by my colleague Robin Leach on the Las Vegas Sun, Las Vegas Weekly and Vegas DeLuxe Web sites, the show’s Las Vegas schedule was released officially on Wednesday. The tour stops at Mandalay Bay Events Center from Dec. 3-11, 2011. Tickets go on sale at noon Saturday at MandalayBay.com and Ticketmaster.com or by calling (800) 745-3000. Tickets are priced at $50, $80, $125, $175 and $250. (Members of the Michael Jackson Fan Club can purchase tickets now at MichaelJackson.com.)

The site is relevant in the long-term future of the Cirque-Jackson production. Mandalay Bay Theatre would be the logical venue to stage the production when it stops touring in 2012, as it has been announced that the show will be featured in an MGM Resorts hotel. “Disney’s The Lion King” leaves Mandalay Bay Theatre at the end of 2011, giving Cirque sufficient time to load the Jackson show into that space.

In discussing the arena show, the 38-year-old King exudes the excitement of a child. He was, in fact, a 12-year-old kid when he saw the Jacksons live during the Victory Tour, catching the show at Chicago’s Comiskey Park (King was raised in Wisconsin).

“I remember only that I was there, but I was a big fan. … There has not been one person who hasn’t been touched or inspired by Michael Jackson, his music or his showmanship,” King says. “For this show, you should expect the merging of the pop-rock spectacle from the ultimate showman, with pyro, live musicians and singers, fused with all that is Cirque. You’ll see a great live performance and the ‘wow’ factor of both those worlds.”

The stage will depict Neverland, a favorite Jackson “Peter Pan” reference point that, we all well remember, was the name of his estate and theme park. “The set will literally develop before your eyes, and you will see Neverland with Michael’s imagery on video.”

Don’t expect a sole Michael Jackson tribute artist to depict the show’s central figure, which would seem a needless effect considering all the technical wizardry and performance artistry the show promises. The show’s story centers on a Giving Tree, described as “the wellspring of (Jackson’s) creativity.”

Through this tree, you take what sounds for all the world like an “Alice in Wonderland,” through-the-looking-glass traipse through Jackson’s life story, filled with his hits dating to his days with the Jackson 5. There will be splashy, archival video, too, similar to the types of video panels used in the never-realized “This is It” stage show being rehearsed for 02 Arena in London at the time of Jackson’s death.

Musically, as in “Love” and “Viva Elvis,” the production team has full access to all of Jackson’s recorded material, even outtakes and unreleased songs. There will be mash-ups, manipulated tempos, live instrumentation among the 60-member cast, with Jackson’s disembodied, recorded voice singing and telling the entire story.

“This is not a cover show, or a lookalike show, but it’s definitely representing the spirit of Michael,” King says. “It’s a loose storyline, with the central characters transported into a portal that is Neverland, where they learn about his love of magic, music, unity, of one love and bringing people together.”

King halted when asked for his favorite Jackson album, citing “Dangerous” for its sentimental value (stemming from his performances on the world tour), and, not surprisingly, “Thriller.”

In a foreboding twist of fate, King was working on a show at 02 Arena when he heard Jackson had died. He’d just finished a rehearsal for Madonna’s Sticky & Sweet appearances there when word reached him in London.

“I was in my hotel room after being in rehearsal that day, and I spent most of the night up, trying to figure out how to react to Michael’s passing,” King says.

In the spring of this year, the young director was asked to be, well, the new King of pop.

“In the end, we will all feel inspired by his light and force,” King says, once more summoning the ethereal. “We will all take home a piece of Michael.”

Last edited:
Re: The Legend Lives On - Official Cirque du Soleil Announcement Now On Page 6 'Immortal World Tour'

Definitely true. I remember years ago when being an MJ fan who were seen as some kind of abnormal freak. We had to watch documentaries that had him featured constantly making fun of him, the jibes, the riducule etc. People said that he would never be able to shake the allegations and that would be his legacy not his music. However as we have seen his music is his legacy and people actually regard him as the greatest entertainer to have ever lived. People seem him for his awe inspiring talent, not the scandals. Does it anger me that this should have been done whilst Michael wa alive, yes very much so, but as they say you never know what you have until its gone. Michael's legacy his dance and his music. Quite simply, he is the King.

I am so elated about michael's posthumous success.It's silencing the haters and confounds the critics.I can remember vividly in the week that MJ died all those branding experts saying his image was tarnished and he would never have the kind of legacy elvis and lennon have.Am sure they all have eggs on their faces now,they underestimated michaels appeal because of all the negative trash they threw at him,they didnt know that people just dont like/love mj because he was an entertainer,a lot of his fans love him because he has always been in our lives and to us he is a family member,that is why he has the most dedicated fans in the world and the haters would never understand this.

I would do my part in ensuring his legacy endures by supporting all the estate approved projects.I hope this cirque show would be their most succesful show, I want him to shame the haters.

Re: The Legend Lives On - Official Cirque du Soleil Announcement Now On Page 6 'Immortal World Tour'

Will the Immortal WORLD tour only tour in the US????????

I guess if you don't live in the US or Canada you will have to wait long long time till you see the show. =\

I am so elated about michael's posthumous success.It's silencing the haters and confounds the critics.I can remember vividly in the week that MJ died all those branding experts saying his image was tarnished and he would never have the kind of legacy elvis and lennon have.Am sure they all have eggs on their faces now,they underestimated michaels appeal because of all the negative trash they threw at him,they didnt know that people just dont like/love mj because he was an entertainer,a lot of his fans love him because he has always been in our lives and to us he is a family member,that is why he has the most dedicated fans in the world and the haters would never understand this.

