Votes: 23 5.3%
  • Christina

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Beyoncé

Votes: 28 6.4%
  • Pink

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters
Ain't that the truth. Tongues still wag to this day about that historic night.

But it was exactly what I meant when I said they stole the scene that night. lol!:yes: Nobody wanted to know a movie that night, all eyes and attention were turned to Michael and Madonna. :wild: I remember that I read somewhere that this edition of the Oscar was the most assistance and that most had hearing in the history of Oscar.

Madonna and Michael at the Oscar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Eci7b4hZ0

A video in tribute to the king and queen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSE8twNX5-g

Last edited:
Whitney!! She was my absolute favorite female singer since I was 8.........absolutely amazing amazing voice!!! alot of her songs were the soundtrack of my teens...Run to you, Learned from the best, queen of the night, All the man that I need...man I love her songs!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say janet because she's always been my fave. female singer!
just THINKING about her concerts like the velvet rope tour!! her albums like: rhtyhm nation, janet, velvet rope..all for you, music videos like rhythm nation.. well I love the girl and so many has been inspired by her

Elvis didn't innovate anything, except making "pop star" movies. But he's the "King" (although he hated this title). We have Elvis to thank for "KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park", "Cool As Ice", "Krush Groove", "Tougher Than Leather", "Tommy", "Graffiti Bridge", "Give My Regards To Broad Street", and the many 'films' of David Bowie, Mick Jagger, Sting, Snoop Dogg, Ice-T, & Madonna. Those titles (Queen, King, Prince) are just media constructs. They don't mean anything, except to Aretha Franklin, lol.

He didnt innovate anything but I didnt give Elvis that title, White America did. Chuck Berry, Jackie Wilson, James Brown Fats Dominos etc innovated Rock in Roll and was Elvis with a white face as far as Im concerned Elvis is not the king of nothing thats why titles does not mean anything if there is nothing behind it.

Beyonce doesn't have to break any of Madonna's records to be crowned the Queen of Pop. I don't recall Madonna breaking MJ's for example. But if you want to get technical, Beyonce already had more cumulative weeks at #1 than Madonna, more Grammys, she's on her way to have written more #1s than Madonna, and she propelled a group to becoming the biggest selling girl group of all time. Not to mention she's only 27 and she's about to pass Madonna on Forbes in the coming years.

Breaking records is all about having a title such as King or Queeen of something because it means you have surprassed all artists in sells which is RELATED to music which Beyonce has yet to do. She is a POP star that is it. She has not innovated music or influenced anything. No musician or artist just a POP star for mass appeal period. There is nothing technical about anything because awards, sells, money does not mean anything if the QUALITY of the work or music is not there. So what? she has more grammies that James Brown and Marvin Gaye and going by ur logic that makes her better? PLse A grammy does not mean a damn thing and does not make u any less of an artist or greater because its not about that its about innovation and QUALITY not popular or POP. F*** those crappy number one songs that go to number one so I guess souljaboy has more number ones than Madonna so that makes him better? Destiny Child is the biggest selling because of SELLS not because of any contribution to music... come on get real.... Supremes and other female soul r&b groups did that way before and who gives a damn about Forbes and what they have to say were talking about MUSIC. She is undeserving of that title because she has made no contribution to POP music or music in general. She is not innovative. She has not influenced anything. Her music is garbage and has no quality. She does not write her own music. She does not compose or produce her own music. I can not believe anybody would put her as well as other artists mention in a list that is such a high title.

He didnt innovate anything but I didnt give Elvis that title, White America did. Chuck Berry, Jackie Wilson, James Brown Fats Dominos etc innovated Rock in Roll and was Elvis with a white face as far as Im concerned Elvis is not the king of nothing thats why titles does not mean anything if there is nothing behind it.

