Xscape General Discussion

Florin Daniel;3964831 said:
Noooo nooo noooo!!!
The Unrelased BTM video it's just a copy/paste from Michael's HIStory Remix Video.

[video=youtube;wf1WZbt8fYw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf1WZbt8fYw[/video]

A third identical music video is just all we DON"t need!!!

I agree. None of the posthumus videos impressed me one bit. They are boring, including that second Behind The Mask one. I'm tired of other people just dancing to MJ's music, pulling the signature MJ moves, wearing the signature MJ clothes in these videos. It's so cliché. They need to get more creative this time.

Re: News and discussion about upcoming MJ album [Update Pg15]

They need to get more creative this time.

So what would you suggest, just out of curiosity?

EDIT: Me personally, I'd probably have a short film based around a character in the song. If a character isn't specifically mentioned in the song, then create a character/situation from the song itself. Then something arises in relation to either the lyrics or the meaning of the song. At the climax of the video, the song will then extend so that the main character can have an awesome complicated dance scene with a group of backup dancers - typical of an MJ short film, before soothing back into the end of the song. Maybe not just have the dancers only dance popular MJ moves, but maybe use moves MJ did in TII that he hadn't used before, or perhaps create new moves that are based of , or similar to, the style of moves that MJ was iconic for. No, it isn't exactly a 'new' idea, but we can't really stray too far from the style Michael's films were known for.

It would either be that or some sort of tribute video - like Hold My Hand or that 'celebrity' idea I suggested a few days ago (which was like Liberian Girl 2.0 I suppose). I liked the video for Hold My Hand as well, it's probably my favourite so far. I saw it as a cool tribute to Michael, showing how diverse his fans are. I like Behind the Mask's too, but you'll probably get a biased answer from me since I'm in the video :p

I'm honestly not expecting much because the 'main star' isn't even with us. People watch Michael Jackson short films primarily for Michael Jackson and what he can surprise us with. While I'm not defending them completely, it isn't easy to make a great MJ music video without him in it.

Hollywood Tonight... Oh that wasn't too bad to be honest, but there are some cliche Michael things like you mentioned though. What really stood out to me was the end dance scene, I don't like how it felt... empty. I wanted to hear the sound of their feet shuffling and hitting the ground etc, I think that was missing from the end scene. Like in Bad, you can hear the jingling of their chains as they dance around the subway, or the dance-off in You Rock My World where you hear their clothes shuffle and their feet stomp with such an awesome force. I always loved that about Michael's short films, how they had sound effects that added to the 'oomph' of the dance.

Last edited:

I think the best option for a short film would be footage from the recording sessions, Fred Jerkins said that he and his brother Rodney do have some from the original Invincible sessions.. possibly outtakes, the best of those sessions compiled into a montage, showing Michael creating his art behind the scenes, would be a wonderful experience. There doesn't have to be a short film of course, but that's just another possibility.

To be honest, there has to be a lot of unreleased, behind the scenes footage, surely? Perhaps merge this into a video?
A lot of people and fans would be over the moon with that :)

HIStoric;3964834 said:
So what would you suggest, just out of curiosity?

I don't have a specific idea, I just think they need to move away from the clichés and do something more creative. I agree that the video needs to have a story, not just people dancing. Hollywood Tonight had a story but the clichés ruined it to me. And also the fact that IMO the video's story is not quiet what the song is about, just superficially. IMO the song is darker and the video should have refleced that.It could have been more edgy, more interesting, more reflective on how Hollywood exploits these young hopefuls.

I know they meant it as a tribute to MJ, but when you use fedoras, moonwalk and sequined gloves at any given opportunity they become a cliché. Michael himself actually rarely used these in his videos in fact, none of his videos features a sequined glove and I believe only Smooth Criminal and Jam have the moonwalk and just a little bit. Those elements have their time and place they aren't to be randomly used at any opportunity. Similarly please do not dress the dancers in the videos in signature MJ clothes! The Beat It jacket, the Thriller jacket etc. Please no! Cliché!

I'd say try to have a story that relates to the song's theme, try to make it edgy, get rid of clichés. If the song is dark then do not make the video this happy-to-dance stuff. Which does not mean you can't have dance. (Eg. Blood on the Dance Floor is dark and there is dancing in the video but the dancing fits to the dark theme.) Let's take Slave To The Rhythm. I think the song has a great subject - women's exploitation in marriage/relationship. So I hope the video will not be about people clubbing to MJ's music in Beat it jackets.... Or that, yeah the woman is exploited but then she puts on a fedora and a sequined glove and does the moonwalk and all is well and happy again.

Where are all the top directors who really have artistic visions, like David Fincher and Herb Ritts? They should hire someone like that to do the video.

