Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

Yeah, my Xcitment toned down, a little bit.
Or it might be, because they already leaked the songs. :(
BTW what did they to the original Xscape? It sounds not funky anymore, it became just boring. I prefer the leaked version!

Update:
They muted the Shakers &
the Hi-hats, and then they made the pacing slower.
Now, it just sounds boring :(

Last edited:

I think this album is awesome, even though I dislike APWNN. Though tbh, I think only a handful of the songs have hit single potential, the new Xscape, the new Chicago, DYKWYCA and of course LNFSG. So that's half the album being heavily listened to by the public, if everything goes according to how I'm hoping it would. Plus we've been given the original versions, which is something a large portion of us asked for, for future album releases. As a whole, deluxe edition and all, I'd rate the album a 9 out of 10. Just judging off the 8 new songs by themselves though, 7/10.

I think that's great for a second go-round, it shows improvement, possibly the Estate is getting more in tune with what modern producers can fit with Michael's music and do wonders with it for the most part, and those who can't. They definitely didn't make any "Michael" level mistakes here either, thankfully. So I'm happy.

EDIT: Another bonus deluxe goody, you can hear Michael snapping his fingers during the last chorus of the song in the Original version. Hehehe.

lol no wonder they dont want people discussing the album!

010_jackson_painting-300x400.jpg

1089978%20-%20Michael_Jackson.jpg

615351%20-%20Dan_Lacey%20Michael_Jackson.jpg

Last edited:
Thoth;4000510 said:
It's easy to formulate a final opinion about the album ...

1. LOVE NEVER FELT SO GOOD

1983 Original Version - 8/10 (Love the simplicity & naivety of this track. Just MJ and a piano. Beautiful!.)

2014 John McClain Remix - 4/10 (Heard the first minute, an utter mess.)

2014 Timbaland Remix - 7/10 (A modern, groovy swanky spin that still somehow maintains the "essence" of the original. Would have been better without those cliche JT "Future/Sex" Ad-libs ["Dance" "Lemme See You Dance"]

2. CHICAGO

1999 Original Version - 6/10 [Sounds like something off Monica's / Brandy's 98 albums. Michael's vocals don't disappoint though. Vigorous and on point as usual.

2014 Timbaland Remix - 7/10 [Not Bad. Doesn't add much to the original though.]

3. LOVING YOU

1980's Original Version - 9/10 [Love it!. Sounds like a crossover between "Fly Away" & Randy's (Janet's) "One More Chance". It's sweet, breezy, melodic and simple. Definitely understand why it didn't make the BAD album though. Come to think about it, it sounds Pre-BAD, maybe something in the early stages, right after Victory. Before Michael even had a blueprint with Quincy for BAD.

2014 Timbaland Remix - 5/10 [ A good song is a good song. All Tim does here is add a few stomps and some bass, i'm not sure since I only heard the first minute or so. But yea, stick to the original.]

4. A PLACE WITH NO NAME

1999 Original Version - 8/10 [Mike's own beautiful rendition to this American rock classic while still maintaining the essence of the original. That's how you cover songs people. Take notes. And the rawness, grittiness and passion in his vocals are a true highlight here.

2014 Stargate Remix - 3/10 [A joke. Seriously. Pass. Its not even worth talking about]

5. SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM

1989 Original Version - 5/10 [The weakest outtake here. I understand why MJ decided to cut off Babyface and L.A Reid from the Dangerous project. Their production just lacked that "spark" & "velocity" that he was looking for in my opinion. This sounds like a pop version of Sade's "Smooth Operator" but on steroids, especially the chorus. Then again both were recorded in the 80's.

2014 Timbaland Remix - 3/10 [I swear the intro sounds similar to JT's "Amnesia" (which Tim also produced), anyway, this is too cluttered even for my modern taste with all its electronic bleeps & glitches. Wanna a decent contemporary version?, go check out Tricky Stewart's remix in 2010. Way more supreme.

6. DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE

1980s Original Version - 7/10 [I actually prefer this one to the leaked 2010 version. Sounds a lot more genuine and authentic. It's a perfect fusion of Pop and somewhat, gospel. If the Andraé Crouch Choir had sang background vocals, it would have fitted perfectly on an album like HIStory or even Dangerous]

2014 Timbaland Remix - 5/10 [Not Bad, not great either. I admire Tim's effort on this one. The chorus slaps hard and the song actually picks up in the last quarter. Again, if you wanna a "contemporary" remix, the 2010 version will suffice]

7. BLUE GANGSTA

1999 Original Version - 8/10 [i don't know, something is off about this version, sounds so sluggish. It's like they drained all the energy and intensity out of it. Want my advice stick to the 2010 version, it ROCKS!!!. Mike sounds fierce, paranoid and smooth. Also, the 2010 version really brings out the lush harmonization, it'll give you chills.][2010 leaked version - 10/10]

2014 Timbaland Remix - 5/10 [Meh ... I don't think Tim really knew what to do with this one. Listen to the first minute, you'll understand what I mean.]

8. XSCAPE

2000's Original Version - 9/10 [Again, sounds a bit different than the leaked version but but the clarity of the vocals are superior on this version. You can actually make out what he's saying. This song grew on me through the years. Love it now.

2014 Rodney Jerkins Remix - 6/10 [So Rodney remixed his own track just for the sake of it? and made a mess of it. This sounds lazy and inconsistent. Almost a fan made mix. There's actually horns at some points throughout the song & they sound hilarious. However, I do like the synth work on the hook. That's vintage MJ there.

Final Thoughts ... Come on, lol ... Cop them originals off Itunes or Amazon. Re-Tag them and then add them to your collection of MJ unreleased /Demos /Outtakes.

I have been following this thread from the start without logging in as I forgot my password but I just reset it as I needed to comment!! This album is class and sounds so fresh especially when comparing it to Michael.
I think timberland has done amazing loving you I can't stop singing and after blue gangsta leaking I came on here expecting people to be buzzing about it but can't believe no one seems to be in love with it, I have had my headphones on loud dancing around in my grundys!! Apwnn was only only let down but after a few lisens to it loud it has turn me round, it has much more substance than the original.
Iam holding out for dynwyca and xscape but can't wait !!!!!

In this articole from today on VH1 they mentioned again Mary J Blige :scratch:

The King Lives! Listen To An Exclusive Stream Of Michael Jackson’s New Track, “Blue Gangsta”
May 8, 2014 | By VH1

Embed: Get More: Michael Jackson,
Michael Jackson videos
Five years ago this June, we mourned the loss of one of the greatest entertainers that this planet has ever seen. Michael Jackson‘s music dazzled our ears, his dancing blew our minds, and his passing undoubtedly affected us all. But we’re not going to dwell on the sad stuff now, because today is a joyous day, an historic day, and a reason to celebrate. Today we are thrilled to share an exclusive stream of a BRAND NEW MJ track, “Blue Gangsta,” available right now! Savor this moment, because you’re about to hear your new favorite song for the very first time, straight from the mouth of a certified musical genius. Go put on a single white glove, turn it up, get down, and rejoice. Long live the king!
“Blue Gangsta” is a song off of XSCAPE, a exciting new collection of never-before-heard Michael tunes that will be guaranteed to turn you into a dancing machine. Hand selected by industry legend L.A. Reid, these eight cuts from the vault have been given a modern shine by production wizards Timbaland, StarGate, and Jerome “J-Roc” Harmon, as well as guest spots from Mary J. Blige, Questlove, and D’Angelo. Last week we got a listen to the lead single “Love Never Felt So Good,” funked up with vocals from none other than Justin Timberlake. If the whole album sounds this good, we’re predicting the smash of the summer.
The record drops on May 13th, but today’s sneak peak will hopefully keep us satisfied until then. If you’re hungry for more, check out these incredible vintage interviews from Michael himself! If you’re still (Quincy) jonesin’ for another MJ fix, well then swing by tomorrow and we’ll see what we can do…

Now that I think about it, this album gets a 10/10 from me. The only original track that outdoes the reproduction, for me, is Blue Gangsta; everything else is superior. I'm beyond satisfied.

