Think back to 1991...

They so didn't kiss. :lol: I remember my friends and I talking about it (ugh u guys... memories!) u can see there was a space between their faces when Iman kneels. We wondered why they didn't kiss... or why they decided to use that take where you could clearly see the space... why didn't they do another take and do the kiss again? :lol:

We dug the video anyway cause it was HOT! And so NOT Mike's usual style, the Egyptian theme, the kiss that never was, the outfits, the dancing.. he was killing it! :cheeky:

I just looked at the kiss part again and they definitely are kissing, at least to my eyes. I don't see a space, lol.

The part that appears most awkward to me is when Michael puts his hand on her back. Can't put my finger on why. I just get that feeling.

Anyway, GREAT video and song! :D

I was in my last year at primary school in 91. I remeber the big hype with the dangerous album at the time, which was huge. After the magical ride during the Bad era evertone was thinking, whats gonna come next with dangerous.

The Black n White video was the talk of my class I remember Everyone was saying whats Mj gonna do this time around and stuff. I got the dangerous cassette for my xmas that year. I would say back then the hype was massive for dangerous.

And sadly, there is no other artist that I can think of that can match the "hype" to the music they put out.

Well I was a little black girl around 5. A lot of people were wondering if MJ could make another hit album, especially since the hip hop was big in the black community and starting to become more popular. People thought MJ couldn't rule another decade. I think that's why Jam was the first released song off the album. I remember Black or White was premiering and my family taped it on VHS. When "remember the time" came out it was another big event because MJ was doing more current dance moves and the video had a lot of cameos in it.

Me, me!!! I said it before, the kiss was THE kiss!!!!!!!! I remember people being like -->
Shock.gif

I mean, EVERY single film was shocking. There was always something incredible on them: morphing, dances, kisses, big stars. And as someone said before, Michael wouldn't allow us to rest. Nop. One after the other. We would be still amazed by BoW and then he hit us with RTT. My favourite.

But then In the closet!!! And everybody wanted to be Naomi... he being so sweet and she being so... well... "special", what a mixture!!

Jam was also great. I remember these little rapper boys... Kriss Kross?? and of course, the "Big" rapper LOL!!

Great, great times of great music!!

And back then you didn't ask people if they liked Michael Jackson. It was a cultural thing. EVERYBODY LIKED MICHAEL JACKSON. Period. Haters were around, sure, but in terms of music, people had no single question, we all loved the King's music. It was a natural, expected, known fact. No questions about it. Everybody HAD to liked MJ, it was part of your education. If someone didn't then s/he would be considered weird. At least in my country things were like that. We didn't talk that much about him since it was obvious he was the best. I mean it, there were no questions.

Can you imagine that? Now I see back then it was all so easy and natural and Michael was simply out of this world and he would be around forever. Forever changing, forever surprising, forever dancing and thrilling our world.

"Forever"... what a crazy word....

Awwww! It all seems so exciting!

It makes me feel kinda sad. You just described an ideal world for me. A world where Michael was respected. Too bad forever didn't last.

Anyways, I was born in 1991. I wished I was able to experience the hype for Michael. All my generation has now are tweenies and teen idols. :angry: I am so tired of the media over-praising Taylor Swift... She's just way too overexposed now. Along with Twilight and other boring stars...

I was born in 1987, I was a fan of moonwalker and knew of Michael since the early 90's, but I did not get interested in music until later on, I was a video game kid... n64!!! But I always remember watching the legend continues because my dad bought it back then. I wish I could have remembered the dangerous era, I only really experienced the invincible era

Awwww! It all seems so exciting!

It makes me feel kinda sad. You just described an ideal world for me. A world where Michael was respected. Too bad forever didn't last.

Anyways, I was born in 1991. I wished I was able to experience the hype for Michael. All my generation has now are tweenies and teen idols. :angry: I am so tired of the media over-praising Taylor Swift... She's just way too overexposed now. Along with Twilight and other boring stars...
We're on the same page. I was born in 1991 too. Can't stand the disposable disney channel stars either.Don't even get me started with Twilight:puke:. My friends think I'm retarded b/c I totally despise what's hot now.

It's like no one knows what Talent is nowadays. There's nothing legendary for or about our lousy generation.

The "Jam" video, however was really special for me, because I idolized both Jordan and Jackson, and I never thought that they would team up for a music video (outside of my dream world lol).

Yeh michael jordon was my fave basketballer bck then.

We're on the same page. I was born in 1991 too. Can't stand the disposable disney channel stars either.Don't even get me started with Twilight:puke:. My friends think I'm retarded b/c I totally despise what's hot now.

