We Are The World 25 for Haiti / Official video now in first post.

Re: Live -- 'We Are the World' Remake

Huh Lil Wayne... At least he won't get paid for that, this can just help.

Please MJ vocals be in it.. yes that'll bring more money, but it's for a great cause. MJ would want to us to help those people in Haiti. In any way we can. And music is a perfect way, and even more since Michael wrote the lyrics of that song!

Oh an PS- let's not forget about the time Lil Wayne yelled "I pledge allegiance to the flag, Michael Jackson is a fag" on UStream-- you can youtube it! Why isn't anyone doing quality control on this thing???

These two-faced hypocrites need to GTFO right nowww!

Half these celebrities were bashing Michael up until June 24, 2009. This is just purely enraging.

Last edited:

I wish they would released the old version too. So people could have 2 choice.

Huh Lil Wayne... At least he won't get paid for that, this can just help.

Please MJ vocals be in it.. yes that'll bring more money, but it's for a great cause. MJ would want to us to help those people in Haiti. In any way we can. And music is a perfect way, and even more since Michael wrote the lyrics of that song!

OMG!! your siggy....Michael & Prince are carbon copies. They have the same eyes and facial expression.

michaelforever3: I know, but actually, even if this song wouldn't exist if it wasn't of Michael.. They are remaking this song for Haiti, not for Michael or for MJ fans.
So they're trying to reach as many people as possible with as various artists as possible, of course their choice is disputable, but well.. what can we do now other than support the song so we can help Haiti...
Those people we don't like (for reasons) could have just said no to the invitation of joigning the remake to help...

OMG!! your siggy....Michael & Prince are carbon copies. They have the same eyes and facial expression.

Yeah, that Blanket pic reminded me of this MJ pic at the second I saw it!

I know, but actually, even if this song wouldn't exist if it wasn't of Michael.. They are remaking this song for Haiti, not for Michael or for MJ fans.
So they're trying to reach as many people as possible with as various artists as possible, of course their choice is disputable, but well.. what can we do now other than support the song so we can help Haiti...
Those people we don't like (for reasons) could have just said no to the invitation of joigning the remake to help...

I agree with the point of supporting Haiti by getting artists together to raise money.

I don't agree with having them remake "We are the World" with artists who have disrespected Michael in the past.

I personally believe they should re-release the original or create a new song altogether.

I hate to say it but I dont even think charity is the reason behind this it's just to make all these celebritys look good you think Kanye gives a darn about Haiti?

When Michael wrote the song he genuienly cared about what was going on and if he were with us now he would just as loving and careing but without him it just seems like a publicity stunt.

I know, but actually, even if this song wouldn't exist if it wasn't of Michael.. They are remaking this song for Haiti, not for Michael or for MJ fans.

I won't support the single solely because of Eminem. I swore I would never buy a product from this punk..and I am not gonna break my promise. But I will give to Doctors without borders...an organization I love and admire.

I understand wanting to reach a large pool, but at least keep the integrity of the song. Eminem is definitely not it. And he has some nerves to agree to put his vocals on an MJ song..after the stunt he pulled

I hate to say it but I dont even think charity is the reason behind this it's just to make all these celebritys look good you think Kanye gives a darn about Haiti?

When Michael wrote the song he genuienly cared about what was going on and if he were with us now he would just as loving and careing but without him it just seems like a publicity stunt.

I agree...I mean I hardly believe they would be covering "We are the World" if Michael were still living. It's all for show, and the brainwashed masses are going to eat it up.

I understand your point, and I share it to a certain level too. I agree with the choice of artists opinion, and Eminem and everything. The choice is not perfect, they could have done much better, maybe they didn't have the time, or wanted to have too many people (100???).

Probably an old version just with another take Michael did back then would sell just as much.
Let's just hope they are gonna have a good time doing it and maybe some spirits there are gonna be lightened by the experience. Cause it's suppose to be all about L.O.V.E. Maybe tey'll learn something tonight.

Read the whole thread. Still can't decide what to think of this recording.

On one hand, money is money and Haiti needs it badly. I think it's way too faster and easier to re-record a classic song with new popular artists than write a new song. Since the money is needed soon, I guess it's a good idea they chose We Are the World, because a lot of people heard it and it's a amazing song, everyone will buy it. Also, it's good they invited all these modern singers, it will attrack young generation to buy this record. Also good for Haiti.