Breaking records is all about having a title such as King or Queeen of something because it means you have surprassed all artists in sells which is RELATED to music which Beyonce has yet to do. She is a POP star that is it. She has not innovated music or influenced anything. No musician or artist just a POP star for mass appeal period. There is nothing technical about anything because awards, sells, money does not mean anything if the QUALITY of the work or music is not there. So what? she has more grammies that James Brown and Marvin Gaye and going by ur logic that makes her better? PLse A grammy does not mean a damn thing and does not make u any less of an artist or greater because its not about that its about innovation and QUALITY not popular or POP. F*** those crappy number one songs that go to number one so I guess souljaboy has more number ones than Madonna so that makes him better? Destiny Child is the biggest selling because of SELLS not because of any contribution to music... come on get real.... Supremes and other female soul r&b groups did that way before and who gives a damn about Forbes and what they have to say were talking about MUSIC. She is undeserving of that title because she has made no contribution to POP music or music in general. She is not innovative. She has not influenced anything. Her music is garbage and has no quality. She does not write her own music. She does not compose or produce her own music. I can not believe anybody would put her as well as other artists mention in a list that is such a high title.

At least, Beyoncé CAN sing. Madonna CAN'T.

Agreed!

Beyonce will be remembered for being a good pop act - nothing more.

That's YOUR opinion. I think Madonna has a very nice voice along the lines of Janet Jackson and Diana Ross whom while not being the most vocally gifted are still dynamic in their own right and can sing any type of song.

Just because Madonna doesn't scream, wail, or do mindless riffs doesn't make her a bad singer. It's not how big your voice is, it's how you use what you've got.

Last edited:

So what is that suppose to mean?

That doesnt make her the Queen of Pop just because she sings better? And shes not that all that great of a singer to be quite honest. Shes good but obviously overrated.
There are plenty of good singers that doesnt make them the queen or king of anything if they havent innovated nothing.
The fact of the matter is... she is not original, she has not innovated anything and she is not influential... I'm not even crazy about Madonna and I find her quite overrated but comparing Madonna and Beyonce is like comparing a Dinosaur to a Hippo? I mean WTF why even compare there in two different leagues and Madonna has far more pop classics from the 80's then Beyonce ever will BUT like I said Im not even a fan of BOTH but can honestly admit that.

So what is that suppose to mean?

That doesnt make her the Queen of Pop just because she sings better? And shes not that all that great of a singer to be quite honest. Shes good but obviously overrated.
There are plenty of good singers that doesnt make them the queen or king of anything if they havent innovated nothing.
The fact of the matter is... she is not original, she has not innovated anything and she is not influential... I'm not even crazy about Madonna and I find her quite overrated but comparing Madonna and Beyonce is like comparing a Dinosaur to a Hippo? I mean WTF why even compare there in two different leagues and Madonna has far more pop classics from the 80's then Beyonce ever will BUT like I said Im not even a fan of BOTH but can honestly admit that.

I never said Beyoncé is the Queen of Pop. To me, pop doesn't even have a queen. As a vocalist, musician, dancer, songwriter, or actress, Madonna's talents seem modest. She has no natural talent contrarily to Beyoncé who is a gifted vocalist and a good dancer.

"Madonna has far more pop classics from the 80's then Beyonce ever will"- Supposition.

What has Madonna innovated?

I never said Beyoncé is the Queen of Pop. To me, pop doesn't even have a queen. As a vocalist, musician, dancer, songwriter, or actress, Madonna's talents seem modest. She has no natural talent contrarily to Beyoncé who is a gifted vocalist and a good dancer.

"Madonna has far more pop classics from the 80's then Beyonce ever will"- Supposition.

What has Madonna innovated?

When I make my posts you miss the whole point of them because otherwise you would not have asked that ridiculous question. My first post in this thread I stated that everybody on that list is not deserving of that title because no one has innovated anything that is mentioned.

You said that Madonna as a vocalist, musician, dancer,songerwriter actress etc is modest but yet you say beyonce is superior when she is average in those areas herself. Beyonce is not a great dancer. If you call shaking ur behind and throwing your body all over the stage entertainment then I guess you need to look at REAL dancers such as Michael Jackson, James Brown, Bojangles, Nicholas Brothers, Katherine Dunham etc.... There is a BIG difference from someone who is a natural born dancer versus someone who is trying to dance and sing at the same time JUST to put on a show... AND so what neither does Beyonce... Beyonce does not write any of her music, she is not a musician... she doesnt play instruments or uses REAL instruments in her music, she does not produce any of her music and she can not act for ish... the only reason why she gets the acting roles that she does is because she is POPULAR and to sit here and say otherwise is ridiculous...

