When will there be a new album????

lougrizli;4161169 said:
Did I said it was revolutionary in term of shooting videos ? I'm talking about the video itself. I've never seen someone used this concept, especially with a dead artist. Hotchpotch ? No. The point is to make a skit about it, not to put footages everywhere with no sense. At least it would still be better than LNFSG, that didn't have the original concept that you're talking about.

I am afraid such ideas will have rather embarrassing results & his fans are not going to like them at all.

Also, such concepts are not necessarily going to work well just because they have not been used (in a particular way) yet. To me, making a skit as the whole idea for a (posthumous) music clip is even worse than mixing meaninglessly various footages.

lougrizli;4161169 said:
Anyway. I don't think these threads are gonna change something! If the Estate want to release a duets album, they will do it because there will always be people to buy it.

It seems that a posthumous 'duet' (with a top, current living artist) that is released every now & then probably will sell well.

But, I would not say the same regarding albums that are entirely made of posthumous ‘duets’.

I might be dreaming too much but the estate should set up a team of 10 "hard-core fans" who would be able to control the releases.
I mean it's pretty obvious that we can do everything by ourselves. The montages, the audio mixing, etc. That is not a problem for us to watch 72 hours of footages without sleeping.

And I think we are the only ones who can bring that new touch to his stuffs. We are those who noticed what's wrong everytime there's something new who's coming out. There is no communication between them and us and that's the main problem.

I have always felt this was the way to go. Just pull 5 long-time fans that really know the MJ catalogue and help narrow down a list of 20 songs down to about 10.

5 albums and 3 DVDs, including the TII Soundtrack, OTW Documentary, Bad Wembley and Vision.

Well, they do need to stop sitting on all that THIS IS IT footage... maybe 2019 10 year anniversary addition? They could make another documentary easily prior to that.. 'This Is It: The Creative Process' and that alone talk about the making process of the concert, show longer behind the scene footage etc..

I have always felt this was the way to go. Just pull 5 long-time fans that really know the MJ catalogue and help narrow down a list of 20 songs down to about 10.

Yes, the communication is very important, IMO! Fans just can see what is wrong. Also it would be great if some fans had a chance to "preview" the hologram, for example. They sure could help, even with chareography.

Although, I can be wrong but there was some meeting with fans as for Off The Wall project... and the result is that we have a chalk. IDK, I've read it in fans conversations on Twitter, so correct me if I misunderstood something.

honestly if they were to get someone to re work an MJ unfinished song I'd want someone that is clearly from the school of MJ and/or knows what the heck they are doing.. I'd like to see the Smeezingtons or Max Martin!

Didn't they hold a bunch of Xscape listening parties for fans? Thought I read about them here and everyone was raving on it.

I don't think I'd like a group of fans deciding things unless they picked a really diverse group who are knowledgeable in musical history.

Eta: Smeezingtons would be good!

Well, they do need to stop sitting on all that THIS IS IT footage... maybe 2019 10 year anniversary addition? They could make another documentary easily prior to that.. 'This Is It: The Creative Process' and that alone talk about the making process of the concert, show longer behind the scene footage etc..

Agreed we have waited so long... It's the only new MJ footage I want to see especially from the final two nights when he was awesome.

This Is It and One Night Only are the only new footages that I'm dying to see. And Bad Tour rehearsals. I love rehearsal footage in general though. He does so many things that he doesn't do when in concert.

When I mentioned fans in decision making on the album.. I meant more so... ME!! lol.. well you can come too barbee I trust your opinion on this!! I feel like we could come up with a good group of fans that we really believe would make great/smart choices, not just for fans but the general public as well..

I read somewhere that YRMW, YANA, Dangerous were rehearsed for This Is It. I really hope to see the rehearsal footage of these songs someday.

^ YANA and Dangerous were rehearsed for sure.. I heard recorded audio of Dangerous from 'Waldo' June of 2009.. It actually did start with the morphine sound that the fan made versions later ended up trying to emulate.. IDK about YRMW though I don't remember that ever being mentioned.

When I mentioned fans in decision making on the album.. I meant more so... ME!! lol.. well you can come too barbee I trust your opinion on this!! I feel like we could come up with a good group of fans
Haha. Guess you could see my skeptical eyebrow going up thru internet space.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

We're all so different and all love/hate/ appreciate things differently that I'm picturing fists flying and chairs being thrown during the fan decision making process.