I would do my part in ensuring his legacy endures by supporting all the estate approved projects.I hope this cirque show would be their most succesful show, I want him to shame the haters.

that is so true... I bet a lot of them are stunned.. They all said there is no way his posthumonous would be as successful as Elvis's etc and that no one will be intersted. Mike has just made more money than all the entertainers dead and alive this year alone.. How long did it take Elvis to generate 1 billion dollars? Mike has surpassed that in over a year and a half. I love MJ and always will

Bad news, my mom told that she and my dad are broke, she told that I may never go for the AnimeNorth in May and when I told her about the tour, later she told me "Immortal Tour" or "AnimeNorth", that tored me up, she is officially pissed me off, because of this, I'm now getting very miserable, she'll regret telling me something I don't wanna hear, it's like she wants me miserable. I'm now in hell already.

Did you all read this!!!!:woohoo::rofl:
:swoon: :8-25-03stretcher:

:bugeyed :wild:

I'm praying that I'd be able to go to USA or Canada next year!

....I told my boyfriend about this...talking about it so excitedly, and I said...we HAVE to go....why aren't you excited about this???? and he was like...'well, I'd be a lot more excited if it was actually Michael....'....:cry: It was so hard to hear that, because in all my excitement, I didn't stop to think about that...Sorry to bring that up, but I just needed to get it out...

the only chance to buy them from another coutry is pickin up the tickets while there??? please answer

Will the Immortal WORLD tour only tour in the US????????

.....no....Canada too...

I forgot to mention now that I'm miserable and I don't wanna say this, but now my jealousy is getting worse and I'm getting very jealous towards most of you. I'm sorry, but I've been suffering jealousy all my life.

the only chance to buy them from another coutry is pickin up the tickets while there??? please answer

apparently yes.

and what about printing... isnt that weird??

I don't know. I find it weird as well. I have no idea why can't they just email everyone an e-ticket. It would be the easiest solution. But it looks like you have to show up at the venue with a picture ID, a credit card you used to buy the tickets and a confirmation number to pick up your tickets.

yea i choosed to pick them up there.. thanks a lot for answering :D

Los Angeles! OMG you can't believe how excited I am! IM not even sure if I'll get the money for the ticket planes but i dont care, i will get an extra job and ill be there dont matter what!!!
What did you chose? :D

Los Angeles! OMG you can't believe how excited I am! IM not even sure if I'll get the money for the ticket planes but i dont care, i will get an extra job and ill be there dont matter what!!!
What did you chose? :D

Los Angeles as well!!! :clapping: We should meet there! :wild:

thers information about what its about through out the entire thread and the article a few posts back

....I told my boyfriend about this...talking about it so excitedly, and I said...we HAVE to go....why aren't you excited about this???? and he was like...'well, I'd be a lot more excited if it was actually Michael....'....:cry: It was so hard to hear that, because in all my excitement, I didn't stop to think about that...Sorry to bring that up, but I just needed to get it out...

I know,my husband said the same thing as well,said it's not mj why are you excited.I told him I just want to have the concert feel with fellow MJ fans.he's not really intrested but I would be going with my daughter who is more than elated,She is just 5 years and looove mj with a passion.

Will this come to Singapore? Hope it does!

I don't know. I find it weird as well. I have no idea why can't they just email everyone an e-ticket. It would be the easiest solution. But it looks like you have to show up at the venue with a picture ID, a credit card you used to buy the tickets and a confirmation number to pick up your tickets.

I chose to have the tickets emailed to me. And I got them less than 10 minutes later in my inbox

You can also have them mail delivered.

I was on the phone with ticketmaster. They told me if this does well there will be more concerts added ...where is unknown right now. So don't give up.

I got my tickets ...feel a bit emotional ...as if this is a reincarnation of Michael or something. It's going to be phenomenal.

As for me, I am happy and excited because it finally looks like Michael will get a proper tribute that will honour his vision and his talent. Instead of the countless attempts to make money off his name that we saw during the past year. This is finally something that will do him justice. A proper way to pay respects to him. And it's approved by the Estate. These are the reasons I am excited about this and why I don't want to miss it.

Of course, there's not a second when I don't think that Michael's not here with us. And it's painful and of course this show can't be compared to Michael's show. But... he's not with us... :( And this show is the best way to celebrate his legacy.

I chose to have the tickets emailed to me. And I got them less than 10 minutes later in my inbox

You can also have them mail delivered.

It's only for people with credit cards issued in the US or Canada. If it's issued somewhere else, you are considered an international customer and have to pick the tickets at the venue :(

I'd love to see this so bad but there's no way I can afford flying over to the States or Canada, and there's no way I can plan my life around a date so far in the future at the moment. Also, I would have to go alone and that would suck big time. So I guess I'll just have to wait until it comes over to Europe and that will probably take a long long time. A bummer in any way to me. But I'm happy for everyone who will be able to see this, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

It's only for people with credit cards issued in the US or Canada. If it's issued somewhere else, you are considered an international customer and have to pick the tickets at the venue :(

Have a you already ordered your tickets?

Have a you already ordered your tickets?

yes, PCR and I bought them together. they are waiting for us in a ticket booth lol

Back