Your Opinion - Could MJ Have Done All Fifty Shows?

Could MJ Have Done All Fifty Shows?

• HELL YES!! He could have done 50 AND MORE! (please explain below)

Votes: 104 21.4%
  • Yeah, I think he was ready for 50, with the breaks here and there. (please explain below)

Votes: 248 51.0%
  • No, he was not healthy enough to do 50 shows. (please explain below)

Votes: 134 27.6%

• Total voters
Re: So...do you guys think he could have done all 50 shows?

Michael is not an idiot you know............

If he knew he couldn't do it.....he wouldn't!!!!!

And he wasn't forced to do anything he didn't want to do!!!!!!!

AMEN! it's so true! GOD bless

the debts ahd nothing to do with the shows interms of he had to do them because of that. mj had a deal in place from around 07 where the debts were being paid off from the money made by the sony/atv cat. all that money was put into a trust fund and went straight from there to pay off the loans.

this thread shouldnt even excist, the mans dead and u are all debating whether he would have got through the run of shows. gald thats all some of u have to wonder about. tasteless tactless and disrespectful

And who owns the sony cat???? SONY!!! When sony are using their profits to help clear someones debt, they expect to see some profit from their investment. A business is about making money, not loosing it. They knew if they could help MJ get out of debt, that MJ would have to do something for them. Also, MJ had to share the profits from his beatles cat too I believe as part of this deal which I really think he didn't want to do.

If you don't like the thread, don't read/comment it, this is a pretty important subject area and somewhat a good idea for MJ fans to discuss it.

And who owns the sony cat???? SONY!!!
u man the sony/atv cat? if so MJ AND SONY own it 50/50. so im not sure what u are saying. u seem to be getting your info from tabloid reports rather than the court docs that were available on this at the time.

Also, MJ had to share the profits from his beatles cat too I believe as part of this deal which I really think he didn't want to do.
that was the deal from when the 2 cats were mereged in or around 1995.sony and ATV MERGEd to make one big company and profits from both cats came together. and its not just the beatles cat the ATV held tens of thousands of songs the beatles song were all of couple of hundred

this is a pretty important subject
no its not. its irrelevent in the scheme of things. no one will ever know so u can debate it till the cows come home. theres slightly more important issues to worry about

But I swear he owned HIS own cat, and didn't want to share it, same with Beatles cat. The Beatles cat was where the money was, it was the Beatles!!!

On your last comment, I guess you're right that we can debate this until the cows come home, but I feel there should be a good in-depth, non-biased documentary regarding the This Is It tour and should interview friends, family, employees, business partners and reporters.

There was a documentary released shortly after MJ's death by a reporter called 'Michael Jackson's Last Days', it's on youtube, its pretty short but does get some good sources although many who were involved with This Is It were not allowed to speak about unless they were allowed to.

you guys forget that he was massive, although his debts may of not been that bad, I do recall events where his stuff was being auctioned and at the last minute withdrawn from the auction, which is reason to believe he was saved at the last minute.

Michael was trying to get his belongings back before the This Is It concerts were announced. And it's more likely as soon as Michael got rid of Dr Tohme Tohme, then he was able to take legal action because the likes of Dr Tohme Tohme signed deals behind Michael's back. Remember Dr Tohme Tohme, suddenly found £5 million of Michael's money in cash when Michael died, and even know he has some of Michael's belongings that he shouldn't have had.

No one suggests Michael didn't have debts. But Michael wasn't in a position were he had to sell off his belongings to make money, because Michael still had a huge income. He still owned 50% of Sony/ATV, owned 100% of MiJac Music which holds the publishing rights to all the songs he's written/composed, plus those of Sly & The Family Stone and other artists. Michael owned the masters from all his albums from Off The Wall to Present, and Michael is one of the few artists to own his masters to his major albums. Prince doesn't and neither does Madonna. Michael would still have been earning millions each year, even with debts. We also don't know what the situation is with Sony and Michael financially, but the $200 debt to Sony is either a lie are a gross exaggeration by the media. Also when Michael mentioned he wasn't in $200 million debt to Sony, and Sony issued a strong statement saying Michael wasn't in $200 million debt to them, and that they had no idea where Michael got that information from.
Also Michael's main income wasn't The Beatles songs, it was his own music. This is Michael Jackson were talking about, who along with The Beatles is the biggest possibly the biggest selling music artist/s of all time (I doubt Elvis Presley is, his music sales are exaggerated by fans and the media).