Galactus123;4161067 said:
I'm sure a new album will come at some point. I hope it's not a duet album because I want to hear the original songs.

I wouldn't mind it if the duets were with good artists such as: JT, Bruno Mars, Beyoncé & Usher.. Just keep Justin Bieber & Lady Gaga far away from any MJ material!

+1

I liked it better than any of the Xscape mixes
Wish I could say the same, but since I've heard Timbaland's version of "Slave to the Rhythm" I can't get that bassline out of my head. Everything about it is just great. Tricky Stewart's mix of STTR.. I can't listen to it at all, sounds too "techno-ish" now. Max Methods mix would've been great as a solo mix, can't get with a "teen pop sensation" taking over an MJ track that hot!.. Just can't!

Korlay;4161371 said:
I wouldn't mind it if the duets were with good artists such as: JT, Bruno Mars, Beyoncé & Usher.. Just keep Justin Bieber & Lady Gaga far away from any MJ material!

A Lady Gaga duet would be amazing, I couldn't disagree more. Apart from the fact she is an amazing artist outright, at least we know that Michael was into her work - she was going to open This Is It for him.

Theres an excellent mashup of Lady Gaga's album ARTPOP and various MJ songs out there, I have it on my phone. It's really good.

HIStoric;4161144 said:
Sometimes I do worry about just how many more "good songs" are left in the vault. I've heard varying numbers over the years about how Michael had many unreleased songs, but how many are actual, fully-written songs that were also fully recorded? Let alone good?

Sometimes I do worry about the quality of the songs left unreleased and I'm not doubting Michael's abilities, I love a great number of the songs he never released. I just hope the Estate don't scrap the barrel and are aware and respectful of what should and shouldn't be released.

You raised a really intriguing question!

Judging by MJ’s own words, the songs that he wrote by himself during his career amount to some hundreds:

“…Every album that I record I write, like, literally, I am telling you the truth, I write a hundred and twenty songs every album I do, so, I can do the box set [The Ultimate Collection] just giving them [Sony] any two songs…” (MJ, 2002)

It can be easily derived from his above statement that many of those songs were not just ideas/demos/early versions, but rather songs that were most likely in the post-production stage. To put it differently, MJ had the luxury of choosing any of them at a given time (for official releases), meaning that many of those songs were good enough to pass the production stage.

If we take into account also the songs that he did not write solely by himself, then the number of the songs is even greater. Of course we should keep in mind in this case that not all of them include MJ’s vocals, simply because it would have been senseless for MJ to record everything that he was presented with (because of obvious reasons, such as time limits, production costs, voice protection). But, it is not unreasonable to assume that he recorded many of them, particularly the ones that he felt that they had the greatest potential.

Personally, I sense that the number of all those recorded songs that are kept in the vault that are in an very advanced stage in terms of production (written/co-written by MJ, not written at all by MJ) exceeds the one-thousand songs.

I think that it is misleading for people to believe that MJ was not really prolific just because he did not release each & every song that he wrote (or co-wrote) during his career. Also, judging by what has come to light (in terms of his unreleased material), I would even claim that his musical prolificacy did not necessarily come to the detriment of the quality of many of those songs that (for one reason or another) he decided not to include on his studio albums.

^^I find it hard to believe that Michael Jackson has 1,000 unreleased tracks, let alone anywhere near that (and I'm thinking in any recorded stage, not advanced). Just because he said he wrote over 100 songs for every album does not mean he recorded anywhere near that number. Hell, many of those 100 songs probably weren't even finished being written or "finalised".

A very good number of his unreleased songs/demos featured unrecorded vocals (Hollywood Tonight), random lyrics ("Love is a doughnut" Give Into Me demo), discernible lyrics (Al Capone, Days in Gloucestershire), humming (People of the World/In The Back), or a various mix of the above. Some even have no vocals whatsoever (Shut Up and Dance). Minus GITM for obvious reasons, I wouldn't classify most of these songs as in the "very advanced stage" and it's likely many of his other unreleased songs are in similar states.

He might have a decent amount of reasonably complete, unreleased songs to go... but he wasn't Prince.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that YRMW, YANA, Dangerous were rehearsed for This Is It. I really hope to see the rehearsal footage of these songs someday.