It's like no one knows what Talent is nowadays. There's nothing legendary for or about our lousy generation.

The problem is that there is the "instant star" mentality, too many people become too big too fast. They are fads, IMHO.

Also, many of the disposable acts don't have the self-respect to keep their private life private. In the age of Twitters, Facebooks, multiple endorsements - the artist overexposes themselves to death. There is no more mystery and intrigue anymore.

I love when a music artist disappears for a couple of years and comes back with a killer album. Look at Sade, look at Prince, look at Michael - they did it right. People will never stop buying their records, nor stop being interested in learning more about them.

What makes a legend is a combination of things: originality, talent, tenacity, dedicated to charity, a humble heart, a supreme love of their fans, the ability to inspire millions through their talent, the desire to always take it to the next level and not rest on their laurels, the discipline to grow and not let their ego be too big to learn new things, etc...

In other words, be like Mike.

I was born in 1987, I was a fan of moonwalker and knew of Michael since the early 90's, but I did not get interested in music until later on, I was a video game kid... n64!!! But I always remember watching the legend continues because my dad bought it back then. I wish I could have remembered the dangerous era, I only really experienced the invincible era

Yea N64!! lol Just wanted to give a shout out to those good ol' days..I was born in 88 so I'm feelin ya :D!

The problem is that there is the "instant star" mentality, too many people become too big too fast. They are fads, IMHO.

Also, many of the disposable acts don't have the self-respect to keep their private life private. In the age of Twitters, Facebooks, multiple endorsements - the artist overexposes themselves to death. There is no more mystery and intrigue anymore.

I love when a music artist disappears for a couple of years and comes back with a killer album. Look at Sade, look at Prince, look at Michael - they did it right. People will never stop buying their records, nor stop being interested in learning more about them.

What makes a legend is a combination of things: originality, talent, tenacity, dedicated to charity, a humble heart, a supreme love of their fans, the ability to inspire millions through their talent, the desire to always take it to the next level and not rest on their laurels, the discipline to grow and not let their ego be too big to learn new things, etc...

In other words, be like Mike.

You hit the nail on the head. But I think MJ pulled the mystery thing off the best. His mystery itself is another form of entertainment. He creates riddles in a sense, that leaves everyone looking for more and more. Gosh, we will never be finished with MJ. He left so many,maybe too many things unanswered.:reading:

I love thinking / talking about those days... he was the MAN and everybody knew it and gave into it.... it was like is was part of your DNA. It was insane how popular he was.

ummm 1991

What I remember most is the B & W video backlash - the night it aired I was 23 - and so super excited to be watching it live with everyone... I LOVED IT - and everyone was having a fit about the last dance/masterbation simulation.. give me a break

I tell you when he issued his apology later - I was stunned... I was like WTF - your an artists don't apologize for your art - there were tons of other artist just doing it for shock value... I didn't see Madonna or Prince apologize for any of their antics - but because it was MJ - I guess he felt he had to - but to this day I still wish he hadn't

Yeh i wish he hadnt but i dont think michael wanted to upset children & their families, so he apologised for it. But it shows when kind of a man he was, kind & considered man who thought of others.

I mostly remember the art layout for his cover of the album! It was the EYES!!!!! And so dramatic. I remember my friend being so excited she got tickets to see him. I wasn't a concert goer myself, too young to go! Then there was also the gold leothong thing. As a kid, I did think that was strange thing to wear!

The videos I really remember are Black and White, the faces morphing into each other. And also Remember the Time. I thought it was funny he was singing about phones when he was in Ancient Egypt.

Ummm I was just born in may of 91 so I couldnt tell you.

I can tell you about the release of Invinicble I was in 5th grade and I was the only one in my class that kept talking about the new MJ album I remember all the other morons going why do you like ***** *****? He touches little boys ect. I remember even getting in a fist fight with another kid because he thre my Thriller luchbox across the cafeteria!

Oh my God I was like the biggest MJ fan in my town! Everyone at school used to tease me and stuff...cause they didn't know real music from crap!
Yea I remember watching all if the video premieres from Dangerous and getting all excited. Good memories! I always used to read his Dancing the Dream book and listen to him every day. :) Oh and I always would play the Moonwalker game on my sega! I woudl stare the album cover and trip out. I remember getting my first "in love feeling" during that time. I all of the sudden wanted to marry Michael..:wub:. Wow! Memories....

I can tell you about the release of Invinicble I was in 5th grade and I was the only one in my class that kept talking about the new MJ album I remember all the other morons going why do you like ***** *****? He touches little boys ect. I remember even getting in a fist fight with another kid because he thre my Thriller luchbox across the cafeteria!

Aww! I'm sorry. That's just awful. Kids can be so cruel at that age.

