What Did They Say About ELVIS (???)

So... should we be passive?

Is the passivity the right way of how not to notice that - some of the fans = individuals - are spreading throughout the Internet bullshits about Elvis and in the same way degrading Michael as the artist?

The key point is that there are several very visited news or tabloid web sites, and their discussions, and Elvis fans are degrading Michael claiming how huge Elvis was, how many records=albums he sold, ... and that in 10 or 20 years Michael Jackson will be Michael WHO, and Elvis known for ever as Elvis the KING?... in all connections with all the news and reports about Michael and his impact as the artist.
That has a huge "intellectual" impact and measure for non MJ fans, simply just the ordinary readers... reading something about Michael and Elvis... (look at yourself, dont you read something about Britney/Madonna..., what is you attitude towards her - based on what?)

Cant you see the point???

Not All MJ fans are so eager to stand up for Michael and keep his legacy, and thats the problem, they think that Michaels status is so stationary that "nothing" can change that and that he will not be forgotten???

For now, Michael is the KING of Pop, he sells, he dominates the charts, the Internet interest, but... after the This is It project, some merchandise stuff... and some new songs, ...what will be the next best thing to keep Michaels legacy on for next generations and decades?

Just being on a MJ fan board and lie to ourselves that Michael is the king of pop, the best selling artist of all time, the most successful artist... what about in 2020????

Prove that, get the motion real!

Its not about a personal attitude who sold more, or who is better in what..., its about the history and historical legacy, based on facts, not delusions of fans, Elvis or Michaels fans.

Your so right.

Staying on here and telling fans that MJ is #1 is great, but it doesn't cut it. We need to get the word out that MJ is #1. Now since he died more people are realizing how great he is.

But still we need to do more.

I want to paint MJ ins the most ACCURATE light I can. Saying he sold 750 million is not accurate. Saying thriller sold 100 million is not accurate.

It won't serve MJ's legacy its due justice if we quote inflated sales like that.

(partially) Huge..., but where are those albums on what lists of best sellers???
Here's Elvis' album charts history on Billboard. As KB50MJ has said, Moody Blue was the only one of his albums that charted on the regular Billboard 200 when he died.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=ELVIS|PRESLEY&sql=11:jifuxqr5ldhe~T5

If you think that is an accurate representation of Elvis' sales figures when he died take a look at MJ's album chart history......not one album on the charts when he died.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:kifuxqe5ldae~T5

I agree that this is ridiculous, but those statistics are ridiculous when it comes to Elvis also.

The Number of released albums doesnt equal huge selling...

Michael has sold only with 3 albums over 110 mill. pieces..., see the point?
As i said before, Elvis was never one to release one album and sell 40 million copies of it - he was one who would release 40 albums and sell one million copies of each one of them.

Here's Elvis' album charts history on Billboard. As KB50MJ has said, Moody Blue was the only one of his albums that charted on the regular Billboard 200 when he died.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=ELVIS|PRESLEY&sql=11:jifuxqr5ldhe~T5

If you think that is an accurate representation of Elvis' sales figures when he died take a look at MJ's album chart history......not one album on the charts when he died.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:kifuxqe5ldae~T5

I agree that this is ridiculous, but those statistics are ridiculous when it comes to Elvis also.

As i said before, Elvis was never one to release one album and sell 40 million copies of it - he was one who would release 40 albums and sell one million copies of each one of them.

The reason why MJ didn't chart was becuase of Billboards rules. But he still sold a lot.

but the point is, Elvis has over 400 titles. Do you think he can really keep up sales for all 400 titles?

Thats not possible.
No, of course not. But my point is that there is no Elvis equivalent of Thriller, Purple Rain, Born in the USA, Rumours or Dark Side of the Moon. When people go to the record shop to buy an Elvis album they usually don't go with the title of any particular album in mind, they just want to buy "a Elvis album" often settling for one of the countless greatest hits compilations. In a matter of speaking - Elvis never had a Thriller, but if most of his albums sold between, say, 500.000 and 1 million copies (with several compilations selling considerably more than that) those numbers add up and make for an impressive total number of albums sold.

The reason why MJ didn't chart was becuase of Billboards rules. But he still sold a lot.
Sure, but the same goes for Elvis. The idea that only Moody Blue was a best selling album when he died is ridiculous.

So... should we be passive?

Is the passivity the right way of how not to notice that?

I never said anyone needed to be passive, no. I actually said "More power to anyone who wants to help MJ sell more records or whatever. I'm not knocking anyone who wants to do that. Go for it!"

The key point is that there are several very visited news or tabloid web sites, and their discussions, and Elvis fans are degrading Michael claiming how huge Elvis was, how many records=albums he sold, ... and that in 10 or 20 years Michael Jackson will be Michael WHO, and Elvis known for ever as Elvis the KING?... in all connections with all the news and reports about Michael and his impact as the artist.
That has a huge "intellectual" impact and measure for non MJ fans, simply just the ordinary readers... reading something about Michael and Elvis... (look at yourself, dont you read something about Britney/Madonna..., what is you attitude towards her - based on what?)

