Thriller 40th Anniversary

Have you guys preordered your thriller one step vinyl? The fact that I already own thriller (1980s pressing), thriller 2018 pressing, thriller picture disc, thriller 25 picture disc, and thriller 25 vinyl and i'm going to buy the one step, target and walmart editions of thriller 40. just smh. this album never gets old tho.

Have you guys preordered your thriller one step vinyl? The fact that I already own thriller (1980s pressing), thriller 2018 pressing, thriller picture disc, thriller 25 picture disc, and thriller 25 vinyl and i'm going to buy the one step, target and walmart editions of thriller 40. just smh. this album never gets old tho.
no, due to the dsd source, I'll buy the SACD. Also there will be a 2LP One-Step also

I want a spike Lee doc.... more depth about the music & not the impact. Details... & I pray that disc 2 its not unreleased songs we've had over 15years like hot street etc....I want new songs like bad 25, I wasn't expecting free & im so Blue. I love those! Wonder why he never finished em
Keep Spike Lee away from it if you want something in-depth and complex. His OTW doc is (in my opinion) the worst project the estate has ever overseen on a qualitative level. Even Bad 25, which I love, wastes time with contemporary celebrities while teasing studio and behind-the-scenes footage.

I didn’t realize some fans don’t like the spike lee docs. I really enjoyed them and the commentary provided. Maybe because I am a relatively newer fan that I like them more though. I was definitely entertained watching them.

I didn’t realize some fans don’t like the spike lee docs. I really enjoyed them and the commentary provided. Maybe because I am a relatively newer fan that I like them more though. I was definitely entertained watching them.
I’m glad you liked them! That’s all that matters!

On a personal level, I feel they spent too much time on contemporary commentary and not enough on actually documenting the album’s creation. Off the Wall is especially absurd in this regard, as the people who had a hand in the music and songwriting were given the short end of the stick. Stevie Wonder literally wrote one of the album’s songs, and he had all of 20 seconds; Questlove wasn’t even in the industry yet and he pops up every few minutes. I just think it’s a waste of resources and time.

Keep Spike Lee away from it if you want something in-depth and complex. His OTW doc is (in my opinion) the worst project the estate has ever overseen on a qualitative level. Even Bad 25, which I love, wastes time with contemporary celebrities while teasing studio and behind-the-scenes footage.
Agree. Bad 25 was saved by the footage. A bunch of no names saying JGF was no good? Who gives a … what they think!!

OTW had no footage and was so un memorable it hurt.

Spike’s docs are ok puff pieces but imo aren’t worth watching more than 1-2 times (outside of the new footage)

Yeah I dont think it could hurt letting a new director work on the Thriller 40 doc. I dont have a problem with Bad25 (only nitpick I have is using VHS MITM at the end instead of re editing the HD moonwalker version). Hope this project works out.

I never thought about otw doc not having any bts footage... that is interesting. I just feel like it could've been a trilogy ya know but....I feel where you all are coming from. Maybe spike is just getting older & thinking about the general public. We should just tweet him & make him mention certain details If he is the one. I love his work (hate the close ups) but lol all in all I think spike is dope as a director. He should definitely do a 2hr30/45min thriller doc with lots of details all the way up to we are the world. I still consider that thriller era 82-85.
(Side note....I hope to play him in the biopic🤞🏾. I will get into kahoots with the director/writers as well to make sure things are authentic as possible)

So, you're still giving them credit for work they didn't do.

Hm. I think your view is extremely shortsighted.
I don't say the estate hasn't fucked up some projects in part or as a whole.
But the credit, as the blame, always goes to the decision makers, head honchos, or in this case the executers.

Do you think elon musk is in the garage and screws together his electric cars?
Do you think Tim Cook designs the new iPhone?
Does Chris Kempczinski grill the big mac?
Does Bob Chapek direct/write a disney movie?

So, as for failure or success, if a company get's blamed the blame goes to the ceo/decision makers. And of course the credit in case of success goes to them too.
Even if they contract someone else to design, create or execute a new product or project.
They sign of on it, in the end. They decide on projects & how the company is run.

So yes, the estate get's the credit for the success of This Is It, MJ musical & MJ ONE, The Experience Game. As of course they get the blame for a VHS quality dvd's, fake songs, trashy remixes & chalk piece releases.

