Who is in your opinion the queen of pop?

Madonna's biggest selling studio album is Like a Virgin which sold 10 million copies worldwide. Kylie's biggest selling studio album is Fever which sold 9 million copies worldwide. Not a lot of difference. I'd say they're both equally as popular. Maybe we should wait and she which album sells more, X or Licorice. I think we can all pretty much guess what the outcome will be.

But aside from record sales, Kylie is also a much better role model and all round a much better person than Madonna. Kylie didn't have to pose nude and do semi-erotic movies to keep her name in the press. She doesn't rely on controversy to sell her music like Madonna does. Kylie's a battler and how she has overcome difficulties in her life is admirable. She's the whole package. A talented performer, a successful recording artist, a great actress and a positive role model. All Madonna has going for is her success.

Why are you so defensive? It's a losing argument and it's as though you are taking it personally. You are ignoring and blurring facts to appease your own ideals. It's obvious you are not a fan and feel threatened by Madonna's career and success. You have resorted to distortion and nasty comments. There is no denying Madonna's power and influence in the world of pop. You'd be a fool otherwise. Kylie, Britney, and on and on and on..... not even close. Not even. You know this. We all know this. Madonna and Michael Jackson are the two biggest icons in music bar none. How anyone can argue or deny their influence/importance is mind boggling. And MJ barely revolutionized anything? Same with Madonna? I'll just stop right there. No need bother replying. :wacko:

P.S. Where do you get your "facts" from? Stop quoting numbers on Madonna's career because you are incredibly inaccurate. Example: Like a Virgin has sold 19 million copies world wide [not 10] and Confessions has sold 12 million worldwide. Her biggest selling album is The Immaculate Collection which has sold 22 millions copies worldwide.

Last edited:
Honestly, though I am both American & from Madonna's home state of MI...

I am forced to tell the truth here today! I am an 80's brat & I have long felt that the defining POP Diva both of that era & reining Queen is ****
********:wub:
Annie Lenox!

When I refer to her as a 'diva', I'm not speaking to how well she can work the press, but rather the complete package in terms of her many talents. She is versatile, has stage presence, & musical abilities which have allowed her to collaborate successfully with other artist. She has done many covers, but is able to make each song uniquely her own, (this is sign of a true artist).

Last edited:
Madonna obviously. She's the only female artist that has remained commercially successful worldwide since the start. It also helps that every album she's released since the start has actually been filled with at least one hugely successful song....

Name one thing Madonna revolutionized.

hmmm isn't it more that a revolution would get a queen down??? *giggle*

No seriously Madonna is the true queen of pop.

Just like the queen in the UK... a small minority really wants to be royalists only... but she's still there and if she'll not die she'll probably will be forever! lol

Well I don't know... many ppl want to talk Madonna down... but well she's still there. Probably the most successfull female pop act for a long time, that's just it.

Last edited:
It has to be Madonna. The only artist that comes close to MJ. Muscially and in terms of achievement.

Now in terms of record breaking achievements, she is the one that comes closest to Michael, but still falls well short, and musically, in comparison to Michael, Madonna falls flat on her face. There is no comparison artistically speaking. Even the most talented people fall short of the kind of talent Michael has.

But in terms of who you could name the Queen of Pop, its most definitely Madonna. She's a massive star and it can't be denied that she has broad, broad appeal across the board. More then Britney, more then any other female artist. I think she's a lot smarter then Britney while Britney has maybe a slightly better voice, though not much better, weaker material and is maybe a somewhat better dancer, though that could be argued, niether are what I would call good.

You really have to look at what the term "pop" means. It mean popular, popularity, King or Queen of popularity. Applying King or Queen of Pop to anyone should be based on how popular they are, more so then on how talented they are, I suppose. That's why I feel the name King of Pop seriously does not accurately describe Michael. He is so much more then a popular name. He's the definition of what an artist is supposed to be. But the term also applies to him since he has sold more albums and broken more records then any other solo artist in history. Meaning he too is the most popular. Unusual for the most talented and the most popular to be one in the same, but it happened in this instance, partly because the world has never seen a talent like Michael and because he has an enigmatic personality and is appealing as a person.

