Think back to 1991...

Absolutely!!
Anyway, what was the idea behind it? LOL :D
Yes, yes... MJ was a different MJ from the one of the 80's.
Besides the leotard, when I think of MJ-90's, I have this image of him wearing his fedora, red shirt and black pants. Almost like a uniform!

Really? When I think of MJ from the 90s...the first and foremost image is open white unbottoned shirt and black pants with hair flying everywhere..I guess the black or white outfit..but more the look from the superbowl. I feel like that outfit is a really defining one for MJ..even more than the beat it jacket or billie jean sparkly jacket in my opinion..

I was 11 years old when the Dangerous era had started. But for some strange I can only remember almost half of it. But it was really awesome. I don't remember seeing the world premiere of the Black Or White video. But I do remember seeing the world premiere of the videos for Jam and Remember The Time. And OMG were they ever so awesome to see them. I even remember seeing the In The Closet video back in Spring of 92. And Michael's Dangerous Bucharest Concert at my cousin's house since I didn't have HBO at the time. And I even remember seeing the MJ Simpsons episode that Michael did when it first aired. I even remember seeing the commercial for Michael's Dangerous Short Films VHS tape. There was phone number for you to call and order it. And OMG did I ever so wanted that video tape. Of course I have also seen the Oprah interview back then. And that was really awesome to see that interview. It still remains my number 1 favorite MJ interview.

I had so many great memories during the Dangerous Era. Just like the 80s the Dangerous Era was still a great time to be a Michael Jackson fan. I am so glad I was born in 1980.

One thing that annoys me is when people say that with Dangerous, he changed his musical style too much...but if he didn't, then he'd of been slated by critics for 'not evolving or whatever (which is what I think they said about Invincible!)

He's a clever man, he knows what's going on in the music scene and needed to change his style to appeal to a wider audience, so that's what he did, making Dangerous a bit more "Rock" & "Rap".

I personally think it's his best album...however it always seems to be ignored by the media, it's always only Thriller and Bad that tend to get mentioned in any sense.

Really? When I think of MJ from the 90s...the first and foremost image is open white unbottoned shirt and black pants with hair flying everywhere..I guess the black or white outfit..but more the look from the superbowl. I feel like that outfit is a really defining one for MJ..even more than the beat it jacket or billie jean sparkly jacket in my opinion..

It's funny how we all have different memories of MJ at certain times. When i think of 90's MJ i think of the way he was dressed in the Jam video for some reason

I was only 4, but I have a question. I understand that Michael told Oprah that he had vitiligo in 1993, was there no mention of vitiligo before this because the Black or White video came out in 1991 and a few comments on here stated how he was so much lighter than ever before. If I remember right there was some stir about how light he was in the BAD era and music video/album cover. Any help on this would be appreciated

Absolutely. It's weird to share my childhood hero (I was born in the early 70s, a true Generation X-er) with people that could essentially be my kids.

And it's INCREDIBLE and wonderful. Only Michael can do that.

It always makes me smile when I hear people say I was born in 1991 or 1995, for some reason I find it to be so cute lool :lol: I don't know why..maybe because it makes me feel old..like hey i remember that year lol. And kids 9 and under have all been born in 200- something..that's crazy! Do older fans feel that way about people born in the 80s like myself?

Even though i was 2 at the time i actually remember the Dangerous era days very well. I remember that me and my family was on vacation in Spain at the time Black Or White was released and i also remember dancing to Black Or White, Billie Jean and The Way You Make Me Feel during the night time parties out there. Also the hotel that we stayed in had the Moonwalker video game

So many great memories when Dangerous came out. I'm old enough to remember it, I was 5 at the time, and I remember jumping up and down when Black and White first came on I was so excited. My dad had the album and I literally used to spend hours with it blaring in the living room and staring at the CD cover. My dad also had the tape and when we were in the car I demmanded that my dad put Dangerous on over my mums Simply Red album. She wasn't too thrilled that she kept getting outvoted! And I used to drive my parents crazy as all I ever did when BOW came out was sing it. Over and over and over again!