Cant you see the point???

I actually don't read about Britney or Madonna. I don't follow their careers or their lives. So my attitude about them is pretty much indifference. But as for Michael and Elvis (or Michael vs. Elvis, as the case may be), and the possibility that SOME Elvis fans are saying that in 10 or 20 years Michael will be "Michael WHO?," I actually think that is absurd. Do you realize that when Elvis died over 30 years ago, people also said that same thing about him? Yet he makes more money in death than he ever did in life. I don't believe for one second that Michael or his legacy will be a casualty of time, nor lost to some sort of musical or historical oblivion...anymore than I believed that about Elvis when he died.

Just being on a MJ fan board and lie to ourselves that Michael is the king of pop, the best selling artist of all time, the most successful artist... what about in 2020????

Prove that, get the motion real!

Its not about a personal attitude who sold more, or who is better in what..., its about the history and historical legacy, based on facts, not delusions of fans, Elvis or Michaels fans.

I truly respect and admire your devotion to the preservation and perpetuation of Michael's legacy, and I applaud you for it. But just because I don't have the same burning desire to "get the motion real," doesn't mean I'm lying to myself or full of any sort of delusions about him. I don't consider it my inherent obligation to ensure his historical legacy. If you do consider it yours, again, that's wonderful, and I applaud you for it. I personally consider it my only obligation to be a good wife, mother, daughter, and friend, and to fulfill my obligations to my family. And I really don't think Michael would fault me for that. I love his music, and I will continue to buy it. And I will root on any MJ fan who is determined to keep his musical legacy alive, because I do believe it's a wonderful goal to have and it is an amazing way to honor his memory.

My only request in any of this was to please just not lump all Elvis fans together as wanting to destroy or mar Michael's legacy. Because not all Elvis fans are trying to do that.

My only request in any of this was to please just not lump all Elvis fans together as wanting to destroy or mar Michael's legacy. Because not all Elvis fans are trying to do that.
MJ's legacy won't depend on what Elvis fans make of it and Elvis' legacy won't depend on what MJ fans think of it either. Fans are too obsessed with chart statistics and sales figures anyway. If 100 years from now people still listen to MJ, Elvis or whoever else it will be because it will be judged to be great music from an artistic perspective, not because they sold lots of records a century earlier.

Look at what these Elvis fans are saying now. This made me SO angry:

[quoted]**** Pan didn't have a social impact

he had an impact within the music industry in that he solidified the need for music videos for artists to promote their video

**** Pan followed on the heels of Olivia Newton-John's Physical tv video special in 1980 where she did a video for each track rather than tour to promote the album.

and Duran Duran in 1980 with Girls on Film from the album Duran Duran and 81's Rio - Hungry Like the Wolf and other videos that raised the bar

he didn't change society at all, he didn't open doors for anyone - he stood on the shoulders of earlier black artists

and then spat on them by turning himself white

he copied Bob Geldolf's Band Aid

and his fashion sense was PT Barnum blended with Liberace

he mired himself in scandal and then withdrew from the world, emerging only to create more scandal or do astonishing acts of megolomania on a scale never before achieved [/QUOTE]

Look at what these Elvis fans are saying now. This made me SO angry:

[quoted]**** Pan didn't have a social impact

he had an impact within the music industry in that he solidified the need for music videos for artists to promote their video

**** Pan followed on the heels of Olivia Newton-John's Physical tv video special in 1980 where she did a video for each track rather than tour to promote the album.

and Duran Duran in 1980 with Girls on Film from the album Duran Duran and 81's Rio - Hungry Like the Wolf and other videos that raised the bar

he didn't change society at all, he didn't open doors for anyone - he stood on the shoulders of earlier black artists

and then spat on them by turning himself white

he copied Bob Geldolf's Band Aid

and his fashion sense was PT Barnum blended with Liberace

he mired himself in scandal and then withdrew from the world, emerging only to create more scandal or do astonishing acts of megolomania on a scale never before achieved
The fact alone that they are so intent on demeaning MJ tells you that they think he's important. If not they would focus on whoever else they think is the main threat to the position their guy is holding. Funniest remark is the one about MJ standing on the shoulders of earlier black artists. I mean, really - Presley's own most important influences were black artists. If he tried to be Bing Crosby he failed miserably anyway. Besides, EVERY artist is standing on the shoulders of those that came before him. Music isn't born in a vacuum and everyone is influenced by others. There's nothing wrong with that. It's all about doing your own thing with those influences and coming up with something unique or at the very least authentic as a result. Elvis fans better keep quiet about fashion sense. His Elvis as superman jumpsuits with matching capes from his Vegas years look far more like Liberace than anything MJ ever wore.

