This Is It and Memorial Service get NAACP nominations

Re: This Is It and Memorial Service gets a NAACP nominations

Could any moderator fix the title?
Somebody changed that, but ....

I hope Michael wins with This is it...I don't know about the other one...it feels weird to me as well..

It's great... and a little sad... but great.

Re: MJ Nod for NAACP AWARD

Outstanding Variety – (Series or Special)

• "BET Awards 2009" (BET)
  • "Bill Cosby: The Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize for American Humor" (PBS)
  • "Michael Jackson Memorial Service" (ABC, BET, CNN, MTV, NBC)
  • "Wanda Sykes: I'ma Be Me" (HBO)
  • "We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial" (HBO)

:unsure:

Re: This Is It gets a NAACP nomination

How could I miss this...?

Yes, there are nominations...!!!

I believe that Michael will win at least one award!

I was surprised by this in my inbox this morning. Thank you for the update.
Now this.... this last with the memorial.... this really broke my heart :cry:
I think I don't feel very well with the idea of the memorial of this beloved man being considered a "show" but... that is maybe me going too far with my ideas, I am sorry for doing so :(.

The memorial stands for me as the only fitting tribute to Michael Jackson. It was such a special moment. For me it is far more than just another show, so I don't know if this would be really an award to Michael or to the "makers" of the tribute, but... as far as it honors Mike's memory, it's fine.

But yes... it was not a show. It's been one of the hardest times of my life. Not to mention the funeral... :(

When was the last time he was nominated for an NAACP award.... you know, when he was still breathing? *...whateva NAACP...*

Motion Picture Categories

Outstanding Motion Picture

• "The Blind Side" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
  • "Invictus" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
  • "Michael Jackson's: This Is It" (Columbia Pictures)
  • "Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire" (Lionsgate)
  • "The Princess and the Frog" (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
As much as I want him to win in this category, i think they are gonna go with 'Precious'

He should definetly win in this category without a doubt!:yes:

I'm sorry but I am uncomfortable with the Memorial Service being nominated as a VARIETY SHOW. It was a memorial, it was not meant to be entertaining. I just see that as minimizing the sanctity of the service which is what it was not a show. The NAACP, of all people should know better.

I understand what you mean, but the category is Outstanding Variety (Series / Special) and the Memorial was presented as a 'Special Presentation' hence it being listed as a nominee.

He should definetly win in this category without a doubt!:yes:

All I know for sure is that the BET Awards 09 definitely won't win! :lol:

Great for TII, but the Memorial service???
….I must be living in a parallel universe…… Is nothing sacred any more?
I seem to recall that the focus of this service was a golden casket bearing the mortal remains of a greatly loved public figure and family man, who was (very possibly) unlawfully deprived of his life.

Someone has not thought this through. On the awards night, there will presumably be short clips to introduce the nominations (cue scenes of emotional devastation at the Staples Centre). And how will the acceptance speech go? ‘I’d like to thank a certain doctor, without whom this memorial service might not have been possible’?? I hope Michael’s children will not be present for this travesty.

The memorial service was beautiful and dignified, thanks in large part to Mr Ortega and many of the cast/crew of TII ( notably musicians and vocalists). I hope that Mr Ortega will say thank you but no thanks to this nomination – don’t sell your souls for a mess of pottage. If an award is supposed to be intrinsically desirable then this one most definitely is not it.

This memorial service was about L.O.V.E not A.W.A.R.D.S

Last edited:

Outstanding Motion Picture

• "The Blind Side" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
  • "Invictus" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
  • "Michael Jackson's: This Is It" (Columbia Pictures)
  • "Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire" (Lionsgate)
  • "The Princess and the Frog" (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)

Kennys Tweet

"@KennyOrtegaBlog: MICHAEL JACKSON's MEMORIAL and the THIS IS IT film were both nominated today for NAACP Image Awards Bravo MICHAEL,..."

yes Bravo Michael.? Dieing does an image good. *rolls eyes*
Great thing....but I feel so sad:cry:
Why it could happen like this...why??:boohoo:

Wow I cant wait for MJ to win an Oscar for best death scene!