I can tell you that this is true.

I was a junior in high school when BAD came out - and me being the hardcore fan since my early childhood, I was SHOCKED.

There was no internet, no nothing except MTV. And MJ was not to be seen anywhere before the BAD album cover.

And when Michael appeared on the BAD cover - after not seeing him since the Victory tour photos, it was shocking to see the transformation.

At first, I did believe the rumors - that he was ashamed of his roots - but that all changed when I heard the MUSIC. That did it for me - because Michael transcended the physical - it became spiritual for him and for all of us who love him.

The BAD album is an incredible album - then to add the kung-fu kick of the BAD tour & Moonwalker movie, WOW.

WOW.

Michael was crucified because he wanted to defend his private life and medical history. How would anyone like it if their medical illnesses were made public? He did what he had to do.

Anyway - that's my take. Any other oldies want to share their stories???

I was only 4, but I have a question. I understand that Michael told Oprah that he had vitiligo in 1993, was there no mention of vitiligo before this because the Black or White video came out in 1991 and a few comments on here stated how he was so much lighter than ever before. If I remember right there was some stir about how light he was in the BAD era and music video/album cover. Any help on this would be appreciated

So many great memories when Dangerous came out. I'm old enough to remember it, I was 5 at the time, and I remember jumping up and down when Black and White first came on I was so excited. My dad had the album and I literally used to spend hours with it blaring in the living room and staring at the CD cover. My dad also had the tape and when we were in the car I demmanded that my dad put Dangerous on over my mums Simply Red album. She wasn't too thrilled that she kept getting outvoted! And I used to drive my parents crazy as all I ever did when BOW came out was sing it. Over and over and over again!
Aww, How cute! When I was five I lived in my own little world of disney and cartoons, I wasn't a fan of real people at that age yet but oddly enough I knew who Michael was b/c my mom always tells me that when he came on TV, I would always say " Mommy, the man that pulls his thingy's on TV! "
LOL. I know I was kind of ditsy back then.:doh:

Last edited:
Absolutely. It's weird to share my childhood hero (I was born in the early 70s, a true Generation X-er) with people that could essentially be my kids.

And it's INCREDIBLE and wonderful. Only Michael can do that.

Lol...:lol:. That's awesome!

Hmm 1991. What the heck was I doing back then? I had just finished four (plus) agonizing, torturous years of college (by the skin of my teeth) and was enjoying my new found freedom from text books and tests and annoying professors with speech impediments. I had begun to work full time and earning full-time pay which was really nice. Yep, no internet back then. How did we ever survive??? I didn't have internet until 1996! Oh, college would have been such a breeze for me had I only had the internet. You lucky kids today!!! LOL!!!

Now, as far as Michael Jackson's Dangerous goes, I remember watching the Black or White video and how everyone was talking about the morphing faces and all the effects in the video (sorry, I know MJ referred to them as his short films but I am just used to saying videos).

I really, really remember "Remember The Time" and really loving the dancing and the cast in that video. That song is so great. My niece was a pre-teen then and was into dance and she used to mimic the dance steps of MJ's RTT video and Madonna's videos and I would "direct" or "choreograph" her...just for fun. Of course, she doesn't remember all this now. :smilerolleyes:

Of course, I know the other releases from the CD, Jam, Heal The World, Will You Be There, Give In To Me, Gone Too Soon...but specific memories of those days in relation to those songs are fading away while my gray hairs grow brighter and brighter.:mello:

So you and I are more or less the same age - do you remember the time, that "Remember the Time" came out???

IT WAS EPIC!!!!!!!!!

We all did the dances!!!

And how scandalous was the Michael and Iman kiss???? OMG. Every girl wanted to be Iman then.

Then Will you be there - Heal the World - Jam and the funny video with the other famous MJ, Michael Jordan - EPIC.

Everything MJ did was EPIC, since the day he was born in Gary, Indiana.

