Who is in your opinion the queen of pop?

I would have to say Britney Spears. Yeah she hasnt done great recently but shes the one who everyone wonders about.
Shes much more liked than Madonna ever was.

Please! Should I mention sales stats of 200 million albums sold, or the fact the Madonna has been going 20 years and had 63 Top 20 hits in the UK. Or the fact that she writes & produces her own stuff and sings live.

I feel very much for Britney on a personal level and she has had some good songs, but they've been written and produced for her and all she's done is turn up in a studio and lay down the vocals. Speaking of which...well, put it this way, I have never heard her sing live.

Sorry, didn't mean to be dismissive of an artist you like, but to say she's more liked than Madonna...

Please! Should I mention sales stats of 200 million albums sold, or the fact the Madonna has been going 20 years and had 63 Top 20 hits in the UK. Or the fact that she writes & produces her own stuff and sings live.

I feel very much for Britney on a personal level and she has had some good songs, but they've been written and produced for her and all she's done is turn up in a studio and lay down the vocals. Speaking of which...well, put it this way, I have never heard her sing live.

Sorry, didn't mean to be dismissive of an artist you like, but to say she's more liked than Madonna...

Im talking about WITHOUT the personal things happening to her.
If Britney had never gone down the road shes on right now everyone would still think she is amazing.

Im talking about WITHOUT the personal things happening to her.
If Britney had never gone down the road shes on right now everyone would still think she is amazing.

Okay, but I never mentioned the personal stuff. Compare their respective output - no contest. Talent wise they're incomparable.

Okay, but I never mentioned the personal stuff. Compare their respective output - no contest. Talent wise they're incomparable.

U think Madonna is more talented than Britney? Even during Britneys era of when she was the best one out there?

I've heard Britney sings without the studio effects and stuff, and she's amazing. She sounds even better out of the studio than she does on CD. The F her voice up or something in production. I don't why. They should just leave it be. She has a beautiful voice. But the same can't be said for Madonna. There's a video I saw on YouTube of her rehearsing for a concert and instead of singing to playback she was just singing live and it was the most awful, tuneless thing I have ever heard.

U think Madonna is more talented than Britney? Even during Britneys era of when she was the best one out there?

Of course. Like I said, apart from singing, she does nothing to create the music. The music would exist without her, she's just the performer.

It actually is :lol:
That song and video pretty much changed the course of pop music.

I dont like things she does and says but uve gotta give credit where credit is due...in her time she was untouchable.
It dosent matter what age they are to be called that - i mean its just my opinion that she deserves that name. If you ask people who they like better (disregarding their personal/public antics) ill bet they would say they liked Britney over Madonna.

no WAAAAAAAY!
come on,let's be realistic. here in my country at least, NO ONE would pick Britney over Madonna. Come on, I do give her credit, but Madonna has had more hits and she is better known.

Do you even really have to ask? Madonna has been in the business for over 25 years now and is still on top. She's the most successful female artist in history and has more hits than any other. The name, Madonna, itself is infamous. There are those before and there are those after but none come close to the global impact of this one woman. Her last album and tour broke records across the world and Forbes just named her the top grossing act of 2007 [and she didn't even have any releases]. Madonna's catalog is incredibly strong and will be bringing in the dough long after she's gone. I'm a Britney fan and while she's obviously one of the biggest names in pop this past decade she doesn't even come close to Madonna's popularity or cultural impact. There really isn't any substantial comparison between the two. Madonna is no doubt a pop legend [hence being inducted her first year eligible] and is imho a much more talented artist than ever given credit for.

Here's a link to Madonna's many mind boggling achievements:
http://madonna.y2u.co.uk/Madonna_Awards.html

Last edited:
Do you even really have to ask? Madonna has been in the business for over 25 years now and is still on top. She's the most successful female artist in history and has more hits than any other. The name, Madonna, itself is infamous. There are those before and there are those after but none come close to the global impact of this one woman. Her last album and tour broke records across the world and Forbes just named her the top grossing act of 2007 [and she didn't even have any releases]. Madonna's catalog is incredibly strong and will be bringing in the dough long after she's gone. I'm a Britney fan and while she's obviously one of the biggest names in pop this past decade she doesn't even come close to Madonna's popularity or cultural impact. There really isn't any substantial comparison between the two. Madonna is no doubt a pop legend [hence being inducted her first year eligible] and is imho a much more talented artist than ever given credit for.

