This Is It film: how close to MJ's ultimate vision do you think it will be?

MattyJam

Guests
We all know MJ's a perfectionist, and obviously it is a great tragedy that the world never got to see the full extent of what MJ had planned for this tour... but thinking about the footage they DO have, I can't help but wonder how close it is to MJ's ultimate vision for the shows?

Those final rehearsals that were filmed were only about two weeks away from opening night, so they must've had most of the leg-work done.

Did they do a full dress rehearsal at any point? The footage of MJ performing TDCAU was obviously not in costume...

I think it's something which concerns me, knowing what a perfectionist MJ is, and also, not wanting the world to watch it and judge MJ unfairly.

Im apprehensive about it. And I dont think it will contain a full set of the songs he was planning to perform. I imagine it to almost be like a making of documentary with a few performances thrown in. I've mixed emotions about it to be honest, I dont want to see a deteriorated Michael who is performing, dancing and singing yet looking exhausted. The one part I would've loved to see live is Dirty Diana, from what I;ve read I think it would've been amazing. But I dont expect it to be recreated on the film as well as I imagine it to be. Maybe I'll be suprised though.

I hear what you're saying.

I also don't reckon it'll be a full set. I reckon they'll include eight or nine of the best performances and then bulk it up with a lot of behind the scenes footage.

I did have concerns about how MJ was going to be, but in the rehearsal footage released from 23rd June he looks great. We've all heard people like Randy Phillips talk about how amazing this footage is, but you can't take his word for it. AEG knew that they were sitting on a gold-mine with that footage, so of course they're going to hype it up.

Im nervous about it... This is the most recent footage we will ever see of Michael and Im not quite sure how I will react, whether I'll be in shock or if it'll make me feel some comfort.. Hearing him speak, laugh.. seeing him smile and sing.. It will feel odd watching that after his death..

What I hope is that the rehearsals will show that he was in good shape, that he was happy and excited and was smiling and laughing like he usually does during rehearsals.. It would break my heart if we saw a worn out, sad and exhausted Michael Jackson..

I guess we have to wait and see.

We can't really say much about that before we have seen what the This Is It movie is like!

It would break my heart if we saw a worn out, sad and exhausted Michael Jackson...

I think we can rest assure that even if they had footage of that, they wouldn't include it in the film.

Aren't they meant to be portraying MJ in a positive light?

I think everyone should not get their hopes up too much, especially the regular public.
Most people forget that this is a rehearsal and not a full blown concert.
I mean, just looking back at the Dangerous rehearsals you could never imagine how amazing the actual concert would be.

It kind of makes me sad that this will be a commercial product, because of that fact I think Sony will cut out a whole bunch of material just to make it look as "pro" as possible. I want it all, I want the raw footage.
I truly wish that somewhere along the way they will release a collectors edition with all (or at least half) of the footage, unedited.

The clip of TDCAU from 23rd June is much better quality than the rehearsal footage from the Dangerous tour.

The clip of TDCAU from 23rd June is much better quality than the rehearsal footage from the Dangerous tour.

I'm not talking about the quality of the video, I'm talking about the quality of the performances.
I mean, when you rehears you don't go all full out and you fool around and stuff. - However, the TII rehearsals was in the end phase so maybe it will be more "serious" than the Dangerous rehearsals. But I still think it's important that people understand that Michael didn't put on a show, he was simply rehearsing and learning the steps and stuff.

I agree completely. I dont think this will ever show Michael in his best 'light' or performance in you want, because these were infact rehearsals, we've all seen is previous rehearsals, they are nothing compared to the real deal shows. I think what we are going to witness is just a taste of what was to come, I dont think we will ever be able to imagine what it was really gonna be like...

I also dont like the idea if they are cutting the clips and only showing parts where Michael is dancing, I also want the raw material, backstage clips, candid Michael eating and laughing and talking and directing.. If this is just a movie about his dancemoves then I think they are missing the point of showing this movie. I want it to be as real as possible. Part of me feels like if Michael was exhausted and in bad shape, they will try to cut those scenes out and make it look like Michael was in his best shape ever. I also dont like that idea.. Because I wanna know the truth..

I'm not going to see it. He was a perfectionist, he would have only been marking out the songs and dance moves in some of it and I reckon(only my opinion) that not much will be in the film instead it'll have interviews etc... and there won't be as much footage as they've made out... plus I don't want to see it as Sony bought it. The movie being released doesn't feel right to me, also the speed with which they sold and organised too. I'm not looking down on those who do want to go, I understand why they do :) I just can't bring myself to go as much I want to see Michael I don't want to support this film.

I agree completely. I dont think this will ever show Michael in his best 'light' or performance in you want, because these were infact rehearsals, we've all seen is previous rehearsals, they are nothing compared to the real deal shows. I think what we are going to witness is just a taste of what was to come, I dont think we will ever be able to imagine what it was really gonna be like...