And to say Michael hasn't revolutionized anything is silly. He's changed the way the industry handles almost everything, from touring, to stage design, to promotion, to music, to dance. He changed the expectations of what a recording artists is supposed to do. He raised the bar so high that it had to be lowered by replacing quality with quantity of talents just to compete, etc... He changed the way the game is played, both directly and indirectly.

But for woman, Madonna fits the bill for most popular, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I aint really fond of maddona but yeah she desevres it, saying that Britney deserves it more than maddona is a joke if you ask me...

I can't believe some people in here are actually suggesting that Britney Spears is in the same category as Madonna, how insulting to Madonna. That's like saying Justin or Usher are in the same category as Michael. Most people don't think Britney is amazing or some great talent 'cause she's not. What she HAD going for her was good, catchy pop songs, great videos, good performances and above all else an image that pre-teen's and teen girls (her main audience) could relate to and of course she was a fantasy for many boys so that sexy image really helped her.

Now i've said this many times, Although i'm a big fan of Madonna and I can admit that she is not what you'd call a great "natural talent", she's not a great singer or dancer but you can't deny the impact she's had on pop culture. She is the biggest female pop star ever and she didn't get where she is on image alone, she has recorded some of the best pop songs ever and is a good performer who is always reienventing hereslf and changing with the times. You don't have to like Madonna, but to deny her impact and achievements is just wrong. You know some of y'all would be freaking out if someone said Michael wasn't the King of Pop or that he was a "has been" or whatever so I think it's VERY hypocritical of Michael fans to be calling Madonna a has been . She's been much more active in the music business than he's been in recent years.

The thing with Madonna is that many people thought she would fade after a few years, but she didn't and proved many of the nay sayers wrong. I'm sure most are shocked that she's lasted as long as she has. Not many can say they've been as successful as Madonna and for so long too and just like there will NEVER be another Michael Jackson, there will NEVER be another Madonna either. Give the woman some credit.

Last edited:
Madonna of couse, no question:yes:

I don't like her much, tough, but she's the queen of pop!

I can't believe some people in here are actually suggesting that Britney Spears is in the same category as Madonna, how insulting to Madonna. That's like saying Justin or Usher are in the same category as Michael. Most people don't think Britney is amazing or some great talent 'cause she's not. What she HAD going for her was good, catchy pop songs, great videos, good performances and above all else an image that pre-teen's and teen girls (her main audience) could relate to and of course she was a fantasy for many boys so that sexy image really helped her.

Now i've said this many times, Although i'm a big fan of Madonna and I can admit that she is not what you'd call a great "natural talent", she's not a great singer or dancer but you can't deny the impact she's had on pop culture. She is the biggest female pop star ever and she didn't get where she is on image alone, she has recorded some of the best pop songs ever and is a good performer who is always reienventing hereslf and changing with the times. You don't have to like Madonna, but to deny her impact and achievements is just wrong. You know some of y'all would be freaking out if someone said Michael wasn't the King of Pop or that he was a "has been" or whatever so I think it's VERY hypocritical of Michael fans to be calling Madonna a has been . She's been much more active in the music business than he's been in recent years.

The thing with Madonna is that many people thought she would fade after a few years, but she didn't and proved many of the nay sayers wrong. I'm sure most are shocked that she's lasted as long as she has. Not many can say they've been as successful as Madonna and for so long too and just like there will NEVER be another Michael Jackson, there will NEVER be another Madonna either. Give the woman some credit.