Will You Be There was also rehearsed

HIStoric;4161411 said:
A very good number of his unreleased songs/demos featured unrecorded vocals (Hollywood Tonight), random lyrics ("Love is a doughnut" Give Into Me demo), discernible lyrics (Al Capone, Days in Gloucestershire), humming (People of the World/In The Back), or a various mix of the above. Some even have no vocals whatsoever (Shut Up and Dance). Minus GITM for obvious reasons, I wouldn't classify most of these songs as in the "very advanced stage" and it's likely many of his other unreleased songs are in similar states.

Still, this does not prove that there are not many other unreleased songs in a far more advanced stage (in terms of production).

HIStoric;4161411 said:
^^I find it hard to believe that Michael Jackson has 1,000 unreleased tracks, let alone anywhere near that (and I'm thinking in any recorded stage, not advanced). Just because he said he wrote over 100 songs for every album does not mean he recorded anywhere near that number. Hell, many of those 100 songs probably weren't even finished being written or "finalised".

He might have a decent amount of reasonably complete, unreleased songs to go... but he wasn't Prince.

MJ used to have a wide variety even of finalized songs before the selection of his official tracklists. Take for example his ‘Dangerous’ album. There were over 70 finalized tracks in contention of that final tracklist. So, it makes sense to believe that there were many other songs (not in that finalized stage) that were recorded during those sessions.

Far less known/successful singers (than MJ) record thousands of songs during their recording sessions only to leave those songs out of their albums. So, I do not think that the number of MJ’s 1.000 unreleased songs (in an advanced production stage) can be perceived as an unrealistic/overblown one.

mj_frenzy;4161416 said:
Still, this does not prove that there are not many other unreleased songs in a far more advanced stage (in terms of production).

Yeah sure, I imagine there are still a good number in more advanced stages of production, but I'm also sure theres a great number of songs that aren't near these stages at all.

mj_frenzy;4161416 said:
MJ used to have a wide variety even of finalized songs before the selection of his official tracklists. Take for example his ‘Dangerous’ album. There were over 70 finalized tracks in contention of that final tracklist. So, it makes sense to believe that there were many other songs (not in that finalized stage) that were recorded during those sessions.

Can I see the specific quote? Not doubting you necessarily, but it sounds like they had 70 songs written in contention of the tracklist which definitely sounds about right. 54 extra songs that were finalised in essentially every aspect is astronomically high for a single-disc album...

I believe that a great portion of those were recorded in one way or another, but I imagine the songs are varying states of competition.

mj_frenzy;4161416 said:
Far less known/successful singers (than MJ) record thousands of songs during their recording sessions only to leave those songs out of their albums. So, I do not think that the number of MJ’s 1.000 unreleased songs (in an advanced production stage) can be perceived as an unrealistic/overblown one.

Are you saying "thousands of songs" literally or hyperbolically? Like TBH that's just my main point of contention (and funnily enough, neither of us exactly know either HAHA) but if you mean it literally for other artists, I'm not entirely sure that's true, mainly because studio time can be so expensive.

I dunno, the idea of thousands of brand new, unreleased, recorded songs seems very unrealistic to me? ...unless you're like... Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan or Prince or whoever. Like I think of other prolific artists who died a while ago (such as Elvis, Sinatra, Mercury) and none of them had thousands of unreleased songs, let alone a hundred. Unless you mean 1000+ unreleased takes of various songs, including those already released, as well as covers/live versions then oh yeah absolutely.

Last edited:
HIStoric;4161418 said:
Yeah sure, I imagine there are still a good number in more advanced stages of production, but I'm also sure theres a great number of songs that aren't near these stages at all.

Can I see the specific quote? Not doubting you necessarily, but it sounds like they had 70 songs written in contention of the tracklist which definitely sounds about right. 54 extra songs that were finalised in essentially every aspect is astronomically high for a single-disc album...

I believe that a great portion of those were recorded in one way or another, but I imagine the songs are varying states of competition.

The number of 70 finalized songs (for the ‘Dangerous’ album) was reported extensively during the summer of 1991. Also, as far as I am aware, those reports were never refuted by MJ or by his camp (record company, collaborators, etc.). On the contrary, his collaborators at that time (like Teddy Riley) back up those pretty long lists (when they are asked about it).

HIStoric;4161418 said:
Are you saying "thousands of songs" literally or hyperbolically? Like TBH that's just my main point of contention (and funnily enough, neither of us exactly know either HAHA) but if you mean it literally for other artists, I'm not entirely sure that's true, mainly because studio time can be so expensive.

