Why does the media hate MJ so much?

analogue

Proud Member
The way the media reports all sorts of B.S about MJ. Twisted stories and just flat out lying about him goes beyond 'typical media reporting'' about a celebrity to me. When you read the way the media writes about Michael you can really sense real bitterness and hatred towards him. What did MJ ever do to deserve such punishment?

Is it because MJ is a black man the racist white media hates the thought of seeing a black man being the biggest superstar on the planet? Even bigger than The Beatles and Elvis Presley who are media darlings? I hate pulling the race card but i do think it plays a big part in it all

Another thing that's been said is that the media twist stories or just flat out lie in order to make a story seem ''more juicy'' than what it really is. So that way they'll sell more newspapers and get higher ratings because negativity sells more than positivity. But when it comes to MJ i really do feel it goes beyond twisted a story to make it more ''juicy''

In fact it goes beyond hating MJ. It's just a witch hunt

"Half of me you'll never be, so you should feel threatened by me"

I remember the first whiff of "negativity" that happened when they made the announcement for the Victory Tour-which was after "Motown 25" and that leap from stardom to "super global never seen before superstardom." And to this day, whether the negative stuff comes from the media, music executives, colleagues, 'friends' or family I chalk the motive up to one of these 3 words: JEALOUSY, GREED, AND RACISM.

They hate him but they need him don't they? All someone has to do is mention Michael's name once and they have a story. Murray killed Michael but the media have been killing him for years.

Actually I see more positive articles about Michael then negative in the main stream entertainment media. It's the hardcore Tabloids that make it their business to trash celebrities and MJ is their best money maker and target for that. I don't see that changing anytime soon. Unless people stop reading garbage. Negative headlines and stories get the most $$$$ attention.

Media LOVES to hate Michael and I totally agree race and the fact he never stocked to a mold or stereotype angers them.
They still can't stand despite the massive crusade to destroy him, he's still extremely adored by millions of us.
They can't stand the fact a black man is still more powerful and influential than any of their darlings. No matter how much they try to put Justin Timberlake on a pedestal and inflate his alleged talent.
They can't stand millions of us women died for him finding Michael sexier, handsomer and more beautiful than any of their darlings (Brad, George, Johnny, etc). Didn't you notice how they were pushing he was "ugly" or a "freak", not only because they considered his actions bizarre but also his physical appearance?
They simply can't stand Michael was already a legend when he was still here with us and larger than life.

I agree with the reasons media hates Michael. Jealousy, Greed and Racism. You know every lies they spread about Michael, their hatred towards Michael makes our hatred towards the media a lot more, like they wanted the verdict for Michael's trial to be "GUILTY" and when the verdict has been spoken, they can't handle the truth and still continues spewing more lies and even after his death they still continue like it was an ending cycle.

I once told my mom the day Michael was gone that I blame the media, they're partially responsible that he's gone because the lies keeps on going non-stop. All that makes me wish every media should be dead just like "News Of The World" died (meaning shut down). They say controversy creates $. Controversy creates $ my @$$! Controversy ruins everything.

Tell me are you the ghost of jealousy??

I agree with all of the above reasons for the media esp tabs hating on MJ. Also MJ did not play ball with them in that he was relatively inaccessible and decided early on not to give interviews (remember in the note he wrote that they showed on 60 Minutes "I will give no interviews" and that was really early on in his career).

1. He was inaccessible (no interviews)
2. He was breaking the celeb mold, esp for men
3. He cared about poverty, children's issues, the environment
4. He was vulnerable--as a black man in an industry (music and media empire) that had few if any blacks in positions of power
5. Rupert Murdock's mantra to sell papers was: celebrity, SCANDAL (real or imagined) and SEX
6. MJ when he did give interviews was IMO too polite to the hosts when they got too intrusive or rude
7. The fact he was so huge meant that by writing about him they could get massive ratings
8. Most of the writers/media did not 'get' MJ--did not understand him and did not try to. They didn't even read his books or listen to his music. Look at Oprah. She didn't even read Moonwalk (1988) before she interviewed him in 93. Why not???? LAZY. I think they were genuinely shocked at the reaction to his death--the love people had for him--b/c they had no idea who he was and they bought their own BS about him.