Here's a link to Madonna's many mind boggling achievements:
http://madonna.y2u.co.uk/Madonna_Awards.html

^_^Madonna is an iconic woman.

She was a certified has been before she kissed Britney at the VMAs. After that her popularity sky rocketed because of the controversy it created. Meanwhile, Britney was equally as famous before and after the kiss. Madonna needed that kiss more than Britney did.

She was a certified has been before she kissed Britney at the VMAs. After that her popularity sky rocketed because of the controversy it created. Meanwhile, Britney was equally as famous before and after the kiss. Madonna needed that kiss more than Britney did.

Baloney! Confessions on a dance floor has sold 14 million copies. Blackout will go nowhere near that. If the VMAs proved anything it's that Madonna still rules over today's young pretenders.

Very true :yes:

I wonder if these differences of opinion are because you're in America (I presume) where Madonna has received virtually no airplay with her last 2 albums.

I don't know why, unless it's backlash over her American Life video.

Confessions was massive in the rest of the world and really put her back on top.

Baloney! Confessions on a dance floor has sold 14 million copies. Blackout will go nowhere near that. If the VMAs proved anything it's that Madonna still rules over today's young pretenders.

You can't compare the two artists' latest album sales because they were both released long after the VMAs. Especially since the Britney album you used for the comparison, Blackout, was released during the time the internatinal media was hounding her and treating her like a dog. While when COADF was released, Madonna was treated like a "Queen" by the media. So to be fair, let's look at both their album sales before and after the VMA's kiss.

PRE VMAs
Britney Spears - Britney: 9 million copies worldwide
Madonna - American Life: 5 million copies worldwide

POST VMAs
Britney Spears - In The Zone: 6 million copies worldwide
Madonna - Confessions on a Dance Floor: 8 million copies worldwide

So as you can see, before the VMAs, Britney was far more popular and bigger selling than Madonna. Because of the VMA's controversy, Madonna's popularity, and in turn her record sales, increased with her next album. So Madonna needed that kiss, Britney didn't. Britney was already doing extremely well and if anything the VMAs hurt her record sales.

You've chosen one album that was badly recieved critically and commercially. For the record I think American Life is Madonna's best album.

Let's face it, Britney (and remember I do like her, I'm not bashing here!) will never release ground breaking stuff such as:

Like A Prayer
Music
Ray Of Light
Take A Bow
Papa Don't Preach
Express Yourself
American Life
Hung Up
Rain

etc, etc, etc

I repeat 63 singles (59 Top 10).

The only Britney singles that will be remembered in 20 years are Baby...One More Time & Toxic and I repeat my original point, she only provided the vocals. Madonna wrote or co-wrote all of those songs quoted above.

You've chosen one album that was badly recieved critically and commercially.
No. I choose the album that she release before the VMAs so I could compare it to the album she released after the VMAs so I could show how much the VMAs controversy boosted her popularity.

The only Britney singles that will be remembered in 20 years are Baby...One More Time & Toxic and I repeat my original point, she only provided the vocals. Madonna wrote or co-wrote all of those songs quoted above.
There's no such think as just providing vocals unless you're a backing singer. People underestimated how much a singer can change a song. People give songwriters too much credit. What songwriters do is basically write a song. What singers do, and the other musicians who play the song do, is give the song feeling, passion, emotion and attitude. Baby One More Time would be a different song if Madonna sung it. It would have a very different feel to it. I also think a lot people don't understand how many singers are actually more like uncredited songwriters. So many singers while their recording the songs change lyrics, phrasing and even make melodic changes if they think it's better. So I don't think any professional singer just provides vocals. They pretty much make or break a song if you ask me.