I dunno, the idea of thousands of brand new, unreleased, recorded songs seems very unrealistic to me? ...unless you're like... Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan or Prince or whoever. Like I think of other prolific artists who died a while ago (such as Elvis, Sinatra, Mercury) and none of them had thousands of unreleased songs, let alone a hundred. Unless you mean 1000+ unreleased takes of various songs, including those already released, as well as covers/live versions then oh yeah absolutely.

Unreleased songs (not unreleased takes of various songs) can reach in some cases, the number of one thousand songs… literally.

Finally, there are many other examples as well, such as Paul McCartney, an artist who can write/record his songs in his sleep. I am pretty sure even Paul McCartney himself must have lost the account of the all songs he has written/recorded in the post-Beatles era but he never released (solo, The Wings, etc).

mj_frenzy;4161425 said:
The number of 70 finalized songs (for the ‘Dangerous’ album) was reported extensively during the summer of 1991. Also, as far as I am aware, those reports were never refuted by MJ or by his camp (record company, collaborators, etc.). On the contrary, his collaborators at that time (like Teddy Riley) back up those pretty long lists (when they are asked about it).

Yeah well I'm probably still going to stick with songs written, at least for now. Besides if it wasn't true, I can't imagine it's something they'd refute tbh, since it's positive marketing for the album and all.

mj_frenzy;4161425 said:
Unreleased songs (not unreleased takes of various songs) can reach in some cases, the number of one thousand songs… literally.

Finally, there are many other examples as well, such as Paul McCartney, an artist who can write/record his songs in his sleep. I am pretty sure even Paul McCartney himself must have lost the account of the all songs he has written/recorded in the post-Beatles era but he never released (solo, The Wings, etc).

It's funny because Paul actually has made so many songs, he sometimes forgets what the odd one will sound like ("Well I tell you really what happens, I look at a title and think, “I wonder how that goes?” Which is like “ahhhh!”).

But yeah, Paul is a writing machine. Very curious to know the rough estimate of unreleased tracks in his archive, I imagine he's got a nice solid collection of full songs in there, but a lot of it seems to just be fragments (from an interview in June):

[FONT=&amp]Is there an archive of unheard Paul McCartney tracks?[/FONT]
What tends to happen is when we’re doing re-mastering and we’re going into the vaults, sometimes my production team will say “Look we found this one!” and I say, “yeah I buried it on purpose because I don’t like it!” and they say they like it. Sometimes I’m persuaded.

So there are a few little things but they normally escape when we’re doing re-mastering and find their way into the bonus extras. And by then I don’t mind them. But what there is, is a lot of stuff for when I’ve done ideas for songs, there’s a lot of things that I intend to work on and finish up. There’s a lot of that what was just a melody and I think oh I like that melody but I haven’t worked it into a song.

So you know, I’m working on them now for the next album and some of them I’m just finishing up as a song. Some of them I’m using that fragment of melody in another song, which is kind of an interesting thing to do. So yeah I’m playing around with some of those things at the moment.

Remember when they tried to make a Justin Bieber duet for Slave To The Rhythm? I still shudder that they even attepted it, but thanks to huge fan backlash that duet was never officially released.

There was no they...it was just Justin and his handlers, who foolishly leaked it on the net thinking it would be a huge success, only for the fans to hate it, and the estate and Sony to threaten legal action if it wasn't taken down.

The songs Michael rehearsed that we have not seen..

Don't Stop Til You get enough (Added to the end of Motown Medly, could have been after MJ left stage)
Rock With You
Dirty Diana (without prop sets)
Dangerous
Will You Be There
You Are Not Alone
Stranger In Moscow
We Are The World (I believe just as interlude for 'Heal The World' without MJ) Pretty much how we saw it at the memorial!

Last edited:
The songs Michael rehearsed that we have not seen..

Don't Stop Til You get enough (Added to the end of Motown Medly, could have been after MJ left stage)
Rock With You
Dirty Diana (without prop sets)
Dangerous
Will You Be There
You Are Not Alone
Stranger In Moscow
We Are The World (I believe just as interlude for 'Heal The World' without MJ) Pretty much how we saw it at the memorial!

I thought that only the backing singers rehearsed Stranger In Moscow

Back