Jealousy, ignorance, racism, greed, envy make up their hatred against Michael.

They were shocked at the reaction to his death because they hadn't destroyed him. They were shocked that their decades long malicious lies, name calling, brainwashing, and anti Michael propaganda hadn't paid off. The world stood still, because Michael was special, they were shocked that all their effort went down hill, they were shocked that they were unsuccessful in planting hatred against MJ. They didn't get that they didn't make him and hence couldn't break him. They will fade once they die, Michael Jackson however will live forever. He is engraved on mankind's psyche for as long as mankind is going to exist. Long live the King, God bless The King. You are forever Michael.

The way the media reports all sorts of B.S about MJ. Twisted stories and just flat out lying about him goes beyond 'typical media reporting'' about a celebrity to me. When you read the way the media writes about Michael you can really sense real bitterness and hatred towards him. What did MJ ever do to deserve such punishment?

Is it because MJ is a black man the racist white media hates the thought of seeing a black man being the biggest superstar on the planet? Even bigger than The Beatles and Elvis Presley who are media darlings? I hate pulling the race card but i do think it plays a big part in it all

Another thing that's been said is that the media twist stories or just flat out lie in order to make a story seem ''more juicy'' than what it really is. So that way they'll sell more newspapers and get higher ratings because negativity sells more than positivity. But when it comes to MJ i really do feel it goes beyond twisted a story to make it more ''juicy''

In fact it goes beyond hating MJ. It's just a witch hunt

I agree with everything you said, especially the bolded part. The media hates the fact that an African American made it to the top, passing up Elvis and the Beatles. They hate the fact that he won the hearts of millions of people, they hate the fact that he cares about the world and helping children instead of money, sex and calling women out of their names. And you know what? They'll do ANYTHING to bring him down.

I was just ranting to my dad today about how sad things have been for Michael. He told everyone he had vitiligo, people said he bleached his skin. Someone else says they have it, everyone believes them and doesn't spread lies saying they bleach their skin. That's a trip. The media and the public (fans not included) have condemned and judged a man who did absolutely nothing wrong. These people jump to conclusions about someone they NEVER met, they screw his intentions and they slander his name.

These people are absolutely pathetic. Pathetic

He was such a beautiful human being with no hostile approach towards anyone.
And yes he may have given a middle finger towards the press, but he was just too gentle to anyone in the world.
I think the media never saw such a man, being a superstar selling hundreds millions of albums, outperform every previous record, bringing the bar so high, but then again he was such a polite man. He had the same respect to any other musician.
And that's beautiful!
But I guess they never had a grip on the man himself.
Like previous answers, he didn't give alot interviews, he didn't announce he had vitiligo, so from the transition from Thriller to Bad, that must have been 'weird' in the eyes of the public and the press.
Buying a big ranch and call it Neverland, the world from Peter Pan, and then live in this beautiful world, must have been kinda strange in the eyes of the press.
But they didn't know him and in the end it's all about the money, so just write what you want and let the money roll.

I think the way he was called a King and styled himself that way with crowns and regal insignia/embroidery on his military jackets, and had himself painted as a king, that really got to the press b/c they thought it was arrogant and therefore he needed taking down. They thought his claim to being a king was 'out there' and not based in reality--but he was a king! They didn't want to see it or admit it. (That also happened to Jesus, who was humiliated with a 'crown of thorns' and crucified with the sign "King of the Jews" over his head.) The idea that a poor person can become a king challenges the power elite and the status quo.

Another thing sorry to bring up race but it played a huge role in the wY Michael was treated. They couldn't stereotype him as an angry black (boogy) man, so they said he was weird. He wasn't into kiss & tell so they he was gay, he was never with men so they said he was pedophile. They couldn't put him into their ignorant littlw boxes, so they made up new lies, preconcieved notions as they went along.