However I really have a problem with some of the names there. I mean, Eminem is there?? But if Eminem is not beyond hope yet, there's a chance this song will change him for the better. (Although I personally think he's beyond hope). But Michael always believed in good in people and even after that Eminem's song about him, he called him "Mr. Eminem" and was very respectful. I want to try and be like that and think there's still hope for Eminem and Lil Wayne and the rest of them.

If Michael's vocals are there I am buying this record. If not, well, I support UNICEF, so I'll just make an extra donation.

And a question about Randy Jackson. Do we know if it's "our" Randy Jackson or the AI one?

Also, very glad to see 3T are participating. They are genuine and also a part of Michael's legacy.

Re: We Are The World to be re-recorded for Haiti.

do we know what label is releasing the song? is it Sony?

And a question about Randy Jackson. Do we know if it's "our" Randy Jackson or the AI one?

Also, very glad to see 3T are participating. They are genuine and also a part of Michael's legacy.

I don't think it is "our" Randy. Today K.Faye was saying that the family wasn't invited to the remake. Also if Randy was there probably the other brothers will be as well. To me it looks like the AI one. What does other people think?

Taj confirmed their participation at twitter

Was just part of the new "We are the World". It was incredible experience. And for an incredible cause.

http://twitter.com/taj/status/8532035037

Re: *VIDEO* Info regarding Prince & Paris WATW contribution.

Could someone please upload these on YouTube cause I had a fan PM me stating they can't view the vids... Thanx :)

I am supporting the children in whatever they decide to do. I am there for them all the way.

i wish all the singers would just arrive on one big bus lol

LOL...Impossible! All of those egos wouldn't be able to fit on one bus! :D
According to that ET report, approx 100 actors(???)/musicians will be singing. I don't know, that many seems excessive. It's like Hollyweird sent out a memo saying "hey we're doing a tribute(MJ SONG!!!), who wants to join in??" And, there you are, we have this random huge list of people. I was very surprised to read Eminem and Lil' Wayne are part of this. Are they trying to do something good now, to make up for their past actions?

I'm hoping they keep Michael's vocals in the song. Would not be right otherwise. :no:

I agree...I mean I hardly believe they would be covering "We are the World" if Michael were still living. It's all for show, and the brainwashed masses are going to eat it up.

THANK YOU!!!

Haiti needs help, infact Haiti needed help before this earthquake and awareness needs to spread ASAP.....which means people's hearts need to be in the right place!

I have this strange feeling that people here wont be happy with what THE KIDS DECIDE TO DO.

You don't know if they can sing or not hell their DAD was Michael f**king Jackson for god sake! Even if they were messing around they were on Point! You need to realize that these kids are defo old enough to make their own choices. It is NOT up to us to make up their minds on anything. We have no say in THEIR life. We are going to have to deal with what ever they decide to do.

If the kids want to be on this song GREAT! Don't rip them apart for wanting to pay tribute to their dad.

i so agree with you, cuz if i could sing a lick and i was MJ's child i would want to sing along in that tribute, i think it is wonderful.

I have this strange feeling that people here wont be happy with what THE KIDS DECIDE TO DO.

You don't know if they can sing or not hell their DAD was Michael f**king Jackson for god sake! Even if they were messing around they were on Point! You need to realize that these kids are defo old enough to make their own choices. It is NOT up to us to make up their minds on anything. We have no say in THEIR life. We are going to have to deal with what ever they decide to do.

If the kids want to be on this song GREAT! Don't rip them apart for wanting to pay tribute to their dad.

i so agree with you, cuz if i could sing a lick and i was MJ's child i would want to sing along in that tribute, i think it is wonderful.:clapping:

Am I the only one here who is a bit worried about the kids going into the spotlight after Michael tried so hard to keep them away from it? ...

Gosh, they are children......as beautiful as the gesture may be, I really don't want them to slowly become part of the industry.....Michael wanted them to enjoy their childhoods away from all that....

:(

Stars gather for 'We Are the World' recording

By Alan Duke, CNN
February 2, 2010 3:55 a.m. ESTFebruary 2, 2010 3:55 a.m.
ESTFebruary 2, 2010 -- Updated 0855 GMT (1655 HKT)

Lionel Richie, who co-wrote the first song with Michael Jackson, is organizing the re-recording.

Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- Dozens of recording stars converged on a Hollywood studio on Monday evening to add their voices to a song they hope will raise millions of dollars for Haitian earthquake relief. The lyrics and music are an updated version of "We Are the World," a song that raised at least $30 millions for African humanitarian programs 25 years ago. Music legends -- including crooner Tony Bennett and Barbra Streisand -- stood with newcomers -- including 15-year-old Justin Bieber and country artist Zac Brown -- in the crowded studio Monday night. Lionel Richie and the original producer, Quincy Jones, gathered "a diverse group of contemporary superstar artists" at the same studio used for the 1985 recording session," organizers said in a news release. Richie co-wrote the first song with Michael Jackson.

The production team includes producer-musician Wyclef Jean, producer RedOne and producer-musical director Ricky Minor, the statement said. The world premiere of the new "We Are the World" will take place during the NBC network's coverage of the Winter Olympics opening ceremony in Vancouver, Canada, on February 12, it said.

Paparazzi and security surrounded Henson Studios, just off Hollywood's Sunset Boulevard, as limousines delivered the stars Monday for what was expected to be a marathon overnight recording session. Smokey Robinson, who sang on the original, said the roster of 100 singers asked to take part does not include any of the 45 stars from the previous version. Legendary crooner Tony Bennett and Beach Boy original Brian Wilson were among those seen entering the studio Monday evening. Many of the stars were already in Los Angeles to attend Sunday's Grammy Awards show. The original 1985 roster of artists was packed with such superstars that Jones placed a sign above the studio door that read: "Check your egos at the door."

The roster of artists made public by organizers includes:
Carlos Santana, Orianthi, Jennifer Hudson, Jamie Foxx, Sugarland, Adam Levine, Jason Mraz, Earth Wind & Fire, Natalie Cole, The Jonas Brothers, T Pain, Brian Wilson, Justin Bieber, Nicole Scherzinger, India.Arie, Julianne Hough, Mary Mary, Melanie Fiona, Bebe Winans, Mya, Tyrese Gibson, Anthony Hamilton, Raphael Saadiq, Gladys Knight, Keri Hilson, Joel & Benji Madden, Heart, Brandy, Pink, Musiq Soulchild, Miley Cyrus, Akon, Jordin Sparks, Celine Dion, Rob Thomas, Katharine Mcphee, Jeff Bridges, Randy Jackson, Patti Austin, Kid Cudi, Usher, Will.I.Am, Kanye West, LL Cool J, Issac Slade (Aka The Fray), Snoop Dogg, Nicole Richie, Trey Songz, Ethan Bortnick, Taryll Jackson, Taj Jackson, Tj Jackson, Vince Vaughn, Drake, Freda Payne, Faith Evans, Robin Thicke, Rashida Jones, Barbra Streisand, Jimmy Jean Louis, Enrique Iglesias, Zac Brown, Lil Wayne, Tony Bennett, Josh Groban, Sean Garrett, Harry Connick Jr., Al Jardine, Bone Thugs and Harmony (Bizzy Bones) and Ar Rahmen.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/02/01/haiti.we.are.the.world/index.html

If this is true then I hope they've done this at their own accord, not being made to. Bless these wonderful kids though, so obvious how much they love their dad and want to continue his legacy. Michael looks down on them one very very proud daddy.

I'll rather give money without buying this! I don't need to get something in return.

Eminem :puke: :no:

ok I am no longer supporting this project

I know its for a good cause but why have Lil Wayne when hes not produced one good song in his discography. The only reason why Wayne would be on it is because he is one of few artists atm that can get record sales. Hate Wayne and I hate Eminem Post-2002. This is disapointing. I think we will hear autotune tbh. Wayne is an artist that brings out the "shit" in Kanye. Proof being the 2 songs off Graduation & 808s. =/ Gutted!

I had that feelings It will be happend someone needs to sing MJ Part so Who? Indefined should be his children ! Well Done , but my concern is going right now.Michael never wanted to getting involve his kids into showbiznes.Hope his children will continued to help others .Bless them !

Im looking at the roster, the roster is pretty huge. But wheres Beyonce and Adam Lambert? :worried:

This is all so wrong. why Eminem and Lil Wayne? :no:

Last edited:

Here is the official press release about the 'We Are The World 25 for Haiti' project.
Only a little mention about Michael (written by Richie and Michael Jackson).

