Weekend News Bytes for March 7-9, 2008 (Updated for March 9 on post # 57)

Michael's name is mentioned at least 3 times in the news every single day. I don't think that there are many others who can say that.

but the only postwar entertainers who could legitimately claim to equal Jackson's celebrity effect - Sinatra, Presley - are dead. Of pop's living deities, probably only a handful come close, among them Michael's younger sister, Janet.

I agree on this piece but not about Janet. I certainly don't agree that Janet has the same celebrity effect as Michael or Sinatra or Presley. She is up there but not that high. Strange even for the Guardian to say she does.

I agree on this piece but not about Janet. I certainly don't agree that Janet has the same celebrity effect as Michael or Sinatra or Presley. She is up there but not that high. Strange even for the Guardian to say she does.
I don't think they are saying that at all. They said the ONLY 2 that equal him are dead.
They said there are a handful that come close and Janet is one of them. I don't believe Janet comes close though, cause I don't think she is anywhere near as international or as popular as MJ. I also still thinks that she benefits from the jACKSON FAME more so than her own celeb fame.

Last edited:
The Guardian. It's that british newspaper that sometimes write bad things about MJ.

Alright - I know that the Guardian is a newspaper and I know that they trashed MJ. However, I asked "what is the link"? Now, if there is no link, just say so. LOL. That is all.

BTW, I doubt that Janet is at the same level as MJ. Janet is like at the Mariah Carey status.

Alright - I know that the Guardian is a newspaper and I know that they trashed MJ. However, I asked "what is the link"? Now, if there is no link, just say so. LOL. That is all.

BTW, I doubt that Janet is at the same level as MJ. Janet is like at the Mariah Carey status.
Well, excuse me. I thought I was being helpful. Actually, I posted the link in my new thread.:)

About the SoBe campaign...
While Arnell is cagey about future plans, he does offer this hint: "All you need to do is think Disney."

Oh I can not wait to see this!! Should be interesting. lol

Thanks to all for the news updates and tidbits. :flowers:

About the SoBe campaign...

Oh I can not wait to see this!! Should be interesting. lol

Thanks to all for the news updates and tidbits. :flowers:

I noticed the same thing. I wonder if the Lizards will be dancing at Disney to the Thriller song? Either way, I think that the thriller song will be played. And that can only be good.

International Herald Tribune article said:
Sony BMG resorted to the campaign in part because it faced some major hurdles to a traditional approach, beginning with the reclusive and tarnished pop star himself and his distaste for publicity and public performances.

1) Of course, according to media Jackson's image is "tarnished". They forgot to say "beyond recovery", with not chance to be presented to new generations, et cetera -- but this would even more nonsensical given they quote 11 million viewers watching "Thriller" prison version

2) media is no media without lying -- they said in the article that original version of "Thriller" video was played "half" of 11 million plays for prison version; however, original version actually played 9.3 million times (while prison version 12.7 million), it is irrelevant anyway since billions people saw original "Thriller" video either way before "YouTube"

3) finally, it is now media all of sudden found out that Michael is not "PR obsessed calculator" but has "distaste for publicity and public performances".

EC: Unfortunately, history of Jackson's personal participation in promotion proved that he did not agree on or canceled too many shows, performances and award ceremonies in the past even when concerned to promotion of his new albums.

According to Michael (and it is evident from his history) he really dislikes whatever publicity, any kind of it:
1) better no interviews;
2) better no tours;
3) better no appearances;
4) better no performances.

However, we can hope that if Jackson will release new album, then management will somehow persuade him to do at least certain items of those four above.

EastEnders doing Thriller is news to me. That must have been about 5 yrs ago.

EC: Unfortunately, history of Jackson's personal participation in promotion proved that he did not agree on or canceled too many shows, performances and award ceremonies in the past even when concerned to promotion of his new albums.

