What do OTHERS think of Michael?

Every single person in my entire family has all hated my beloved Michael. 3 people in my family comes to my mind right now.

My marriage by only cousin who I thought was the only MJ fan in my family besides me. Turn out after the 93 allegations came out about him. She became one of the most biggest MJ haters you could ever want to meet. When this was the same exact person an year before show me her Dangerous Bucharest concert that she had taped. Because she knew how badly I had wanted to see that concert. Since I didn't have the HBO channel. After those allegations came out instead of her giving me her MJ items. She threw them all out. She hated the thought that I was still a fan of his even after those allegations. Well unlike her I had refused to believe those allegations about him. And I had always thought once an MJ fan always an MJ fan. I was so very wrong about that.

Another MJ hater in my family is my brother. I remember this one Easter over 10 years ago. I was sitting at my mother's dinning room table quietly eating my Easter dinner. When my brother called my Michael a child molesting freak. OMG was I ever so very angry when he called my Michael that. Me and my brother spent the next 5 minutes or so fighting. Our mother tried to get us to stop. But I turn to her and I very coldly told her to shut the hell up. You are no better than he is. The look she saw on my face made her back off. So she knew better to mess with me when it came to Michael Jackson. And me and my brother went back to our fighting. The fighting stopped with me storming off. I had to because I would have very likely would have done something to him. That I would have regret doing later on.

As for my mother she might come off saying that she likes him and stuff. But I really don't consider her a MJ fan. Not when she had said so many nasty things about him in the past. A true MJ fan does not do that. Like I remember just 2 days after it had happen with Michael. I had spent the entire Saturday in bed just trying so very hard to forget what had happen to him. It was around 7:30 that night my mother came in to my room wanting to know what I had wanted for supper. So she could go and order it. Well eating was the very last thing in the world I had wanted to do. But just to get rid of her I told her the first thing that came to my mind which was spinach pizza. So I thought that would get rid of her. So she could just leave me alone. But it didn't she suddenly wanted to talk about Michael and what had happen to him. When I had try so very hard to forget. Well what she did was she made fun of what had happen to him right in front of me. She said that she wasn't. But that wasn't the way I had taken it. And I finally very coldly order her out of my room. And not only did she do that later on that horrible summer. She totally defended that evil nameless monster that did what he did to him. It is those reasons why I don't consider my mother an MJ fan. I am still angry at her for liking the song Stranger In Moscow. When that song was something I had always consider sacred to me.

And as for friends that is something I never had where I live. It is because of the fact that I am a MJ fan in the first place. Is why I don't have any friends in the first place. It all has to do with the 93 allegations that came out about him. I remember back during my high school days during the HIStory Era. In my high school I was the only MJ fan in a school full of haters. I was teased and made fun of by the other kids. For liking someone like Michael Jackson. I try to not let it bother me. By them teasing and making fun of me for being an MJ fan. Well I let those MJ hating kids have their little fun with me for the next 2 years. It wasn't until my last 2 years in high did I finally fought back at them. That was when I finally became an attack dog. Defending it's owner's property. I remember back during my senior year I nearly put a girl in the hospital for making fun of my beloved Michael. I didn't mind the teasing and the name calling with the other kids for me being an MJ fan. But when you start making fun of my Michael. You seriously did not want to mess with me. Or you will suffer the consequences. And the funny thing when I was a senior in high school. I had never gotten in to any kind of trouble for doing that. For some reason at the time the seniors in my high school could not be touch. I am sure it has since change then. Since this going back 15 years or so ago.

Hi although I'm very sad for the bullying you endured over Michael I could never nearly put someone in hospital defending him. I have never physically attacked anyone like that in my entire life. I endured racist taunts about Michael and of course it got much much worse after 93.
My Dad makes horrible sarcastic remarks if MJ is mentioned but my mum likes and defends him.

I really can't stand people bad mouthing Michael either.