We don't know why Michael sold 50% of Neverland, it may have been to pay off a debt or as a rumored business venture to turn it in to a theme park. All we know is that after the 2005 trial, Michael no longer viewed Neverland as his home and vowed never to return there, and Michael just let the place rot because he wanted to.

Michael was doing this This Is It concerts for his children, his fans and the put his legacy back at the top and reclaim his position as the No.1 artist in the world. It was always very likely Michael would have toured again, but he had a miserable decade from 2001, and it wouldn't have been right for Michael to sure so soon after his trial as so many fans kept demanding on various fan sites. In 2009 Michael was in a good place, and the events from 2001-05 were fading in to the past and it was the right time for Michael to tour again. Everything would have gone brilliantly for Michael, if Dr Murray did his job properly, by giving Michael better medical advise and not injecting him with propofol.

All this stuff about Michael touring to pay off huge debts, dying with a drug ravaged body etc are pure tabloid crap and not based on actual fact. The only thing that is bad is that Michael should still be alive, because he wasn't the walking dead like Elvis was for the last few years of his life, whi had to keep performing in Las Veges due to a 7yr contract he signed which gave his manager who was in debt a higher rate than Elvis. Michael signed a 50/50 deal with AEG, and both would have earned record breaking amounts of money for the This Is It concerts. Another thing is Prince's O2 Arena concerts in 2007 was the same deal as Michael's, no one ever suggested Prince was in debt albums. Prince did the O2 Arena because he wanted to and show fans in Europe he was still amazing, and that would have been exactly the same for Michael. Sadly with Michael negative speculation for his reasons for playing concerts or doing almost anything has to come in to play. If Michael was doing the O2 Arena concerts to pay of debts (which I doubt as he would have toured much earlier), he wouldn't have been the first or even last artist to do so, as stars like Elton John have toured in the past to pay off huge debts etc

There was a documentary released shortly after MJ's death by a reporter called 'Michael Jackson's Last Days'

That documentary is not credible, and is nothing more than a sick joke. The maker of that documentary never gets his facts right about Michael, and made another documentary that was full of lies about the 1993 false allegations and the 2005 trial. I suggest you get your information from more credible sources.

Last edited:

I never said that doc was credible, just said it had a good sources and the people he was asking could only give so much info due to their contract.

Also, on MJ's private home movies, he said he hated to tour because it takes too much out of him, he may not of been in ill health at the beginning of the rehearsals, but it definitely did take a lot out of him where he was forced to take drugs. If takes it so hard on himself to tour and to do this at the age of 50, something was bound to go wrong.

Furthermore, I read and watch various sources in order to draw my own argument.

Michael is not an idiot you know............

If he knew he couldn't do it.....he wouldn't!!!!!

And he wasn't forced to do anything he didn't want to do!!!!!!!
So true.
Some people claimed that the doc who did his physical forged the results so that it looked like MJ was in better shape than he really was. I don't think Michael would have risked his health. Like: "I feel like crap, the doctor says I'm in a bad shape, I'll do the concerts".
Michael was fit to do the concerts.

But I swear he owned HIS own cat, and didn't want to share it, same with Beatles cat. The Beatles cat was where the money was, it was the Beatles!!!

On your last comment, I guess you're right that we can debate this until the cows come home, but I feel there should be a good in-depth, non-biased documentary regarding the This Is It tour and should interview friends, family, employees, business partners and reporters.

There was a documentary released shortly after MJ's death by a reporter called 'Michael Jackson's Last Days', it's on youtube, its pretty short but does get some good sources although many who were involved with This Is It were not allowed to speak about unless they were allowed to.
im sorry but u "knowledge" on this is based off tabloids.u really need to read up on the facts.

i really dont know what u are on about. the sony/atv cat is a company owned 50/50 by the mj estate and sony.they share the profits 50/50. in 1995 mj merged his ATV cat with the sony cat. sony paid him around 100 mill in 95 to do this. mjs own songs are in the MIJAC cat. mj owns that 100% that cat also contains many songs by sly stone and jackie wilson amongst many others.

There was a documentary released shortly after MJ's death by a reporter called 'Michael Jackson's Last Days', it's on youtube, its pretty short but does get some good sources although many who were involved with This Is It were not allowed to speak about unless they were allowed to
the fact u are quoting this documentry kinda sums up what i said above. i take it u have no clue who created this documentry and thee previous documentry he created about mj. u might aswell go get info from sneddon and dimond and takethat as fact aswell.