This is seriously twisted getting an award for a funeral. Some people are sick.

This isn't good. Seems weird to me. They could have come up with someting better than this. MJ donated a lot a money to black causes. Slap in the face.

* “BET Awards 2009” (BET)
* “Bill Cosby: The Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize for American Humor” (PBS)
* “Michael Jackson Memorial Service” (ABC, BET, CNN, MTV, NBC)
* “Wanda Sykes: I’ma Be Me” (HBO)
* “We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial” (HBO)

I have a warped sense of humor but I kinda see that maybe this is for the presentation and all and it actually was presented well and photographed, etc. Or the production?

Look, its not like they nominated him as best actor for it. Now that would be bizarre.

So, ok, it seems odd but not when you look at the others its up with.

Jackson Funeral Nominated for Image Award - Outrage Ensues

Jackson Funeral Nominated for Image Award – Outrage Ensues

(January 12, 2010)

The former head of the NAACP’s Beverly Hills branch has written a letter blasting the national head for allowing Michael Jackson’s televised memorial service to be nominated for the organization’s Image Award as a variety show.

“Even though entertainers did perform, it was still a memorial service/funeral to honor this young man,” said former NAACP’s former Beverly Hills/Hollywood Chapter president Billie J. Green in a letter to national president Ben Jealous.

The letter continues:

The NAACP’s Image Awards were created to honor people who portrayed positive images of African-Americans in the entertainment industry. This show has always been a legitimate awards presentation. Unfortunately, this recent nomination of Michael Jackson’s memorial service/funeral has resulted in the ridicule of the Image Awards as a legitimate awards show. This nomination is an embarrassment to the past and present members of the NAACP and the African-American community as a whole.

As someone who has worked closely with the NAACP to create jobs and positive images in the entertainment industry, I am truly ashamed of this recent nomination. Please see below for some additional information that I have provided for your perusal.

Thank you for your time. I hope that you can do something to correct this situation.

http://eurweb.com/story/eur58573.cfm

Last edited:
“Even though entertainers did perform, it was still a memorial service/funeral to honor this young man,” said former NAACP’s former Beverly Hills/Hollywood Chapter president Billie J. Green in a letter to national president Ben Jealous.

Thank you very much

There were so many other awards they could have come up with and achievement award of some sort. This was a funeral in a nutshell. Would you want your family to get an award for putting on a great funeral. PLEEEEAAAASE

I think it's a very bad taste (or poor thinking) to nominate the memorial.

Just think what a thankyou speech could be like! "Thank you Michael for passing away and giving us an opportunity to arrange such a nice concert". ???

Re: Jackson Funeral Nominated for Image Award - Outrage Ensues

As someone who has worked closely with the NAACP to create jobs and positive images in the entertainment industry, I am truly ashamed of this recent nomination.

http://eurweb.com/story/eur58573.cfm

Thank you

Re: Jackson Funeral Nominated for Image Award - Outrage Ensues

Jackson Funeral Nominated for Image Award – Outrage Ensues

(January 12, 2010)

The former head of the NAACP’s Beverly Hills branch has written a letter blasting the national head for allowing Michael Jackson’s televised memorial service to be nominated for the organization’s Image Award as a variety show.

I am so glad that someone is calling the NAACP to task for this travesty. This is the most callous thing I ever heard. To nominate a memorial service is just disrespectful.

They could have added Sen. Edward Kennedy's funeral to the list to further expand on this macabre nomination. As I said before the NAACP should know better.

Yes i had to think hard bout this and yes his memorial shouldn't be in the nominations that's a bit to much. They could of Nominate MJ for his acheivements throughtout the decades he lived

Back