I also dont like the idea if they are cutting the clips and only showing parts where Michael is dancing, I also want the raw material, backstage clips, candid Michael eating and laughing and talking and directing.. If this is just a movie about his dancemoves then I think they are missing the point of showing this movie. I want it to be as real as possible. Part of me feels like if Michael was exhausted and in bad shape, they will try to cut those scenes out and make it look like Michael was in his best shape ever. I also dont like that idea.. Because I wanna know the truth..

^ Exactly, this is what I meant.
And I mean, "regular" people out there that don't know nothing about rehearsals and not necessary are MJ-fans will bash this TII documentary if Michael doesn't "top himself", which he can't do since this is just a rehearsal.
I mean, media probably already have printed their headlines "This Is It would've been a catastrophe". Because they don't understand what a rehearsal is, and they feed of negativity.
Oh God, I just wish I could break into the vaults and steal all the footage and upload up unedited here on MJJC because I think that we the hard core fans will be like "but why didn't you show this and that?"
But I should not say too much before I've watched the entire thing, it's too early to count it out.

Part of me feels like if Michael was exhausted and in bad shape, they will try to cut those scenes out and make it look like Michael was in his best shape ever. I also dont like that idea.. Because I wanna know the truth..

You have to remember this is a product that they want to sell. They're not interested in portraying "the truth."

They are not going to show anything in the film that makes MJ or the people he was working with look bad. I reckon it's going to be a very rose-tinted affair... it can't be any other way really.

All I hope is that they managed to capture that magic spark he had as a performer on film...

BruceWayne I share your concerns... the rehearsal aspect has been completely lost. I know the media is waiting to slam this as much as possible.

"I have some news about the movie guys, just revealed to me by a source working closely on the movie. I can't give his name due to privacy but I can confirm it is 100% legit. There is some great stuff here, here is what I know:

1) Trailers are mostly done, and were waiting partly on the footage from the funeral which is being added in now. Expect to see the first ad premiere next weekend. I tried to press him on more info regarding the VMA's but couldn't get a confirmation.

2) The movie is not a 2 hour concert like many fans thought. In fact the movie is simply a documentary based around the This Is It tour, it shows Jackson in his final days and includes his death, aftermath, and reaction. Clips from the memorial and funeral will be used.

3) There will be some footage of MJ performing, much longer then the 3-4 minute snippet released at the end of June by AEG. You will see MJ in his dressing room, mingling and directing, plus one scene where he talks to the camera. Basically, it will show Jackson in his final months alive.

4) The movie is between 100 and 130 minutes in length.

5) The plan for the DVD is to have it out in late November by Thanksgiving or early December at the latest, although my source revealed this maybe a long shot if they extend the 2 week showing to 3 or 4 weeks (which is possible).

6) The DVD will contain the theatrical version in its whole plus over 2 hours of Jackson performing, warming up his vocals, singing, and in full costume. The most spectacular footage is by far from the Staples Center in LA which I'm told will "blow fans away". This extra footage will be a special feature on the DVD along with many other treats that fans will love.

7) Finally, the CD soundtrack I'm told will be released after the movie, most likely sometime in November to coincide with the DVD launch and WILL include a new song Jackson recorded in his last 2 years alive. Apparently the song is "off the hook" and is currently being worked on by producers who are putting the finishing touches on it and is being considered to be issued as a single all around the world."

I think the dvd release will be just like the When in rome 2007 concert by Genesis.

"I have some news about the movie guys, just revealed to me by a source working closely on the movie. I can't give his name due to privacy but I can confirm it is 100% legit. There is some great stuff here, here is what I know:

1) Trailers are mostly done, and were waiting partly on the footage from the funeral which is being added in now. Expect to see the first ad premiere next weekend. I tried to press him on more info regarding the VMA's but couldn't get a confirmation.

2) The movie is not a 2 hour concert like many fans thought. In fact the movie is simply a documentary based around the This Is It tour, it shows Jackson in his final days and includes his death, aftermath, and reaction. Clips from the memorial and funeral will be used.

3) There will be some footage of MJ performing, much longer then the 3-4 minute snippet released at the end of June by AEG. You will see MJ in his dressing room, mingling and directing, plus one scene where he talks to the camera. Basically, it will show Jackson in his final months alive.

5) The plan for the DVD is to have it out in late November by Thanksgiving or early December at the latest, although my source revealed this maybe a long shot if they extend the 2 week showing to 3 or 4 weeks (which is possible).

6) The DVD will contain the theatrical version in its whole plus over 2 hours of Jackson performing, warming up his vocals, singing, and in full costume. The most spectacular footage is by far from the Staples Center in LA which I'm told will "blow fans away". This extra footage will be a special feature on the DVD along with many other treats that fans will love.

7) Finally, the CD soundtrack I'm told will be released after the movie, most likely sometime in November to coincide with the DVD launch and WILL include a new song Jackson recorded in his last 2 years alive. Apparently the song is "off the hook" and is currently being worked on by producers who are putting the finishing touches on it and is being considered to be issued as a single all around the world."