I'm not defending neither one of them just stating the facts...Im not a fan of neither one of them and their both overrated but your vocalist logic is distorted... going by that logic Beyonce is better than Diana Ross, Janet Jackson and Bob Dylan because she is vocally stronger which is ridiculous. She is a good singer, not the BEST, not the BEST that is out now.. and shes only good when she is not screaming and over singing.Thats exactly the fundamentals when your learning how to sing.

I stated that IF I had to choose from the list it would be Madonna solely on commercial success but she hasnt innovated anything as far as pop music goes either, and Ive stated that BUT thats only if I had to choose otherwise I would not choose any of the people on the list because nobody on that list is deserving of a title of that stature. And it pists me off when people make up retarded lists and put people like Beyonce, Brittany Spears, Christina etc competeing with people that is out of there league JUST because there Popular now which doesnt mean anything.

When I make my posts you miss the whole point of them because otherwise you would not have asked that ridiculous question. My first post in this thread I stated that everybody on that list is not deserving of that title because no one has innovated anything that is mentioned.

You said that Madonna as a vocalist, musician, dancer,songerwriter actress etc is modest but yet you say beyonce is superior when she is average in those areas herself. Beyonce is not a great dancer. If you call shaking ur behind and throwing your body all over the stage entertainment then I guess you need to look at REAL dancers such as Michael Jackson, James Brown, Bojangles, Nicholas Brothers, Katherine Dunham etc.... There is a BIG difference from someone who is a natural born dancer versus someone who is trying to dance and sing at the same time JUST to put on a show... AND so what neither does Beyonce... Beyonce does not write any of her music, she is not a musician... she doesnt play instruments or uses REAL instruments in her music, she does not produce any of her music and she can not act for ish... the only reason why she gets the acting roles that she does is because she is POPULAR and to sit here and say otherwise is ridiculous...

I'm not defending neither one of them just stating the facts...Im not a fan of neither one of them and their both overrated but your vocalist logic is distorted... going by that logic Beyonce is better than Diana Ross, Janet Jackson and Bob Dylan because she is vocally stronger which is ridiculous. She is a good singer, not the BEST, not the BEST that is out now.. and shes only good when she is not screaming and over singing.Thats exactly the fundamentals when your learning how to sing.

I stated that IF I had to choose from the list it would be Madonna solely on commercial success but she hasnt innovated anything as far as pop music goes either, and Ive stated that BUT thats only if I had to choose otherwise I would not choose any of the people on the list because nobody on that list is deserving of a title of that stature. And it pists me off when people make up retarded lists and put people like Beyonce, Brittany Spears, Christina etc competeing with people that is out of there league JUST because there Popular now which doesnt mean anything.

You misunderstood what I said.
Since both Madonna's and Beyoncé's writing and musician skills are modest, the only thing you can compare them on is the vocal skills. Since Bey's vocal skills are better than Madonna's, I can conclude that Bey is better than her.
With that said, since Bod Dylan (for example) is a great song-writer and musician, you can't say that Beyoncé is better/equal/worse just because she sings better/equal/worse, because- even if Bey is a better vocalist- Dylan is a better writer and musician.

I couldn't care less about neither Beyoncé nor Madonna. But since you were so arrogant to me, I'm going to enlighten you:
Beyoncé writes some of her music.
Beyoncé is a good dancer, despite the fact that she sucks compared to the dancers you mentioned.
Beyoncé has been nominated for 2 Golden Globes...bad actress?
And yes, she is a gifted vocalist even when she is screaming and over singing.

You misunderstood what I said.
Since both Madonna's and Beyoncé's writing and musician skills are modest, the only thing you can compare them on is the vocal skills. Since Bey's vocal skills are better than Madonna's, I can conclude that Bey is better than her.

I dont understand how that makes her better when she oversings and screams. She's not that great of a vocalist herself but I already stated that she is a stronger vocalist than Madonna so whats the point in constantly bringing that up it doesnt prove anything and it doesnt necessarily make her better than Madonna JUST because she is a stronger vocalist when she is average herself depending on what song she sings.

With that said, since Bod Dylan (for example) is a great song-writer and musician, you can't say that Beyoncé is better/equal/worse just because she sings better/equal/worse, because- even if Bey is a better vocalist- Dylan is a better writer and musician.

