Who Is The Biggest MJ Wannabe?

Eighthnoterojo said:
MJ always brought something new to moves he borrowed from others, and improved them; applied them in new ways. And did them way better than others as well. I think if these wannabees were able to add something new and better to the mix, or at least something different, then one could give them props. But they don't. Why? Because they can't! Seems no one can...

Exactly! Well said.

When I watch a Michael Jackson performance, the only person I think of is Michael. Not James Brown or Sammy Davis Jr. or Fred Astaire, just Mike. Whereas with most of these younger artists today, when I watch their performances I think of Michael, I think of Prince and whoever else they've been inspired by. You can't look at Michael and say that there's ever been a performer or entertainer like him in the history of entertainment because there hasn't. He brought something new to the table. These artists today aren't and i'm not trying to be mean or whatever because I like Chris Brown, Omarion, Usher and others but that's the truth. They are not doing anything that hasn't been done already. When you watch Michael it's almost like watching a magic show sometimes. He really knew how to set himself apart from the rest of pack and that's one of the reasons he has lasted in the music business for as long as he has.

MJ got some moves from the unknown people, the kid's off the streets.

True! Kids were doing dances like "The Moonwalk" and "The Robot" well before Michael made them popular.

Last edited:
Explain more?

Moonwalk, Backslide, sidewalk, the robot, all from the streets.

The James brown moves MJ does, are from the streets.
They may have been from the streets but the whole world were not seeing it until MJ put it on stage or put it in his voideo. Yes, when the street kids in Algeria was dancing to the moonwalk, they were dancing to MJ's moonwalk, not some kids in the bronx.:p here is another attempt to strip |MJ of everything he has achieved.

Last edited:
They may have been from the streets but the whole world were not seeing it until MJ put it on stage or put it in his voideo. Yes, when the street kids in Algeria was dancing to the moonwalk, they were dancing to MJ's moonwalk, not some kids in the bronx.:p here is another attempt to strip |MJ of everything he has achieved.

I was talking bout the children with amazing talent to create these moves, MJ showed it to the masses, rather simple to me.

but booooy michael made it so cool and fun to watch.

and i think the solo dancing in this video of JT is pretty dam good and i've never seen that before, i love the different was he does the standing on the toes thing, that elvis then MJ did.

Last edited:
I was talking bout the children with amazing talent to create these moves, MJ showed it to the masses, rather simple to me.

but booooy michael made it so cool and fun to watch.
No kid was more equipped with amazing talent than MJ. He was doing James brown better than james brown. What is your point? MJ was one of the kids in the streets until he became famous. He simply brought what he knew to the stage. We all saw him do it at the audition. Who was dancing better than 9 year old MJ. Why aren't they famous? MJ brought dance to the masses. He had the whole world trying to dance like him, still to this day. What is your point. Who cares who invented it. MJ brought it to the masses.:)

Last edited:
No kid was more equipped with amazing talent than MJ. He was doing James brown better than james brown. What is your point? MJ was one of the kids in the streets until he became famous. He simply brought what he knew to the stage. We all saw him do it at the audition. Who was dancing better than 9 year old MJ. Why aren't they famous? MJ brought dance to the masses. He had the whole world trying to dance like him, still to this day. What is your point. Who cares who invented it. MJ brought it to the masses.:)

'Who cares who invented it.'

I do.

My point is I care about who invented the moves that MJ does. simple, really

There's a difference between taking a few moves from different sources (and then emulating it to fit with YOUR style that YOU created), which is what michael does....and taking someone's STYLE AND MOVES and making a career out of it. Yes everything in dance has come from something else. But people like Michael and Prince are one of a kind. You don't look at a Michael Jackson performance and automatically think "OO! That's SOOO James Brown"...unless he's doing a straight up James brown move, like the footworking and stuff. You don't look at a WHOLE concert of MJ's and think..."MAN THAT'S totally JAMES BROWN!" And James Brown himself said something like MJ got his own style, he made his own moves.

On the other hand u got people totally ripping MJ's whole style, not just a few moves here and there but if you ever watch on of Usher's concerts all the way through, seriously it's like watching the Dangerous Tour. Stylistic things like what has been mentioned already...has been imitated. Because of that,Michael Jackson's style has become a GENRE...it's flattering sure, but it's just a testament to how much people are unoriginal these days.