Hmm 1991. What the heck was I doing back then? I had just finished four (plus) agonizing, torturous years of college (by the skin of my teeth) and was enjoying my new found freedom from text books and tests and annoying professors with speech impediments. I had begun to work full time and earning full-time pay which was really nice. Yep, no internet back then. How did we ever survive??? I didn't have internet until 1996! Oh, college would have been such a breeze for me had I only had the internet. You lucky kids today!!! LOL!!!

Now, as far as Michael Jackson's Dangerous goes, I remember watching the Black or White video and how everyone was talking about the morphing faces and all the effects in the video (sorry, I know MJ referred to them as his short films but I am just used to saying videos).

I really, really remember "Remember The Time" and really loving the dancing and the cast in that video. That song is so great. My niece was a pre-teen then and was into dance and she used to mimic the dance steps of MJ's RTT video and Madonna's videos and I would "direct" or "choreograph" her...just for fun. Of course, she doesn't remember all this now. :smilerolleyes:

Of course, I know the other releases from the CD, Jam, Heal The World, Will You Be There, Give In To Me, Gone Too Soon...but specific memories of those days in relation to those songs are fading away while my gray hairs grow brighter and brighter.:mello:

Y'all should be glad you weren't born in the 50's or 60's - you'd be having other issues right now instead :lol:

Tell me about it!

It really is kind of strange to be on a fan message board where other fans of this icon are teenagers and I am an aging baby boomer. I guess that's one of the great things about Michael - his fans span all ages.

So you and I are more or less the same age - do you remember the time, that "Remember the Time" came out???

IT WAS EPIC!!!!!!!!!

We all did the dances!!!

And how scandalous was the Michael and Iman kiss???? OMG. Every girl wanted to be Iman then.

Then Will you be there - Heal the World - Jam and the funny video with the other famous MJ, Michael Jordan - EPIC.

Everything MJ did was EPIC, since the day he was born in Gary, Indiana.

I remember the time! Heh! I loved the dancing and the whole Egyptian theme. I just didn't dance. I've never really danced in public - too shy. Well, I did when I was younger and less self conscious. But I remember my little niece dancing to that video very clearly.

I'm not sure how I felt about that kiss. I can't remember. I guess I really can't remember the time!!! Haha!

THE KISS, here - but you have to watch the full video - near the end- about 3/4 into the way...

edit: 6:00 into the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeiFF0gvqcc

REMEMBER THE TIME!!!

I remember the time! Heh! I loved the dancing and the whole Egyptian theme. I just didn't dance. I've never really danced in public - too shy. Well, I did when I was younger and less self conscious. But I remember my little niece dancing to that video very clearly.

I'm not sure how I felt about that kiss. I can't remember. I guess I really can't remember the time!!!

Last edited:
I was in junior high and I remember specifically thinking...when is MJ going to come out with another album? That same week is when I saw the video premier for Black or White...it was awesome. All the news channels were talking about it for weeks, specifically about the ending! I bought the album right away and me and my younger brother would listen to it after school every day. I would bring my cd player into his bedroom and we would just lie on his bedroom floor and listen to the whole thing. Fun times! Then, I remember watching the Jam video for the first time, I believe it was aired during the summer olympics. I also remember watching his Dangerous tour that was aired on VH1, over and over and over again! There would always be MJ weekends on VH1 and MTV around that time. They would play his videos all weekend long, it was great. I also remember staying up late to watch the Oprah interview and The Jacksons, An American Dream with my mother. Everyone at school would be talking about it the next day. Great memories!

NO ONE - and I repeat - NO ONE had done it before Michael did it - ever. Now, this performance is used as a model for all major sports events, even the Olympics.

yeah I remember watching this, I even taped it. I think I still have it on VHS somewhere.

I was in junior high and I remember specifically thinking...when is MJ going to come out with another album? That same week is when I saw the video premier for Black or White...it was awesome. All the news channels were talking about it for weeks, specifically about the ending!

Oh man i remeber everyong was mad as bout the ending! Mothers were really angry bout it.