And make no mistake, in the real world they do get the credit as they get the blame.
And with a little sound and critical thinking on you part, dam2040, you'd come to the same conclusion.

Last edited:
I also don't get the panic regarding what transpired this week regarding the switch on the cover art.

As it happens so often in this day and age, it was an early leak, in this case by amazon.
But the estate surly wants to reveal their update & their "recognizing fan feedback" change to new Thriller 40th art themselves & in a little more grand way.
Amazon leaked it early, the estate told them to pull it back until a later date, when it's officially announced/released by the estate.

So you can count on it, because of that leak: There will be a redesigned 40th art. No need for all the panic.
Of course the surprise element was hurt by amazons mistake.

Wonder if they are excited to reveal the tracklist, or if they are afraid for it to backfire. IMO it should not be too hard for them to make an exciting tracklist at all.

Amazon leaked it early, the estate told them to pull it back until a later date, when it's officially announced/released by the estate.
At first, Legacy Recordings has withdrawn their inital announcement from their website, then the updated artwork leak by Amazon.

A new press release/announcement seems to be happen very soon. Next week, maybe?

At some point the Thriller40 campaign has to start rolling.
It's less than three month now until November 18th.

I think a shorter & more intensive promotion window is more effective than this long drawn out, trickle some little info pieces.

Under three month seems to be a good window to get things going at some point in the near future.
The Birthday celebration presents a good starting point. And the fact that they stream parts of it worldwide in combination with the leak of this week, makes it an educated guess that they'll have something important to talk about.

Last edited:
Wonder if they are excited to reveal the tracklist, or if they are afraid for it to backfire. IMO it should not be too hard for them to make an exciting tracklist at all.
With this fandom they maybe are excited to share information, when they feel they got something good on their hands.
But they definitely are bracing for the worst. 🙃 😅

Where's the proof Shitchenyi?

And you even said it in the webchat after the court case started (albeit before Sony officially removed the 3 tracks from Michael)

You might have changed your mind since, but that doesn't matter, you still thought it was Michael singing
When it was obvious it wasn't...

Agree. Bad 25 was saved by the footage. A bunch of no names saying JGF was no good? Who gives a … what they think!!

OTW had no footage and was so un memorable it hurt.

Spike’s docs are ok puff pieces but imo aren’t worth watching more than 1-2 times (outside of the new footage)
except Just Good Friends is not that good of a song, especially when compared to MJ's other work. It's funny that you criticize a bunch of no names for saying the song wasn't good. When you are a no name who is criticizing the documentary for not being that good. It's really rich calling an Oscar winner a no name.

Last edited:

And you even said it in the webchat after the court case started (albeit before Sony officially removed the 3 tracks from Michael)

You might have changed your mind since, but that doesn't matter, you still thought it was Michael singing
You keep trying to put words in my mouth...

Hm. I think your view is extremely shortsighted.
I don't say the estate hasn't fucked up some projects in part or as a whole.
But the credit, as the blame, always goes to the decision makers, head honchos, or in this case the executers.

Do you think elon musk is in the garage and screws together his electric cars?
Do you think Tim Cook designs the new iPhone?
Does Chris Kempczinski grill the big mac?
Does Bob Chapek direct/write a disney movie?

So, as for failure or success, if a company get's blamed the blame goes to the ceo/decision makers. And of course the credit in case of success goes to them too.
Even if they contract someone else to design, create or execute a new product or project.
They sign of on it, in the end. They decide on projects & how the company is run.

So yes, the estate get's the credit for the success of This Is It, MJ musical & MJ ONE, The Experience Game. As of course they get the blame for a VHS quality dvd's, fake songs, trashy remixes & chalk piece releases.

And make no mistake, in the real world they do get the credit as they get the blame.
And with a little sound and critical thinking on you part, dam2040, you'd come to the same conclusion.
Thank you for being a voice of reason instead of just saying crap about the estate all the time.

It’s quite funny going back and reading arguments that have long since been debunked.

If Breaking News had been Let Me Let Go, the same people would have defended it. Embarrassing.

except Just Good Friends is not that good of a song, especially when compared to MJ's other work. It's funny that you criticize a bunch of no names for saying the song wasn't good. When you are a no name who is criticizing the documentary for not being that good. It's really rich calling an Oscar winner a no name.
I genuinely feel like you're just being deliberately ignorant as to why people are criticising the doc at this point.