According to Michael (and it is evident from his history) he really dislikes whatever publicity, any kind of it:
1) better no interviews;
2) better no tours;
3) better no appearances
4) better no performances.

However, we can hope that if Jackson will release new album, then management will somehow persuade him to do at least certain items of those four above.
^ don't think thats true at all. Cancels happen for a variety of reasons, doesnt mean he dislikes that thing. The ony think we know really for sure that he's hesitant about is tours and interviews...both with good reason.

With any given album, MJ's promotion of it has been up to par except for invincible, which was partially due to the Sony fiasco. But all things say that MJ likes to promote the album, he likes doing videos to promote the album, he likes performing, he likes the element of surprise when appearing some where.

Last edited:
Dats, you are good at finding them!

Tell me.....how do you post YouTube videos here? Cause I found a song over there called Let Me Go which is supposed to be on Michael's upcoming album. I swear, it sounds just like Michael. And it is good too. Have you seen it? Go over there and look it up and listen to it.

Tell me.....how do you post YouTube videos here? Cause I found a song over there called Let Me Go which is supposed to be on Michael's upcoming album. I swear, it sounds just like Michael. And it is good too. Have you seen it? Go over there and look it up and listen to it.

As much as I remember that was Jason Malachi !!

Not Mike. But it does sound very much like MJ!

Ya, I think that's Malachi too.

To post a YT video, just copy link location, then paste here. :)

I spend a lot of time listening to other artists appreciating MJ. It gives me so much pleasure.

If you want to post something from youtube;
1. Click on the url in the address box, the blue shade highlights the address..
2 Click on edit and copy
3,click on thread where you wish to post it
4. clock on paste. then press submit.:)

Last edited:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/business/media/10adco.html?ref=media

Dancers in the Crowd Bring Back ‘Thriller’

FROM their seats on the rumbling London Underground, a group of stony-faced passengers rose at random and burst into the jerky slide kick of a zombie dance before melting away without a word.
The response of British passengers — stiff gazes, nervous silence and tepid applause — was, naturally, videotaped and posted online, and it quickly spun off into zombie dance sequels at the central Copenhagen train station, in Chinatown in London and on the street outside the Sydney Opera House.
By this week, the videos had together been viewed more than a million times, to the pleasure of the music company Sony BMG, which staged the scenes to promote the 25th anniversary of “Thriller,” the Michael Jackson album that featured the zombie dance in a graveyard video.
A commemorative “Thriller” album, which contains original music and remixes with Kanye West and Fergie, is faring better in Europe and Asia than in the United States. In France, it has been the top-selling album for the last three weeks.
Sony BMG undertook the campaign in part because of some major hurdles to a traditional approach. Mr. Jackson is not only somewhat tarnished, but also reclusive. The solution was an unconventional strategy that has attracted news coverage as well as controversy over when a soft corporate sell should be disclosed.
In Britain, Sony BMG executives videotaped professional dancers in everyday settings — like the Tube and a Tesco supermarket. The results had a gritty street reality that mirrored amateur tributes like the video made in a Filipino prison, where more than a 1,000 orange-suited inmates performed “Thriller” as their daily exercise. That clip has been viewed more 11 million times on YouTube, about twice as many times as Mr. Jackson’s original version on that site.
“It’s really guerrilla marketing,” said Roger Menz, vice president for international strategic marketing for Sony BMG. “You go in, do your thing and leave as fast as you can. There was never any intention to hand out leaflets and say ‘Thriller’ is coming out again. It’s just bringing ‘Thriller’ back in the minds of people, but without the hard sell.”
But critics remain wary of the hazy line between guerrilla and “shill” marketing, an industry term for pitches whose source is not disclosed.
Emmanuel Vivier, the managing director of Vanksen Group, a communications agency in Luxembourg that specializes in viral marketing, said that Sony BMG had made it clear in its YouTube posts that the video from the London Tube was part of a contest in connection with the re-release of “Thriller.”
In Copenhagen, professional dancers made a surprise appearance in the middle of a busy train terminal, milling among other passengers in bulky winter coats and knit hats. When the first notes of “Thriller” echoed through the station, the dancers merged toward each other, jerking into zombie mode, right down to Mr. Jackson’s signature hip grinding moves. When the dance finished, they sauntered away wordlessly, leaving behind a space in the crowd and flustered passengers who seemed frozen in place.
Their dance was featured on national Danish television and posted on YouTube. Fritz Wehner, a dance teacher who organized the group of about a dozen dancers, said he wanted to do it as a tribute and contacted Sony BMG, which supported the group.
“It’s so funny to watch because it’s another way of doing a show,” said Mr. Wehner, who compared this approach to “public freezes” that have taken place in Trafalgar Square in London and in Grand Central Terminal in New York. “And people are surprised, of course, and you get a crowd pretty fast.”
The effort is part of the continuing quest to reach consumers without turning them off. Sony BMG executives said the strategy was successful with younger fans, a factor in the sales of “Thriller.” “It’s all about engaging the consumers,” said John Ingrassia, the Sony BMG commercial music group president.