Lets take it this way, there are plenty of things that you can mention about MJ's style and performance that you can associate DIRECTLY to Michael Jackson...not james brown, not anyone else. Can you say the same for Usher and CHris Brown? Not really. Its about bringing something NEW to the table FROM the old. And MJ's the KING of that...of INNOVATION.

Last edited:
'Who cares who invented it.'

I do.

My point is I care about who invented the moves that MJ does. simple, really
But why do you care when all you have is. 'street kids invented it. The problem is that you cannot identify which street kids that invented any thing. MJ sat at the foot of James brown and Jackie wilson and watched them dance., Street kids didn't just get up and creates steps all by themselves., They were actually watching James brown and jackie wilson too. MJ was also one of those street kids before he became famous. Don't forget that the street kids have home and parents they are not from the streets, They are somebody's children just like MJ was. Much of MJ's dancing was choreograhed by him and his brothers., It is much likey that he created steps with his brothers than learn from street kids. You have no idea, so your eagerness to take the credit away from MJ and give it to annamous 'street kids' is very telling. MJ danced on stage and the whole world watched and was mezmarised and they danced too.
When Fred Astaire downs his thing wih Ginger Rogers, Nopbody tries to take it away from him and give it to street kids. So why MJ?

Last edited:
Butwhy do you care whenb all you have is. 'street kids invented it. |The problem is that you cannot identify which street kids that invented any thing. MJ sat at the foot of James brown and Jackie wilson and watched them dance., Street kids didn't just get up and creates steops all by themselves., They were actually watching James brown and jackie wilson too. MJ was also one of theose street kids before he became famous. Don't forget that the street kids have home and parents they are not from the streets, They are somebody's children just like MJ was. Much of MJ's dancing was choriograhed by him and h9s brothers., It is much likey that he created steps with his brothers than learn from street kids. You have no idea, so your eagerness to take the credit away from MJ and give it to anamous 'street kids' is very telling. MJ danced on stage and the whole world watched and was mezmarised and they danced too.
When Fred Astaire downs his thing wih Ginger Rogers, Nopbody tries to take it away from him and give it to street kids. So why MJ?

dude stop making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I'm just saying the unknown kids, who created the moonwalk and backslide & The Robot are some talented people.

I'm not denying Michael's talents one bit, i'm not taking credit from MJ either.

you really like to make something out of nothing.

dude stop making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I'm just saying the unknown kids, who created the moonwalk and backslide & The Robot are some talented people.

I'm not denying Michael's talents one bit, i'm not taking credit from MJ either.

you really like to make something out of nothing.
I wouldn't call it nothing when I see certain people are trying to strip MJ of his hard earned achievements. The fact is that he has had generations of children learning to dance like HIM, not street kids. He has influenced young people all over the world. Nobody can take that away from hm. It is Michael they want to dance like, not the street kids.

I wouldn't call it nothing when I see certain people are trying to strip MJ of his hard earned achievements. The fact is that he has had generations of children learning to dance like HIM, not street kids. He has influenced young people all over the world. Nobody can take that away from hm. It is Michael they want to dance like, not the street kids.

'strip MJ of his hard earned achievements'

I don't see anyone doing that so . . . darling, you can argue with yourself, because I never said anything to what you just implied ;) I'm not taking nothing away from no one, but if you want to think that then be my guest.

Last edited:
I think the argument here is MJ took things from street kids and so Chris Brown and Usher are taking things from him...and that's fine cuz everything is borrowed.

Here's the difference...kids and these imitators want to imitate mj's style, which is completely and totally HIS. not so much certain moves. But they want MJ's coolness...his ease in his steps...his strut...thats what they want. They want to be able to perform those moves that MJ took from the streets LIKE MICHAEL...in a cool, precise, graceful way. In his style of dress, in his mannerisms...all of that. And that's a shame because they should be coming up with their OWN style. Not just using the Michael-Jackson-with-a-little-hip-hop-thrown-in genre lol

Last edited:
Here's the difference...kids want to imitate mj's style. not so much certain moves. But they want MJ's coolness...his ease in his steps...his strut...thats what they want. They want to be able to perform those moves that MJ took from the streets LIKE MICHAEL...in a cool, precise, graceful way. In his style of dress, in his mannerisms...all of that.
Exactly. And as Will.I. am and other artist has said, MJ has done it all. He has covered every ground so there is nothing left to do. That, I believe is the reason why so many copy him.