I would say that in regard to other peoples' opinion's of Michael, I find that it usually falls into categories:

The people who absolutely hate Michael for no good reason, and just believe the utter nonsense the tabloids have spread around

The people who make fun of Michael and throw mean comments around even though they know nothing about him

The people who simply aren't interested in Michael, his type of music is just not their thing

The people who say things like 'I like the dancing and the music but...' and view Michael the person as some kind of monster the tabloids have portrayed him to be

The people who know only his most popular hits and like the things they know about him

The true fans

^^ Yes basically and at my school you find 1,4 and 5 out of that list. My 'friends' (classmates, more like it) KNOW I LOVE the man but I swear to you they don't know to what extent :lol: Either way, a lot of them have made comments on how they like his music and how awesome it is but have also made reaaally stupid, ignorant comments about him as a person and appearance. For instance, this girl that's in my class always has to say something related to another artist (mostly Beyoncé :puke:) to disguise her 'compliments' towards Michael... like she once mentioned something about 'I Wanna Be Where You Are' and I went 'Oh my god, of course... I love it :heart:' and she started talking about how Beyoncé is 'a big fan' and crap and then went 'but of course, I ONLY like the song because of her... and I like her version better' and I was like... 'dude, can you not?' or she always says 'I only know about Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean :rolleyes:' as if to say those are the only good songs he has and she gives 0 about his other material... Geez! I KNOW she knows more than those... once she mentioned DSTYGE and Black or White and I was like... 'Ok, why are you afraid to admit you KNOW more about him than what you say' seriously... it's not like I care and I wouldn't want someone so dumb to listen to his material if they're not gonna appreciate it but just don't mention how you 'like' something, if you're gonna downplay him later. She also says shit like 'Oh, he was such a scaredy cat when it came to women, wasn't he?' and I just let out the loudest laugh and I went 'girl, I tell ya, you're mistaken' and ended that talk; Or once we went out to have dinner with one of our teachers (we're very close) and someone mentioned Michael and I of course, started to get all giddy :lol: then the same girl said the same stuff, that she only knew her most famous hits, that he was only cool up to Black or White and that she had always thought he was weird because THE PRESS said he had a zoo and animals at his house :rolleyes: and at this point, I had heard enough crap from her and I just went 'Are you serious? just because he had a zoo, that made him crazy? he took care of those animals! I mean, girl, please... if you had the means you would want to have everything you love at your place, OH and he never stopped being 'cool' he had great music his whole career' and she just looked at me like ':mellow: whatever..' then my teacher started to support me and said she knew he was framed and stuff. Also another one of my teachers said that he had witnessed Michael's entire 'transformation' he's 30 something and he was like 'up until he ruined his face' and I was like 'teacher, I really hate you for that' (the comment) by the way I'm very close to my teachers, we talk like 'friends' so yeah...

My family is pretty cool about my love for Michael... my sister is a really big fan too, she doesn't believe anything bad written about him and never has. My dad is pretty supportive also but he mostly likes his early work and my mom is pretty neutral but she says she loves the way he danced and one time we even watched Wembley together, all of us I mean :lol: so yeah my family is pretty cool with Michael, they don't believe the accusations and always tell me about him when he's on TV or whatever. I'm very fortunate... given the replies I've seen about most of you and the opinion your families have on Michael :no:

So yeah, most of the people I've met/know have had either pretty neutral or super nice comments about him but there's always a schmuck that has to say some crap they got out of a tabloid...as if we Michael fans did the same with whoever they like :bored: <_< people just have no respect or shame, I hate that shit :mat:

Last edited:
I can't relate to many of these posts, because I've ALWAYS been around people that love and respect Mike, starting with my Daddy buying the J5's debut album (for my siblings and me). I grew up around people that love him and his music, I've worked with people that respect him and his accomplishments. That is my NORM: surrounded by people that share the love and respect. :heart:

If anything, it is a rare occurrence for me to be around people that DON'T love and respect him! When I do see stupid shit spewed about him via social media (mainly FB, since I don't have a twitter acct), it's usually coming from white people. Yes, haters come in all sizes, shapes AND colors, but the numbers don't lie; the worst of the hate, the most vile and persistent is coming from white people.

My father is a wonderful man. I know he doesn't like MJ, from things he said when I first started listening to his music. But, bless his heart, he stopped completely when he realized how much MJ's music meant to me. He hasn't said a single word against him in the last 11 years.

I've not had to deal with any jokes or hatred since becoming an adult, as I can be very sarcastic, and I make it very clear that I won't listen to that crap. :yes:

I know this is an old thread, but I'm so frustrated right now. One of my best friends refuses to believe he was innocent. He will send me tabloid links, and he refuses to look at the other links I send him. He also says he got away since he is rich, and that Macaulay was paid off. And the list goes on and on. What am I supposed to do here? Can't say I want to talk to him right now, as he started the day with sending me tabloid links.. He simply don't want to believe he was innocent, he says so himself.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm so frustrated right now. One of my best friends refuses to believe he was innocent. He will send me tabloid links, and he refuses to look at the other links I send him. He also says he got away since he is rich, and that Macaulay was paid off. And the list goes on and on. What am I supposed to do here? Can't say I want to talk to him right now, as he started the day with sending me tabloid links.. He simply don't want to believe he was innocent, he says so himself.

