Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

The new DYKWCA reminds me kinda of a Nintendo videogame haha :/ Too many weird sounds that doesnt add anything to the song.

They butchered it imo. I listened to it a few times but it doesnt do anything for me... oh crap :(

Michael HATED remixes and said so many times in his life.

Yep. I remember him saying this numerous times. He actually didn't give a rats ass about the HIStory remixes on BOTDF, he just wanted those 5 songs released in any form, even as an EP but I read somewhere that Sony declined. I think the only remix he acknowledged was 2BAD with Wyclef Jean which he actually re-recorded since the original song was part of the Ghosts project. I'm not sure.

Michael HATED remixes and said so many times in his life. All these songs are, are really bad remixes. The essence of the originals were completely crapped on. You can't tell me by listening to APWNN and DYKWYCA you can hear any of what Michael intended to have that was on the previous versions. It's all been stripped away.

APWNN is completely different from the demo, you're right about that, but I am not Michael therefore I can't go around claiming to know what Michael would think. None of us should do that. In my opinion we should stick to giving our OWN opinions on the songs. I don't mind if others don't feel the same way that I do about the songs, but I really don't like people saying "this or that isn't what Michael would like".

Michael HATED remixes and said so many times in his life. All these songs are, are really bad remixes. The essence of the originals were completely crapped on. You can't tell me by listening to APWNN and DYKWYCA you can hear any of what Michael intended to have that was on the previous versions. It's all been stripped away.

Buy the deluxe. Problem solved. :)

1. Xscape (NEW)
2. Chicago (ORIGINAL)
3. Slave 2 The Rythm (ORIGINAL)
4. Lovin' You (NEW)
5. Love Never Felt So Good (NEW)
6. Blue Gangster (NEW)
7. DYKWYCA (ORIGINAL)
8. APWNN (ORIGINAL)

So (4) originals and (4) New. It may seem balanced, but i'd still say the originals came out better than I expected.

BG is mostly identical to the leaked version, DYKWYCA differs from the leaked 2010 version. A Place Without No Name is the same as the leak, and Xscape is a bit different in that Michael's lyrics are now really audible and there may be more ad-libs, not sure though.

I think Xscape is the same just much better quality. BG is actually quite different (details) that the leaked 2010 version. I love it and I didn't like the leaked version so much.

This release is EPIC!!

This proves once again that even from the grave in 2014 MJ is still, and will forever be, the one and only KING OF POP !!!!

I am totally with you, just played album through for the first time amazing!!, first hearing of DYKWYCA and it sounds so atmospheric love it and Xscape what amazing way to finish the album !!

LNFSG

New > Original

Chicago

New = Original

Loving You

New > Original

APWNN

Original > New

STTR

Original = New

DYKWYCA

Original > New

Blue Gangsta

Original > New

Xscape

Original=New

Overall, as an album I prefer to listen to the demo part. Unfortunatelly DYKWYCA and APWNN make me wanna skip on the remix part.

Mine:

1. Love Never Felt So Good (Duet with Justin Timberlake)
2. Chicago (Timbaland 2014 version)
3. Loving You (Timbaland 2014 version)
4. A Place With No Name (original version)
5. Slave To The Rhythm (Timbaland 2014 version)
6. Do You Know Where Your Children Are (2010 version with Steve Lukather)
7. Blue Gangsta (original version)
8. Xscape (2014 version)

So that is: 5 NEW, 2 originals and 1 unreleased (leaked) for me.

So....are the leaked 2010 songs BG, DYKWYCA, SLAVE, XSCAPE not actually how Michael left them but were new mixes done by someone else?

are the vocals different than the 2010 leak?

to me they seem less agressive, similar to the outtakes from the bad album! who knows, i'm curious if the recording dates are in the booklet...

So....are the leaked 2010 songs BG, DYKWYCA, SLAVE, XSCAPE not actually how Michael left them? There new mixes done by someone?

:yes:

If that's the case then I need a clarification.

What is original, what is the remix:

Thriller (album version) vs Thriller (video version)
The Way You Make Me Feel (album version) vs The Way You Make Me Feel (video version)
Smooth Crilinal (album version) vs Smooth Criminal (video version)
In The Closet (album version) vs In The Closet (Video Club Remix version)
Remember The Time (album version) vs Remember The Time (Video version)
Dangerous (album version) vs Dangerous (Video live remix version)
History (album version) vs History (Video remix version)

etc.

