Weekend News Bytes for March 7-9, 2008 (Updated for March 9 on post # 57)

MJJChichi

Proud Member
Press ReleaseSource: SONY BMG

'NOW That's What I Call Music!' Franchise and VH1 Classic Announce Partnership To Co-Promote 'NOW That's What I Call The '80s!' CD
Friday March 7, 10:04 am ET VH1 CLASSIC TO PREMIERE "VH1 CLASSIC PRESENTS: NOW '80S" ON FRIDAY, MARCH 7 AT 11AM ET/PT Special To Feature Videos From Iconic '80s Artists Including The Police, Michael Jackson, Bob Seger, Duran Duran And Will Be Hosted By Mark Goodman with special guest Rick Springfield
NEW YORK, March 7 /PRNewswire/ -- "Now That's What I Call Music!" and VH1 Classic are pleased to announce a new partnership in which they will co- promote the release of "NOW That's What I Call The '80s!" compilation CD, in stores on March 11. The release is the first genre-specific compilation from the world's best selling multi-artist album series, "NOW That's What I Call Music!"
[SIZE=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/SIZE]
B2695107;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;ord=1204914093754636
In conjunction with the release of the CD, VH1 Classic will premiere a one-hour special "VH1 Classic Presents: Now '80s" on Friday, March 7 at 11:00 am ET/PT with videos from the artists featured on the album including Billy Joel, Wham!, Men At Work, Tears For Fears and more. The show will be hosted by one of the original VJ's, Mark Goodman, with a special guest appearance by '80s heartthrob Rick Springfield, who will reminisce about his musical experiences from the decade. Springfield will also delight viewers with a performance of his '80s hit "Jessie's Girl."
Launched in May 2000, VH1 Classic is a 24-hour network that present videos, concerts and music specials all day long, featuring the best of rock, soul and pop artists from the '60s, '70s, '80s and the early '90s including The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Tina Turner, Led Zeppelin, Marvin Gaye, The Who, Stevie Wonder, The Police and many more. Learn more at www.vh1classic.com.
The "NOW That's What I Call Music!" series debuted in the United States in 1998 after the NOW brand had been an enormous, multi-platinum international success for nearly 20 years. To date, the NOW series has generated sales of over 200 million albums worldwide, and has sold over 67 million copies in the United States since its debut. Every album in the NOW series has reached the Billboard Top 10, and it is the only non-soundtrack, multi-artist collection to reach #1 Billboard status on the Billboard Top 200 Album Sales Chart.
"NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL THE '80s!" TRACK LISTING 1. Michael Jackson Billie Jean 2. Billy Joel Uptown Girl 3. Wham! Wake Me Up Before You Go Go 4. Cyndi Lauper Girls Just Wanna Have Fun 5. Duran Duran Hungry Like The Wolf 6. Simple Minds Don't You Forget About Me 7. The Fixx One Thing Leads To Another 8. Steve Miller Abracadabra 9. Bob Seger Shakedown 10. The Police Every Breath You Take 11. Whitesnake Here I Go Again 12. Survivor Eye Of The Tiger 13. Herbie Hancock Rockit 14. David Bowie Let's Dance 15. Men At Work Who Can It Be Now? 16. Tears For Fears Everybody Wants To Rule The World 17. Rick Springfield Jessie's Girl 18. Bryan Adams Heaven 19. Heart What About Love? 20. Bonnie Tyler Total Eclipse Of The Heart
Source: SONY BMG
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080307/nyf031.html?.v=101

Akon Wants Acquittal via Michael Jackson

As the go-to music guy of the moment, Akon is in hot demand. No wonder Michael Jackson recruited him to remix his classic tune "Wanna Be Startin Somethin" for the 25th anniversary edition of the landmark Thriller album.

Now, the King of Pop is returning the favor by making a cameo on Akon’s forthcoming album, Acquitted. According to reports, although Jackson has finished recording his part of the song, it was unclear whether all legal issues were handled. Still, Akon is confident the track will rank up there with his other big hits.

