Wembley DVD content - discuss Michael, his concert and performance ONLY [discussion ]

Re: BAD 25 MJ Demo's unreleased and unheard studio songs [Discussion thread]

Does anyone else think that POF could indeed be good enough to be a singel release? :yes:

Price of fame doesn't sound quite finished to me, the vocals do i guess, but the music not so much, the drum track barely exists, and i don't think that's really some kind of artistic decision or anything, the synths a little rough, compare it to the standard of production on the final Bad album, it falls a little short, i think it's more a high end demo done to a click track that they could have replaced some of the music layers if they wanted to and tightened up without the need of Michael having to perform another vocal track. Whilst i love these synth sounds, they're much more at home with the baby be mine/thriller demo's and the al capone sound (another demo). I think if this would have been on the album, the version we'd be used to would sound slightly differen't in the sounds and production department, but i do think it's a very high end demo, and i do love it :)

I think the drums are done that way quite intentionally. For a song like this to have a typical snare on the 2 and 4 would make it sound even more like Billie Jean Part II. What we hear instead is an interesting pattern where the kick hits on the 2 and the 4, while the shakers help the track move with a nice subtle shuffle. There's also some snare/clap hits going on in the chorus, a bit lower in the mix with some awesome delay/reverb. Great ambience in this track. It's got a bit of a reggae tinge to it, as I've said before, like Billie Jean meets Dirty Diana meets Spirits in the Material World.

It's the type of track that Michael does flawlessly, and should have done more often - simple, effective instrumentation that provides a vibe and an atmosphere while he does all the work in the vocal department. And man, do his vocals ever tear it up on this one.

Here's another track that I find to have a similar vibe going on in the rhythm section.

Last edited:
Re: Wembley DVD content - discuss Michael, his concert and performances ONLY

Or maybe just a good story MJ made up...

In Private HomeMovies he said he did NOT perform it in respect of her and she asked him to perform it - and then MJ said it was too late to get it back in the show! - MJ was very clearly making up a good story!

MJ just performed the song without thinking about it and only later he found out some would say it was disrespect I think. DD was never meant to be taken out of the set-list that evening I think!

Or maybe Michael just didn't remember everything. The concert was over 20 years old after all

I think the drums are done that way quite intentionally. For a song like this to have a typical snare on the 2 and 4 would make it sound even more like Billie Jean Part II. What we hear instead is an interesting pattern where the kick hits on the 2 and the 4, while the shakers help the track move with a nice subtle shuffle. There's also some snare/clap hits going on in the chorus, a bit lower in the mix with some awesome delay/reverb. Great ambience in this track. It's got a bit of a reggae tinge to it, as I've said before, like Billie Jean meets Dirty Diana meets Spirits in the Material World.

It's the type of track that Michael does flawlessly, and should have done more often - simple, effective instrumentation that provides a vibe and an atmosphere while he does all the work in the vocal department. And man, do his vocals ever tear it up on this one.

Here's another track that I find to have a similar vibe going on in the rhythm section.

I dunno, i mean i'd link to think so, but for me the synths sound to rough for something you could whack straight on Bad. i'm not necessarily suggesting a cliche drum beat here at all, just i think it would be more developed, by the late 80's he'd have had the facility's to make pretty tight demos with his A and B teams. Imagine this was on bad and always had been, i think it would stand out for the production being slightly too muddy, don't get me wrong i think it is pretty developed, i think it sounds like it's been recorded by the B team to a high degree, but is not quite what it would be had Michael sat down more and refined it with Bruce and Quincy and the team and got it ready to slap straight on the record. I may well be wrong, but i think the song could be further improved sonically, compare it to something like Billie Jean for example, or smooth criminal, and if i think it could be further improved that to me feels like it isn't 100% finished, that team were producing some of the best sonic recordings in the music industry back then. I don't mind at all either way, it's just my two cents, and my instinct, either way it doesn't take anything away from the song or make it more valid or anything :)

AHMAHGAWD! I mean, AHMAHGAAAAAAAAAAWD!

These songs are totally-holy-shitballs-amazing. Definitely didn't know what to expect but they are just typically and perfectly Michael. I'm stunned. And also definitely didn't think the demo's would be such good quality as the previous ones weren't too finished either.

I was afraid for crappy sounds, added beats and fake goat vocals but...none of that all! It's a miracle! Yay! :woohoo:

AHMAHGAWD! I mean, AHMAHGAAAAAAAAAAWD!

These songs are totally-holy-shitballs-amazing. Definitely didn't know what to expect but they are just typically and perfectly Michael. I'm stunned. And also definitely didn't think the demo's would be such good quality as the previous ones weren't too finished either.