The fact alone that they are so intent on demeaning MJ tells you that they think he's important. If not they would focus on whoever else they think is the main threat to the position their guy is holding. Funniest remark is the one about MJ standing on the shoulders of earlier black artists. I mean, really - Presley's own most important influences were black artists. If he tried to be Bing Crosby he failed miserably anyway. Besides, EVERY artist is standing on the shoulders of those that came before him. Music isn't born in a vacuum and everyone is influenced by others. There's nothing wrong with that. It's all about doing your own thing with those influences and coming up with something unique or at the very least authentic as a result. Elvis fans better keep quiet about fashion sense. His Elvis as superman jumpsuits with matching capes from his Vegas years look far more like Liberace than anything MJ ever wore.

So right.

EVERYONE realizes MJ's impact on society.

They are just making incorrect claims to bash MJ becuase their insecurity on me being there "ruining" this forum.

Their claims are baseless and downright funny to people who know MJ's history.

This really doesn't bother me one bit. Because MJ's impact is know by millions, possibly billions all around the world.

And there isn't a thing they can say in anger thats going to change that.

... so we have to "rise" to keep MJs legacy on, not only chatting about this on fan boards....

As I said, Elvis fans are mobilizing to support Elvis now more then ever before!!!

The first step is adding comments on news and tabloid web pages in connections woth articles about Michael and Elvis...

Then buying the official staff, records, books, ....

Elvis is nothing compared to Michael.

Legacy wise and talent wise.

Elvis is just huge because of american propaganda.

What's similar about MJ and Elvis are their fan communities. You could substitute "MJ" for "Elvis" on either forum when discussing the other artist, and it's the same statements: "(Blank) didn't open any doors or innovate anything. (Blank) went downhill. (Blank) just did what black artists did before him. (Blank) dressed funny. (Blank) could never sell that many records. People won't be talking about (Blank) in 100 years."

I think it's safe to say that both Michael and Elvis made an impact on popular music and culture, that both sold a ton of records, and that each will be talked about after we're long gone. Personally I'd vote for MJ in having way more talent and the true global king, but I'm posting at the MJJC, so of course I'm a little biased ;)

Elvis is nothing compared to Michael.

Elvis is just huge because of american propaganda.

Well, this is it!

BUT... MJs fans are doing nothing (almost everything is frivolous, based on the "news wave", especially with those fans who are downloading illegally), and the only propaganda is from the American tabloid crap!

Thats the huge difference!

Elvis fans are active, and now, after MJs passing more then ever before, they have always been very active, they have so many projects, merchandise stuff, they are united.... (MJs fans are divided into several direction, there are some that dont accept anything negative, there are some that are too biased against the others opinion about Michael as a person and his personal matters... and so on...)

I alert you!

There will be more and more lies about Michael, and more boosting false info about Elvis

Last edited:
Your so right.

Staying on here and telling fans that MJ is #1 is great, but it doesn't cut it. We need to get the word out that MJ is #1. Now since he died more people are realizing how great he is.

But still we need to do more.

I want to paint MJ ins the most ACCURATE light I can. Saying he sold 750 million is not accurate. Saying thriller sold 100 million is not accurate.

It won't serve MJ's legacy its due justice if we quote inflated sales like that.

The sales are NOT inflated. I don't know why MJ's own fans like to defame him of what he has achieved. Thriller has indeed sold over 100 million UNITS. This has been confirmed by Sony themselves in August 2009. Thriller has sold 65 million actual albums, 20 million singles, 10 million digital downloads, Well over 10 million music video downloads on I-tunes, plus many other units have been sold through the sale of the making of Thriller. Even without the latter, that is still over 105 million units sold of JUST Thriller.

Michael Jackson has sold 350 million ALBUMS as a solo artist, 450 million including Jackson 5, and 750 MILLION units (albums, singles, digital downloads, VHS, DVD sales, etc).

It's not inflation, its reality, please stop the undermining of MJ's legacy.

^^^^How does anyone know how much the Jackson 5 sold since during the 1960s and 70s Motown never reported sales to the RIAA? They did this as to avoid paying much in royalties to their acts. Which is one of the reasons a lot of their classic era acts like Mary Wells and Gladys Knight & The Pips left. On the Motown 25 special, a majority of the performers were no longer on the label

The sales are NOT inflated. I don't know why MJ's own fans like to defame him of what he has achieved. Thriller has indeed sold over 100 million UNITS. This has been confirmed by Sony themselves in August 2009. Thriller has sold 65 million actual albums, 20 million singles, 10 million digital downloads, Well over 10 million music video downloads on I-tunes, plus many other units have been sold through the sale of the making of Thriller. Even without the latter, that is still over 105 million units sold of JUST Thriller.