"It's a worldwide record," the crooner recently told MTVNews, adding that he is hopeful the Jackson collabo will make the album. "The record is so huge. It's too big. [Michael's] the only person I could have collaborated with. The other [songs] on the album are huge though."

As far as when Acquitted will hit stores, Akon promised that fans won’t have a long wait on their hands.

"We're trying to get it out by the first week of May," he said. "The album is practically done now." And while he is focused on completing work on Acquitted, Akon is already thinking ahead to his next opus.

"My fourth album is called Double Jeopardy,"said the singer, who is adding to his resume as the executive producer for the re-release Latin pop star Kat DeLuna’s debut album 9 Lives. "I'm already on it. It's all set up. If they want all the records now, it would take me 30 days to put it together."
http://allhiphop.com/stories/alternatives/archive/2008/03/07/19417976.aspx

-------------------------------------
http://www.adweek.com/aw/content_display/n...6a74ad94d7bc7a3

SoBe Lizards to Star on Billboards

NEW YORK This year's Super Bowl viewers saw a group of lizards dancing with supermodel (and cell phone enthusiast) Naomi Campbell to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" in a spot for Pepsi's SoBe Life Water.

Directed by Peter Arnell, CEO of independent The Arnell Group here, the spot was the shop's first work for SoBe. Arnell was handed the estimated $20 million business late last year without a review, per sources. Publicis Groupe-backed Bartle Bogle Hegarty had handled the account. (BBH held the business for about a year but never produced any work for the client.)

The Super Bowl spot was just the beginning of a marketing push for the brand. Arnell's second effort, which is set to launch on March 19 in New York's Times Square and then move across the country, will focus on billboards that highlight the lizard, the Web site Thrillicious.com and show off the five SoBe flavors: blackberry grape, pomegranate cherry, orange tangerine, strawberry kiwi and passion fruit citrus.

"This billboard blitz will enable consumers to experience on a street level the uniqueness of SoBe, the SoBe lizards and the overall "Thrillicious" movement from New York to Los Angeles -- no matter where they work or live," said Massimo d'Amore, CEO of PepsiCo Americas Beverages, in a statement,

The dancing lizards are meant to represent the silhouette of a lizard that is seen on all bottles of SoBe.

"We created a series of characters that best represent the spirit of the product," said Arnell. "There's a great love for this type of character who is outrageous, underground and friendly but with an edge."

Arnell, who designed Jackson's Invincible cover art and marketing campaign, has big plans for the lizards. "They're the Nike swoosh of SoBe. There will be merchandise and we'll follow them around," he said. "We're not going to be the brand that works for them; they're going to work for us."

While Arnell is cagey about future plans, he does offer this hint: "All you need to do is think Disney."

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: March 7, 2007 MJ News & Mentionings

Not much interesting today,huh?
Thanks anyway!

Thanks, interesting to know that the lizards ad will be even more visible. :)

Yeah, those lizards are gonna be everywhere this year. And that means little Michael reminders are gonna be everywhere as well.

I have been drinking this Sobe Life Water and it is really good. Especially if you get it really, really, cold.

thanks for the news today

Thanks for the news :)

Thanks for posting.

Thanx for the news. Its great to hear about the Lizards and the Vh1 too. We are going to be seeing and hearing more MJ music, can't complain. :smile:

Re: Weekend News Bytes for March 7-9, 2008

OMG, is she like a famous singer in Singapore? That was just amazing!

weekend news thread is kinda tough to fallow.. Just a little.. cuz we have to keep coming back to see if any updates.(not knowing where the present day begins, yesterday ends. etc.)