Racism has always been the number one reason why they treated MJ like shit, the minute he hit REALLY BIG! Just look how Elvis is treated by the media til this day by comparison and it's all too obvious! -_-

I'm not sure if you guys have checked it out, but after reading Sammy Davis Jr's autobiography, it was shocking the parallels with Michael's life and career, including how the media treated them

It's sad seeing people with so much talent and good intentions torn down because the media feels they need to be knocked down a peg

I noticed the hate when Thriller blew up like it did and its extreme success forced MTV to play his videos. MTV needed Mike and they hated that. I saw the hate kicked up a bunch of notches when he outbid Paul McCartney for the Beatles catalog. It really hit the fan when he became bigger than Elvis, married his daughter (the ultimate FU, then kicked her to the curb) and became part owner of the Sony ATV treasure chest. How dare this poor n-word from Gary, Indiana reach such heights? Then he captured the hearts of people from all nations, all cultures, all ethnicities, all religions, all ages in a way no other artist has before or ever will again. When he died, he almost took the INTERNET with him, folks! I'm surprised it didn't crash (and it probably did in many places) when the news broke that horrible day. Even now, 4 years after his passing, he's STILL breaking records, capturing hearts and is bigger than life. Michael Jackson is one of a kind and we'll never see that kind of supernova again. Blessed by God...

Last edited:
MTV needed Mike and they hated that.

Yep. They really, really hated the fact that it was this black guy who put them on the map and made them big. Just look at how they treated him after Thriller era. Never giving him credit. Denying him of awards he would have deserved - such as making Paula Abdul's Straight Up beat Smooth Criminal at the VMAs and giving "Video of the Year" award to Neil Young's This Note Is For You in which he mocked MJ and Whitney. So classy of MTV towards the artist who put them on the map, isn't it?

The irony is: MTV was biggest as long as MJ actively made videos. Sure it wasn't just his videos why people watched MTV, but his presence fertilized the music video industry, lead the way, inspired other artists etc.

I love the points everyone has made and I agree with the majority of you. It's just so sad the lengths the media and others go through to fill their pockets by doing damage to another person. It's ridiculous and I don't understand how people can be proud of what they do for a living when they stoop so low to demean someone.

The media is a business, they want to make money and Michael 'gave' the media esp tabloid media so much ammunition by just being himself. They're always looking for some controversial, shocking new story, Michael had plenty things going on that could be considered (or twisted into) that. Because the general public didn't 'get' him and didn't care to, they just wanna eat all of that nonsense up and gossip about it.
Nobody lived the life Michael did, obviously that made him different. It's the combination of Michael actually being different, in a very good way:wub:, and all the things that went on that can be made to look different or weird, while they're not. Lots of people are very close minded, they find the simplest stuff weird. For instance, something simple as wearing the surgery masks. Now I never found it strange (and it's nobody's damn business anyway:lol:) but in Moonwalk he said something along the lines of "That way I feel like I can at least keep part of me, just for me". I think of that every time I see him wear it, I get that a 100%. To an outsider it's just..omg look at MJ, he's so weird. Because a lot of people don't make an effort to empathize. So that's why. That sh!t sells, the media tries to sell it, and Michael just made an easy target. That's why I have so much respect for him, ALWAYS staying true to himself. Most people while being attacked like that would probably try to change so they could fit the mold and be left alone. Michael never strayed from who he was, he was so strong and I love him so much for that:heart:

Michael always seemed like a pretty regular guy to me, especially considering the circumstances he grew up in. He was also a great example of what a good person can be and/or aspire to be. The world would be a better place if people were more Mike-like. The media reporters are the weird and crazy ones to me. But they all, and including everyone who tried to ruin Michael's life, were the exact opposite of what Michael was. He had what they were lacking in their own lives and instead of trying to learn by his example, they decided to destroy him instead. It's easier to hurt than to be kind sometimes. It's also easier to make up stories than to do research. And it's even easier to do that when your main motivation is money.

