Whitney Houston Has Passed Away

Always loved this song. Makes me want to cry. Whitney sang with so much emotion...

And this is my favorite. I used to practice this on the piano. Vocals and lyrics are impecible:

Last edited:
For being white-washed according to the black community (whatever that means). I guess being classy is a bad thing? Sort of insulting when you think about it.
It all boils down to jealousy and insecurity. In the end no matter how much they hated her, her natural talent spoke for itself,couldn't be held back and was clear for all the world to see.
I miss her so much, she just seemed so beautiful,warm,genuine, supernaturally talented and innocent like Michael ...I've always wished my two biggest music heros could have recorded a duet and now they are both gone. Music is Officially Dead, I wish there was a time machine. People don't understand, these two music giants allowed every young black kid the world over to dare to dream and DREAM Big.

When Michael died it was the biggest shock to date, with Whitney gone now I have this gloomy feeling that won't go away , its just too sad and unbearable :(

Last edited:
It all boils down to jealousy and insecurity. In the end no matter how much they hated her, her natural talent spoke for itself,couldn't be held back and was clear for all the world to see.
I miss her so much, she just seemed so beautiful,warm,genuine, supernaturally talented and innocent like Michael ...I've always wished my two biggest music heros could have recorded a duet and now they are both gone. Music is Officially Dead, I wish there was a time machine. People don't understand, these two music giants allowed every young black kid the world over to dare to dream and DREAM Big.

When Michael died it was the biggest shock to date, with Whitney gone now I have this gloomy feeling that won't go away , its just too sad and unbearable :(

She and Michael were a lot a like. I like to think that they are dueting in heaven now.

It must have been hard to be a black woman in top in the musicindustry.

I lit a candle for her and Michael.

Watching the funeral service right now. Wow! So many great singers, great words...and it's such an intimate athmospere.

Yes, Whitney's mother brought the world to church today.

It's beautiful. ( I'm not a 'believer', but sometimes I wish I was )

I'm actually glad Michael's memorial wasn't this overly religious...

I liked most speeches, but I didn't like that preacher with the red belt towards the end. Too agressive, too fundy for my taste.

On day of Whitney Houston's funeral, Newark gang leaders call for day of truce

NEWARK — Whitney Houston's funeral has inspired several of Newark's gang leaders to call for a day of calm today to honor the Brick City-born pop queen.

The push started after Hykine Johnson — a former high-ranking member of the Sex, Money, Murder Bloods who is better known around Newark by his street handle “HAK” — published a Facebook post Wednesday night, calling for citywide peace on the day of Houston's services at the New Hope Baptist Church.

"If anyone out there is gang banging lets show Whitney Houston respect by commiting no crimes on saturday ......No shootings No robbing No car jacking basically no crazy (stuff) let us show some respect she helped alot of people in Nj lets show lov," wrote Johnson, who now works as an author and filmmaker, publishing works intended to show young people the perils of gang life in the city.

Johnson’s message quickly circulated throughout the street community, largely among city and gang leaders connected to the Bloods. While Newark is home to a wide array of street gangs, the Bloods make up the majority of the city's gang populace.

Early Friday morning, an influential member of the large Mob PIRU Bloods set promised her crew's members would fall in line with the call for peace.

"We can guarantee there won’t be any violence from our end, and we just wanted to let him know we’re supporting this," said Jada, a "Big Sis" with MOB PIRU and founder of the non-profit group Nine Women Strong. "I intend on speaking to a couple of the other brothers from the other sets this evening. I believe that it’s gonna be a real quiet day in Newark.”

Jada asked that her name be withheld.

A member of the 135PIRUML Bloods, who asked to only be identified as Jiwe, said he would reach out to contacts in various gang sets to push the call for calm. While he acknowledged it's an unrealistic hope, Jiwe said it shouldn't take the death of a pop star to stymie the bloodshed in Newark.

"I wish we could do it every damn day, but I’m gonna send the word out to some cats on the street, they should really kick up hoping that nothing’s gonna happen," said Jiwe, whose mother attended New Hope Baptist Church with the Houstons. "I’ll send the word out. It’s crazy that something like this would get us to even do something like this, because obviously what you want is for generally nothing to happen.”