thank you though.. The news thread is the back bone of the forum

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/5123

McCartney Inks Deal to Make Beatles' Music Available on iTunes

In the wake of his divorce from Heather Mills, which is expected to take a sizable chunk of his savings, Paul McCartney has authorized the release of the Beatles' back catalog on iTunes, in a deal expected to net over $400 million. The release will help soften the blow of McCartney's multi-million dollar divorce.
The deal has been rumored and delayed more times than we can count, but this time industry insiders say that the tracks will be available by the end of the year.
The profits from making the music available on iTunes will be split amongst Paul, Ringo Star, and the families of the late John Lennon and George Harrison. Past deals with EMI, Sony, and Michael Jackson will also mean that they'll get a cut on payday. It's not yet clear how much McCartney stands to make personally from the deal.
McCartney's divorce has cost him nearly $10 million to date, and insists that he is worth less than the £825 million commonly cited. Mills suggests that he is worth much more than that, however. Details of the settlement are expected to be drawn up over the next ten days. Mills is expected to receive between £20million and £30million.
The timing of the iTunes deal, however, could throw a wrench into things for McCartney. With the settlement not yet finalized, Mills could be inspired to ask the judge for a large payout considering his increased income.
The judge in their divorce case is expected to announce the ruling on March 17. He is taking into account not only McCartney's earnings during their four year marriage, but also his future earnings.
Paul told the trade magazine "Music Week" that he expected the Beatles would have their back catalog on iTunes "this year." Adding, "Everyone wants it. It's just ironing out the details."
Ironing out the details is what has taken so long already for the deal to be finalized. With so many parties involved, any deal involving the Beatles is inevitably slow, and industry insiders are warning that this deal could be slow moving as well. Which would make an end of the year target far more realistic than something a couple months from now.
When the Beatles back catalog is released, industry insiders are expecting a slew of new number one hits for the band.
Paul Williams, "Music Week" editor, said that the sheer breadth of the band's work set them apart from other groups:
"Unlike some acts, where people are only going to be interested in a handful of songs, the Beatles catalogue contains a hundred or more songs that are all-time classics," he said

weekend news thread is kinda tough to fallow.. Just a little.. cuz we have to keep coming back to see if any updates.(not knowing where the present day begins, yesterday ends. etc.)

thank you though.. The news thread is the back bone of the forum

I always put in parentheses when the news thread is updated like for tomorrow I will put (Updated for March 8) I can put also in there the post number that the news is updated on so that can help also. I will start doing that so everyone will know where to look.

When the Beatles back catalog is released, industry insiders are expecting a slew of new number one hits for the band.
Paul Williams, "Music Week" editor, said that the sheer breadth of the band's work set them apart from other groups:

What do they mean "slew of new number one hits"? Are these songs new? I thought these songs were old songs from their back catalogue that were released years ago.

I wonder what Michael's cut will be on the Beatle's catalog release. Hope it is enough to help him out if he needs it.

If the 4 Beatles are netting $400 mil, then Sony ATV is probably getting way more than that. Which means that Michael, as 1/2 owner of the company, is gonna pocket quite well on this one.

But I don't believe that Michael takes out money from the company on a whim. I believe he has a really nice salary as a chief partner, but most company owners don't just take a bunch of money out of their company all the time. Sony would have more reason to re-distribute their earnings since they are the ones who have to run the Sony company. But Michael doesn't have anyone to take care of but himself and his three kids. So he holds onto more of his they Sony does. That's why they want it from him. It's so damn valuable.

I wonder also what MJ,s cut will be also. It should be a great payday for him wouldn,t it. I,m hoping

What do they mean "slew of new number one hits"? Are these songs new? I thought these songs were old songs from their back catalogue that were released years ago.

Yep, if not let's make a mental note:

Pay attention as to how Billboard allows them to be charted:rolleyes: Though we probably can be sure the rules would change again, just in time for their release:lol:.

I wonder also what MJ,s cut will be also. It should be a great payday for him wouldn,t it. I,m hoping

I pray this will be so, as well! :)

These are the times that we should show our appreciation:wub: to members such as; Rasta, denisr, TSCM, damien, Dats & others who provide factual updates & answers!

Last edited:

Yeah, but he also I am sure has to put money back into the company if they are acquiring other publishing companies.