Last edited:
Where's the proof Shitchenyi?
This would be the third time that I respond to your questions about the authenticity of the Cascio tracks, in the last two months. I got ignored in the past and won’t bother trying to discuss this with you in the future, if you choose to ignore me again.

Still, if you wish to get an answer, you can check this fairly lengthy post of mine out, in case you haven’t already:
Post in thread 'When will they finally give up?'

The bottom line is that you can’t be asking the question: “where is the proof that Michael didn’t sing the Cascio songs?” as long as you yourself don’t have any proof whatsoever that he did, in fact, sing them. Apart from these people, who knew Michael and would have a financial motive after his death…just like his accusers, saying this, there is not an ounce of proof, be it pictures or recordings of Michael in-between takes, that he ever laid down a vocal of any sort on any of the Cascio tracks or wrote any of the tracks.

If you take their word and their word only for it, I must ask…isn’t the situation exactly the same as when Robson and Safechuck came forward and alleged these awful things? I don’t think, in that case, you were asking where the proof is that it didn’t happen because you can’t take someone‘s word for something, without proof of it happening. And no, the songs themselves aren’t proof since so many people have shown skepticism, including his own family and collaborators.

This would be the third time that I respond to your questions about the authenticity of the Cascio tracks, in the last two months. I got ignored in the past and won’t bother trying to discuss this with you in the future, if you choose to ignore me again.

Still, if you wish to get an answer, you can check this fairly lengthy post of mine out, in case you haven’t already:
Post in thread 'When will they finally give up?'

The bottom line is that you can’t be asking the question: “where is the proof that Michael didn’t sing the Cascio songs?” as long as you yourself don’t have any proof whatsoever that he did, in fact, sing them. Apart from these people, who knew Michael and would have a financial motive after his death…just like his accusers, saying this, there is not an ounce of proof, be it pictures or recordings of Michael in-between takes, that he ever laid down a vocal of any sort on any of the Cascio tracks or wrote any of the tracks.

If you take their word and their word only for it, I must ask…isn’t the situation exactly the same as when Robson and Safechuck came forward and alleged these awful things? I don’t think, in that case, you were asking where the proof is that it didn’t happen because you can’t take someone‘s word for something, without proof of it happening. And no, the songs themselves aren’t proof since so many people have shown skepticism, including his own family and collaborators.
If that's the case then why aren't you questioning if the other tracks on Michael are indeed him or not? I guarantee you that if we took a song that we know for sure Michael sung on it and put a Cascio credit on the song, so many fans would decry the song as fake. I'm not saying that I know the Cascio songs are for sure MJ or for sure not MJ, but I'm tired of people acting like they are voice analysis experts saying that they can instantly know what song is genuine and which is not just by listening to it. If 2000 Watts was released after MJ dies, many would be questioning it also.

If that's the case then why aren't you questioning if the other tracks on Michael are indeed him or not? I guarantee you that if we took a song that we know for sure Michael sung on it and put a Cascio credit on the song, so many fans would decry the song as fake. I'm not saying that I know the Cascio songs are for sure MJ or for sure not MJ, but I'm tired of people acting like they are voice analysis experts saying that they can instantly know what song is genuine and which is not just by listening to it. If 2000 Watts was released after MJ dies, many would be questioning it also.
Because the other songs all sound like him and have a traceable history. The Cascio ttacks do not sound like him, but instead a known impersonator.
It has nothing to do with the songs being labelled as Cascio.
Nobody in their right mind would question 2000 Watts. It’s clearly Michael. That’s a tired argument.
If you are tired of people acting like they are voice anlaysis experts then try taking a look at the detailed forensic report by one of the world’s most highly repected voice experts that I posted in the other thread.

Because the other songs all sound like him and have a traceable history. The Cascio ttacks do not sound like him, but instead a known impersonator.
It has nothing to do with the songs being labelled as Cascio.
Nobody in their right mind would question 2000 Watts. It’s clearly Michael. That’s a tired argument.
If you are tired of people acting like they are voice anlaysis experts then try taking a look at the detailed forensic report by one of the world’s most highly repected voice experts that I posted in the other thread.
I can’t agree with the second part of your post, since there are fans questioning Hollywood Tonight to this day

Back