'strip MJ of his hard earned achievements'

I don't see anyone doing that so . . . darling, you can argue with yourself, because I never said anything to what you just implied ;) I'm not taking nothing away from no one, but if you want to think that then be my guest.
If you haven't notice that, then you haven't been paying attention.:)

Exactly. And as Will.I. am and other artist has said, MJ has done it all. He has covered every ground so there is nothing left to do. That, I believe is the reason why so many copy him.
See I don't believe that. LOL I think there is something they can do...if they aren't lazy and really discover who they are as an artist.

Last edited:
i believe they'd have to obtain a certain unique talent/gift/genius/whatever you want to call it in order to carve out a niche out of something so authentic or even completely original in order to reach Michael's heights in this way.

^^ well they should at least TRY :lol: Some of these cats aren't even TRYING lol

the 'influence' of one generation on the next is never ending.

when an artist gets off on the good foot, they owe that to another's influence. The artist they saw doing the move first, will depend on the generation they are a part of.

Michael is held up as an influencial artist. His artistry is still placed on a shelf very close, if not directly adjacent to the likes of James Brown... Although Michael was actually influenced by the Godfather. Other artists are not positioned in the same manner.

I find it very hard to complete this post and the comparisons I am thinking of, without creating great drama and heat among fans. So I am going to hush before I say what I am thinking :lol:

^^ well they should at least TRY :lol: Some of these cats aren't even TRYING lol
i completely agree. then again, who knows that those who try are not given the opportunity to mainstream success as the "wannabes" we see on TV and hear everywhere.

Last edited:
See I don't believe that. LOL I think there is something they can do...if they aren't lazy and really discover who they are as an artist.
They would need the talent first. The problem with these artists is that they all want to be MJ. He is their aspiration, so they haven't fully realised their own talent. Ideally, they should not all want to sing and dance. They should be bringing other dimentions to the table, but they have no vision. I truly believe that many of them are really waiting for MJ to come back and deliver new stuff so that they can ripp him off again.

i completely agree. then again, who knows that those who try are not given the opportunity to mainstream success as the "wannabes" we see on TV and hear everywhere.
Truly. I agree. That is part of the problem.

Dats I wouldn't go so far as to say they don't have talent. I think they do...but part of real true success is actually UTILIZING that talent. See where it goes. MJ has done that. THey should imitate THAT aspect of MJ's artistry and see where their talent takes them creatively.

Last edited:
i believe they'd have to obtain a certain unique talent/gift/genius/whatever you want to call it in order to carve out a niche out of something so authentic or even completely original in order to reach Michael's heights in this way.
Absolutely. I also believe that the talent is there, but the industry is looking in the wrong place.

Last edited:
That is part of the problem
I also believe that the talent is there, but the industry is looking in the wrong place.
i think big wigs handing record deals would probably always feel safer with the "guaranteed" success (copy what's worked before) than to be bold and daring to give something different/new/innovative a try.

Mike had that talent but also the guaranteed of success because of his background.

i think big wigs handing record deals would probably always feel safer with the "guaranteed" success (copy what's worked before) than to be bold and daring to give something different/new/innovative a try.

Mike had that talent but also the guaranteed of success because of his background.
I think you naled it. Unfortunately the industry has become stagnant because of it. There is no real excitement anymore, we all lose.

Chris Brown, but at least he doesn't shy away from saying so.

Justin Timberlake, on the other hand, seems to have tried very hard in recent years to distance himself from the whole MJ image, and didn't even name Michael as one of his inspirations during the HBO tour. All of this, despite the fact that so many of his current vocals, dance moves, and costumes were lifted from MJ's repertoire. I don't mind when people follow in Michael's footsteps, but I really dislike the ones who don't acknowledge how much they are blatantly copying Michael in all that they do.

I say Chris Brown and Ne-Yo. Now, here is why I say that -

Chris is always doing something MJ related. He says that MJ is his idol, he had an MJ theme birthday party, he did a poor imatation of Thriller in the 2006 WMAs, etc. He wants to be like Michael.

Ne-Yo is dancing and singing like MJ. "Because of You" reminded a lot of people of the old school MJ. Ne-Yo writes, produces and composes his own songs, like MJ. Ne-Yo reminds people of MJ even MJ told him that Ne-Yo reminds him of himself.

