Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

Yeah, I'll send Timbaland a tweet... because surely there's still time to make production changes.

(Timbaland didn't even produce the solo version of LNFSG, which is the version that has the tape hiss. His duet mix with Timberlake sounds excellent. But whatever, I'm done talking about this. It's bringing the mood down.)

The tape hiss isn't a problem. And you can somewhat mask tape hiss to a degree, but the more you do it, the more you degrade the quality of the recording. I'd rather keep the hiss and the full fidelity of the recording. What is a problem though is the limiting and awful distortion.

Yeah, I'll send Timbaland a tweet... because surely there's still time to make production changes.

(Timbaland didn't even produce the solo version of LNFSG, which is the version that has the tape hiss. His duet mix with Timberlake sounds excellent. But whatever, I'm done talking about this. It's bringing the mood down.)

Well send it to McClain and tell him you want a hiss-free cd.

Totally agree WildStyle

The distortion on the solo version is totally unacceptable. I've stopped listening because of it. JT version all the way. McClain dropped the ball unfortunately.

Totally agree WildStyle

The distortion on the solo version is totally unacceptable. I've stopped listening because of it. JT version all the way. McClain dropped the ball unfortunately.
Pathetic

When I first heard Michael’s new album was coming out and this thread was started, I was a little reluctant to read it-and especially make comments because one thing I’ve known and definitely has been confirmed by reading different threads here is that music, like all art, is totally subjective-and I certainly didn’t want to read and comment about music that I don’t care for (but still appreciate) and music that I totally love with uncontrollable insane passion -because I’ve seen people be called casual fans or worse, fake fans, and I don’t have “rhino” skin.

But I have been totally obsessed with this thread since it started and can’t seem to quit reading it-even to the point of borrowing phones to keep up on it every day-a couple of times a day. I’m mesmerized by it. From the arguing at the beginning about the choice of material to the joy and excitement of giddy members because we’re getting new music AND original demos (!) to the laugh out loud hysterics of Bumper and co. and their hilarious “Lewis Carolly” nonsense, I’ve just loved it.

I have NOT been this PUMPED up for a new album since late 86 and 87 when I first heard the news that what was to become “BAD” was being created.
I love and adore you Michael and I am so glad that I found MJJC. This has been pure pleasure.

(all of the critiques-good and bad-have been interesting-maybe I’ll get the courage to offer some music opinions one day)

The reason why some people is kind of doubting the voice on She Was Lovin Me is because the voice is clearly processed. Not just a bit but a lot. Very robotic in the verses and the background vocals going on. It's the same kind of robotic voice you get from toying too much with Melodyne.
It almost sounds like some of the lines are stretched as well like in the chorus when he sings in the background (she was lovin meee-eeeee)

We are all used to hearing Michael's raw voice because he almost never used any sort of effect on his voice. So when we get a brand new unheard song, which has processed vocals like this, we become slightly skeptical. I can totally understand it. Also because of what happened in 2010.

No doubt in my mind, the original version will be my favorite.
Timbo's SWLM mix isn't bad, but I don't think it's amazing either. Feels like he is almost just pushing random buttons for some cool sounds here and there. The song deserves a more "epic production".The original version has a more epic intro according to Damien which is good news as the song starts off a bit unnatural to me.

Totally agree WildStyle

I actually kind of agree with rickd. The distortion on the solo track is really bad. It sounds like someone took the mix and EQ'ed the hell out of it. The hiss is bad, but bearable, but the high freq sounds on his voice and something in the background kills it. Whatever happened with the Bernie Grundman mastering?

I just can't listen to it, but no worries for me. I prefer the Timbo version.

And to those of you who are saying you can't hear any hiss or other kind of artifacts, well, one doesn't want to be offensive so I'll just say be glad!

Last edited:

Tape hiss? bother? lol, in the 80s all I had were cassettes with hissings an LPs with cracklings and cathodic tv with snow.

Let's not be difficult.

Between all your (funny) comments something this great and spot on appears!! I agree very much!

I hear no hiss?

Totally agree WildStyle

Maybe I have bad ears - but I do not hear anything bad. - It sounds clear and great IMO. - I simply enjoys the song very much. - And I like the duet very much too...

Tricky's? Why would they do that? Is it possible that they will release that shitty version instead of the original?

I truly hope not.

I do not understand why MJ.com promoted the leaked Tricky Stewart version. We were supposed to receive the original mixes, correct? I cannot imagine hearing the leaks as they are known as the originals except for LNFSG.

I listened too. I don't even try, because I know I won't be able to resist. lol I don't know about the artists changing this, so far nobody has said anything about it, I guess most don't feel it's a big deal maybe.

Michael was rare, eh? I hope that Chicago becomes a single because I love the morality play and that the character Michael portrays feels guilt about the triangle. Most songs are about conquests while this one is different and I enjoy that aspect of it. Shout out to Cory Rooney for a well written song!

Did they include an excerpt from his usual Vocal warm up sessions with Seth Riggs?

Does MJ do alot of adlibs on this song?

Yes it does seem a vocal warm up is in the song.

Chicago is a lie tho.. Mike never had problems pursuing married women lol

I am impressed with the direction this discussion has taken. The weather was great, even the criticism appears, then the rain came of them. You are without doubt incomprehensible. I do not see much reason for complaint, it was exactly to avoid this we will have the Delux version with the original demo. Conform the sound and enjoy it, Michael is no longer among us, but it seems you have not noticed ...