Last edited:

I think that making the music videos animated is the best way to go, and no it doesn't have to be a video of Michael singing and dancing as a cartoon character. (I would hate that) It can be something really cool and creative.

Brad Sundberg showed a clip (the whole song) of when Michael recorded Childhood. I wonder if many of those kind of clips exist, and if the do I would love for them to be a montage to a new song.

They can recreate Michael character in 3D. And I am not talking of a chartoon caracter, but a realistic one! They can use motion capture to make the character to dance and they can create storyes too.

Those things are doable but they are expensive and they cost money!
Who would invest and spend money on Michael's work and his artistic image other than himself!

Until now... it looks like they only want to gain and invest as less as possible!

I say a whole Music video are a story. then before the end a CGI Michael bust out the "pointing" move from TII. They bust into moves then the CGI Michael shrivels into gold Dust ala Remember the Time.

MJ animated with state of the art computer technology.

MJ animated with state of the art computer technology.

i don't think that would be respectable to Michael at all, studio footage would work best but i wouldn't mind if there isn't any short films.

Keep in mind there is only so much you can do with probably 4:3 vhs quality studio footage. Standard for music videos would be 16:9 in FullHD.

I think a really creative animated/hand-drawn video which doesn't necessarly have to feature MJ is the way to go. Or something "artistic" like the Xperia commercial with MJ "flashes" thrown in.

Without thinking about the "mass appeal" I would of course love studio footage!

Keep in mind there is only so much you can do with probably 4:3 vhs quality studio footage. Standard for music videos would be 16:9 in FullHD.

I think a really creative animated/hand-drawn video which doesn't necessarly have to feature MJ is the way to go. Or something "artistic" like the Xperia commercial with MJ "flashes" thrown in.

Without thinking about the "mass appeal" I would of course love studio footage!

the invincible sessions were 1998-2001, when dvd was here..i don't think Michael filmed his studio sessions on old vhs tapes when dvd's where the mainstream by then. Beta tape, probably.

I didn't mean on VHS, but in comparable quality, like "All in your name".

^
oh, i wouldn't say that. The original film reels of the All In Your Name Sessions in HQ Full HD are surely somewhere in the vaults stored away waiting for release.

Of course studio footage was always recorded in highest possible quality by a 8 to 12 men film crew, because a future cinema (probably 3D) release was planned in advance.

I would LOVE studio footage - BUT I really don't think the main puplic cares one bit about MJ singing into a mic... - I think if the video should have a chance to be popular on youtube it needs something animated.

Like Gorillaz - They have some animated videos right? (I do not say the videos are good... Just that videos can be animated.)

Of course a MJ video would need to be innovative in some kind and still have the MJ feel. They would need a great producer/director to make it.

If the song is a hit and the video good it sure could be a youtube hit with many many views...

I am thinking:

STTR
Chicago
BG
APWNN
LNFSG
DYKWYCA
IAAL
CGYWOOM
Escape
??

??Bonus

Not what I want at all, that's 6 already heard songs, but it's what I am assuming they are releasing. They probably want to get the leaked songs out for release as quick as possible and now is their chance. They don't care if the fans have heard leaked songs (see STTR and Michael album).

I also don't think we are getting anymore songs than 10 - MAYBE 11 which is a "bonus" track people like to do today (which insults MJ IMO).

Will be neat to hear some unheard vocals again though.

Last edited:

^
oh, i wouldn't say that. The original film reels of the All In Your Name Sessions in HQ Full HD are surely somewhere in the vaults stored away waiting for release.

Of course studio footage was always recorded in highest possible quality by a 8 to 12 men film crew, because a future cinema (probably 3D) release was planned in advance.

I take it your post is meant ironic?
These things are not always done THAT professional imo. All in your name is just normal camcorder standard definition footage (operated by Barry Gibbs daughter if I remember correctly).

^

Wrong. All In Your Name footage was filmed by Barry Gibb's daughter with her own camera. "It was shot by Ashley Gibb (Barry's daughter) on a high 8 camera."

Really guys? :-D

I was a little sarcastic in your above quoted post... :-D

I do know that MJ probably never had a FULL HD FILM crew with him in the vocal booth... Especially not 8 to 12 men.

High8 camera or something similar would be the common tool of choice on such occasions. I think MJ never intended to release this kind of footage & it was for private documentation.

I am thinking:

STTR
Chicago
BG
APWNN
LNFSG
DYKWYCA
IAAL
CGYWOOM
??
??

??Bonus

Not what I want at all, that's 6 already heard songs, but it's what I am assuming they are releasing. They probably want to get the leaked songs out for release as quick as possible and now is their chance. They don't care if the fans have heard leaked songs (see STTR and Michael album).

I also don't think we are getting anymore songs than 10 - MAYBE 11 which is a "bonus" track people like to do today (which insults MJ IMO).