Michael Jackson has sold 350 million ALBUMS as a solo artist, 450 million including Jackson 5, and 750 MILLION units (albums, singles, digital downloads, VHS, DVD sales, etc).

It's not inflation, its reality, please stop the undermining of MJ's legacy.

dude. I totally get what you are saying. But People misinterpret things. They think Thriller album ALONE sold 100 million. MJ sold 750 million albums and singles and so on.

But I understand what you are saying.

Trust me. I want to believe everything you just said. I really do. And its probably right.

But when you say sales for Thriller's singles sold 20 million you mean in physical singles and downloads right?

And how did MJ sell 350 million ALBUMS only?

I only count 237 million albums(before death) and about 98 million singles(before death).

Honestly, how can Elvis be compared with MJ?! It astonishes me that someone would even think about that. MJ is CLEARLY the most talented and by far whether you love E or MJ. Facts are facts. MJ is the ultimate package. He sings, dances, composes, beatboxes, and even draws for god's sake. He is number one and he has been denied his rightful throne that he earned talent wise, creativity wise and achievement wise. Elvis, and everyone for that matter, never had MJ's impact on the world, his talent, nor did he match his astounding achievements.

Michael Jackson's death ranks low compared to President Kennedy, Rev. King
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090919/NEWS/90919019/-1/SPORTS12

m0920pollvintage.jpg

Wow. They poll about 800 people in Iowa. And call that an official poll.

Please. I want to see a WORLDWIDE poll about this and see who's #1.

Thanks for the link.

yes, and again, I want to stress that (only) American polls are mostly considered as something - "worldwide", representing the whole world, which is total nonsense!!!

There are Europe+Russia, Asia (India, China...), North America, Africa..., but hey..., show that Elvis fans... :tease:

Anyway..., is there something new from E fans, a new article or discussion thread?

http://www.elvisunlimited.com/frontpage/elvis_history/what_did_they_say_about_elvis/

Cliff Richard
I owe Elvis my career, and the entire music business owes him it's lifeline.

Frank Sinatra
(1977) There have been many accolades uttered about Elvis' talent and performances through the years, all of which I agree with wholeheartedly. I shall miss him dearly as a friend. He was a warm, considerate and generous man

John Landau (Review of Elvis 1968 TV Special)
"There is something magical about watching a man who has lost himself find his way back home...He sang with the kind of power people no longer expect from rock ‘n' roll singers."

Bill Clinton
You know, Bush is always comparing me to Elvis in sort of unflattering ways. I don't think Bush would have liked Elvis very much, and that's just another thing that's wrong with him.

Bob Dylan
When I first heard Elvis' voice I just knew that I wasn't going to work for anybody; and nobody was going to be my boss...Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail.
The highlight of my career? That's easy, Elvis recording one of my songs

Garth Brooks
I'm sitting in the drive-through and I've got my three girls in the back and this station comes on and it's playing "Jailhouse Rock," the original version, and my girls are jumping up and down, going nuts. I'm looking around at them and they've heard Dad's music all the time and I don't see that out of them

Cher
The first concert I attended was an Elvis concert when I was eleven. Even at that age he made me realize the tremendous effect a performer could have on an audience

Britney Spears
I think Elvis is the sexiest man to ever walk the earth, I love him.

Shania Twain
You want me to Describe Elvis, WOW!

Natalie Wood
'Every morning when I woke up and looked out the window, there were at least two hundred kids lined up on the sidewalk outside, staring at the house. Some of them would stay there all day long, just trying to get a glimpse of him. And when he would go out, he was very sweet to them. A lot of people I know would get angry, or impatient - but Elvis is very sweet to the kids, very nice to them. He always spend as much time with them as he can, even though it tires him out'

Bo Diddley
'If Presley copied me, I don't care. More power to him. I'm not starving'

Jim Morrison
Elvis is the best ever, the most original. He started the ball rolling for us all. He deserves the recognition.

Janice Joplin
Elvis is my man!

Glen Campbell
'It was just incredible in Vegas. I was kidding him. He introduced me and said, "Campbell, I understand you're doing an imitation of me. I just want you to know it will always be an imitation." And I said, "I'm not going to do it no more, I got to gain some weight first." He laughed and the audience went, "Ooh, hey, boo." I said, "Can't you take a joke?" And Elvis said, "Well, when you're down here next, I'm coming down and I'm gonna sit in the front row and read the newspaper and heckle." The audience laughed and I said, "Elvis, if I'm singing as good as you are, I won't care."'

Sammy Davis Jr.
'There was something just bordering on rudeness about Elvis. He never actually did anything rude, but he always seemed as if he was just going to. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate him eleven.'

George Bush
'You Memphis politicians had better watch out if Elvis Presley ever decides to enter politics.'

Margaret Thatcher (Former British Prime Minister)
I love his music because he was my generation. But then again, Elvis is everyones generation, and he always will be.