The first 10 seconds or so of Chicago are a bit wonky. Part of me thinks it should have opened with an instrumental instead.

That and the "smile" oddity are my only complaints about the song.

I wish the tape hiss didn't bother me, but it really should have been properly cleaned and is kind of a big oversight IMO. Tarnishes a great track.

It may be too late to tweet these two producers to fix these so called technicalities, but you can always school them on how to do their job. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

The tape hiss isn't a problem. And you can somewhat mask tape hiss to a degree, but the more you do it, the more you degrade the quality of the recording. I'd rather keep the hiss and the full fidelity of the recording. What is a problem though is the limiting and awful distortion.

Totally agree WildStyle

Again, why don't you tweet these producers and school them on HOW to make a record. Don't come here and complain about GREAT MUSIC!!

Slave to the Rhythm (original version) 4:35

Slave to the Rhythm (Tricky Stewart leaked 2010 mix) 4:32

Is is possible they are trying to trick us with Tricky's version instead of the OG. They referred to that version as "Demo" several times.

Slave to the Rhythm (original version) 4:35

Slave to the Rhythm (Tricky Stewart leaked 2010 mix) 4:32

Is is possible they are trying to trick us with Tricky's version instead of the OG. They referred to that version as "Demo" several times.

They won't for the simple reason that the guy who produced this song is actually the executive produicer on the album (L.A Reid)

Chicago - excellent

There is one thing that I would like to say to the fans ho don't like Chicago or LNFSG.

Not a single MJ song will ever be perfect any more, and it is a very sad thing. We must accept that. And in order to accept it we must mourn MJ.
All we can hope is that every team working on MJ's future releases do it as closely possible as to what they think MJ would want them to do thanks to their work experience with MJ.

On the other hand, if however we still are unable to get over the fact that variosu people "touched the sacred" (MJ's music and transformed it), we can hopefully expect that they always include demos as MJ left them so that we at least have a glimpse of MJ's working process.

The cahrts are not important, but if they are able to drag the album on the charts all I hope is that they do it with a big dosis of art and magic.

Now, let's enjoy MJ's music/voice and let's bear in mind that MJ has nothing to prove any more, he was always the king and will always be the king of pop, rock and soul as Liz Taylor would say.

You would think that when Michael was here and he oversaw everything on an album the fans wouldn't criticize, but they did clearly with Invincible as many did not like it. Now not sure what they took apart but they did. So whether Michael is here or not they will continue to do so unfortunately. You should certainly state your opinions but the way they take apart these great songs is very pathetic and disrespectful imo.

Again, why don't you tweet these producers and school them on HOW to make a record. Don't come here and complain about GREAT MUSIC!!
Chill out. It's a valid criticism. Both McClain and Timbaland did decent jobs with their versions. The problem only in the McClain's version is with the mastering, which McClain may not have even been responsible for in the first place. These are technical aspects of recorded music. If you don't have any knowledge of them maybe to you it seems like unwarranted "hate". But the fact remains that somebody dropped the ball with the mastering of the solo version of LNFSG.

I think we all need to chill. It's one song, and they were trying to salvage a badly recorded track, so I guess I was a bit harsh.

I'm going to wait until I hear the whole album until I make judgments. But already the 2 out of 8 tracks that are out there have a warmer and more vibrant feel than anything that was on Michael.

So at 12 midnight, Loving You will be on Sony Music Unlimited the same way it was with Chicago ?

Yo... one thing that gets me is fans nit-picking every little d*mn thing on the songs that have been released so far. First "LNFSG original version has a distortion and it's difficult to listen to because of it"... and now Chicago is "probably auto tuned in some parts, his vocals are layered" and so forth...

I understand how hard it must have been to wait for New Michael Jackson music for this long to get a chance criticize it. I also understand y'all got your own opinions, but every time you mention something that petty, it makes it harder for my self and maybe others to freely enjoy the music. Just enjoy the music, if not... then it's your prerogative but stop with the negativeness Please.

Thank you,

L.o.v.e.
Romi

It may be too late to tweet these two producers to fix these so called technicalities, but you can always school them on how to do their job. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

I don't know what the hell your problem is. It's just a critique and a number of other people feel similarly. Back off.

I don't know what the hell your problem is. It's just a critique and a number of other people feel similarly. Back off.

GUYS

guys

guys

Let it go guys, don't fight, just beat it and wait for the album :big_boss:

It's not even worth fighting about. Just a bit of tape hiss.

If you listen to albums from the 60's and 70's, you'll hear worse. Listen to a Jimi Hendrix album sometime.

Constructive criticism is good guys but c'mon you're being more than picky at times hiss here melodyne there blablabla enjoy the music you maybe never knew the 80's we used to have casettes and vinyls (talking about hiss and crackling) wait for the final CD and then judge ----> and while doin' so show some respect for some recognised producers, mixers, master engineers etc you can't be a little student who played with a demo of melodyne on a trail version of adobe audition and judge a guy who produced for 20+ years ;)

i Forgot an important point SONY, the Estate and everybody involved in MJ stuff don't owe you nothing without them you won't get anything have a look at whitney houston's estate and what they are doin' to keep her legacy alive so be thankful cuz they can wake up tomorrow and say well if michale left all these songs and videos out of sight it's because he's a perfectionnist and you were never meant to hear or see them and now we will respect his wish and then you'll be left with some serious silence nt just a little hiss ;)

Last edited:

seriously? only two hours until lovin you?

I have no problemas :imbadjust grooving to MJ :chillin:

Back