Because Mike was kinda reclusive between albums (and there wasn't really much internet then like there is not to track celebrities every move) when the Bad album came out it was kinda a shock for ppl to see the change in his skin and face. He hadn't said anything about vitiligo at the time, so the rumors were flying that he was lightening his skin because he didn't wanna be Black, didn't wanna look like his father, wanted to look like Diana Ross etc. It was all in the papers and on tv. My memory at that time (I was 10) was pulling out the Thriller record and my Bad tape, putting them side by side and trying ot figure out why he looked so different. I think I stared at those two covers for 10 minutes... I couldn't figure it out.. but this 10 year old just let it go and that was that.

When Dangerous came out, again since he hadn't really been seen in public that much, when he DID appear in the BoW video the rumors started flying again because he was even lighter that he was before. I think though alot of ppl kinda came to their own conclusions and thought "Oh well, that's just Michael" because no one else was getting lighter like that. At least no one in our world, you know? There weren't any stories about other ppl with vitiligo or anything like that in the papers. And if I'm not mistaken he hadn't even done the Oprah interview yet so no one knew what he was doing to his skin. I guess it was just a genera consensus, at least w/ the ppl I remember talking to about it, and the things I was seeing on tv and in the papers at that time, that he was just getting lighter, probably doing something to his skin obviously and everyone had speculation on the reasons why.

As for the BoW premiere, I remember every one was waiting for the video that night. It was the first time a video would be on like four different stations at the same time, so it was a pretty big deal. We were all talking about it in school the next day, especially the panther dance. I remember watching all that crotch grabbing and yelling and window smashing and shirt ripping with my parents in the living room. I was 14. So that was fun. :D

I remember the apology in the paper the next day... and they never showed that part of the video again after that. Thank goodness for youtube. :cheeky:

For Black Or White...I'm not surprised people took the ending the wrong way.

Why didn't they put the racist terms on the windows and stuff in the first place?!

And I imagine it was pretty awkward watching the panther dance...with your family in the room, right?

I was 6 i think when B.O.W video came out and i loved the ending. I suppose i was too young to understand what the fuss was bout with the ending, but as i grew older i began to understand.

"People" didn't take it the wrong way - they got the message.

It was the bullshyt "media" that distorted the message, making it more than what it really was meant to be.

For Black Or White...I'm not surprised people took the ending the wrong way.

Why didn't they put the racist terms on the windows and stuff in the first place?!

And I imagine it was pretty awkward watching the panther dance...with your family in the room, right?

Some people got the message and unfortnately some didnt.

Alot of people didn't get the message honestly. I can't say if it did or didn't have anything to do with HIM specifically, but I can tell you for a 14 year old I didn't know WHAT was going on. I just saw a whole lotta touching and grabbing. It wasn't like it is today where you can go to youtube or whatever and go back and see things that you didnt' see the first time you watched something. I didn't see KKK messages written on car windows and things like that.

It's like because your eyes are glued to HIM that you aren't looking around the screen for "messages" you know? So when all you're seeing his him touching himself and dancing and smashing windows, then that's ALL you see, you're not looking for anything else. Now maybe if they hadn't stopped playing that part of the video after there was such a public outcry and apology, ppl might have been able to watch a second or third time and see these messages that we missed the first time we watched.

Alot of people didn't get the message honestly. I can't say if it did or didn't have anything to do with HIM specifically, but I can tell you for a 14 year old I didn't know WHAT was going on. I just saw a whole lotta touching and grabbing. It wasn't like it is today where you can go to youtube or whatever and go back and see things that you didnt' see the first time you watched something. I didn't see KKK messages written on car windows and things like that.

It's like because your eyes are glued to HIM that you aren't looking around the screen for "messages" you know? So when all you're seeing his him touching himself and dancing and smashing windows, then that's ALL you see, you're not looking for anything else. Now maybe if they hadn't stopped playing that part of the video after there was such a public outcry and apology, ppl might have been able to watch a second or third time and see these messages that we missed the first time we watched.

I think the main problem was for ppl with that part of the video, they thought it was wayy too raunchy and too "Adult". i guess they didnt expect michael to go as far as he did in that part of the vid.

Back