I dont know what kind of comparision that was... because not only was Bob Dylan a great musician and songwriter, he was ALSO influential in music and innovative so I dont know how you could compare him to ..... Beyonce just because of the vocal thing when Bob Dylan was much more and was much more to music besides just vocals.

I couldn't care less about neither Beyoncé nor Madonna. But since you were so arrogant to me, I'm going to enlighten you:
Beyoncé writes some of her music.

Beyonce has not sat down in a chair and wrote an entire album herself... let alone an entire song herself and please correct me if Im wrong and im not talking about CO writing Im talking about pen to paper writing like Stevie Wonder... like Prince etc.

Beyoncé is a good dancer, despite the fact that she sucks compared to the dancers you mentioned.
How is she a good dancer? What makes a good a dancer? Putting on a good show is different from being a great dancer. I can come out of a hat alot of her OWN peers that are far better than her and they are very average dancers themselves...
Usher
Ciara
Omarion
A dancer should be able to dance by themselves in the middle of a stage.... Beyonce can not do that and never will because she is limited and she cant dance.

Beyoncé has been nominated for 2 Golden Globes...bad actress?
And yes, she is a gifted vocalist even when she is screaming and over singing.

Ask yourself this... why was she nominated? You can look at the movies for yourself.. She was nominated because she is a POPULAR ACT period... it has nothing to do with talent.. I mean for crying out loud Three Six Mafia a crappy rap group won an oscar and Rhinna won a grammy and you sit here and act like awards should be taken seriously... she has won more than Marvin Gaye and James Brown so that makes her better than them?

Who cares if she is a gifted vocalist? That should not justify her screaming and oversinging a song. A great singer is someone like Whitney Houston who is far better than her. There are plenty of singers better than Beyonce and vice versa. Shes not all that good of a singer because a good singer would not over sing or scream an entire song (regardless of how strong of a vocalist they are)

At the end of the day, awards does not mean anything... if there is nothing real behind it especially ESPECIALLY if were talking about todays POP music which is all garbage.

And maybe I am being arrogant with this debate and I dont feel bad about it because its within good reason. Im always this way when it comes to mainstream music because its garbage and im tired of people acting like its good when its not and im tired of overrated artists who do nothing get praised while other artist who really write, produce etc get nothing. You can have your opinion, thats your opinion and nobody cant change that but dont sit here and claim an artist is the Queen of anything or writes there music or whatever when they havent done any of that... JUST A POP STAR.. thats it nothing more nothing less.

I, for one, have ALWAYS loved Madonna's voice... I think it is very sexy and not annoyingly screechy like some of the other female artists' listed. She has her own style, and I especially love her song, "Live To Tell" when she sings really, really deep. I have always loved her mezzo soprano and alto notes in her songs. Goes to show everbody just has their own personal opinions and tastes on what voice reflection is appealing to their ear. *shrug*

How can people say Madonna?
I don't think she has ever written or definitely composed a song herself. she can't really sing live and her dancing isn't to spectaculair either.
I think a queen of pop should have the total package.

To me she is nothing more than an 80's Britney Spears.

I feel the same way for most of the other singers on that list so I choose Janet.
Janet comes pretty close to Michael in my opinion.

Here are a couple of my favorite live performances of "Live To Tell." I absolutely LOVE the studio-recorded version of the song as well, but for some reason, Youtube doesn't like the US or whatever--so I couldn't find the original video with sound. :smilerolleyes:

Anyways, like I said... I llooove her mezzo-soprano/alto-style voice. I think it's EXTREMELY sexxxy. I just love how she sings so, so deeply in this song, and then transforms her voice back to her regular mezzo-soprano voice type/state. :wub:

BTW, I was a Choir Geek in both Junior High and High School, so I apologize if what I am saying is somewhat confusing, but I can assure you that I do know WTH I'm talking about. :p

I think that this is actually my favorite song from her. I karaoke this shit up whenever I get the chance!! :D The lyrics are very deep and meaningful, and I can totally feel all of her words. :angel:

Last edited:
I feel the same way for most of the other singers on that list so I choose Janet.
Janet comes pretty close to Michael in my opinion.