Companies always put back a percentage of profits into the business for investments and depreciation. It is part of the accounting rules, and is ofset by taxes, only after can they look at net profit. It is the net profit that MJ will share with Sony share holders, of course MJ will get half of that all by his lonesome. This means that MJ does earn more money from the business than any sony individual.
MJ aslo gets a salary from the company which is different from profit. He gets that because he is on the board of geverners. The fact that they have to go to him for signing signitures and advice makes him a consultant and earns him a salary.

Last edited:

Michael Jackson News for March 8, 2008:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23342904-2902,00.html

SIR Paul McCartney has sanctioned the release of the Beatles' back catalogue on iTunes in a deal that is expected to bring $434 million.
The online release, which will be the internet music service's most lucrative download, will cushion Sir Paul from the effects of his multi-million-dollar divorce from Heather Mills.
By the end of the year, fans using iTunes will be able to buy songs from albums such as Help! and Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
EMI, Sony and Michael Jackson own recording or publishing rights to Beatle songs and will get some of the cash.

It is not clear what portion will go to 65-year-old Sir Paul

Michael Jackson Mentionings for March 8, 2008:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-inside-story-on-hollywood-sleaze-793238.html

His client list reads like a celebrity who's who, including, most notably, Michael Jackson, Sylvester Stallone, Kevin Costner and possibly – according to some admittedly partisan news sources – Bill and Hillary Clinton.

http://www.2snaps.tv/9814701

America’s Best Dance Crew
Fysh and Chicks couldn’t dodge elimination any longer and walked it out. I was sorry to see them go especially since this was their best week ever. The theme this week was Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” album, and they rocked “Billie Jean,” especially with that crazy heart formation they did on the floor. At least they didn't completely lose their minds when they got booted like Live in Color. That was uncomfortable.
Kaba Modern should win this show, but I’ve watched too many reality competitions to believe that they people who should win, do win.
Status Quo is starting to seem really over-rated to me. Too many tricks and not enough dancing for my taste.
Break Sk8 is good, but I’m just not that into them.
Jabbawockeez are amazing. They know how to put on a show. I think it should come down to them versus Kaba, but we’ll see.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/5602556.html

Welch also incorporates Dandini, the Prince's valet, from Rossini's opera La Cenerentola; and Buttons, Cinderella's faithful companion-servant, from English pantomime. Throw in a little Tim Burton, a little Thriller-era Michael Jackson and a little Cirque du Soleil, and you begin to get the picture.

http://www.dmnews.com/Spam-rates-st...sidential-candidates-Symantec/article/107754/

In addition to the political themed spam, last month also saw a number of false celebrity-themed spam messages. Messages that claim to have links to videos of Michael Jackson, Heather Mills and Indiana Jones were also popular ways to illicit consumers to give up personal information. This went beyond the US, as Chinese consumers received fraudulent messaging about popular Hong Kong celebrity news.

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_American_Idol_And_There_Were_12_14920.html

The finalists will be allowed to sing Lennon-McCartney Beatles songs next week, for the first time in the show’s seven-year history, as “Idol” producers recently secure rights for participants to perform the hard-to-get songs belonging to Sony/ATV Music Publishing, a company formed by Sony and Michael Jackson.

Following this big news, there shall be some surprises next week and, personally, I can’t wait for the big winner.

Michael Jackson HIStory for March 8, 2008:

1993 - Michael Jackson started a film company to produce movies with uplifting themes.

1996 - The musical "Sisterella" premiered at the Pasadena Playhouse in Pasadena, CA. Michael Jackson was co-executive director and had invested in the play.

Last edited:

That is a lot of Beatles money coming in. Som people ain't gonna like it.

Re: Weekend News Bytes for March 7-9, 2008 (Updated for March 8 on post # 25)

How can he call the album "Acquitted" when Michael was the one who was acquitted?

Just wondering.....

How can he call the album "Acquitted" when Michael was the one who was acquitted?

Just wondering.....

It's just a name. no relation to michael

Akon's albums

Trouble
Konvicted
Acuitted
Double Jeopardy

Thanks for the news, don't you just love it when Michaels riding the wave.

Back