Now, I quoted what TSCM said because that is what I am also sensing as well, regarding Justin Timberlake. Justin used to always say that he loved MJ. He and the other members of Nsync said that they would listen to the MJ classic CD "Dangerous" as inspiration for one of their CDs, I think it was "Celebrity" or "No Strings Attached" one of those CDs, you guys can pick. When Justin became a solo star, "Justified" was like his "Off The Wall" cd. He was like MJ to the point that I honestly wanted to slap the guy. LOL. He was even proclaimed by the racist, hating MJ magazine, "Rolling Stone" as the "New KOP". Justin even took a cover picture of the magazine and he looked like he was gloating a bit. I remember this review of JT in 2006 in "Philadelphia Weekly" that stated that "Justified" was the best Michael Jackson CD since "Bad". LOL. I'm sorry but that is very funny. I still crack up when I think of that quote.

These days, he does not even want talk about MJ but he tries to be just like MJ. To me, he seems to like the comparison between him and MJ but keeps it on the low. It is almost like he is ashamed for even liking the man. MJ is practically the reason JT has a damn career because lets face it, Usher, Ginuwine, and Ne-Yo are way better than Justin. Now, I am a fan of the man, not a big fan like I was was some 6 years ago, but I am a fan. After everything, I am a bit turned off by the guy and if anyone tries to say that JT is trying to be like MJ, I am insulted by that. Why? Because JT cannot even come close to Mike. I am happy that MJ is working with Ne-Yo on hsi new CD than with JT. Madonna can have his so called "extremely" talented self. LOL.

The pictures are hilarious, aren't they guys? You can just see the difference in quality.

Yeah, but Mike still rip some moves from different dancestyles. But he make them look different with adding his own little style-touch.
But Mike never copied any artists! Like you said, only as a child :)

Michael incorporates many different dance forms to create a totally original and distinct style all his own. Almost every great dancer in history though focuses usually on one particular, already pre-existent form and then they figure out a way to make that pariticular form distinct to them by the way they put the steps together. Most of these kids today either rip Michael off directly or simply engage in the popular dances of today, ending up as carbon copies of one another. They don't have an original style made up of how they put steps together, like Michael does.

It is extremely difficult to come up with a distinctive style of dance and only the greatest dancers in history have done so, but all off the back of already established forms, such as Astaire, Kelly and Davis Jr., their forte was in tap, ballat and jazz. Barishnikov and Nureyeve, ballet. But they all moved and brought their own way of putting steps together in a unique way. The steps themselves weren't new, it was how they put them together that was. Same with Michael. You don't see that today.

But really, Michael is a freak and these acts today shouldn't be compared to him, one, because it is insulting to Michael's level of talent to insinuate that these acts are even near his level and two, it's an unbearable burden for these acts to endure. They can never compare.

What people miss about Michael is how technically amazing he is as a dancer. If you compare him to people like Chris Brown, Usher, Omarion, Genuwine, Justin, etc... They just fall so far short in terms of form that, when you realize this, you also realize the absurdity of the comparison. They can't ever dance like Michael or as well because they simply don't have the ability. They don't have his in born speed, precisian, seemless connection of the steps, ease of step, and clean lines. That isn't something you can learn, it's something you must be born with. You can learn how to tap dance, or some jazz step or lock step, but what you can never learn is the things I mentioned above, all of what Michael has. Again, if you look back at those pictures, you'll see the difference. You take any still shot of Michael dancing, he is always perfectly positioned, always tight, he never has limbs thrown about in an uncontroled or useless manner, his lines are always clean, straight and fully extended, and that's all natural. He's a freak, like I said, and I mean that in terms of talent. And everyone keeps talking about how Michael got his moves from kids on the streets and James Brown, but most of Michael's steps are derived from jazz, people like Bob Fosse and Fred Astaire. And Astaire is the one dancer whom Michael's actual physical ability is most similar to, he is the dancer Michael most moves like, grace, precisian, speed and a reliance on the upper torso as much as the lower body.

I won't even talk about how these people fall short of Michael vocally, that should be obvious.

Anyway though, these kids are cute. As long as nobody tries to give them credit for being original or in any way try to seriously compare them to Michael, lol.

Last edited:
Back