Johnson said he's received calls from several other gang leaders who said they agreed with the sentiment of his Wednesday night Facebook post.

“Whitney Houston did a lot for the community, so I feel as though everybody owes her this at least," he said. "I don’t condone the violence any other days, but that day right there ... If I’m ready to step up, all the other leaders should be ready to step up.”

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/02/on_day_of_whitney_houstons_fun.html

I just done watching the first half an hour i missed from the live stream and i am still overwhelmed by the sheer beauty and spirit of the event. It did Whitney's life and talent justice. It was of course a celebration of her life, as it should have been - marvelous testimonies, superb performances and awesome sermons.

I feel sooo sad for her mother and daughter and her entire family. I don't dare imagine what they are goin' through right now. I was cryin' throughout most of the service, same as on last Sunday when i heard about her death. I'm still in shock and can't believe she is gone.

The whole ceremony naturally brought back memories of that July 7[SUP]th[/SUP] service, but also of James Brown's funeral in 2006. No matter what though, life and love are much stronger forces than death.

God rest Whitney's beautiful soul and comfort those who knew and loved her best and also those who appreciated her gift which she shared so selflessly. God is great!

"I wish we could do it every damn day, but I’m gonna send the word out to some cats on the street, they should really kick up hoping that nothing’s gonna happen," said Jiwe, whose mother attended New Hope Baptist Church with the Houstons. "I’ll send the word out. It’s crazy that something like this would get us to even do something like this, because obviously what you want is for generally nothing to happen.”

“Whitney Houston did a lot for the community, so I feel as though everybody owes her this at least," he said. "I don’t condone the violence any other days, but that day right there ... If I’m ready to step up, all the other leaders should be ready to step up.”

Had no idea about the gang violence in Newark. Such senseless things - why does it take a tragedy for people to do the right thing, even if only for a day? Shouldn't we be declaring war on sin rather than aiming at each other mercilessly???

God bless Newark with peace and harmony on its streets and not just today...

Re: Whitney Houston Funeral (Today at 11:30 AM ET/12 PM ET)

Beautiful service. God was glorified throughout the whole entire thing. The whole world got a feel of the old-school Baptist black church feel today.

Kevin Costner Remembers Whitney Houston: 'You Were Great' (VIDEO)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...-whitney-houston_n_1286699.html?ref=celebrity

Kevin Costner was among the list of high-profile figures who spoke at Whitney Houston's funeral service, held Saturday at New Hope Baptist Church.

In a speech that was both somber and poignant, the 57-year-old actor recalled anecdotes from shooting 1992's "The Bodyguard." The film was the singer's first movie role and also helped establish Houston as one of the world's most preeminent singers, featuring a Houston-led soundtrack that sold more than 42 million copies worldwide and a career-defining performance of "I Will Always Love You."

"At the height of her fame as a singer I asked her to be my costar in a movie called 'The Bodyguard.' I thought she was the perfect choice. But the red flags came out immediately. Maybe I should think this over a bit. I was reminded that this would be her first acting role. We could also think about another singer, was a suggestion. Maybe somebody white... Nobody said it out loud, but it was a fair question. It was. There would be a lot riding on this. Maybe a more experienced actress would be the way to go. It was clear that I had really had to think about this," Costner said.
"I told everyone that I had taken notice that Whitney was black," he added, to some laughter.

"It was the burden that made her great, and the part that caused her to stumble in end. Whitney, if you could hear me now, I would tell you, you weren't just good enough, you were great. You sang the whole damn song without a band. You made the picture what it was. A lot of leading men could have played my part, a lot of guys could have filled that role. But you Whitney, I truly believe, were the only one who could have played Rachel Marron at that time. You weren't just pretty. You were as beautiful as a woman could be. And people just didn't like you, Whitney. They loved you."

Coster also shared that he and Houston had both been raised in the Baptist Church.
"[Whitney] and I had a lot in common. I know many at this moment are thinking, really? 'She's a girl, you're a boy. You're white, she's black. We heard you like to sing, but our sister could really sing,'" Costner said, adding that one of Houston's favorite stories of Costner involved him growing up as a young boy in church.