If he has a closed mind and keeps sending you tabloid links despite of knowing it hurts you I don't think he is worthy of your time to be honest.

Yeah, but it's not that easy. He is one of my oldest friends, and he has been there for me a lot. But he is not a very understanding person, and he likes to provoke me a bit. I'm gonna ignore him for a while though, which is easy since m so annoyed.. I really don't understand why he needs to discuss the cases with, as he knows where I stand.
It's weird that he can't relate to mj, as my friend has always been single, and says he has no interest in Sex and relationships.. Mj was also accused of being asexual, as my sister and I also think my friend is.. I'm Obviously not saying that mj was!

^^After Michael died I made it very clear to my family and a few old friends that I wouldn't tolerate any nasty discussion about him. Period.

My brother said something once afterward and I went a little ballistic and freaked my family out. And my best friend of 40 years tried to push my buttons once-hung up on him and refused to take his calls for months. I think they were both just trying to provoke me but, They've never tried it again.

Last edited:
Yeah, but it's not that easy. He is one of my oldest friends, and he has been there for me a lot. But he is not a very understanding person, and he likes to provoke me a bit. I'm gonna ignore him for a while though, which is easy since m so annoyed.. I really don't understand why he needs to discuss the cases with, as he knows where I stand.
It's weird that he can't relate to mj, as my friend has always been single, and says he has no interest in Sex and relationships.. Mj was also accused of being asexual, as my sister and I also think my friend is.. I'm Obviously not saying that mj was!
tell him you don't want to talk about it

Yeah, I'm gonna ignore him for a while, that's for sure. I have already ignored him a bit the last three days since he sends me snaps where he makes jokes about mj

Most people openly like his work now that it's the bandwagon thing to do... Everyone is an MJ fan, or has good memories about listening to his music 'back in the day'... Before you hardly found people that would speak of him without a smirk... BS!

Yeah, I'm gonna ignore him for a while, that's for sure. I have already ignored him a bit the last three days since he sends me snaps where he makes jokes about mj

I think he's just trolling you tbh. If he's sending you tabloid links, just tell him you don't read tabloid trash and question why he does. Maybe send him a link to Tabloid Junkie ;D Don't ignore him, that only confirms for him that his "jokes" affect you and that's the whole point of trolling. But I wouldn't try to convince him of MJ's innocence either because I doubt he's open to it or even cares that much. Just explain to him that you've done your research and know that Michael was innocent so he's wasting his time on this.

I think a lot of my family members love MJ, though some of them make stupid comments about about him. My parents think Michael's kids were adopted. I've debated with them plenty of times about that. I think my mom asked me once if Michael was gay :|
Then there's my cousin who likes MJ but makes stupid comments about him to mess with me.
My great aunt is a huuugee fan of Michael. She was even going to meet him once.
My "friend" doesn't like Michael Jackson's music. She basically only listens to gospel...I need more friends.

I think a lot of my family members love MJ, though some of them make stupid comments about about him. My parents think Michael's kids were adopted. I've debated with them plenty of times about that. I think my mom asked me once if Michael was gay :|
Then there's my cousin who likes MJ but makes stupid comments about him to mess with me.
My great aunt is a huuugee fan of Michael. She was even going to meet him once.
My "friend" doesn't like Michael Jackson's music. She basically only listens to gospel...I need more friends.

Maybe she likes Man In The Mirror, Will You Be There or Keep The Faith? Michael could do all genres :)

Maybe she likes Man In The Mirror, Will You Be There or Keep The Faith? Michael could do all genres :)

I could recommend those songs, but knowing her she probably won't even listen lol. She's just very religious.

I could recommend those songs, but knowing her she probably won't even listen lol. She's just very religious.
Don't tell her it's Michael Jackson; just say you found some pretty cool gospel songs the other day and play them. Then when she's like "hey these were great!" just casually slide in the fact it's Michael Jackson ;)

Alrights that's a good idea. Ima try that when she comes over next weekend and see what she thinks.. BTW Love your siggy, I had to save it!