Nicely done! Thank you.

madonna is bigger than britney, but the way britney has been popularized and always talked about these days ,,who knows she might become equal level. both technically cant sing. one gets controversy over sexualized things and britney the same when she popped out on to the scene, and now britney gets controversy over her mental state and partying .. but either way they both basically get the most talked about controversy and have the same talent levels. they both again have no true singing voice like michael though their fellow pop singer has..

but whats weird about madonna for a pop singer......is she cant really dance, even britney is better than her at it. so really she simply had good songs and a neat way of dressing.

janet jackson on the other hand...... actually can sing better than both britney and madonna put together and can dance...... was never really considered the better pop singer? hmm

then again madonnas songs alone revival most of janets songs in popular culture. and madonna even though she couldnt really sing.... had an interesting unique singing voice nontheless.

so great songs wise........... madonna ends up winning.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd agree with Kylie Minogue...when I used to live in Europe I listened to her all the time lol.

I mean, when you say "pop", her music is pure pop.

Name one thing Madonna revolutionized.

Erm...voguing?

Last edited:
Madonna made it possible for women to be more than just a pretty face. She proved that not only can you be sexy but also intelligent. Madonna explored areas of human sexuality, society, and taboo like no other dared. Madonna made the world talk about issues like homosexuality, hiv/aids, abortion, etc. Her music and videos inspired and influenced an entire generation. She was almost as important to MTV as MJ was [read: almost]. She's certainly the most important woman in MTV's history. No one took music videos more seriously than Michael Jackson and Madonna. Whether anyone likes it or not, no other woman comes close to the iconic Madonna. The name alone says it all, Madonna.

Last edited:
  • Pop culture,
  • Pop music industry
  • Fashion industry
  • Music videos
I enjoy Janet but when it comes to the above, it is Madonna.

Michael Jackson and Madonna are the only two people that I consider as megastars.

Whitney Houston, Diana Ross, Janet Jackson, Madonna and Mariah Carey.

If you say Queen of Pop I instantly think of Madonna.
She is not nesesserily as good a singer as Janet, Whitney, Mariah and Diana but she is probably the biggest international star out of them.
Janet is another who I could call the Queen of Pop.

I have love for all the ladies so it's definitely not out of disrespect. All have played their roles and played them well.

Madonna made it possible for women to be more than just a pretty face. She proved that not only can you be sexy but also intelligent. Madonna explored areas of human sexuality, society, and taboo like no other dared. Madonna made the world talk about issues like homosexuality, hiv/aids, abortion, etc. Her music and videos inspired and influenced an entire generation. She was almost as important to MTV as MJ was [read: almost]. She's certainly the most important woman in MTV's history. No one took music videos more seriously than Michael Jackson and Madonna. Whether anyone likes it or not, no other woman comes close to the iconic Madonna. The name alone says it all, Madonna.

Your POLITICALLY INCORRECT and I'm very sorry to say this. It doesn't matter HOW LONG you've been in the business. What matters is the influence you made on the music industry and the innovations that you accomplished.
*Sigh*
I don't care if I get flamed for this but this is the BLOODY truth. I honestly find Madonna "ok" but for the REALITY of her stardom and why she is where she is, is because Madonna did what she had to do to get on top. Madonna's voice is not all of that. She can't really sing. She made alot of radio- friendly music. If Madonna influence anything she started a pattern that is ONE of the reason's why MUSIC OF TODAY SUCKS SOO BAD.She made it so artists who just have a IMAGE that sells can get by. Their ass can get a record deal and people can brainwash the public into thinking that, that artist is the ish when there not in reality. She had the mass appeal to sell to millions. She sold sex, she sold a image and she was able to manipulate the public with revienting her self. Her music to be frankly honest is ALL crap and she never really did anything INNOVATIVE for the music industry. Just because you sell millions doesn't mean that the music is good, that means people brought the music thats not grading the quality of the music. I also think you smoking indian PIPE, cocaine, drinking wine etc if you even think MADONNA is in MICHAEL JACKSON'S category because she's not. She was mainstream ish that sold to millions. Just about all mainstream music is crap anyway. The only descent music was Michael Jackson's and Prince. Madonna is just mainstream garbage for mass appeal. She did what she had to do to get on top. She sold a image. Her videos, music etc was ish. She copied people ahd she wasn't innovative. I'm not hatin, just had to get that out there.