In addition not to mention all the bunch of maxi CD remixes, what about MJ's live performances in which he included remixes and megamixes such as They Don'T Care About Us/History/She Drives Me Wild or on This Is It show Shake Your Body performance, or Threatend/Thriller performance.

How about the video Ghosts in which MJ literally BUTCHERS (to my ears in a positive way) the original version of the song 2 BAD ?

So let's cut the crap and stop act as if we knew what MJ would have loved. MJ LOVED RHYTHM, BEAT, DANCE, and even remix-butchering the songs judging by the releases I mentioned right above.

may 9th is only 15 minutes away now :)!

may 9th is only 15 minutes away now :)!

Yes but I have a strange feeling that the CD stores might be closed for some reasons.

After listening through the second half of the deluxe album (Original demos) I am now even more amazed buy the work that has been done on these tracks, they are good but they way they have been modernised and sound so clean is nothing short of a miracle and don't no what some fans want because if they released just the demos on an album as they stand it wouldn't be half as good.

I'm a Michael Jackson fan and have all his records but never collected the leaked tracks and unreleased stuff. I first found this forum when the news of Xscape was released and I thought I like to hear the gossip and rumors about the release. I have to says it's been an entertaining few weeks
So for me I'm hearing the remixed songs as new, I haven't heard the original mixes of any of the songs (will wait until I get my deluxe copy). So it's seems to be a totally different experience for me as each track has been released as I have nothing to compare to, and that's great. I like every track so far and I like the production as well, it's seems to hold together well as an album and not just a collection of tracks from different era's (The original versions I suspect may feel like a collection of songs and not an album). From the first 6 tracks alone this is by far better than Michael, an album I skip straight to track 8 every time (I may add the final 3 tracks to Xscape to give me a 11 track album). I suspect I'll make an playlist of the best version of each track (original or remix) so everyone is a winner. I don't understand why the producers are getting criticized for the remixes, you have the originals as well and you can make a playlist of your favourite versions. What other album has ever done that.

Love Never Felt So Good - The JT version is the one for me, the bit where the timing is out on the solo version does my head in. How that got out the studio I'll never know.

Chicago and Loving - All the die hard fans on this board say these are the strongest tracks, I suspect it's because they don't have another version to compare them to. Good songs but not standout tracks

APWNN The standout track by a country mile. MJ's vocals are nothing short of brilliant and the minimal instrumentation only enhances them.

STTR Only heard a couple of times but 3rd behind APWNN and LNFSG

Blue Gangsta Only heard once but sounds familiar.

Reading all 900 pages of this thread I have some sympathy for the die hard fans who have wanted a new album and deserve the joy of one, however I get the impression that the fact they heard the originals to most of the tracks before it's spoilt it somewhat. For me it's been brilliant, entertaining and will be my favourite album of the year so far.

I can't wait to hear the final 2 tracks tomorrow and then it's my deluxe edition next week

MJ is more spinning to see the negativity from his own fans towards his songs than from people who worked hard to dare release a futuristic album with originals included.

MJ would probably love the production, the same way he loved to innovate from I Want You Back sound to 2000 Watts sound.
Let's be clear about this: these 'contemporized' versions are not 'updated' or 'finalized' versions of Michael Jackson demos, they are completely different tracks. Melodies, hooks, rhythms were all changed freely. The 'Michael' album was a disaster, but the producers that worked on that seemed to stray less (musically) from the original vision than they did on this record. Whether you like the new versions on Xscape is a different matter, but it can't be denied that they are remixes in essence.

Whether Michael would have liked them or not is something I'm sure we all have our opinions about, but none of us know for sure.

So....are the leaked 2010 songs BG, DYKWYCA, SLAVE, XSCAPE not actually how Michael left them but were new mixes done by someone else?

BG, DYKWYCA - work in progress mixes for MICHAEL
SLAVE Tricky Stewart - 2 versions leaked - work in progress and final version for MICHAEL.

Xscape leaked in 2003 and it is original by MJ.

Yes but I have a strange feeling that the CD stores might be closed for some reasons.