Ronald Reagan
He epitomised America, and for that we shall be eternally greatful. There will never be anyone else like him. Let's all rejoice in his music

Jimmy Carter
'Elvis Presley's death deprives our country of a part of itself. His music and his personality, fusing the styles of white country and black rhythm and blues, permanently changed the face of American popular culture. His following was immense and he was a symbol to the people the world over of the vitality, rebelliousness and good humour of this country. He burst upon the scene more than twenty years ago with an impact that was unprecedented and will probably never be equaled.'

Bruce Springsteen
'He was as big as the whole country itself, as big as the whole dream. He just embodied the essence of it and he was in mortal combat with the thing. Nothing will ever take the place of that guy. It was like he came along and whispered some dream in everybody's ear, and somehow we all dreamed it. There have been a lotta tough guys.
He had more talent in his toe nail than most, if not all, of todays so called stars.
There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king."

Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)
No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme.

Ursula Andress
'He's a very well-mannered and sensitive person - just like me.'

Chuck Berry
Blacks didn't have the air-waves Elvis had. He delivered what he obtained beautifully.
There just ain't no words to describe him. Elvis was the greatest who ever was, is or ever will be.

Little Richard
Elvis was God-given, there's no other explination. A Messiah comes around every few thousand years, and Elvis was it this time.
'He was an integrator, Elvis was a blessing. They wouldn't let black music through. He opened the door for black music.'

Chet Atkins
'He was white, but he sang black. It wasn't socially acceptable for white kids to buy black records at the time. Elvis filled a void.'

Joe Cocker
'Elvis is the greatest blues singer in the world today.'

Pat Boone
'There's no way to measure his impact on society or the void that he leaves. He will always be the King of rock 'n' roll.'

Rod Stewart
'People like myself, Mick Jagger and the others only really followed in his footsteps.'

Bing Crosby
'What he did was a part of history.'

Buddy Holly
'None of us could have made it without Elvis.'

Mark Knopfler
'Elvis Presley was a beautiful young person, right, whose recordings were just colossally great. But basically the best stuff he ever did was on the Sun record label. And then he got involved with Colonel Parker and went to RCA and then went the Hollywood way. The whole thing became completely ruined.'

Carl Perkins
'Even back then, when people would laugh at his sideburns and his pink coat and call him 'cissy' - he had a pretty hard road to go. In some areas motorcycle gangs would come to the shows. They would come to get Elvis, but he never worried about it. He went right out and did his thing and before the show was over, they were standing in line to get his autograph too.'

Mary Tyler Moore
'I thought anyone who had been the center of all that insanity for so long would have some of it rub off on him. But, after working in Change of habit with him, I realised I'd never worked with a more gentlemanly, kinder man. He's gorgeous.'

Mick Fleetwood
'I was a real little toddler when I first heard 'Hound dog'. I learned to play drums listening to him - beating on tin cans to his records. I'm sure his measurable effect on culture and music was even greater in England than in the States. People there are still really, really fanatical about Elvis. The news came over like a ton of bricks. I was driving back from the mountains and I had the radio on. They were playing an Elvis medley and I thought "Great". And then they came back with the news.'

BB King
I remember Elvis as a young man hanging around the Sun studios. Even then, I knew this kid had a tremendous talent. He was a dynamic young boy. His phraseology, his way of looking at a song, was as unique as Sinatra's. I was a tremendous fan, and had Elvis lived, there would have been no end to his inventiveness.

Jimmy Saville
'God must have been impatient for some rock'n'roll in heaven.'

Paul Simon
'The first time I heard his music, back in '54 or '55, I was in a car and I heard the announcer say, "Here's a guy who, when he appears on stage in the South, the girls scream and rush the stage". Then he played 'That's all right, mama'. I thought his name was about the weirdest I'd ever heard. I thought for sure he was a Black guy. Later on I grew my hair like him, imitated his stage act - once I went all over New York looking for a lavender shirt like the one he wore on one of his albums. I felt wonderful when he sang 'Bridge over troubled water', even though it was a touch on the dramatic side - but so was the song. When I first heard Elvis perform "Bridge Over Trouble Water" It was unbelivable,and I thought to myself, how the hell can I compete with that?"

Liberace
A truly good man who never forgot his friends or his fans.'

Paul McCartney
'It was a real thrill sitting there with the King. I mean he was always one of my favourites. I always knew that no matter how I felt, if I played an Elvis record it would make me happy. I've always dreamed of producing an album for Elvis.'

John Lennon
'There's only one person in the United States that we have ever wanted to meet.... not that he wanted to meet us. And we met him last night. We can't tell you how we felt. We just idolized him so much. When we first came to town, these guys like Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra and all these people wanted to come over and hang around with us at night simply because we had all the women, all the chicks. We don't want to meet those people. They don't really like us. We don't really admire or like them. The only person that we wanted to meet in the United States of America was Elvis Presley. We can't tell you what a thrill that was last night.'
'Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been an Elvis, there wouldn't have been the Beatles.'