I never said that doc was credible, just said it had a good sources
well thats the same thing. if a docu has good sources then it is deemed credible. it cant be one or the other

lso, on MJ's private home movies, he said he hated to tour because it takes too much out of him, he may not of been in ill health at the beginning of the rehearsals, but it definitely did take a lot out of him where he was forced to take drugs. If takes it so hard on himself to tour and to do this at the age of 50, something was bound to go wrong.
taking diprivan for insomnia has nothing to do with ill health in a physical sense

im sorry but u "knowledge" on this is based off tabloids.u really need to read up on the facts.

i really dont know what u are on about. the sony/atv cat is a company owned 50/50 by the mj estate and sony.they share the profits 50/50. in 1995 mj merged his ATV cat with the sony cat. sony paid him around 100 mill in 95 to do this. mjs own songs are in the MIJAC cat. mj owns that 100% that cat also contains many songs by sly stone and jackie wilson amongst many others.

the fact u are quoting this documentry kinda sums up what i said above. i take it u have no clue who created this documentry and thee previous documentry he created about mj. u might aswell go get info from sneddon and dimond and takethat as fact aswell.

well thats the same thing. if a docu has good sources then it is deemed credible. it cant be one or the other

taking diprivan for insomnia has nothing to do with ill health in a physical sense

I ain't going to bother to re-explain my points again, bottom line is that MJ's kids say he was overworked and Paris said that MJ told her someone was out to kill him, that's the most credible source.

I ain't going to bother to re-explain my points again, bottom line is that MJ's kids say he was overworked and Paris said that MJ told her someone was out to kill him, that's the most credible source.

Michael would not tell his own 11 year old daughter someone was out to kill him............

Oh and let me repeat. Michael did say he didnt like to tour, BUT HE WAS NOT TOURING. It was a residency and did not involve any of the things Michael said he didnt like about touring. So people should stop using that.

If Michael said himself to the fans that he doesn't feel ready for doing the shows, then he had a reason for that.

If he felt pushed by AEG and expressed it, and didn't feel well, then I can't just deny him the right to feel weaker.

Going around the world or not, doing 50 shows IS a challenge and he might have felt overwhelmed by this, especially that he said he didn't agree to 50 concerts.

And his children confirmed he was pushed and that he worked too much and too hard. These kids are smart and even without Michael explaining it to him, they could feel what was going on.

As I said in the other thread, I haven't so far heard ONE logical and reasonable argument that would convince me that the persons who heard and saw Michael complaining (including the video posted on youtube that's gone, but was seen by many many people) were lying.

As I said in the other thread, I haven't so far heard ONE logical and reasonable argument that would convince me that the persons who heard and saw Michael complaining (including the video posted on youtube that's gone, but was seen by many many people) were lying.

What's this video about?

If Michael said himself to the fans that he doesn't feel ready for doing the shows, then he had a reason for that.

If he felt pushed by AEG and expressed it, and didn't feel well, then I can't just deny him the right to feel weaker.

Going around the world or not, doing 50 shows IS a challenge and he might have felt overwhelmed by this, especially that he said he didn't agree to 50 concerts.

And his children confirmed he was pushed and that he worked too much and too hard. These kids are smart and even without Michael explaining it to him, they could feel what was going on.

I don't think they are lying but they are ignoring the fact that Michael was a adult and like all adults has a responsibility to do what he says he will do. Weather we like it or not, Michael did either at first or in the end agree to the 50 nights, they were well spread out giving him days off in between each one, in agreeing to do these shows he was also agreeing to working hard every day for a few months to get things ready for these shows and we should remember that weather he was doing 10 or 50 the opening night was still the same date so he still had the same amount of work to get done, also it should be pointed out that he wouldn't have had half the budget to do all the dome projects if he was only doing 10 nights.

What's this video about?

There was a video posted sometime in early June, a kind of blurred one, probably recorded by a cell phone, but you could see and hear Michael saying that he does NOT want to do 50 shows, that he did NOT agree to this, that he doesn't feel well and feels being pushed. SO basically this was confirming all the things that Michael said to the fans.

Unfortunately, the video soon disappeared, and now, although MANY people remember watching it, nobody saved it. There was a huge hunt for this video on many boards, but noone has it. Still, more and more people are saying they remember it.