Alrights that's a good idea. Ima try that when she comes over next weekend and see what she thinks.. BTW Love your siggy, I had to save it!

Let us know how it goes! And thanks!! I love it too, two of my most favourite musicians ever!! :D

I can't relate to many of these posts, because I've ALWAYS been around people that love and respect Mike, starting with my Daddy buying the J5's debut album (for my siblings and me). I grew up around people that love him and his music, I've worked with people that respect him and his accomplishments. That is my NORM: surrounded by people that share the love and respect. :heart:

If anything, it is a rare occurrence for me to be around people that DON'T love and respect him! When I do see stupid shit spewed about him via social media (mainly FB, since I don't have a twitter acct), it's usually coming from white people. Yes, haters come in all sizes, shapes AND colors, but the numbers don't lie; the worst of the hate, the most vile and persistent is coming from white people.
I'm very jealous of you in that way that you are surrounded and always have been that share that love and respect. People who used to bring me their old Jet and Ebony magazines they had saved because they were so surprised that I was a Michael fan even turned their back on him-I especially remember when "In Living Color" started to be a thing and they would come to work and tell me the jokes about Michael-that weren't always laugh with him jokes and could be nasty.
And of course 93 happened and I retreated and I just backed off the subject altogether and left the room if it came up.

My mother was the last person in my life who knew how much I loved Michael-she actually pointed out to me that she thought I was in love with him. she watched most of his performances from 69 to 85 with me-but she died in 85.

I remember a few years ago, my cousin used to make fun of Michael in front of me not because he hated Michael but because he knew that it would make me angry. Thankfully I don't keep in much contact with that idiot anymore.

I must say that one thing I've noticed is that overall perception of Michael Jackson is more positive now after his death than it was prior to his death.

I remember a few years ago, my cousin used to make fun of Michael in front of me not because he hated Michael but because he knew that it would make me angry. Thankfully I don't keep in much contact with that idiot anymore.

I must say that one thing I've noticed is that overall perception of Michael Jackson is more positive now after his death than it was prior to his death.

That's true,but it's more like 'He's dead.But he made great music,so let's remember him for that.' Those are the people that thought he was weird but they've always liked his music.Then there are other people that changed their minds about him after he died.And there are many young people (like me) who where too little to really know about the allegations ,we only knew some songs and videos and we thought that he was cool.I was 11 when he died and I hadn't heard that there were allegations until then.But they were overshadowed by the big hysteria and sadness that his death caused.What I'm tyring to say is that people at my age don't really care for his personal life,because they were too young or not even born when the allegations happened.I've talked to many kids in my school and everyone likes his music and nobody was interested in his personal life,one of them even said that he's dead and we should let him rest in peace :D

in the late 90's to even mid 00's it simply was not cool to be an MJ fan.. almost any MJ fan I met in public was under cover.. I remember one guy at my HS was bumping his music (purposely playing Invincible knowing that there's a less chance someone walking by would not know its MJ) and I go "hey you like Michael Jackson?" his response was not "hell yeah, isn't he awesome?" it was "Yeah, so what do you have a problem?" he naturally had the assumption I was going to talk sh**... if he only knew how big of a fan I am.. lol!

I was introduced to Michael's music through my uncle Chris, who's only 6 months my senior. Over the years, it seemed his interest mostly faded, unlike mine. When Michael died, I remember one of my cousins saying, "I have great respect for him as an artist, but none as a human being". That really stung, because for years I wasn't sure what to believe about the allegations. I'm 95% convinced of his innocence regarding the 2005 trial, but the original 1993 case still bugs me; I'm hoping to read Geraldine Hughes' book "Redemption" for more on that. This is the same cousin who said about my Mom's death, "What goes around comes around"; talk about a jackass in the family. :(

in the late 90's to even mid 00's it simply was not cool to be an MJ fan.. almost any MJ fan I met in public was under cover.
Yeah, I was treated poorly by a few people, just because I liked Michael in spite of the '93 allegations. I was in a church youth group once, wearing headphones and listening to the "Bad" album before the ministry started. I wasn't singing along, or talking to anybody...just minding my own business. Suddenly, one of the adults comes up, and gestures for me to take the headphones off. When I did, he pointed at the booklet for "Bad" that was in my lap, and said "this kind of music doesn't belong here." That's probably the first time I realized how angry a lot of people were, just because he settled that first case. To a majority of folks, settling means you're guilty, period. I can see where they'd get that idea, but I don't always agree with it. However, I do think that first settlement opened the door for the same thing happening ten years later.

in the late 90's to even mid 00's it simply was not cool to be an MJ fan.. almost any MJ fan I met in public was under cover..