Before Elvis there was nothing

All awesome quotes. America's been blessed with both Elvis and MJ. I'm a huge fan of both.

Wow. They poll about 800 people in Iowa. And call that an official poll.

Please. I want to see a WORLDWIDE poll about this and see who's #1.

Thanks for the link.

That poll was meant to show the opinions of Iowa citizens--not worldwide. Absolutely no where in the article is the poll presented as a worldwide poll.

Last edited:
There has been this ever-going debate over Elvis selling a billion records. Well, official data proves otherwise.

Lets take a look at Wikipedia's numbers.

US: 176.6 million
UK: 4.8 million
GER: 1.5 million
FRA: 2.4 million
CAN: 2.7 million
AUS: 1 million
NLD: 520,000
Total available certified sales: 189.5 million

Obviously if Elvis sold a billion records then his sales should be A LOT higher than these.

Considering the fact that the US counts for 60% of his sales. And the UK 10%. lol

70% and he only has 181.4 million sold. Its hard to believe his sales go anywhere higher than 300 million. Let alone a billion.

BUT Wikipedia is not all that reliable to begin with.

Now lets do a more comprehensive and in-depth look into Elvis' album sales.

I counted 187 million in albums sales for Elvis. Now some might claim that I'm crazy and that Elvis is way higher than that.

Well. Not according to the data.

NOTE: The Following has been translated from french to English.

Elvis Presley, Always One Our Mind! Image IPB All d' access sales of its albums studios in the USA. The presentation is as follows: Number of l' album in its discography. Date d' entry in the classification Position 1 ière - 2nd week Better Position classified Weeks Weeks Signal 10 Position the U.K. Name of l' album - Advance of the sales in time.

> Current SALES.
----------
Quotation

Elvis US albums, one by one

Studio Albums

(Date/First week, 2nd week, peak, weeks charted, weeks top 10)

1. 31/03/56 11- 3 1 48 43 - Elvis Presley [10w.#1]
- 300.000 in 1956.
- 700.000 by November 1966.
- Scanned 40k, sales average of 2.7k per year. Certified 40 years ago, adding extra sales from his death, 900.000 copies sold.

Note : This is his strongest catalog selling studio album, all the following albums have lower average sales.

2. 10/11/56 13- 7 1 26 24 - Elvis [5w.#1]
- 700.000 by Feb 1960, 46 years ago. As well as the first, likely to be a strong catalog seller for a studio album, 900.000 copies sold.

3. 22/07/57 11- 1 1 28 19 24 Loving You [10w.#1]
- 650.000 by April 1968.
> 800.000

4. 15/09/58 11- 4 2 15 11 3 King Creole
- 500.000 by July 1999.
> 510.000

5. 23/03/59 20- 19 19 4 0 - For LP Fans Only
Never certified, very poor chart performances considering the year of his release his sales must be low. It has not even 5% of the success of "Elvis Presley".
> 50.000

6. 21/09/59 39- 39 32 7 0 4 A Date With Elvis
> 60.000

7. 09/05/60 35- 4 2 27 20 1 Elvis Is Back
- 500.000 by July 1999.
> 520.000

8. 31/10/60 6- 4 1 106 28 1 G.I. Blues [9w.#1]
- 500.000 by March 1963.(RIAA)
- 1.000.000 by March 1992.(RIAA)
- 750.000 in 2 months.(claim)
- 1.200.000 by mid-1964.(claim)
> 1.300.000

9. 10/07/61 139- 98 1 25 9 2 Something For Everybody [3w.#1]
- 500.000 by July 1999.
> 520.000

10. 23/10/61 75- 10 1 79 39 1 Blue Hawaii [20w.#1]
- 500.000 by end 1961.
- 2.000.000 by March 1992.
- 3.000.000 by July 2002.
- 336.000 1991-2006.
> 3.100.000

11. 14/07/62 116- 57 4 31 9 1 Pot Luck
> 350.000

12. 08/12/62 27- 7 3 32 12 2 Girls! Girls! Girls!
- 500.000 by Aug 1963.
> 600.000

13. 20/04/63 90- 12 4 26 8 4 It Happened At The World's Fair
Not certified, those 3 albums (11,12,13) have almost the same run, the 12 has strongly benefit of Christmas sales.
> 350.000

14. 21/12/63 63- 41 3 24 7 15 Fun In Acapulco
> 400.000

15. 11/04/64 96- 23 6 30 5 5 Kissin' Cousins
> 350.000

16. 14/11/64 100- 47 1 27 12 12 Roustabout [1w.#1]
- 500.000 by May 1988.
> 540.000

17. Tickle Me was a totaly anoymous LP, not a real album, that's why it was not even charted while usualy at this time all his albums were top 10 in his name alone. Some collectors should have it.
> 10.000