Do you ever post anything constructive, this album is amazing we are all so lucky

I´m just 15 years old but I´m listening more to older music... But I can tell you anyway (if you want it) how my class mates and friends are likeing the music:) Whatever: I havn´t listen to one song except both versions of love never felt so good. I´m so exciting of tomorrow, when I will buy the album!

I think gangsta is amazing, is the original on the deluxe the same as the leaked? because I can't understand how people don't think the rework is amazing, play it loud on your headphones and it's impossible not to dance your ass off!

i appreciate and cherish this album very much, looking forward to it arriving.. extremely hoping it come's tomorrow.. craving the need of blasting New Michael Jackson :heart:

I have been following this thread from the start without logging in as I forgot my password but I just reset it as I needed to comment!! This album is class and sounds so fresh especially when comparing it to Michael.
I think timberland has done amazing loving you I can't stop singing and after blue gangsta leaking I came on here expecting people to be buzzing about it but can't believe no one seems to be in love with it, I have had my headphones on loud dancing around in my grundys!! Apwnn was only only let down but after a few lisens to it loud it has turn me round, it has much more substance than the original.
Iam holding out for dynwyca and xscape but can't wait !!!!!

So you felt the need to log in, quote me and tell me that? Lol. cheers. I appreciate it.

There are no hits on this album

Read the general publics feedback on gangsta on MJs fb page.

Weird weird weird. Xscape sounds terrible as well. No power, flat and boring.

the new DYKWYCA is waaays too experimental i think..he wanted to make it keyboards/synth driven like the demo, but i guess if he heard the 2010 version he would have done a better mix :D

The best thing in that new mix is the last minute when MJ sings: Just a baby, Just a baby. just a baby (or whatever he says it ) :D

DYKWYCA should have been different :/ i cant get into that song.
the demo + 2010 mix are great.

the media was so positive about DYKWYCA.

DYKWYCA should have been different :/ i cant get into that song.
the demo + 2010 mix are great.

the media was so positive about DYKWYCA.

Yeah, I don't get what the media saw in it. To me that song is completely ruined.

So you felt the need to log in, quote me and tell me that? Lol. cheers. I appreciate it.

I just wanted to be involved, and say to many people look for negatives in the songs instead of looking how amazing they are!

There are no hits on this album

Read the general publics feedback on gangsta on MJs fb page.

Weird weird weird. Xscape sounds terrible as well. No power, flat and boring.

Hhahhhahhahahha... wait.... hhaahhahahahhahhahahahaha!

My Ranking:

1. Xscape
2. Chicago
3. Slave 2 The Rythm
4. Lovin' You
5. Love Never Felt So Good
6. Blue Gangster
7. DYKWYCA
8. APWNN

Simply put, in my opinion, this album is amazing! We got everything we asked for. The demo's are there as Michael left them. The mixes are fantastic. Albeit not to the taste of everybody but then again, what is! If we all agreed on everything life would be boring.

I think it really comes down to opinion of each person. From what I am reading we are split on our opinions. Some of us like some songs whilst others prefer different songs... such is life. Just because you don't like something doesn't automatically mean that EVERY SINGLE PERSON is gonna hate it too!

Enjoy this people... this might be the last (and first time for many) chance to see the level of hype that Michael can create. This is a rare opportunity to experience a little of the magic that a new Michael Jackson release can bring.