Re: Weekend News Bytes for March 7-9, 2008 (Updated for March 8 on post # 25)

Michael Jackson News for March 9, 2008:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/07/business/MUSIC10.php

Getting a thrill out of "Thriller," 25 years later

nice article.. very informative...

love the approach.. it really shows that Michael and Sony had put alot of thought into the promotion of Thriller.. that its even become something innovative....at least this is how I am reading the article...

its just telling us fans.. that sometimes you have to "think outside the box"...

don't always say if Michael isn't doing a interview or performance.. there is no involvement or promo.. there is more than one way to do promotions... and the way they are doing this.. blind-sided the haters.. and its appealing to the emotions of the masses...

a continuation of the legacy is being written.........don't miss it!

Last edited:
I think this method of promo was really good. It's now all over the internet!

It also shows that Michael is open to new and innovative ways of promo-ing his music. I would not be surprised if we see his new album being promoting in some unconventional ways too.

OMG! I'm listening to Michael's XM radio station and they are playing Heartbreaker from the Invincible album!

That girl I can't take her...shudda know she was a heartbreaker! :punk:

Jason Malacai or not, that 'Let Me let Go' song is hot, I listen to it every day at my office on my computer. Everytime I listen to it I can see MJ perfoming it live!

Wow, that Sobe LifeWater ad is in heavy rotation on FOX tonight. I have seen it twice in the last 30 minutes.

J5Master: Michael likes dancing and singing, but not exactly preforming; he gets nervous because he is perfectionist and he is like never satisfied with tiniest things that did not occur on the stage according to his idea.

That is the same reason why Jackson rather wants to perform for his recorded sound, rather singing live. Voice recording sessions usually "last forever" until perfection is reached. There is simply no way how Michael could comfortable re-create his vocal performance on stage. So he is no so keen with live vocal performances, preferring lipsyncing.

With dance performances, Jackson would rather prefer to rehearse "forever" and make a perfect thing for a video, rather than performing live on stage the same thing again and again. And if he performs, the dance better to be different, especially for the song like "Billie Jean".

All by himself, Michael can love dancing and singing very much, and he sad so himself; however, this love absolutely has nothing to do with stage performances. With the latter, Jackson said many times there is huge feeling of stadium crowd and force of the music. But this is totally different from just loving to sing and dance in home or in studio. With the latter, the burden of dissatisfaction with himself because of perfectionism is by far not that high.

So aside of tours and interview, Michael is not keen to perform either. Nor he likes public appearances. Just read what people who know him for decades said about him about how hard it is to drag him anywhere in public place. See Diana Ross, Elizabeth Taylor, Chris Tucker et cetera.

So, for Michael: better no tours, better no interviews, better no performances, better no public appearances.

Back