18. 17/04/65 140- 82 8 31 6 7 Girl Happy
- 500.000 by July 1999.
> 510.000

19. 14/08/65 149-102 10 27 1 8 Elvis For Everyone
> 300.000

20. 13/11/65 122- 94 8 23 4 11 Harem Scarum
> 350.000

21. 16/07/66 132-117 15 19 0 7 Paradise Hawaiian Style
> 250.000

22. 29/10/66 135- 91 18 32 0 - Spinout
> 250.000

23. 24/06/67 179-161 47 20 0 34 Double Trouble
> 150.000

24. 02/12/67 188-102 40 14 0 39 Clambake
> 150.000

25. 06/07/68 193-174 82 13 0 - Speedway [OST}
> 100.000

26. 14/06/69 29- 18 13 34 0 1 From Elvis In Memphis
- 500.000 by Jan 1970.
> 700.000

27. 29/11/69 36- 16 12 24 0 3 From Memphis To Vegas - From Vegas To Memphis
- 500.000 by Dec 1969.
> 800.000

28. 21/11/70 194-189 183 3 0 - Back In Memphis
> 100.000

29. 12/12/70 63- 37 21 23 0 15 That's The Way It Is
- 500.000 by June 1973.
> 550.000

30. 26/06/71 40- 35 33 15 0 7 Love Letters From Elvis
> 250.000

31. 12/02/72 175- 91 43 19 0 12 Elvis Now
- 500.000 by March 1992.
> 600.000 copies sold.

32. 21/07/73 130- 74 52 13 0 16 Elvis [1973]
> 150.000

33. 24/11/73 176-159 50 13 0 - Raised On Rock
> 150.000

34. U.S. Male
Charted nowhere.
> 10.000

35. 06/04/74 125-108 90 8 0 42 Good Times
> 100.000

36. 01/02/75 102- 84 47 12 0 21 Promised Land
> 150.000

37. 07/06/75 129-116 57 13 0 48 Today
> 150.000

38. 16/04/77 100- 90 44 11 0 7 Welcome To My World
- 500.000 by Sept 1977.
- 1.000.000 by Jan 1983.
> 1.200.000

39. 23/07/77 58- 40 3 31 8 3 Moody Blue
- 500.000 by Sept 1977.
> 2.100.000

40. 05/08/78 187-170 130 11 0 - Elvis Sings For Children And Grownups Too
> 100.000

A total of 20.430.000 studio albums sold. This figure is supposing that certifications were “just” achieved when they were received, which is very likely to be true for recent certifications, but not at all sur for older awards. Despite this, we can think safely that Elvis sold 21.5-23m studio albums in USA, not counting Live, Gospel, Christmas and Compilations albums.

The sum of these sales is of 20.430.000 sold albums studio. These figures suppose that certification has be obtained just with moment when the threshold of sale was exceeded, which must be true for the certified albums most recently, less truth for the others. In spite of that, one can say without taking too much of qu' risk; Elvis sold 21.5-23m d' albums studio in the USA, without counting its albums Live, Gospel, of Christmas, and his best off.

Here from now on its Gospel albums which contrary to its albums studios continue to be still sold aujourd' today:
----------
Quotation

Gospel Albums

1. 09/01/61 22- 14 13 20 0 3 His Hand In Mine
- 500.000 by April 1969.
- 1.000.000 by March 1992.
- A don't know if Gospel albums are counted as studio albums, I think that they are, which mean that they sold less than 40k since 1991. Those Gospel albums were very strong catalog sellers, but in the last 20 years tons of compilations have been released as you will see later in this post, so their catalog sales have drop a lot. But this album was certified in the first wave of certifications, by March 1992, so it was surely not at "just" 1m.
> 1.300.000 copies sold.

2. 23/04/66 103- 80 20 19 0 11 Frankie And Johnny
- 350.000 by late 1966.
- 1.000.000 by Jan 2004.
> 1.050.000 copies sold.

3. 25/03/67 147-132 18 29 0 11 How Great Thou Art
- 500.000 by Feb 1968.
Easily the strongest catalog seller of the Gospel Studio Albums of Elvis with You'll Never Walk Alone thanks to the fact that it achieves a Grammy Award, the first of Elvis.
> 2.300.000 copies sold.

4. 21/11/70 128-122 65 18 0 37 Almost In Love
- 1.000.000 by Jan 2004.
> 1.050.000 copies sold.

5. 23/01/71 143- 23 12 21 0 - Elvis Country
- 500.000 by Dec 1977.
This one is as many a country album as a Gospel albums. His catalog sales are not as great as the others. It was certified after the hype of his dead.
> 800.000 copies sold.

6. 20/03/71 190- 87 69 12 0 47 You'll Never Walk Alone
- 500.000 by March 1992.
- 1.000.000 by July 1999.
- 3.000.000 by Jan 2004.
Very strange certifications for this album.
> 3.100.000 copies sold.