Xx

To clear some things up:

The original Chicago demo also have the same "smiled" bug as the new mix...So we shouldn't blame the producers..it must be a problem in the original tape :D

The mood in my house (songs : APWNN (new one) STTR (new and demo) looping

carlton-dance-o.gif

Is there someone who can get a PROPER good quality recording of the billboard segment please. not filming the TV screen (appreciated ) but we need actual recording , so we have good quality video and sound.. Thanks. Who can do this ?

Sunday May 18th 8pm EST / 7 C - ABC Network

Michael Jackson to Unleash World Premiere Experience At Billboard Music Awards
http://www.billboardmusicawards.com/ and http://www.billboard.com/articles/events/bbma-2014

Is there someone who can get a PROPER good quality recording of the billboard segment please. not filming the TV screen (appreciated ) but we need actual recording , so we have good quality video and sound.. Thanks. Who can do this ?

Sunday May 18th 8pm EST / 7 C - ABC Network

Michael Jackson to Unleash World Premiere Experience At Billboard Music Awards
http://www.billboardmusicawards.com/ and http://www.billboard.com/articles/events/bbma-2014

i support this idea also, would love someone to record abc hd using there dvr's! would be great to see what they have planned in high quality.

10/10 for this album DYKWYCA demo is brilliant it resembles the leaked version only its more 80s hip hop style the new version is also BRILLIANT Blue Gangsta is brilliant same with Xscape which surprised me with MJ saying Darkchild in the intro AMAZING JOB ESTATE 10/10 Slave to the rhythm demo is better than 2010 and 2014 version IMO

Retweetet von Ivy
Pop Deity Mike Jack @K_N_Ife · 5 h.

Like What is happening!!!! It's like an MJsplosion. This Promo doesn't give you a chance to miss shit!!! #MJXSCAPE

Simply put, in my opinion, this album is amazing! We got everything we asked for. The demo's are there as Michael left them. The mixes are fantastic. Albeit not to the taste of everybody but then again, what is! If we all agreed on everything life would be boring.

I think it really comes down to opinion of each person. From what I am reading we are split on our opinions. Some of us like some songs whilst others prefer different songs... such is life. Just because you don't like something doesn't automatically mean that EVERY SINGLE PERSON is gonna hate it too!

Enjoy this people... this might be the last (and first time for many) chance to see the level of hype that Michael can create. This is a rare opportunity to experience a little of the magic that a new Michael Jackson release can bring.

Xx
I've spent ages thinking what to write and you've said it all for me. Thank you.

I just wanted to be involved, and say to many people look for negatives in the songs instead of looking how amazing they are!

It's called constructive criticism and formulating your own opinion, not negativity. Music is subjective. Different strokes for different folks. That's how I feel towards the project. You might have different feelings. That's your right. Just because I don't endorse it or enjoy some of the songs you do, does it mean in anyway that i'm looking for negativity.

Also, to log in and quote/reply to me specifically because of a personal review reflects a sense of insecurity and this idea that it's prohibited to voice my opinion and say what I really feel about the album. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I've been writing reviews for years so I'm used to comments like that. Lol. I'm just glad my criticism got your attention.

Yeah, my Xcitment toned down, a little bit.
Or it might be, because they already leaked the songs. :(
BTW what did they to the original Xscape? It sounds not funky anymore, it became just boring. I prefer the leaked version!

Update:
They muted the Shakers &
the Hi-hats, and then they made the pacing slower.
Now, it just sounds boring :(

They didn't DO anything to the originals, the ones of the CD are the untouched originals and the ones leaked were mixed post 2009

Wow...another rape job Do You Know. What the hell was the estate/sony thinking when they worked on that and APWNN? 2 great gems now ruined.

MJ is spinning in his grave.

Wow...another rape job Do You Know. What the hell was the estate/sony thinking when they worked on that and APWNN? 2 great gems now ruined.

MJ is spinning in his grave.

personal preference not all songs are to be your liking i personally loved the new version

Back