BnIgrjYIUAAvvc9.jpg

I would like to post a fan review but cannot until Tuesday as per the forum rules (and ridiculous multiple release dates instead of a worldwide launch).

I will only say there is a reason the cd is called Xscape!

yes, my wise geek. However, itunes is always open.

My wise geek, how do you buy a physical CD from itunes? :poke:

Let's be clear about this: these 'contemporized' versions are not 'updated' or 'finalized' versions of Michael Jackson demos, they are completely different tracks. Melodies, hooks, rhythms were all changed freely. The 'Michael' album was a disaster, but the producers that worked on that seemed to stray less (musically) from the original vision than they did on this record. Whether you like the new versions on Xscape is a different matter, but it can't be denied that they are remixes in essence.

Whether Michael would have liked them or not is something I'm sure we all have our opinions about, but none of us know for sure.

You know in essence everything is a remix. Even when you go to the cinema to watch a movie, it is a remix of pictures that have been put together after shooting at different places and times different scenes.

The same goes with the songs, there can be different takes, different recordings, and different instruments/versions that accompany the voice.
Now whichever way you go, MJ is dead and will never be able to update the songs. So either someone else updates them, someone who knows how MJ liekd to work, or we leave the demo versions, sth that MJ wouldn't like necessarily le us hear them because he was a perfectionist and because he considered them unfinished.

Original Chicago is my favorite song of the album. Yes !

Deluxe edition now available on Spotify.

Ok, just listened to DYKWYCA and it was..ermh..interesting. On that one I prefer the demo, lol. Other than that the new versions are dope, I'm extremely happy with this album!

Some people are much too hard to please, we're getting the original recording's done by Michael Jackson himself. He isn't here to overlook thing's any longer, instead of drawing quick opinions.. fans should be supporting this project.. it sustains Michael's legacy, as well as bringing vibrant/fresh sounds to the table.

Good post. These whiny gripes about tampering with demos, remixes, blah blah is just plain silly! If Michael were alive today he would be working with the hottest, trendiest producers in the game. You can be darn sure Michael wouldn't just release skeletal demos of his songs. The cat was hip to what was hip.

Look Mr. Super Duper MJ Fan, protector of all that is Michael, the label have gone out of their way to to handle "Xscape" with T.L.C. It's as if they were reading the MJ forums to know exactly what the fans want...and they have delivered. You get the original demos just as Michael left them...so consider the new mixes as just a bonus. Plus they are promoting this project like it was 1987 all over again. They severely botched "Michael" but have obviously learned their lesson. "Love Never Felt So Good" is on it's way to being the biggest Michael single since the History era.

Deluxe edition now available on Spotify.

wtf already? I had to check and its true... the album is on spotify now!

doesnt they usually release albums on spotify like a week or so after the release?

You know in essence everything is a remix. Even when you go to the cinema to watch a movie, it is a remix of pictures that have been put together after shooting at different places and times different scenes.

The same goes with the songs, there can be different takes, different recordings, and different instruments/versions that accompany the voice.
There can be, but there are varying degrees of course. To stick to your movie analogy, let's say a director passes away who was working on a film. A different director can come in and maintain the same storyline and actors that were planned, colourgrade the film properly and maybe add a couple of lines of dialogue that were not yet finished. Another director, however, might decide to take some scenes from one of the actors but build a completely different narrative around it, reshoot parts that were already done in a different way, etc. Whereas the first can be seen as an attempt to 'finish' what the original director could not, the latter clearly cannot.

Now whichever way you go, MJ is dead and will never be able to update the songs. So either someone else updates them, someone who knows how MJ liekd to work, or we leave the demo versions, sth that MJ wouldn't like necessarily le us hear them because he was a perfectionist and because he considered them unfinished.
MJ also wouldn't necessarily like someone to remix his work. Again, what MJ would have wanted in this case is not something we can know for sure. My point was just that I do not think you can call these 'contemporized' versions "his songs" like you did in your earlier post. I don't think criticizing these updated tracks is criticizing MJ's work.

As I have said before the cd is to introduce michael to new market plus a lot of the fans who like it also. The originals are here also.

I swear that some of you would even complain about mikes choice if he where hear.
of course when Michael was making this is it I remember quite a few ofvyou complaining.

Terry

Back