7. 22/04/72 122- 87 79 10 0 38 He Touched Me
- 500.000 by March 1992.
> 1.200.000 copies sold.

8. 1994 : Amazing Grace, His Greatest Sacred Songs (2CD)
It is supposed to have sold 1m copies in 5 years, 200k per year, 4k per week without never reached any Billboard chart, very strange again. It sold surely strongly throught Music Clubs, it was maybe even released only throught Clubs. Until 2000 it was the definite Gospel Compilation of Elvis, his sales have drop since the release of "Peace In The Valley: The Complete Gospel Recordings".
> 1.300.000 copies sold.

9. 1998 : The Elvis Presley Collection, Gospel (2CD)
- 250.000 by Feb 2000.
The same as the previous album.
> 350.000 copies sold.

Others Gospel released :
1989 : Known Only To Him, Elvis Gospel 1957-1971
1990 : The Definite Gospel Album
1999 : Gospel Favourites
1999 : He Touched Me, The Gospel Music Of Elvis
2000 : Take My Hand : Gospel Favourites
2000 : Elvis Gospel
2000 : Peace In The Valley: The Complete Gospel Recordings (3CD)
2001 : He Is My Everything, The Gospel Series
2001 : It Is No Secret, The Gospel Series
2001 : Nearer My God To Thee, The Gospel Series
2004 : Ultimate Gospel

All them have never been charted and any of them have received a certification, they are off the radar. Some of them have surely achieve decent sales.

Total of 13.45m Gospel albums sold. Adding the other albums, we can estimate his total sales of Gospel albums in USA at 14-15m.

The first list with all the details are the albums classified and/or certified. The second corresponds to those which passed unperceived, which was never classified in the signal 200 and which n' were ever certified. The first list cumulated represents 13.45 d' million; sold albums. With the others, one can say qu' it sold 14-15m d' Gospel albums in the USA.

Here from now on its albums of Christmas which are not sold at all during l' year but whose sales explode in each Christmas.

Christmas Albums

1. 02/12/57 23- 3 1 7 6 7 Elvis' Christmas Album [4w.#1]
- 500.000 by Aug 1963.
- 9.000.000 by Jan 2004.
- Scanned 1.02m, it was selling a great deal anualy but since the release of several other Christmas albums his sales dropped a lot since a decade. His last apparence in the catalog chart was in 1997. It was certified in 1999 for sales of 6m and 3m for the "new" version and the original version, the 9m award was certainly the cum of both. So even if it sold poorly in the last years, it sold over 9m since 7 years and not since 2004.
> 9.200.000 copies sold.

2. 1971 : Elvis Sings The Wonderful World Of Chrismas was a #1 album.
- 1.000.000 by Dec 1977.
- 2.000.000 by May 1988.
- 3.000.000 by July 1999.
- It never appeared in the catalog chart even in Christmas time. As well as "Elvis Christmas Album" his sales have been canabilized by his more recent Christmas albums.
> 3.100.000 copies sold.

3. 1982 : Memories Of Christmas. Charted #48 of the country chart in 1983.
- 500.000 by Dec 1991.
Never charted in the catalog chart.
> 600.000 copies sold.

4. 1992 : Blue Christmas. Charted #19 of the Catalog Chart in 1993, never appeared anymore since this year.
- 500.000 by July 1999.
> 550.000 copies sold.

5. 94. 03/12/94 195-146 94 6 0 - If Every Day Was Like Christmas
Was charted every holidays time until 1998 in the catalog chart, not charted anymore since this year.
- 500.000 by July 1999.
- 1.000.000 by July 2002.
> 1.200.000 copies sold.

6. 103. 06/12/03 120-107 107 4 0 - It's Christmas Time
Released firstly in 1999, his actual soundscan figure of 0.8m is very likely to be the figure of the last edition only. It is selling strongly each year, charted top 15 of the catalog chart in the Christmas period of the last 5 years.
- 1.000.000 by July 2002.
- 2.000.000 by Dec 2005.
> 2.000.000 copies sold.

7. 20/12/03 162- 0 162 1 0 - White Christmas
Released in 2000. Charted in the catalog chart of 4 consecutive years. Not certified Gold yet.
> 450.000 copies sold.

Other Christmas released :
1982 : Elvis Christmas Classics
1982 : It Won’t Seem Like Christmas Without You
1985 : Merry Christmas
1987 : I Wish You A Merry Christmas
1991 : Christmas Favorites

All them have never been charted and any of them have received a certification, they are off the radar.

Total of 17.1m Christmas albums sold. Adding the other albums, we can estimate his total sales of Christmas albums in USA at 18m.

Idem about the two lists. The first represents 17.1 d' million; sold albums. With the others, its sales d' albums of Christmas in the USA s' raise to 18 million copies.

Back