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...itian-earthquake-relief-efforts-83322387.html

Producer Quincy Jones, Singer/Songwriter Lionel Richie, Wyclef Jean and Superstar Artists Mark 25th Anniversary of 'We Are The World' to Benefit Haitian Earthquake Relief Efforts

Academy Award Winning Writer-Director To Film The Historic Recording Session

LOS ANGELES, Feb. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Producer Quincy Jones and singer/songwriter Lionel Richie, the producer and co-writer of the iconic 1985 philanthropic anthem We Are The World, have confirmed that they have teamed with producer/musician Wyclef Jean and Grammy-winning producer RedOne and producer/musical director Ricky Minor in association with Randy Phillips, President & CEO, AEG Live to record a contemporary version of the song to benefit the Haitian earthquake relief efforts on Monday, February 1, 2010. The world premiere of We Are The World - 25 For Haiti will air during NBC's coverage of the Opening Ceremony of the Vancouver Winter Olympics on Friday, February 12. Following the world premiere on NBC, it will air on other networks throughout the world. This project was made possible through a contribution from Visa.
Twenty five years after the original recording at Henson Recording Studios (formerly A&M Recording Studios) in Hollywood, Jones, Richie, Jean, RedOne, Minor and Phillips will bring together a diverse group of contemporary superstar artists in the very same recording studio to record the world renowned song originally written by Richie and Michael Jackson.
In addition to recording the landmark song, Academy Award-winning writer-director Paul Haggis (Crash, Million Dollar Baby) whose own personal efforts as well as those of Artists for Peace and Justice have already saved countless lives inHaiti, will film the session to create an accompanying video. Both the contemporary version of We Are The World and the accompanying video will be available for purchase through a consortium of on-line and retail partners with all proceeds going directly to the earthquake relief efforts in the country of Haiti through the We Are The World Foundation, a newly created not-for-profit organization made up of board members Quincy Jones, Lionel Richie, Wyclef Jean, Paul Haggis,Randy Phillips and Ambassador Louis Moreno of the Inter-American Development Bank.
Commented Jones, "25 years ago, the entertainment industry showed the power of community to help our fellow man when we recorded 'We Are The World' to bring relief to those suffering from famine in Ethiopia. And while the need to assistant Africa continues, today the country of Haiti is suffering immeasurably from the destruction due to the recent earthquake and is in immediate need of relief that will last long after the television cameras have left. As artists, we have joined together on this 25th anniversary and in the spirit of 'We Are The World' to help meet that need."
"What an unbelievable group of people who have come together to give their voices, for a cause to start the healing of a people who have experienced a devastation of such magnitude," said Richie. "We believe 'We Are The World - 25 for Haiti' can be the start of the healing process."
"On January 12th, the people of Haiti were faced with a tragedy unlike anything the country has ever experienced," said Wyclef Jean, songwriter and cofounder of the We Are The World Foundation. "Today, I am proud to be joined by so many members of the artistic community that want to support the region and have donated their time and talents to providing an effective way for the global community to get involved with helping the Haitian population."
"I'm thrilled Quincy, Lionel and Randy invited me to be a part of something so wonderful in which we are standing side by side with Haitian artists and community to help them rebuild their broken nation," commented Paul Haggis.
Upon its original release, We Are the World quickly became the fastest selling single in history and in the years that have followed, USA for Africa has raised and distributed more than $63 million in revenue from the sales of more than 7 million units of the album, single and cassettes, plus nearly 2 million digital sales and related merchandise. Just over half the total was spent on emergency relief (food, medicine, and refugee services) and the balance was used to support more than 500 different relief, rehabilitation and development projects in 18 different countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
"When first approached about re-recording 'We Are The World', it didn't seem like a great idea since the original version was so iconic," said Randy Phillips, President & CEO, AEG Live. "Then Haiti happened and that changed everything. Quincy and Lionel decided that 'We Are the World' was created just for emergencies like this. This recording will have a life of its own and keep Haiti in the public eye at the same time raising much needed funds to continue the healing, reconstruction and rebirth of this country," Phillips added.
"In the 25 years that have passed since 'We Are The World' was first released, technology has provided the means to make it a movement," said Peter Tortorici, CEO, GroupM Entertainment WW who will oversee all distribution and broadcast opportunities while also serving as an executive producer on the project. "We are honored to provide our support to make 'We Are the World - 25 For Haiti' a powerful global platform that show what the power of community can accomplish."
This project was made possible through a contribution from Visa. The 25th Anniversary recording will help further the spirit of activism around the 25th Anniversary of We Are the World that was at the heart of the original song and movement.

Back