Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

Life Never Felt So Good....as it does this morning in the UK, love the song, love the duet, I just cannot wait now for the album.

P.S I love the way Working Day and Night is worked into the duet version, very cool.

Last edited:

This is the difference between an amateur producer (McClain) and a professional producer (Timbaland). McClain version should have remained for his personal collection. Timbaland version is amazing, I love it (with or without Justin). Same version without JT should have been on the main album and JT on deluxe. McClain version is just meh.. I hope radio picked Timbaland version for airplay.

OnirMJ i respect your opinion but i have to tell you this lol :
1 - don't ever leave croatia man you'd risk your life, man you never give up and it's bad in today's world
2 - you should give a break to your heart or you'll have big problems in less than 5 years :p

Luv ;)

I don't like that Hold My Hand is mostly Akon. I also prefer LNFSG as a song. But then I'm one of the few who always LOVED the demo as well.
Yeah, I can get that the vocals being mostly Akon can be off-putting. Michael's parts and ad libs are glorious though, and I love the choir Akon put at the end. I guess the fact that the album version is really quite close to the demo that was leaked in 2008 also makes it feel like MJ had a much bigger influence on the song.

I love the LNFSG demo too, but for different reasons. I like that it's kind of a jam session -- a peek into Michael's creative process -- with just his voice and a piano. I love that.

This is the difference between an amateur producer (McClain) and a professional producer (Timbaland). McClain version should have remained for his personal collection. Timbaland version is amazing, I love it (with or without Justin). Same version without JT should have been on the main album and JT on deluxe. McClain version is just meh.. I hope radio picked Timbaland version for airplay.

Exactly my thoughts, the solo version sounds poorly masterd.
The ideas and elements in it would fit perfectly, but it sounds like an amateur production.
They should have made LNFSG #8 instead of #1 on the Standard Disc.. its still a DEMO (and the only one thankfully)

Timbos Version is perfect! :)

I don't want to whitewash McClain's career, but I agree. Luckily we have Rodney/Timbaland produced tracks coming our way. Two of my top 5 favourite producers! Judging by twitter tags, the song is very universally appealing. The love is coming from all sorts of people ww.

It's always great to start an album promo campaign with something attention grabbing and universal. Not too niche or artistically extravagant. They can follow up with anything. The estate's in a good position with excellent material.

I heard the single this morning on UK Heart FM... they played the solo version but called it the duet, then debated exactly where Justins adlibs were... does this mean that the solo is the single? I prefer the duet for the mix and sound.

Wonder if the UK is actually going to get the duet single? Xx

Life is great right now x

Putting Justin Timberlake on LNFSG was just pointless. He really had no reason to be there except to appeal to the younger generation. But I still think it's a good song so please don't say I'm being too negative

I prefer the original with MJ only

respect77;3993953 said:
Would be good if the two versions counted together on the charts - then it could achieve a higher position.

Someone in this thread said Billboard will count the duett as remix to the solo-version. So both singles will count as one.

Great
Bubs;3993980 said:
From Washington post:
"One thing is clear, if this is what Jackson left on the cutting room floor, it makes his untimely death that much more tragic, because “Love Never Felt So Good” suggests that he had a satisfying catalog of work ahead of him."

Full article here:http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...od-first-single-from-michael-jacksons-xscape/

I just L.O.V.E both versions of the tracks, Its creating a real buzz here in the UK.
Just hope that the single does well on the charts and gets MJ seen again.

Either the solo or the duet are brilliant, just amazing.
Got a feeling this album is gonna get Michael to the top again.

What's really cool is that this is not even the best the producers had to work with. I love the demo, but if they managed to complete and modernize LNFSG beautifully, imagine what's happened with BG, DYKWYCA, STTR Xscape etc.

So very excited.

The more I listen to it the more I LOVE it! Such an uplifting, fun song!

It looks like the single has a nice effect on album sales too! The album has reappeared or increased on iTunes in several countries, compared to where it was 24 hours ago:

Album: XSCAPE
#2 Taiwan (+2)
#5 Bulgaria (+54)
#5 Grenada (-1)
#6 Azerbaijan (-2)
#6 Oman (-3)
#12 Netherlands (+17)
#12 Romania (+386)
#18 Norway (+44)
#18 Turkey (+49)
#20 Belarus (NE)
#23 Denmark (NE)
#23 Mexico (+97)
#29 Spain (+68)
#36 Armenia (-1)
#37 Sweden (NE)
#38 Brazil (NE)
#41 United Kingdom (NE)
#48 Russia (+212)
#52 United States (NE)
#60 Germany (+34)
#65 Macau (-13)
#74 Austria (NE)
#80 Canada (NE)
#81 Saudi Arabia (-10)
#82 Chile (NE)
#85 Poland (-71)
#88 Switzerland (NE)
#105 Japan (+250)
#111 Mauritius
#114 Australia (NE)
#118 Belgium (NE)
#123 South Africa (NE)
#126 Colombia
#129 Egypt
#135 France (+175)
#156 Vietnam
#162 Italy (NE)
#168 Nigeria
#185 Greece
#188 Philippines (+202)
#208 Ukraine
#210 Guatemala
#254 Portugal
#260 Venezuela
#264 Slovenia
#294 Estonia
#312 Malaysia
#321 Indonesia (NE)
#356 Argentina
#368 Moldova
#372 Thailand (-2)
#373 United Arab Emirates
#378 Bolivia
#384 Lebanon
#388 The Bahamas
#399 India (NE)

On first listen, I think both versions have their strengths and weaknesses. Overall I prefer Timbaland's production. Rhythmically it is much stronger than McClain's version, though I do feel he overdoes it a bit with the glass percussion. I think the intro and bridge, as well as the transitions back from the chorus to the verses, are nicer on the McClain version though. There are also some elements from McClain's string arrangement that I prefer, but I think he overemphasizes them and the arrangement sounds too forced around the vocal melody. Timbaland's is more subtle, and his version is driven a bit more by the rhythm guitars. What I like about McClain's version is that it is just MJ solo.

