Xscape General Discussion

Bubs;3998923 said:
From the latest review:)
A Place with no Name
This one received the biggest sonic make over. The original (heard on the deluxe edition), thought to be recorded in the late eighties, is nearly identical to seventies rockers America’s A Horse with no Name. Swedish duo Stargate upped the beat and done away with the acoustic guitars to replace it with a funky wormlike synth-riff. The end result is something that is funky and modern.

OMG, who wrote that??

"recorded in the late eighties"
"Swedish duo"

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

Seriously loving the new version of APWNN! Had to listen to it a few times to really feel it, but yeah, it's so good. At the very first listen I was a bit taken back because the new mix is SO different compared to the demo which I'm used to listening to, but the more I listen to this the better it gets. Just as it did with the new LNFSG mixes. :) And as someone already stated here, turn up the volume on your speakers, this song is fantastic when played LOUD.

New ad for Xscape (Australia)

[youtube]GodL8H2Ogbo[/youtube]

What the f*** kind of an ad is that?

Funny thing about APWN - at first yes, I was taken aback by the LMA riff, it really does sound cheap and out of place. BUT I really like the bass/drums and hopefully the LMA riff will somehow disapear in the bass after several listenings.

Same here. I really like this mix from the first chorus onwards because at this point your ears are used to the riff and it becomes less prominent.

Seriously loving the new version of APWNN! Had to listen to it a few times to really feel it, but yeah, it's so good. At the very first listen I was a bit taken back because the new mix is SO different compared to the demo which I'm used to listening to, but the more I listen to this the better it gets. Just as it did with the new LNFSG mixes. :) And as someone already stated here, turn up the volume on your speakers, this song is fantastic when played LOUD.

What the f*** kind of an ad is that?

No No No, that's not the real ad, it's a fake!!!

This is the real one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLnL9WWxu_8&feature=youtu.be

A Question unrelated to Xscape, did Michael personally ever meet Ellen Degeneres?

Ellen herself said they never met but she wished she could've. Anyway, it's nice and genuine what she does for Michael!

Seriously, I didn't hear any significant difference (better quality, obviously) between the 2010 leaked version.

If we didn't hear the leaked 2008 version we would all be blown away today and praise Stargate for their work. That's exactly why I hate the leaks and why they should STOP forever.

The original version is on the Deluxe for everyone to hear it and that is the concept I'm sure they'll keep for the future releases.

Give the song a chance. The more you listen to it, it becomes better and better.

But if it wasn't leaked, we would all hear the original version anyway on the album. Then we would compare them that way and come to the same conclusion, it would just be that we heard them the other way around. It wouldn't surprise me if I started to dislike 'Loving You' and 'Chicago' after hearing the original versions either, except the difference is the beat in those songs doesn't sound like something from a Sega Megadrive.

No matter which way around I listened to them, I would go for the original with that western vibe and acoustic guitar any day of the week. I might like the new version initially, but then I'd hear the old version and realise how much they messed it up.

Hollywood Tonight is a perfect example for me, I used to love it till I heard the original demo.

Just woke up and listened to this song again, I just love those synths or whatever they're called! :D

I liked the other advert more.

david-brent-dance-o.gif

u killed me with this one hahahahahahahahahaha i couldn't breath for the last 10mn hahahahaha OMG

That's an old fake.

@qbee: MALIBU (German fan club) among others received the album on Monday.
I'm glad it hasn't leaked yet.

Oh Really ??!!! then why is it on the official STargate Twitter Account ???

Amazon.de shipped my Xscape order at 11am today... :) :dancin:

Please stop calling the original version "a demo" because it is not. It is a complete song. Stop insulting Michael's finished songs by calling them demos. - Love Never Felt So Good demo is a demo.

Anything Michael never officially released on a studio album in his lifetime should be considered a demo, given that he was a perfectionist and nothing was perfect until he said, "Time to release this." Hot Street is a demo, despite having full vocals. Blue Gangsta is a demo, despite having full vocals. So on and so forth.

Not for the release, of course. But he finished the vocals and instrumentation. Of course he would work more on its productions. But it is a finished song. It's not a demo.

No, he didn't. He never completed A Place With No Name. The leaked version was just a secondary candidate produced by Neff-U sometime in mid/late 2008. Finished would mean Michael said, "Okay, nothing more we can do here," and he didn't say that (according to Michael Prince).

Anything Michael never officially released on a studio album in his lifetime should be considered a demo, given that he was a perfectionist and nothing was perfect until he said, "Time to release this." Hot Street is a demo, despite having full vocals. Blue Gangsta is a demo, despite having full vocals. So on and so forth.

No, he didn't. He never completed A Place With No Name. The leaked version was just a secondary candidate produced by Neff-U sometime in mid/late 2008. Finished would mean Michael said, "Okay, nothing more we can do here," and he didn't say that (according to Michael Prince).

I disagree with the first part. Completely. A Place With No Name & Blue Gangsta are finished songs, not demos. Meaning he would not change the vocals. Of course he would update or re-work the music and production for the release.