I'd go as far to say up until his death in 2009. I got into Michael's music as a pre-teen the year before, and I remember sometime that year my class had to perform a song in assembly. One of the suggestions my teacher (I think) gave was Thriller and I remember internally being super excited at the prospect of that - Thriller was one of my favourite songs and I loved the dance!!

But on the outside, I didn't react.

The sad truth is that I grew up in the time when Michael Jackson and his name was a walking punchline; I didn't grow up with the Michael Jackson that thrilled the world with his dance moves, I grew up with the Michael Jackson who dangled kids off his balcony, looked completely different to how he did 20 years prior and was in court for allegedly molesting children. The last thing I wanted to do was become a target for bullies by being associated as a fan of someone who was widely regarded as a weirdo and even worse, a child molester (of kids that were my age too). So I kept my excitement on the down-low. By jury of popular vote, another song was picked to be performed.

I remember next year in music class (so a good 3-4 months before Michael passed away), we had to introduce ourselves and state our favourite song. I did have the bit of courage to stand up and "My favourite song is Thriller by Michael Jackson", I don't recall much reaction to it... thankfully. It was only a few months later that when I saw the outpouring of love for Michael and his music that I started being a public about my love for him. It felt socially accepted to be a Michael Jackson fan once more.

I'm so glad that's the way it is now and I wish it was always like that. He's still controversial but it's good that people are so much more open about how much they love his art now. Sometimes I wonder if he was still popular during those darker years, but people were just afraid to be vocal about it given how controversial he was. It's not like Thriller 25 struggled to sell...

in the late 90's to even mid 00's it simply was not cool to be an MJ fan.. almost any MJ fan I met in public was under cover..
I have never experienced this, far from it. mid 90's/late 90's was an awesome time to be MJ fan (probably the best time to me), because there were so many things happening, and I was old enough to remember it all so well. everyone I knew was happy to be an MJ fan and they didn't feel the need to go under cover, neither did I. as for the bad mouthing of MJ, it wasn't particularly bad during this period. it's always been the same, except for now when he's dead, suddenly everyone loves him

I'd go as far to say up until his death in 2009. I got into Michael's music as a pre-teen the year before, and I remember sometime that year my class had to perform a song in assembly. One of the suggestions my teacher (I think) gave was Thriller and I remember internally being super excited at the prospect of that - Thriller was one of my favourite songs and I loved the dance!!

But on the outside, I didn't react.

The sad truth is that I grew up in the time when Michael Jackson and his name was a walking punchline; I didn't grow up with the Michael Jackson that thrilled the world with his dance moves, I grew up with the Michael Jackson who dangled kids off his balcony, looked completely different to how he did 20 years prior and was in court for allegedly molesting children. The last thing I wanted to do was become a target for bullies by being associated as a fan of someone who was widely regarded as a weirdo and even worse, a child molester (of kids that were my age too). So I kept my excitement on the down-low. By jury of popular vote, another song was picked to be performed.

I remember next year in music class (so a good 3-4 months before Michael passed away), we had to introduce ourselves and state our favourite song. I did have the bit of courage to stand up and "My favourite song is Thriller by Michael Jackson", I don't recall much reaction to it... thankfully. It was only a few months later that when I saw the outpouring of love for Michael and his music that I started being a public about my love for him. It felt socially accepted to be a Michael Jackson fan once more.

I'm so glad that's the way it is now and I wish it was always like that. He's still controversial but it's good that people are so much more open about how much they love his art now. Sometimes I wonder if he was still popular during those darker years, but people were just afraid to be vocal about it given how controversial he was. It's not like Thriller 25 struggled to sell...
he's always been controversial. I got bullied in school because I am MJ fan. not because of the allegations, it was before that, but I never felt the need to hide that I'm an MJ fan, because of that. it's something I've always shown off with great pride, and I don't let anyone get to me or make me want to hide the fact that I love someone/something. especially when it comes to MJ, because I know that they are just tabloid junkies who don't know any better, and I know better (but was always ready to defend him if I felt the need to). I don't really understand the things you guys are saying, that you felt the need to hide that you're MJ fans. I've never in my life even thought like that

Back