What was Michael's height ?

benscarr

Proud Member
I've Dick Zimmerman's photos of Michael, especially the Thriller era ones. I sent Dick Zimmerman a message asking him how tall Michael was, as he said Michael was taller than he thought he would be on his blog about working with Michael. He say's he never asked Michael how tall he was, but he Dick Zimmerman is 6'1 and standing face to face to Michael they came equally head to head.

I saw Michael close up many times from 1988-2001, and my estimation was that Michael was between 5'8 and no taller than 5'10. In biographies about Michael etc in the 1980's his height was always listed at 5'9. Eddie Murphy is 5'9 and a half and in some photos he's slightly taller than Michael. Marlon Brando was 5'9 and also appears slightly taller than Michael. Quincy Jones is 5'6 and Michael looks no more than 3 inched taller than him in photos. I've even read an article in Sony Magazine last year were a costume designer working in the Thriller video said Michael was 5'7 (Mick Jagger's height) but I find that estimation as hard to believe as Michael being 5'11 plus.

I hear and read very conflicting views on Michael's height. I know depending on what clothes he wore and what kind of shoes and boats he wore he sometimes would look very taller or quite small. Yet some people who met Michael, ie some journalists etc have said Michael was surprisingly very tall like 6'1. I'm not ruling out Michael was 6'1, as I never got to meet him face to face but I did see him close up many times and find his being 5'11 plus hard to believe. What are other fans who saw Michael close up, or those lucky enough to have met him estimation of what Michael's height was.

even his f**kin' height is a mystery lol!! hah!

PS. I met him back in 1987 and to me he seemed about five ten. I'm only five feet tall, so don't take my word for it. he seemed wiry and on the tall side. not short.

even his f**kin' height is a mystery lol!! hah!

PS. I met him back in 1987 and to me he seemed about five ten. I'm only five feet tall, so don't take my word for it. he seemed wiry and on the tall side. not short.

First of all you are very lucky to have met Michael, to me that is just amazing and very impressive as nothing can beat that, even seen him close up many times like I did doesn't come close to that.

5'10 seems like a realistic estimation and discription of Michael in person, and he like you say he never looked short. Did he have loafers or cuban healed boots when you met Michael. I personally think Michael was 5'9-5'10 as he didn't appear much taller than me (I'm 5'8) when I was stood very close to him and Lisa Marie Presley in Hamley's in 1997.

Michael's height sure is a mystery, and I think it will always remain one.

5'10" is on his police records. (or 5'11", don't remember which)

First of all you are very lucky to have met Michael, to me that is just amazing and very impressive as nothing can beat that, even seen him close up many times like I did doesn't come close to that.

5'10 seems like a realistic estimation and discription of Michael in person, and he like you say he never looked short. Did he have loafers or cuban healed boots when you met Michael. I personally think Michael was 5'9-5'10 as he didn't appear much taller than me (I'm 5'8) when I was stood very close to him and Lisa Marie Presley in Hamley's in 1997.

Michael's height sure is a mystery, and I think it will always remain one.

IIRC, he was wearing boots. not sure if there were actually heels. I thought they were flat, dark brown. I think he looked taller than five ten 'cos he was so slender and his muscles were long. in fact, that's what I remember most about his physicality (other than his eyes, his smile and the lines on his cheek when he smiled) -- his muscles were very beautiful and elongated. he had a dancer's body and moved fluidly. his gait was very swanlike.. but also masculine.

I think it's hilarious that a thread about someone's height can get more than one reply. :lol: I always thought he's 5'10. He was right in front of me in London this March and he appeared to be a little taller than me and I'm 5'8 and I had 2-3 inch heels on (but I think he had boots on that made him a little taller too). But I'd say 5'10 is close enough. A fan from Norway who once met Michael face to face said that MJ was the same height as her, and she was 5'10.

IIRC, he was wearing boots. not sure if there were actually heels. I thought they were flat, dark brown. I think he looked taller than five ten 'cos he was so slender and his muscles were long. in fact, that's what I remember most about his physicality (other than his eyes, his smile and the lines on his cheek when he smiled) -- his muscles were very beautiful and elongated. he had a dancer's body and moved fluidly. his gait was very swanlike.. but also masculine.

That sounds like the Michael Jackson when I first saw in person at the Mayfair Hotel, London in 1988 when he came here for the Bad Tour. From various posts hear and other threads it seems like Michael was more likely 5'10 (still maybe 5'9 which was his official height in the 1980's).

I found the Police mug shoot of Michael wear it stateed he was 5'11 hard to believe. But all this 6ft plus stuff a couple of journalists who've met Michael sounds totally unrealistic. And I don't know why, but I don't think Michael would have been as good a dancer if he was tall like 6ft (as I don't think tall men make great dancers). Because even though Michael had a long slim body, it was quite sleek and compact (as in not too long and lanky which it would most likely have been if he was very tall) more like a body of someone 5'8-5'10.