Very true :yes:

Very untrue. Whether Madonna is a hit or not on the charts [which she is more often than not] she is still Madonna. No one can take away what she has done in the entertainment industry. No one. It's like calling Mike a has been just because he lies dormant for long bouts. It's highway robbery! Though American Life did poorly in the states [however, KILLED on the dance charts] it still sold 5 million copies worldwide and her Reinvention Tour was hugely successful. From Madonna adopting to Madonna drinking Kaballah water...... she is always in the media eye. People want to know what she is up to and the buzz on her new album is at a fever pitch.

P.S. To George, I respect your right to an opinion but you are completely ignoring facts in favor of your own bias. The Queen of Pop, Madonna or Britney? Come on! It's a no-brainer. If you wanna have a serious discussion on this, wait another 15 years.

Last edited:
I'm not actually arguing Britney's case for the QoP. I'm just saying she is immensely popular and there was a time when Madonna needed here to boost record sales. But I'm not saying she's the QoP. I don't like titles like that in music. I don't even like the fact that Michael is called the KoP. It's just stupid.

I'm not actually arguing Britney's case for the QoP. I'm just saying she is immensely popular and there was a time when Madonna needed here to boost record sales. But I'm not saying she's the QoP. I don't like titles like that in music. I don't even like the fact that Michael is called the KoP. It's just stupid.

Yes, but does she have the staying power of 25+ years? Madonna has been on the top of the charts since 1982; Britney has only been around for eight years.

I'm not arguing with you that Britney isn't talented, because she is. All I'm saying is that Madonna is more iconic than Britney, since she's had more hits over a longer period of time.

^ I still don't know why we're arguing over Madonna and Britney when if you were going to give the (silly) QOP crown to anyone it'd be Kylie.

Kylie isn't well known around the entire world nor does she have the stats to support the claim. Sorry. I'm a fan of Kylie's as well, but she is far from the QoP. Madonna wins hands down. No contest. There are two stars who have outshone every other post Elvis and Beatles...... and that's MJ and Madonna- LEGENDARY ICONS. There ain't a corner of this earth that don't know those names. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Last edited:
Madonna's biggest selling studio album is Like a Virgin which sold 10 million copies worldwide. Kylie's biggest selling studio album is Fever which sold 9 million copies worldwide. Not a lot of difference. I'd say they're both equally as popular. Maybe we should wait and she which album sells more, X or Licorice. I think we can all pretty much guess what the outcome will be.

But aside from record sales, Kylie is also a much better role model and all round a much better person than Madonna. Kylie didn't have to pose nude and do semi-erotic movies to keep her name in the press. She doesn't rely on controversy to sell her music like Madonna does. Kylie's a battler and how she has overcome difficulties in her life is admirable. She's the whole package. A talented performer, a successful recording artist, a great actress and a positive role model. All Madonna has going for is her success.

Last edited:
MADONNA

Hands down, she is has to be named the QOP. She's only second to Michael IMO for revolutionizing music through her stage performance, video, music and media.

-D

This is crazy, and we ain't gonna convince each other. But no-one looks at Kylie & Britney for inspiration they look at Madonna.

Both Kylie & Britney's careers are modelled on Madonna's from their stage shows to their songs to their videos.

Just like Usher, Timberlake, Chris Brown etc are modelled on Jackson's.

Michael & Madonna are the template that all other pop stars use. Fact.

No, Michael's the artist all pop stars fashion themselves after, even Madonna. Half her songs are Jackson-rip-offs. She would never have gotten into videos the way she did if Michael didn't lead the way.

Though I'm no Madonna fan by any means, her contributions to mainstream pop and the image of pop is so strong and will last for so long that not calling her the queen is hard to fathom to me. Whether directly or indirectly, her blueprint has been an influence on a plethora on many females vying to be pop stars, and even when Madonna has great-grandchildren, the blue print she set forth will most likely still be in effect for females looking to either start a career or even prolong a career in pop.

Michael & Madonna are the template that all other pop stars use. Fact.
...and I think that it'll be this way for many more years to come.

Last edited:
Back