The most important instrument in music - The human voice

So true, unfortunately...

Singing may seem easy, but it takes a lot of soul and some technique and proper breathing and training, just like for an instrument. One has to warm up before proper singing so as not to sound like being caught off guard. Practice is important in both cases, but it has to be a compelling thing. One has to put feeling into it and learn to make it seem effortless, not tried. And one may have all the technique in the world in their voice, but unless they actually transmit something, it's useless, in my opinion.

Human voice is so complex, because it's supposed to be emitted from the soul. And while souls are also put into playing instruments, they're not alive; the voice is, it's the soul's voice, not mechanical like instruments are, and one of God's most precious gifts.

Last edited:
It's like all these dancing legends- all the hard work and inspiration that is being put into is to make it seem so effortless.

People only start realizing that the human voice is an instrument, when they suddenly hear themselves taped (and thus freak out...), or somebody forced them to sing- then a lot of people suddenly realize that it takes a lot to get something out of your vocal chords that makes people want to listen. :D

then a lot of people suddenly realize that it takes a lot to get something out of your vocal chords that makes people want to listen. :D
Not for some people it doesn't, lol.

Last edited:
As a fan of music, esp. vocal, I agree. It's vocal that makes people laugh and cry like no other.
Great vocalists are the ones who believe in the power of vocal. They also know how to treat their voice like an instrument of their own.

Listen to Bobby McFerrin's "Medicine Man". That album was made with no instrumentation at all, only his voice making the noises. The popular song from that album was "Don't worry, Be Happy". His vocal instrumentation is so effective that I did not realize no instruments (besides his voice) was used until it was pointed out.

Talk about the voice being an effective instrument!

Listen to Bobby McFerrin's "Medicine Man". That album was made with no instrumentation at all, only his voice making the noises. The popular song from that album was "Don't worry, Be Happy". His vocal instrumentation is so effective that I did not realize no instruments (besides his voice) was used until it was pointed out.

Talk about the voice being an effective instrument!
You should check out Naturally 7. There's a thread about them somewhere here.

:lol: its a bit obvious really sorry :shy: but i know what you mean :yes:

Also for me great singing is all about how many octives you can sing or how many high/low notes you can it. For me it's all about how well a person can carry a song.

If someone can sing 5 octives, yes it's very impressive but if there's no emotion behind it then the song that persons sings is left feeling empty and cold. While something with a limited vocal range could sing a song with real passion and emotion and give the song wings

i think there is a bit of an overreaction to people underrating the human voice, though that is natural rebellion against a disagreeing argument. but all instruments are equal, are God's gifts, are from the soul, can be brought to life with God's touch, and that includes dancing feet, pianos, synthesizers, drums, the human voice,(singing and rap), melodyne, autotune, etc. at the same time, in the wrong hands, all these instruments can be botched. all the instruments are equal.

Also for me great singing is all about how many octives you can sing or how many high/low notes you can it. For me it's all about how well a person can carry a song.

If someone can sing 5 octives, yes it's very impressive but if there's no emotion behind it then the song that persons sings is left feeling empty and cold. While something with a limited vocal range could sing a song with real passion and emotion and give the song wings

Right, agrees completely...

What's the point in having all the singing lessons, all the thinkable and unthinkable technical correctness to it, if the emotion isn't there, or if the voice sounds highly cultivated, but fails to deliver that something, a certain warmth and understanding of what the voice should deliver to touch the listener's soul?... The very same can be said about dancing. You have to have that 'it' that distinguishes you from other dancers, and, generally, one could say that's a given, but even though it gets cultivated with time, it doesn't have to come out forced and strained to impress the viewer. I don't know... for example, I'm thinking of when I'd watch 'So You Think You Can Dance", though, obviously all those dancers could dance and most had dancing lessons ever since little, they often failed to impress me, for they're either too technical, or too... hard on their feet, too expressive ostentatiously, and some even look like they don't have the proper body of a dancer, they're too muscular, too heavy and it just doesn't look that pleasing to watch them. ..

Back