As for Michael "being responsible" - Michael was suffering from insomnia and needed to take medications for curing this plus anxiety. He said - that he's so worried that he can't sleep or eat. So a HUGE part of his anxiety, also causing insomnia were these 50 - and not 10 - shows to come. We all know very well, that Michael could not sleep and that because he could not sleep, he was given propofol. So...

There was a video posted sometime in early June, a kind of blurred one, probably recorded by a cell phone, but you could see and hear Michael saying that he does NOT want to do 50 shows, that he did NOT agree to this, that he doesn't feel well and feels being pushed. SO basically this was confirming all the things that Michael said to the fans.

Unfortunately, the video soon disappeared, and now, although MANY people remember watching it, nobody saved it. There was a huge hunt for this video on many boards, but noone has it. Still, more and more people are saying they remember it.

As for Michael "being responsible" - Michael was suffering from insomnia and needed to take medications for curing this plus anxiety. He said - that he's so worried that he can't sleep or eat. So a HUGE part of his anxiety, also causing insomnia were these 50 - and not 10 - shows to come. We all know very well, that Michael could not sleep and that because he could not sleep, he was given propofol. So...

If he was suffering from insomnia and anxiety why did he take on to do any shows all? We just can't continue to blame everybody. I have heard so much that Michael was the man in control, that he was a great business man so why didn't he just say no i'm only doing ten if that's what he wanted. Do you really think Michael wasn't strong enough to make his own decisions.

I'm not talking in terms of Michael being "always strong and making decisions" and his insomnia, weight loss and anxiety got bad with time, btw .

I treat him like human who had the right to express he feels weak and maybe withdraw from his own decisions? If that would mean that I need to return my ticket and no shows, nothing, I would accept that.

I have the impression that many fans would be disappointed so much, that they would tell "look Michael, that was your decision, you're strong, you're not weak, you need to be responsible".

I don't know why he did not cancel if he didn't feel like doing this (maybe he wanted to? who knows). But I accept him the way he was. And I am only blaming others, who were with him everyday, but did not see it.

It's like an employer who sees his employee in a very bad state but doesn't say a thing cause he doesn't want to loose money. And that employee is not complaining (only covertly). So should the employer keep pretending everything is allright ("body of astronaut" R. Phillips)? The employee doesn't say a thing, you can see his state is deteriorating, but the employer still doesn't say a thing.

Finally the employee dies. Of course, we could say - it was his own fault, he knew he couldn't do it, so why didn't he resign? But what about the employer? IS he totally blameless? Was it avoidable? Is the "passive" role fully acceptable here?

he was overworked and Paris said that MJ told her someone was out to kill him, that's the most credible source.
well paris wasnt the source for that i think latoya was. and if u think a father would tell his 11 year old child that someone was going to kill him then what sort of father would do that. i dont believe toyas claim for one minute

I ain't going to bother to re-explain my points again,
i wish you would cause what u said about the cat made no sense what so ever.then it can be discussed and informed info can be given

yes thats good points. i have issues with the 31-50 concerts. who agreed to that? thome on mjs behalf? because mj agreed in the first contract to at least 31 shows. so the point about only wanting to do 10 shows becasue of the contract is a moot point. but hey like any of that matters now.i wish that dam millenium done had never been created then the 02 would never excist

I'm not talking in terms of Michael being "always strong and making decisions" and his insomnia, weight loss and anxiety got bad with time, btw .

I treat him like human who had the right to express he feels weak and maybe withdraw from his own decisions? If that would mean that I need to return my ticket and no shows, nothing, I would accept that.

I have the impression that many fans would be disappointed so much, that they would tell "look Michael, that was your decision, you're strong, you're not weak, you need to be responsible".

I don't know why he did not cancel if he didn't feel like doing this (maybe he wanted to? who knows). But I accept him the way he was. And I am only blaming others, who were with him everyday, but did not see it.

It's like an employer who sees his employee in a very bad state but doesn't say a thing cause he doesn't want to loose money. And that employee is not complaining (only covertly). So should the employer keep pretending everything is allright ("body of astronaut" R. Phillips)? The employee doesn't say a thing, you can see his state is deteriorating, but the employer still doesn't say a thing.

Finally the employee dies. Of course, we could say - it was his own fault, he knew he couldn't do it, so why didn't he resign? But what about the employer? IS he totally blameless? Was it avoidable? Is the "passive" role fully acceptable here?