I was afraid for crappy sounds, added beats and fake goat vocals but...none of that all! It's a miracle! Yay! :woohoo:

Your post made me :rofl:

Totally agree :D

Re: BAD 25 MJ Demo's Unreleased and unheard songs [Discussion thread]

Am I the only one who hears a kind of latin, Gloria Estefan's kinda rythm on Al Capone???

Wow, I can't believe you wrote almost the exact same comment here that I did on a MJ fb-group. :eek: This is what I posted there yesterday:

Hmm, for some reason I keep hearing this kind of Gloria Estefanish, latin vibe in the chorus of Al Capone. Oye!

At least someone else also hears what I hear, lol

Also, have something in common with Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody

I like both songs! It's great we finally get to listen to Al Capone, it definitely sounds like an earlier version of Smooth Criminal. Now I'm very interested in the Abortion Papers song!

I gotta say! When I first heard "Price Of Fame", I couldn't seem to stop smiling. I really love how this song is arranged. It also has this reggae sound to it. I epsecially love that bit of a solo that had there. Can't wait to hear the full version.

As for "Al Capone", man I love how 80's that song sounds! I can definately hear some of the elements that eventually went into "Smooth Criminal".

Bring on the full versions! Man, it's so close!

I would love to hear both of these songs released as singles! They deserve that recognition! :wild:

I found sounding of Al Capone very similar to Genesis sounding of Smooth Criminal

I found sounding of Al Capone very similar to Genesis sounding of Smooth Criminal

I must admit part of the instrumentation does remind me of old Sega Megadrive music, glad I'm not the only one

I'm looking forward to these songs:
WBSS (it sounds amazing in multitracks!)
IJCSLY
Jackson 5 Medley (especially I'll be there)
Rock with You
Smooth Criminal
Bad Groove Interlude
WDAN
Beat It
Billie Jean
Bad (especially the second part of the song)
MITM
and TWYMMF

all performances are amazing but these are my favourites :)

Me too including Thriller

I've managed to read all of these and not listen to any of the links. :)

I will always have a special place in my soul for SC. After all, tell me of another song that actually has Michael Jackson's heart beat in it.

I just added youtube stream of Don’t Be Messin’ Round (In full) , Price Of Fame and Al Capone to the Top Post

I think that rumour is true, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. As soon as i saw that song title i expected something similar to SC. :)

Yeah! Im postive that chicago 1945 was another demo/ inspiration for Smooth Criminal. Besides the title obviously suggesting so, the both songs were made with steve porcaro

Official Michael Jackson VEVO have uploaded APOM at Wembley. But it' been blocked in the UK for some reason.

Still dancing to Al Capone :dancing: :bounce::jump:

(I like it better than Smooth Criminal)

*hides*

Btw aren't we like 3 days away from the release and we still haven't seen any snippets on amazon, itunes, HMV etc etc..

I can't wait to hear the ones are

-"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
-"Heartbreak Hotel"
-"Smooth Criminal"
-"Dirty Diana"
-"Bad Groove Interlude"
-"Working Day And Night"
-"Billie Jean"
-"Bad"
-"Man In The Mirror"

No, that must be the extra on the DVD in the deluxe edition.

Serious? Ah man!! And the deluxe edition is that suitcase one right? The verrrrrry pricey one? It's only TWYMMF as bonus on the dvd?

Serious? Ah man!! And the deluxe edition is that suitcase one right? The verrrrrry pricey one? It's only TWYMMF as bonus on the dvd?

No, it's on the regular 3CD/DVD version, too (as a bonus) ;)

I can't wait to hear the ones are

-"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
-"Heartbreak Hotel"
-"Smooth Criminal"
-"Dirty Diana"
-"Bad Groove Interlude"
-"Working Day And Night"
-"Billie Jean"
-"Bad"
-"Man In The Mirror"

Me too! :woohoo:
kermit.gif

No, it's on the regular 3CD/DVD version, too (as a bonus) ;)

Hold on....so even though it doesn't say on the setlist..it's on there? Not that i don't believe you, but do you have a source? Cause only then i can really go 'heeellllsssss yeah' :D and my friends will no doubt ask me where i got that info from ;)

Hold on....so even though it doesn't say on the setlist..it's on there? Not that i don't believe you, but do you have a source? Cause only then i can really go 'heeellllsssss yeah' :D and my friends will no doubt ask me where i got that info from ;)

Well, it sure as hell better be on there, cuz this is what I ordered :D

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0084I9QI2/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

Back