I always thought he was around 5'9.

5'9 was always Michael's official height in the 1980's and 90's. But since this decade some fans etc seem to think Michael was really tall like 6ft plus. Anyone who's seen Michael close up knows he was of average height, not small and not tall.

Some people feel that all icons need to be really tall, even if that means lying about them or not mentioning there height. Someone like Bono who I've stood right next too appears to be no taller than 5'5, but his lack of height is never mentioned, and Marlon Brando was to my surprise 5'9 yet like many other famous people (like Johnny Depp who is 5'10) I always expected him to be 6ft which I guess many new Michael Jackson fans would expect Michael to be simply because he's such a huge icon.

5'9 was always Michael's official height in the 1980's and 90's. But since this decade some fans etc seem to think Michael was really tall like 6ft plus. Anyone who's seen Michael close up knows he was of average height, not small and not tall.

Some people feel that all icons need to be really tall, even if that means lying about them or not mentioning there height. Someone like Bono who I've stood right next too appears to be no taller than 5'5, but his lack of height is never mentioned, and Marlon Brando was to my surprise 5'9 yet like many other famous people (like Johnny Depp who is 5'10) I always expected him to be 6ft which I guess many new Michael Jackson fans would expect Michael to be simply because he's such a huge icon.

Well people saying he's around 6ft tall could be true also because he often wore boots that made him taller. So if he was 5'10 and had boots on, he coudl have easily been 6ft and over. So that is probably where the 6ft tall stories came. So true both ways.

and in cm's that is...?

178 cm

I checked out www.celebheights.com and they have him listed as 5'9".

There is this poster named Frank2 who is freaking obsessive that Michael is 5'8" and is raising hell for the moderator to downgrade Michael an inch. He's also saying that Michael is gay for some reason. Said that he worked with him on a concert or a show. He made a lot of posts and it's quite sick that he can't leave it alone.

Check it out for yourself:

http://www.celebheights.com/s/Michael-Jackson-740.html

IMO, I always thought Michael was btw 5'9" to 5'10". Someone mentioned that they read his police records and it said 5'11". Can we still access those police records or anything that can be trusted?

I checked out www.celebheights.com and they have him listed as 5'9".

There is this poster named Frank2 who is freaking obsessive that Michael is 5'8" and is raising hell for the moderator to downgrade Michael an inch. He's also saying that Michael is gay for some reason. Said that he worked with him on a concert or a show. He made a lot of posts and it's quite sick that he can't leave it alone.

Check it out for yourself:

http://www.celebheights.com/s/Michael-Jackson-740.html

I've seen this site before, and Michael's height is 5'9 by most people who've seen or met Michael on it. That retard Frank2 could possibly be right about Michael being 5'8 because the two photos I have of Michael with Slyvester Stallone who's said to be 5'9 on that site show Michael as being slighly shorter than Slyvester Stallone. But it is rumored that Slyvester Stallone wears lifts in his shoes. I wouldn't be surprised if Frank2 was actually Robert Helperin who wrote a recent biography on Michael which is full of lies. They guy does seem pretty obessive with his lies.

The leak of Michael's autopsy resport (if it's actually real) puts Michael's height at 5'9. Once again I would like to point out that from the 1980's to early 90's Michael's official height was always 5'9. Because of that and because I've stood very close to Michael a couple of times (though I never got to meet him) appeared around 5'9 which is the height I actually think he was, though I don't rule out Michael being 5'10.

Last edited:
I think he's about as tall as my dad 5' 10".

How come his height was 5'11" on his mugshot (ugh, hate using that word!)???

Hello,

I know I'm dusting off the subet a bit, which dates back almost 14 years ago, but on a forum, I saw someone say that Michael was less than 1m75 tall. And I think it’s very false for many reasons and comparaison of height.

• Tatiana Thumbtzen, is 1m70 (5.6) tall and she seemed smaller. Michael wears mini-heels but she also wears heels and they are higher than Michael's.

• Campbell is 178cm (5.10) tall and in the ITC clip she is barefoot, she appears to be slightly taller or about the same height as Michael who is 175cm (5.9)

• Michael and Eddie are the same height.

• Taj once said that Michael is taller than him and he is 1m76 (5.29).

• Janet measures 1m63 (5.4), Rebbie and Katherine 1m57 (5.1), they come to the shoulder of Michael.

Hoping this helps clear up the "mystery" around her waist.

5'9" in his drivers license
69" was stated on the autopsy report at the time (5'7")
Think 175cm seems about right. Stood quite close to him once in Amsterdam and was surprised how "small" he was (am 186 myself).

5'9" in his drivers license
69" was stated on the autopsy report at the time (5'7")
Think 175cm seems about right. Stood quite close to him once in Amsterdam and was surprised how "small" he was (am 186 myself).

Oh really good !
But it’s not too important between heights with 5.9. Michael was tall I think.

Back