I was 10 but I've only heard the weirdo stories about him. I dont know anything else about him.

You hit the nail on the head. But I think MJ pulled the mystery thing off the best. His mystery itself is another form of entertainment. He creates riddles in a sense, that leaves everyone looking for more and more. Gosh, we will never be finished with MJ. He left so many,maybe too many things unanswered.:reading:

Good point.... MJ had us always guessing and expecting, and we always wanted MORE since we knew he was able to always give us more. And he did it non stop back then. Yes, it is true, there were lots of rumors and questions about his looks, but when it came to music, no questions. Of course, that was also the time the haters started their "This is not a good album" song, like "Bad was his last good album", etc. but I honestly don't think so. Dangerous was the album that really got me into Michael Jackson and I am glad and honored I had the chance to live that experience. Michael gave me many hours of happiness and joy with this album and I will always be grateful for that.

Aww hun im so sorry :hug:

Good point.... MJ had us always guessing and expecting, and we always wanted MORE since we knew he was able to always give us more. And he did it non stop back then. Yes, it is true, there were lots of rumors and questions about his looks, but when it came to music, no questions. Of course, that was also the time the haters started their "This is not a good album" song, like "Bad was his last good album", etc. but I honestly don't think so. Dangerous was the album that really got me into Michael Jackson and I am glad and honored I had the chance to live that experience. Michael gave me many hours of happiness and joy wit this album and I will always be grateful for that.

They were doing "This is not a good album" line since Bad came out. You can look at old reviews at the time and you will see that Bad was panned by some people. They called it 'Thriller' 1.5. The only song that was universally liked off the album when it first came out was Man in the Mirror and even that got sly remarks because of Michael's changing features. They even dogged the music video Bad for being a remake of Thriller, but not as good and giving a negative image of black people.

Even funnier, Thriller was panned by critics for not being as good as Off the Wall. Some black critics went as far as calling it a sell out to the 'white media' because of songs like This Girl is Mines. They even slammed the rap by Vincent Price, which is a classic today. Billie Jean also got more than its fair share of people talking about it.

So, all of Michael's adult albums were called "This is not a good album" until the sell numbers came in. Just shows you how much of a short term memory people tend to have.

Last edited:
They were doing "This is not a good album" line since Bad came out. You can look at old reviews at the time and you will see that Bad was panned by some people. They called it 'Thriller' 1.5. The only song that was universally liked off the album when it first came out was Man in the Mirror, even that got sly remarks because of Michael's changing features. They even dogged the music video Bad for being a remake of Thriller, but not as good and giving a negative image of black people.

Even funnier, Thriller was panned by critics for not being as good as Off the Wall. Some black critics went as far as calling it a sell out to the 'white media' because of songs like This Girl is Mines.

So, all of Michael's adult albums were called "This is not a good album" until the sell numbers came in. Just shows you how much of a short term memory people tend to have.

I seriously dont understand how the "bad" video is supposely a remake of "thiller", it has nothing of "thiller" whatsoever!

I seriously dont understand how the "bad" video is supposely a remake of "thiller", it has nothing of "thiller" whatsoever!

I think is more to do with the complex dancing in it. Although, Bad was more freestyle than Thriller.

The point being, they were all just talking heads. All of Michael's albums since Off the Wall were compared and criticized by the media. Thriller is only held as he last great album because it sold alot. If some of them read their old reviews about Thriller, I think they were deny ever writing those articles.

Yes... this is funny.
But wait... maybe they saw "another" version of Bad... one none of us has seen so far...
surprised.gif

Critics...

I wish I could think back to 1991 but I wasn't born yet.

Sounds like it was so great. I really wish I could have experienced Michael like some of you have.

They were doing "This is not a good album" line since Bad came out. You can look at old reviews at the time and you will see that Bad was panned by some people. They called it 'Thriller' 1.5.

Yes, I know this, you are right :( But I am glad in my country we were not that much into it. Dangerous did very well, especially the short films. Critics did say it was not that good, but honestly, it's all about people and people loved Dangerous. So the critics must have been like "Oh, they are so fool", but who cares? We love it and we enjoyed it! :D

Yes, I know this, you are right :( But I am glad in my country we were not that much into it. Dangerous did very well, especially the short films. Critics did say it was not that good, but honestly, it's all about people and people loved Dangerous. So the critics must have been like "Oh, they are so fool", but who cares? We love it and we enjoyed it! :D

I think the most ironic thing about the whole thing is that Dangerous actually sold more worldwide than Bad. Also, Off the Wall which people claim to be Michael at his best sold as much as History, not including the double sells.

So, the general public do not agree with critics.

Back