Funeral footage? no thanks.

based on how much money was spent for the rights for this footage I'm guessing it's awesome.

BruceWayne I share your concerns... the rehearsal aspect has been completely lost. I know the media is waiting to slam this as much as possible.
you got to be kidding. the media is not waiting to slam this as much as possible. If it's awesome the media will exagerate how awesome it is. the only way they would slam is if it sucks, and they wont slam it. they will describe it as physically harmful to MJ's body.

They aren't waiting to trash the dead guy thus offending America. It's not MJ against the world you know :)

For one, it is in my personal opinion, that MJ would never want what's being released to be released.

But it's all we've got, so people will want to see it (whether MJ wanted us to or not).

Ok the part I bolded bugged me. I thought the footage AEG released was about 1 min....have I missed something here??? And funeral footage ugh great now I'll def be bringing kleenex with me.

this may sound dumb to some.. but I know I cant be the only one that has thought this.. I really wish that I could see the video before it's released to give the "O.K" as in.. since Michael did not complete the production, and we have no idea what they'll show etc.. I wish I had some say so.. Like as in.. "OK this is good enough for all the critics to watch and be amazed"

I don't doubt Mikes ability.. Just the production, and things that THEY chose to show, and how its shown

We will only get to see a glimpse of what Michael wanted to show us. He was a perfectionist. I wonder what he would think of all this, if he would be ok with it.

For one, it is in my personal opinion, that MJ would never want what's being released to be released.

But it's all we've got, so people will want to see it (whether MJ wanted us to or not).
I agree. MJ would probably be horrified that rehersal footage of him is being released in a movie theater. I mean MJ is the greatest live entertainer of all time and we only have one live performance DVD from him. Just shows us that MJ probably didn't like releasing live stuff. MJ was a perfectionist and probably woundn't want us to see his rehersals. That being said, I can't wait to see what MJ had in store for all of us.

you got to be kidding. the media is not waiting to slam this as much as possible. If it's awesome the media will exagerate how awesome it is. the only way they would slam is if it sucks, and they wont slam it. they will describe it as physically harmful to MJ's body.

They aren't waiting to trash the dead guy thus offending America. It's not MJ against the world you know :)

Mmm, it might not be MJ against the world but it will always be MJ against against the media.

Honestly I really hope that what you say IS true, that it's amazing and that the media will exaggerate its qualities - we all want that. We always have. But the coverage of the past weeks says otherwise to me. If this footage gives the media ANY reason to play the addict card - they will. The article I read in my paper about the burial on the weekend called MJ's death a "drug overdose" and "drug induced" with no mention of homicide. The media has already done enough trashing of MJ. I think American and British media has been the worst, so I don't think they're particularly worried about offending any particular country - least of all the family.

But all that said, I really hope you're right :)

There is no point why arguing over what the media will or will not say.. the FACT of the matter is they will say whatever will sell!! There would not be 'media' iff it were not for the $$$$$.. There will be both end of the story talked about and which ever one picks up a heat wave of interest, that's the one that will be thrown out to the wolfs.. The media is not stupid enough to talk crap about MJ's performance if the world thinks its increadable.. and they will not say it's awesome, if for whatever reason it was not up to par.. they will analize it, compare it to public opinion.. and either LIFT it or TRASH it..

It's all about supply and demand! we cannot pre-judge it before knowing the demand. From essence it does not seem as if the public have exepted too much bashing, so it looks positive.. but as the clowdes come out, the wolfs may howel again.. We'll see!!

If people that were close to Michael can turn there backs against him.. So can people that just recently jumped on the bandwagon to love him. It's all play on emotion.. The true will remain true! as many of us have and will!

There is no point why arguing over what the media will or will not say.. the FACT of the matter is they will say whatever will sell!! There would not be 'media' iff it were not for the $$$$$.. There will be both end of the story talked about and which ever one picks up a heat wave of interest, that's the one that will be thrown out to the wolfs.. The media is not stupid enough to talk crap about MJ's performance if the world thinks its increadable.. and they will not say it's awesome, if for whatever reason it was not up to par.. they will analize it, compare it to public opinion.. and either LIFT it or TRASH it..

It's all about supply and demand! we cannot pre-judge it before knowing the demand. From essence it does not seem as if the public have exepted too much bashing, so it looks positive.. but as the clowdes come out, the wolfs may howel again.. We'll see!!

If people that were close to Michael can turn there backs against him.. So can people that just recently jumped on the bandwagon to love him. It's all play on emotion.. The true will remain true! as many of us have and will!

true dat completely

Ok the part I bolded bugged me. I thought the footage AEG released was about 1 min....have I missed something here??? And funeral footage ugh great now I'll def be bringing kleenex with me.

That part bugged me too.

Hopefully it was just a poor choice of wording, but it sounds as if the performances aren't even going to be a big part of the movie... and if that's the case, then I won't even be that excited to see it.

Back