Michael always seemed like a pretty regular guy to me, especially considering the circumstances he grew up in. He was also a great example of what a good person can be and/or aspire to be. The world would be a better place if people were more Mike-like. The media reporters are the weird and crazy ones to me. But they all, and including everyone who tried to ruin Michael's life, were the exact opposite of what Michael was. He had what they were lacking in their own lives and instead of trying to learn by his example, they decided to destroy him instead. It's easier to hurt than to be kind sometimes. It's also easier to make up stories than to do research. And it's even easier to do that when your main motivation is money.

Cut and paste 'journalism' for sure when it came to writing about MJ. They could write that BS in their sleep--it was the usual litany right up until he died: hyperbaric chamber, elephant man's bones, Bubbles, wanted to be white, Peter Pan, etc etc. Totally lazy with no idea who MJ was!!!

''I broke Elvis's records. I broke Beatles records. Overnight they called me a freak, they called me a child molester. They said i bleached my skin. They made everything to turn the public against me'' - Michael Jackson

... When he died, he almost took the INTERNET with him, folks! I'm surprised it didn't crash (and it probably did in many places) when the news broke that horrible day. ...

As hard as I am trying not to laugh because the upset girl in me wags the finger (not at you...at me!), there's an explanation! It's as if print had it's last horray with the print on 6/26, and nobody but Michael seems to be able to generate as many hits and clicks with absolutely no work involved by those unloading some made up cold coffee from 6 years ago. They know that even political revolutions can't generate as much ad volume like somehow squeezing the initials MJ in there.

They know that no other will generate that much income, viewership and subsequently more income. American Idol? Naaah, only works when somebody is verbally abusive, or contestant have 'MJ week.'

Wide media segments pretend to hate them, they LOVE him, just for the amount of money he brought them. Not as a person, as a crowd pleaser. Although I came to the conclusion that many media outlets seem to passionately hate its audience, why else would they torment us with the BLEEP they serve us, day in and day out, all while hoping to make some bucks from the audience despised and looked down on as gullible.

Michael is gone and those profiting know even the juiciest story will at some point fizzle out, so I consider all the current remnants the last attempts of making a few last bucks of his name.
Nobody remembers the critic ripping Beethoven to shreds for his 'catering to the uneducated mob' by using a choir in a symphony... and while most of us shudder even thinking of particular news publications - it's Michael's music that gets sung in front of a Pope.

Chew on that, 'critics', and consider yourself edumacated, since guess who had that last final, beautiful smile?? Yup. Michael.
Or better yet, defenders of culture and all things stale :big_boss: - set out and write a better hymn to mankind, or better yet, write two.

Yours truly.

twinklEE;3925606 said:
Jealousy, ignorance, racism, greed, envy make up their hatred against Michael.

They were shocked at the reaction to his death because they hadn't destroyed him. They were shocked that their decades long malicious lies, name calling, brainwashing, and anti Michael propaganda hadn't paid off. The world stood still, because Michael was special, they were shocked that all their effort went down hill, they were shocked that they were unsuccessful in planting hatred against MJ. They didn't get that they didn't make him and hence couldn't break him. They will fade once they die, Michael Jackson however will live forever. He is engraved on mankind's psyche for as long as mankind is going to exist. Long live the King, God bless The King. You are forever Michael.

I agree with every one of you.

When Michael died the media wasn’t sure how to react. Of course they covered it non-stop, but they didn’t know the tone to take. Then a huge crowd of mostly African American people gathered outside of the Apollo Theater in Harlem, NY and began an impromptu tribute to Michael. They sang, danced to his music played on boom boxes, and held up album covers and posters. The media had been trying to turn the black community against Michael for years saying he didn’t like being black, he was bleaching his skin so he could be white, etc. What the media didn’t know was that the black community never stopped supporting Michael. African Americans know what the mainstream media does to their best and their brightest. So when all of these black people came out onto the streets for Michael it shut them up!! When the crowds grew in front of the Apollo, I could see the tone of the reporting shift. People lined up for hours to sign a book for Michael, the media had failed at turning this crucial part of the public against him.

Some people actually said when Michael was on trial in 2005 that they hoped this might mean he would sell the Catalog. It is almost killing some people that a black man owned rights to Beatles and even some Elvis songs!

Back