Hollywood Tonight or Love Never Felt So Good are demos:

"A demo version, also called a sample version (sometimes shortened to demo or sample) of a song is one recorded for reference rather than for release. A demo is a way for a musician to approximate their ideas in a fixed format (tape, disc, or increasingly, digital audio files) and provide an example of those ideas to record labels, producers or other artists. Musicians often use demos as quick sketches to share with bandmates or arrangers or simply for personal reference during the songwriting process; in other cases a songwriter might make a demo to send to artists in hopes of having the song professionally recorded."

He would eventually re-record it (professionally).

I disagree with the first part. Completely. A Place With No Name & Blue Gangsta are finished songs, not demos. Meaning he would not change the vocals. Of course he would update or re-work the music and production for the release.

Hollywood Tonight or Love Never Felt So Good are demos:

"A demo version, also called a sample version (sometimes shortened to demo or sample) of a song is one recorded for reference rather than for release. A demo is a way for a musician to approximate their ideas in a fixed format (tape, disc, or increasingly, digital audio files) and provide an example of those ideas to record labels, producers or other artists. Musicians often use demos as quick sketches to share with bandmates or arrangers or simply for personal reference during the songwriting process; in other cases a songwriter might make a demo to send to artists in hopes of having the song professionally recorded."

He would eventually re-record it (professionally).

That definition of demo is exactly what I'm talking about. The vocals are finished, but the music is not completely finalized. (That definition never says that the vocals have to be incomplete ;)) If a song was finished, Michael wouldn't have worked on it any further. He did, though: he kept working on A Place With No Name up to eight months before he died, handing it over to Neff-U to see what he could pull off with the production. Not completely sure about Blue Gangsta though.

I'm So Blue is considered a demo, even though the vocals are finished. Why? Because it hadn't reached Michael's standards at that point of its production.

We aren't talking about a normal artist here; we're talking about Michael Jackson, who slaved over his music for years upon years before even coming close to a level where he was happy with how it sounded. He approved of Theron Feemster's mix of APWNN in 2008, but he never said it was done. As far as any of us know, it could have been completely changed in Michael's lifetime.

APWNN is pretty good after a few listens. Still think Loving You will be the best song on the album but DYKWYCA and BG are my high hopes.

Ok after hearing the 30 second preview and seeing the polarized response to APWNN i decided to listen to it 1 time!(sorry guys over at the oldschool head thread :p) As the song started i was a bit bewildered by it's approach, it was fierce and in your face. The further in i got the more susceptible i became and halfway in the third verse i was dancing doing all kind of crazy stuff. This is what i think about it

The Guitar riffs should not have been omitted. I'm just too fond of the original and it's warm approach with real instruments and i sincerely believe that they could have interjected the riffs somewhere in the production

Why in the love of god did they not include that bassline that was prevalent in the third verse on the whole song? It was in the third verse things started to get smelly!

I love the fact that they re-used one of the "Woohoooo" for the last chorus! The chorus is really the highlight of the song, it's poignant and strong. Though, I wish it was a bit longer because i love those adlibs he does in the end [of the original].

I must commend them for trying to bring Michael closer to today's market and sound. Even though it lacked proper direction and overall a tangible character i can still feel Michael's essence in the song. I can go on about details and what i personally think Michael wouldn't do in terms of production but yeah Mike ain't here anymore so I guess we'll never know how is attitude would have been in 2014. I will be bumping The Re-work and The Original when the CD arrives! :)

one of my coworkers is feeling LNFSG :lol: She's been singing "baby, love never felt so good, and i doubt it ever could, i love you homie, homie" all day. It's too funny to correct :lol:

The average music listener would say A Place With No Name would say it is far better than the original and probably the best track on it. It would suit clubs, reminds me of Fine China by Chris Brown and those ending harmonies! Anyone who prefers the original is more into a different era, this is today and this for me is the strongest yet.

APWNN is pretty good after a few listens. Still think Loving You will be the best song on the album but DYKWYCA and BG are my high hopes.

haha my 3rd time listening to APWNN and I still cant finish the song. Imo, it sounds a little bit downgraded and the music production kinda took out the meaning of the song for me, the version we're used to hearing had the moving sound, the famous guitar riff by the America, that went along with the story really well! But otherwise, the new mix of APWNN is slow and not doing anything for me :no:

A Place With No Name is definitely a single material. I think it should and will be the single. In my opinion it is better than Chicago. But Chicago is awesome too.

Loving You is beautiful but it is not single material in my opinion.

just heard that standard edition just leaked to torrent sites like piratebay :(

I don't think that's true ^

It's completely fake don't worry!
The tracklist had "I have this dream" and "All I Need" :ciao:

No,that one is old....the new one has 8 tracks including Loving you and Chicago.
Well....it had to happen sometime :(

The average music listener would say A Place With No Name would say it is far better than the original and probably the best track on it. It would suit clubs, reminds me of Fine China by Chris Brown and those ending harmonies! Anyone who prefers the original is more into a different era, this is today and this for me is the strongest yet.

I admit I don't like most of the music that is on the charts these days. So maybe the general public will react better to this track than I do. That's why I'm curious about the reception by the general public.

Back