It was a beautiful service that celebrated the life of one of god's most beautiful and talented beings. I laughed. I cried. Oh how I cried. Especially when they brought the casket out at the end and "I Will Always Love You" was playing. I couldn't take it, I started crying so much.

It all became so real then. I can't believe this angelic voice and soul is now silenced forever.

But Whitney will always live on through her music and in the hearts of her family, friends and fans.

Well done service.

I LOVE YOU WHITNEY

YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

I don't know how her mother or daughter managed to walk out of there. Cissy needed some assistance but I'm surprised she didn't fall to her knees listening to her daughter's booming voice as she followed her casket. Heartbreaking.

What a tragic loss. She touched so many people with her graceful voice. I will always love her and remember her.

I was in tears during most of the service, but also really listened to what was said about the 'real' Whitney.
She will be missed but we are fortunate to have her artistry to remind us of the great talent she was and always will be.

Thoughts and prayers to her family

I don't know how her mother or daughter managed to walk out of there. Cissy needed some assistance but I'm surprised she didn't fall to her knees listening to her daughter's booming voice as she followed her casket. Heartbreaking.
That's exactly what I was feeling.
An article says she was wailing and shouting "My baby!":(
The casket being carried out, while I Will Always Love You playing, the whole thing musta been too much to handle, esp. if you're a family member or close friend.

Watched R.Kelly's tribute as well.
He is the one who wrote I Look To You for her.
He was struggling a lot because of grief, but he pulled it off.

^^^ Had no idea he wrote I turn to you. Wonderful song and all the more poignant now. God bless him, he did great. All the people who 'performed' were amazing, although testified would be a better word for it; such a terribly difficult moment for everyone, but there was something about Robert's moment that simply blew me away. He is a wonderful songwriter, God bless him.

Definitely a big loss. Not many big time stars like that left. Most left behind are imitators and wannabes of MJ and Whitney. Sad to say but true. EVERY single big voiced diva out there and every male pop star artist out there are biting their style (and not usually in a flattering way).

Whitney-Houston-Michael-Jackson-RIP-Heaven-Illustration.jpg

The end with her song playing while the casket was being carried up the isle and her mother following behind was just so sad.

Yes, very sad indeed. :(

MsCassieMollie, I love that photo in your signature. They both look so beautiful.

As of right now, this looks to be a tragic accident. Whitney was relaxing in the tub and drifted off (Xanax use or not, it's LEGAL) and unfortunately slipped under the water and now we have lost a legendary vocalist like no other. Whitney Houston was the benchmark and always will be. In this time of terrible sorrow, we should be remembering her contributions and humanity - not the nitty gritty dirty details. It's too soon.

I don't want to say too much because as of right now we don't even know what killed her, or if Xanax (or anything else) even played any role, but as a general comment, just because something is legal doesn't mean it isn't dangerous or addictive. Benzodiazepines, particularly the more potent ones like xanax and valium, have the potential to become addictive, even when people aren't intending to abuse them. Combining them with other depressants, such as alcohol, amplifies their effect, and can potentially slow down respiratory functions, etc. and become lethal. Mixing medication with alcohol actually causes a lot of deaths [and not just with benzodiazepines, but with other things like opiates and even some over-the-counter medications such as Tylenol], which is why they have to remind people on medication labels not to mix their medication with alcohol.

Reports say Whitney drank a bit before she died, but no alcohol was actually found in her room, though, AFAIK. But like I said, I'm just offering that as a general commentary. I'm not going to say anything specific about the circumstances of Whitney's death because we don't even have a full autopsy at the moment, so anything I could say would just be useless speculation.

I do not agree with this, they were not a like at all.
I think it's because both were famous black singers and ridiculed by the media. Both didn't know to handle it and were hurt by the jokes. Both were very successful. Both were shy and loved their fans, family and loved ones incredibly much. Both loved their mother so freaking much.

I think it's because both were famous black singers and ridiculed by the media. Both didn't know to handle it and were hurt by the jokes. Both were very successful. Both were shy and loved their fans, family and loved ones incredibly much. Both loved their mother so freaking much.

NO.

But this isn't the right thread and most certainly not the right moment to discuss that.

Back