You can say whatever you want to say. I'm not gonna try to change your mind. I'm sure it was made up long ago. You say you ain't hatin' but you disrespect her fans by discrediting Madonna's relevance and even the music itself by calling it all "crap". Sounds hateful to me. Well, to each their own but Madonna is the one with the last laugh at the end of the day. No skin off her back or mine. Just know your opinion isn't the gospel so don't present it as such.

Last edited:
You can say whatever you want to say. I'm not gonna try to change your mind. I'm sure it was made up long ago. You say you ain't hatin' but you disrespect her fans by discrediting Madonna's relevance and even the music itself by calling it all "crap". Sounds hateful to me. Well, to each their own but Madonna is the one with the last laugh at the end of the day. No skin off her back or mine. Just know your opinion isn't the gospel so don't present it as such.

I'm not asking you to agree with me. Its the TRUTH. I exactly really find Madonna okay, I know alot of people who really don't take her and music seriously. Just because somebody is just being real with it doesn't mean there hatin. I'm sick and tired of people always saying your hatin just because its the real truth. I don't know what you read but I never once disrespected anybody. Thats how YOU took it because your a fan. Her music is not relevant and her voice is not up to part. Im just being HONEST and I'm sorry if the truth hurts. What you need to realize is not everybody is going to LIKE Madonna or any artist that you like of that matter and YOU need to respect that. I'm not being hateful at all, I'm being honest. She did what she had to do to get by. Just about everything that she had done or did had already been done and since you care so greatly I would like for you to please tell what innovations she made as far as dance and music that HAD not been done before her time??? ahhh nothing...

It's your opinion. There's a difference. You may find it to be true but I do not. You sound high on the horse. Take it down a notch. I'm not trying to change your mind. Moving on....

If you say Queen of Pop I instantly think of Madonna.
She is not nesesserily as good a singer as Janet, Whitney, Mariah and Diana but she is probably the biggest international star out of them.
Janet is another who I could call the Queen of Pop.

I'm sorry but Janet can NOT sing.

Queen of Pop? Madonna, hands down.

She may not be overly talented, but the woman has the power, creativity, persistance and courage that make her an icon. Still, after all these years. She's very intelligent and a tough business-lady. Madonna knows that her potential as an artist is limited, but she has made the best out of what she has.

I'm sorry but Janet can NOT sing.

Queen of Pop? Madonna, hands down.

She may not be overly talented, but the woman has the power, creativity, persistance and courage that make her an icon. Still, after all these years. She's very intelligent and a tough business-lady. Madonna knows that her potential as an artist is limited, but she has made the best out of what she has.

I admit Madonna isn't incredibly gifted vocally however she still can attack all types of music and do it well. The main thing about Madonna is that she VERY creative. Always moving forward and on to the next thing. Her mind is her greatest asset.

For the sheer impact she had on the music industry, no one comes even close to Diana Ross. We wouldn't be talking about Whitney or Janet today if not for Miss Ross.

For the sheer impact she had on the music industry, no one comes even close to Diana Ross. We wouldn't be talking about Whitney or Janet today if not for Miss Ross.

I understand what you are saying. Diana is sorely underrated. I'm afraid she is one of those talents who won't get the full recognition they deserve until they are long gone.

I really don't see it with Ross. She's can't sing unduly well, doesn't write, produce or dance. She was simply in the right place at the right time.

Don't get me wrong, I have respect for anyone who has stood the test of time but like Cliff Richard, I don't see what they have done but had good songs given to them.

To repeat what I said way earlier un the thread about Madonna, she may not be the best at any of the things she does (and she admits this herself) but she does many things very well. Namely singing, songwriting, producing, dancing. Her stage shows are awesome and the quality of her back catalogue speaks for herself. She never went off the rails a la Britney, Amy etc. the closest she's come to losing it as in the early '90s with the Sex book and she paid the price for that.

Her next album and single will almost certainly go to Number One and that's not just becuase she's still living off past glories it will be because of the quality of the music, the same reason Hung Up was one of her biggest ever hits.

Back