Lol, you bare criticizing Britney and Madonna for not being huge songwriters... How many songs did Janet write without the help from other people??? Janet, for sure is no-where like Michael when it comes to song-writing and talent, and she is not even close to being the Queen of pop. From the mid 80s to the mid 90s she might have been high on the list of popular female artists, these days she is very far away from the Queen of pop title though.... I've always liked Janet, and am one of the few people who brought some of her first singles eg. the duet "Two to the power of love" with Cliff Richard, but only people who are fanatic MJ fans and would call her the queen of pop....

Last edited:
Madonna's career worldwide has been extraordinary and she's had massive chart success in every major country and territory in terms of only Elvis, the Beatles, and Michael had beyond their native country. No other female artist remotely comes close bottom line.

JANET! Definitley!!

2nd Madonna (love her too! she is great and I even consider myself as a little fan, but Janet is still the best ;) )
3rd Beyoncé
4th Mariah

Well, I like Whitney but I don't know.. I just don't see her as Queen of pop, but as a great singer. Kylie...mmm... don't like her that much. And about Britney, Christina and Pink, they are great but I think it takes more time to become the Queen of Pop. I mean all other singer that are mention are in the music business for more than one decade.

Last edited:
Lol, you bare criticizing Britney and Madonna for not being huge songwriters... How many songs did Janet write without the help from other people??? Janet, for sure is no-where like Michael when it comes to song-writing and talent, and she is not even close to being the Queen of pop. From the mid 80s to the mid 90s she might have been high on the list of popular female artists, these days she is very far away from the Queen of pop title though.... I've always liked Janet, and am one of the few people who brought some of her first singles eg. the duet "Two to the power of love" with Cliff Richard, but only people who are fanatic MJ fans and would call her the queen of pop....

I have to agree with this. I'm not saying ALL of them feel this way... because I know there are some fans on here who truly like Janet more than MJ... But this seems to ring true to the majority on this board, obviously since it's an MJ fan board. :rofl:

The discussion gets hot why is Madonna. She always cause controversy everywhere. I'm shocked by this. Who i am sure if any other singer would be no killing in the discussion. All this discussion that is Madonna. There is nothing to discuss and question: Madonna is the Queen of Pop.
The magazines, newspapers, critics and scholars about music, confirm that she is the queen. She may not have a great voice, she can not be yelling into the microphone like Beyoncé, Mariah Carey or Celine Dion, but she knows it reinvent itself and no other singer comes time to Madonna. This is evident in their tours and who has been to a Madonna concerts knows what I'm talking about. Madonna is smart, knows how to do marketing and is a great businesswoman. Although there was no singer who could take the place of Madonna. So, who does not like her will have to settle that she is the Queen of Pop and will remain for long. :)

Once again, I have always LOVED Madonna's voice. Does a female vocalist have to screech and yell into the microphone to be considered talented? I think not. Listen to Toni Braxton. Such a beautiful, soothing, deep, deep, alto voice... she's amazing and doesn't have to yell and scream at everybody to prove she has talent. Some people have completely no idea about different voice types and their reflections, notes, etc. Just being biased once again. :smilerolleyes:

I have to agree with this. I'm not saying ALL of them feel this way... because I know there are some fans on here who truly like Janet more than MJ... But this seems to ring true to the majority on this board, obviously since it's an MJ fan board. :rofl:

Agrees, and looking at it objectively, Janet has sold maybe 20 million outside the USA versus Madonna having sold nearly 4 times that amount of albums. A pop music queen is someone who conquers the music world the way that the Kings like Elvis and Michael did during their lifetime and after they left us their indelible marks. Madonna is the Queen.

Lol, of course we are all MJ fans here, but some people take it to another level and think they have to be supportive of anything connected with him, eg. calling Janet for the Queen of pop... :clap:

Though I'm not a fan I think Madonna is the Queen of Pop. Thinking of influence to pop music it can only be her. She always reinvents herself and she's successful with what she's doing over all these years.

Though I'm not a fan I think Madonna is the Queen of Pop. Thinking of influence to pop music it can only be her. She always reinvents herself and she's successful with what she's doing over all these years.

Madonna hasn't had much influence on Pop music as Janet has.

Back