If LNFSG is changed with Escape I think it would be better.

I think it would be a smart move to get the already leaked songs officially released. - Only very very few hardcore fans have even heard the songs anyway. - Most people do not search for an unknown leaked MJ song they do not know exists!

SO - for 99 out of 100 (or even more) who buys the album it will all be brand new songs they have never heard before! - So it's our own faults that we have heard the leaked songs really - any we are a very small minority!

If we get 11 songs I would think it was a smart move by the Estate to release 5 or 6 already leaked songs. - And then for gods sake prevent any more leaks!!! Get all the leaked songs out of the way (by releasing them!)

Would be a smart move by the estate. - It would piss of 27 members in this forum maybe - but if the album sells 3.000.027 copies and the 3 million people have never heard the songs before it's new songs for them anyway - and then the estate do not need to worry about those leaked songs anymore!

Ah, yes, forgot about Escape!

I am thinking:

STTR
Chicago
BG
APWNN
LNFSG
DYKWYCA
IAAL
CGYWOOM
??
??

??Bonus

I think we'll finally hear Men In Black.

Chicago 1945 & Slave To The Rhythm are confirmed so those 2 are definitely there. I'm pretty sure A Place With No Name and Blue Gangsta will be there too.

I doubt that they'll release I Am/Was The Loser, Love Never Felt So Good and CGYWOOM (because I think Rodney is not on board again for this release).

Do You Know Where Your Children Are is possible but I'm not sure because of the title.

I think maybe new version of Cheater because MJ worked on it/wanted to work on it before he died.
She Was Loving Me is also a possibility as it was considered for MICHAEL.
Also Shut Up And Dance & From The Bottom Of My Heart in my opinion.

If LNFSG is changed with Escape I think it would be better.

I think it would be a smart move to get the already leaked songs officially released. - Only very very few hardcore fans have even heard the songs anyway. - Most people do not search for an unknown leaked MJ song they do not know exists!

SO - for 99 out of 100 (or even more) who buys the album it will all be brand new songs they have never heard before! - So it's our own faults that we have heard the leaked songs really - any we are a very small minority!

If we get 11 songs I would think it was a smart move by the Estate to release 5 or 6 already leaked songs. - And then for gods sake prevent any more leaks!!! Get all the leaked songs out of the way (by releasing them!)

Would be a smart move by the estate. - It would piss of 27 members in this forum maybe - but if the album sells 3.000.027 copies and the 3 million people have never heard the songs before it's new songs for them anyway - and then the estate do not need to worry about those leaked songs anymore!

If we take to twitter and moan & b*tch about that the "newly released" songs aren't so new and we have had them for a long time, the media will pick it up again & the perception can change fast into: 'Estate of MJ sells an album as "new" with mostly old material, fans are unhappy - left wanting more.'

well going back and forth about doing studio footage or animation... Why not do both? 1. there could be more than one video, and why not have both in the same video..

A concept of a video could easily be Mike getting on the pic starting to sing and it takes him to another realm (animated) and as he stops singing, it's back in the studio and shows him taking the headphones off or walking away from the stand..

We can have both of both worlds!

I still want the motion capture from outtakes of ghosts to be used... With the technology today they could create a very realistic image of Michael dancing and singing and make it look un-animated while still CGI.. you put him in an environment that is slightly dim and his face is not directly in the screen it can be really realistic..

I think we'll finally hear Men In Black.

Chicago 1945 & Slave To The Rhythm are confirmed so those 2 are definitely there. I'm pretty sure A Place With No Name and Blue Gangsta will be there too.

I doubt that they'll release I Am/Was The Loser, Love Never Felt So Good and CGYWOOM (because I think Rodney is not on board again for this release).

Do You Know Where Your Children Are is possible but I'm not sure because of the title.

I think maybe new version of Cheater because MJ worked on it/wanted to work on it before he died.
She Was Loving Me is also a possibility as it was considered for MICHAEL.
Also Shut Up And Dance & From The Bottom Of My Heart in my opinion.
If it's Chicago from 2000, it's a Rodney track. But I agree, with Rodney not being on board, we might not see his stuff.

Shut Up And Dance and Bottom of my heart I doubt, too new tracks, they either don't have them or will use it in another project IMO.

If we take to twitter and moan & b*tch about that the "newly released" songs aren't so new and we have had them for a long time, the media will pick it up again & the perception can change fast into: 'Estate of MJ sells an album as "new" with mostly old material, fans are unhappy - left wanting more.'

Yeah - it truely is very sad that fans who have heard the leaked songs ruins a release for complaining about the songs they were never supposed to have heard is being released!

It is not SONY's or The Estates fault that we have heard the songs... - It's our fault and therefore we should never complain about the songs being released...

Don't blame the Estate or SONY - blame yourself!

Back