I do think both versions suffer a lot from the fact that MJ never properly recorded this track, for a number of reasons. 1. The fact that they did not have multitracks and the piano from the original ended up in these versions. Not only does it create a few awkward transitions whenever MJ's vocals cut in and out (and the piano is suddenly there too), but the piano part was played very straight. Rythmically it just does not gel with a full arrangement. That's also why JT's verse, where the piano is absent, sounds most natural musically. 2. Related to this, the fact that MJ sang his vocals to this piano part. MJ's timing was always impeccable and rhythmically strong. He did a nice job making things groove by the way he sang along to the piano on the demo, but because the piano is played very straight, his timing just sounds a bit dull and straight in this full arrangement. There's no doubt that he would have used different timing if he had recorded it to a drum track. This is why JT, who got to sing along to this full arrangement, sounds much more natural vocally on the track (though I still think MJ's voice is much stronger). 3. The fact that MJ did not record vocals to a click track. The vocals + piano go off beat a few times on both versions.

Overall, it is more or less what I expected to hear based on the album reviews and leaked demo. Fun song, but it is very noticeable that it is a polished up demo (mainly due to what I described above imo). Finally, I do like that they went for a retro production sound.

Couldn't have said it better SoCav -- those are pretty much exactly my thoughts and feelings. Thanks.

P3 - one of the biggest (if not the biggest) radio station in Denmark is playing both the Michael solo version and the Michael and JT duet. The Michael solo version right now and the duet sometime within the next hour.

I have a good feeling that Love..... will do well on charts.

I got this from charts thread:
Mickie:
Both versions of the album have the same SKU. Which means that yes, both versions count toward the same position for sales and charting.

MJ Online Team

The official online team of the Michael Jackson Estate™
-------------------------------------------

So now they have 3 versions of LNFSG out and if all 3 has same SKU (if singles have the same thingy than albums) it should go on top of the singles list?
Everybody loves at least one version of the song:D

Bubs;3994015 said:
I have a good feeling that Love..... will do well on charts.

I got this from charts thread:
Mickie:
Both versions of the album have the same SKU. Which means that yes, both versions count toward the same position for sales and charting.

MJ Online Team

The official online team of the Michael Jackson Estate™
-------------------------------------------

So now they have 3 versions of LNFSG out and if all 3 has same SKU (if singles have the same thingy than albums) it should go on top of the singles list?
Everybody loves at least one version of the song:D

Both versions of the album (!)

On first listen, I think both versions have their strengths and weaknesses. Overall I prefer Timbaland's production. Rhythmically it is much stronger than McClain's version, though I do feel he overdoes it a bit with the glass percussion. I think the intro and bridge, as well as the transitions back from the chorus to the verses, are nicer on the McClain version though. There are also some elements from McClain's string arrangement that I prefer, but I think he overemphasizes them and the arrangement sounds too forced around the vocal melody. Timbaland's is more subtle, and his version is driven a bit more by the rhythm guitars. What I like about McClain's version is that it is just MJ solo.

I do think both versions suffer a lot from the fact that MJ never properly recorded this track, for a number of reasons. 1. The fact that they did not have multitracks and the piano from the original ended up in these versions. Not only does it create a few awkward transitions whenever MJ's vocals cut in and out (and the piano is suddenly there too), but the piano part was played very straight. Rythmically it just does not gel with a full arrangement. That's also why JT's verse, where the piano is absent, sounds most natural musically. 2. Related to this, the fact that MJ sang his vocals to this piano part. MJ's timing was always impeccable and rhythmically strong. He did a nice job making things groove by the way he sang along to the piano on the demo, but because the piano is played very straight, his timing just sounds a bit dull and straight in this full arrangement. There's no doubt that he would have used different timing if he had recorded it to a drum track. This is why JT, who got to sing along to this full arrangement, sounds much more natural vocally on the track (though I still think MJ's voice is much stronger). 3. The fact that MJ did not record vocals to a click track. The vocals + piano go off beat a few times on both versions.

Overall, it is more or less what I expected to hear based on the album reviews and leaked demo. Fun song, but it is very noticeable that it is a polished up demo (mainly due to what I described above imo). Finally, I do like that they went for a retro production sound.

Great review. With all their imperfections, I love them though.

Wow. Both Versions are AMAZING. I love more Timabalnd's versions. Look. It's hated song by us! Imagine what they did with She Was Loving Me. :DDDDDDDDD

#37 Love Never Felt So Good
Current position on iTunes UK

Jumped 2 places within the last 15 minutes!

Keep MICHAELING!! :wild:
p.s. I've e-mailed and tweeted our local radio asking for airplay

Amazon US at the moment
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #6 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
#1 in Music > R&B
#6 in Music > Pop

Amazon UK
Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 19 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
#2 in Music > R&B and Soul
#9 in Music > Pop

:clapping:

Last edited:

Lol, this has become Wall Street thread with shareholders watching closely the evolution of their shares with no profit :D

This is nice, isn't it?

Back