What Is Michael's Most Underrated Album?

Least Appreciated Album

• Off The Wall

Votes: 41 9.9%
  • Thriller

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Dangerous

Votes: 48 11.6%
  • HIStory

Votes: 67 16.1%
  • Blood on the Dancefloor

Votes: 29 7.0%
  • Invincible

Votes: 206 49.6%

• Total voters
I'd have to say HIStory. Invincible was very underated but the songs on HIStory are phenomenal. Stranger is Moscow, Little Susie, HIStory, TDCAU are all quite frankly amazing songs. For critics to belittle HIStory the way they did and say 'Michael did nothing good after Bad' is insane.

Invincible. At least songs from other albums are known to general public, there are videos people know. And Invincible is known only to the fans, which is the shame, because the songs are amazing!

Blood on the Dancefloor, no question. There are a couple of others that don't get the credit they deserve but most non-fans I've met don't even know BOTDF exists :(

Hard to say, but it seems that mainstream only knows Thriller and Bad. Even the songs on Dangerous that are mainstream knowledge are limited to a few.

Dangerous just rocks with that New Jack Swing stuff, love it. Outside of a narrow scope nobody seems to know these gems.

Similar thing with HIStory. At TDCAU is known- but most people never heard Little Susie, D.S., Tabloid Junkie or 2Bad- those songs are jewels, absolute gems.

And Invincible is only known to actual fans- only they know masterpieces like Threatened, Invincible and Break of Dawn.

It's too bad but media won't bother- they rather show a 20 second clip of Thriller for the 5905803824762874628374 time. (I have nothing against Thriller, but it's kind of tiring that media forgets just how MUCH this artist has brought to the world)

Well, seriously I think BOTDF is the most underrated. Is It Scary, Ghosts, BOTDF are masterpieces. Morphine is also awesome song. Even Superfly Sister is listenable :)

I forgot to mention BOTDF, wich includes one of the BEST MJ Songs: BOTDF and one of the greatest videos: GHOSTS. Plus, it's the most selling remix album of all time! :D
So in the end in this order:

INVINCIBLE
HIStory
BOTDF

Blood on the Dancefloor, no question. There are a couple of others that don't get the credit they deserve but most non-fans I've met don't even know BOTDF exists :(

WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE. BOTDF.
and those new 5 songs are equisite. amazing. I :heart: and can listen over and over again to them.
I can only wish he produced a full album of new music like this.
It felt like such a nice creative fresh thought!

Invincible definitely doesn't deserve its reputation in the popular imagination, but I opted for HIStory - the greatest hits disc and focus on his personal life, other controversies etc. by that time in his life really meant that there was a lot less discussion of the artistic aspect of HIStory Continues than I'd expect of such a good disc. In the case of Invincible, the actual album was of a lower standard anyway, although obviously still really quite something compared to the work of almost any other artist.

And BOTDF isn't sufficiently equivalent to the others in this poll - there were so many undistinguished HIStory remixes on that one that it was always going to have a much lower profile. I can't really make a good judgement on just five original songs...

I voted for Invincible, I believe the album had some great songs and was a better release than HIStory and Blood on the Dance Floor in my opinion, but probably not quite as good as Off the Wall to Dangerous.

Invincible, it's the best album in the world and it needed more ¨fame¨ and still do

Invincible... even though it's my least favorite album :mello:

Invincible, the media is always trying to make it sound like it was a flop, so people don't even bother listening. It's a great album!

I voted for Off the Wall. Although the album was a big success commercially, I think some international markets were not yet fully aware of Michael Jackson as a solo artist when this album was released. This was not the case for all of his subsequent albums that immediately got a lot of attention all around the world following his rise to superstardom

I voted for Off the Wall. Although the album was a big success commercially, I think some international markets were not yet fully aware of Michael Jackson as a solo artist when this album was released. This was not the case for all of his subsequent albums that immediately got a lot of attention all around the world as a result of his superstardom

HIStory was MJ's most personal album ever and imo didn't get the right recognisation it deserved both from critics and some fans

I vote Dangerous. Never got the appreciation it deserves.

Mind blowing album, much better than thriller in my opinion.

I was torn between Invincible and Dangerous but chose Dangerous instead since I believe it's the best album he ever made (Though sometimes I think it's Bad. hahaha.. So hard to choose.). And yes, Who is it is a very underrated song.

History for me. It's simply a work of art, the whole album for me can be summed up in the outro to stranger in moscow, genius. The album is immensely interesting from a lyrical, harmonic, melodic and production point of view, and featured some new things from Michael. The album doesn't always make easy listening, songs like DS and Money and Little Susie arn't and weren't ever ment to be radio friendly singles, but works of art to be appreciated in their own right. Most radio/chart music is mere functionality designed to sell and to keep the cogs of peoples life's spinning in the illusion of foreground, but really the background. A lot of Michael's earlier music managed to achieve this, yet also fulfill it's artistic role and be a work of art, the perfect mix of creativity and marketability weaved by a passion unrivaled in the industry. Some of the music on history falls much more into the category of art, it is a challenge to appreciate the musical tapestry on many of the songs, like a great painting, it cannot be scanned at mere glance, it must be observed for long amounts of time, until the magic begins to unravel, the understanding grows, it's secrets become revealed. Perhaps sit down one night, or lie down, close your mind from distractions, and listen to the Album as though it were once again your first time, see what you make of it, it might cause some inner revelations, it certainly has with me tonight.

Back