I do see were you are coming from but AEG are a business and while ethically the right thing to do may have been to call off the concerts this is not how business works and Michael more than any of us understood that. AEG and Michael had promised the world 50 shows, AEG could not cancel because this would have meant they would be left with the bill or if they convinced Michael that he wasn't up to doing the shows and he pulled out then he would have been left in huge dept.

AEG and Michael had promised the world 50 shows,
to be fair thats not proved. the only contract mj signed stated 31 shows with others added if both sides agree. we will never know if mj agreed to those others or did thome agree for him for example and mj never knew until later

I think this thread is pretty pointless and I'm surprised its still open because:

1) It causes arguments and negitivity
2) Nobody will ever know
3) MJ is dead so..
4) There will never be a conclusive answer/opinion and the thread will go round in circles

Perhaps the point is not whether he could but rather whether he wanted to.

I will say Randy Phillips told us himself that Michael went to sleep knowing he had 10 shows and woke up with 50, even though Michael was supposed to have signed a contract for 31 shows. Perhaps he had signed for 31 but they had talked about 10 and agreed on that initially to see how demand was.. when they saw they were selling out AEG decided to raise the number. Randy also told us that at one point Michael said (and he put on a high pitched voice on tv to mimic MJ whilst saying this) 'No Randy, no more shows, no more shows'.

Anyway this topic is so exhausted and it doesn't matter anymore... MJ is gone thats all I care about.. I wish these concerts were never planned, then he'd still be here.

Last edited:

I do see were you are coming from but AEG are a business and while ethically the right thing to do may have been to call off the concerts this is not how business works and Michael more than any of us understood that. AEG and Michael had promised the world 50 shows, AEG could not cancel because this would have meant they would be left with the bill or if they convinced Michael that he wasn't up to doing the shows and he pulled out then he would have been left in huge dept.

I agree with this. Michael was under huge pressure.

I think the point, where we might have different opinions is that - I understand that that's the way business works. However, if the fans that saw Michael and talked to him were so concerned about his state that they literally said that they were afraid that Michael could die, then for me this is comes to the point, where 1) the rules governing business affairs should be replaced by human empathy or 2) even within the world of business, an employer that cares only about money should realise that the employee could die and make it even worse for him in terms of losses.

Obviously, people from the AEG cannot be included in neither of these two groups.
Ironically, they did not really loose much after Michael died.

elusive moonwalker said:
yes thats good points. i have issues with the 31-50 concerts. who agreed to that? thome on mjs behalf? because mj agreed in the first contract to at least 31 shows. so the point about only wanting to do 10 shows becasue of the contract is a moot point. but hey like any of that matters now.i wish that dam millenium done had never been created then the 02 would never excist

I agree. that was some totally fatal chain of events there.

when they saw they were selling out AEG decided to raise the number.
In the DVD extras (black cover) that is actually said about the sales of tickets and 50 shows... They say that Michael wanted and agreed to do this.

and of course they said that Michael was very happy and wanted to travel the world with the shows. :smilerolleyes: :(

no, he probably would have gotten laryngitis and/or fatigue or even have developed insomnia at some point. it happened before on his tours. but then again we don't know what would have been.

basing this on his past and what he has said about his experiences during tours.

I think if MJ wanted to cancel he would have. I don't think he cared about being threatened with lawsuits as a result of the cancellation, he knew his health was more important. But I dunno, it would just be so unfair for him to have called the shows off. Not to us, but to him. I don't care what anyone says, Michael loved being up on that stage, even at rehearsals. You could tell he missed it. How unfair would it be for someone to say to him "I'm going to cancel this project and pull this out from under you after you spent 2 months working your butt off and sweating over it"? Michael's entire life was performing. Sometimes people will ignore the danger if they see you doing something that makes you truly happy. I don't know whether people that were around Michael were like "I can see he's losing weight, but I don't want to stop him. He, more than anyone else, deserves this comeback, he deserves this triumph."

I don't agree with what the follower fans said about people around Michael ignoring what was going on because they wanted to stay on the payroll. I think if there was something wrong with Michael, they were probably turning a blind eye because they wanted to see him succeed, they wanted to see him happy. They wanted this for him, he deserved it. Not turning a blind eye in the sense that they didn't care, but turning a blind eye in the same way that people around Steve Irwin saw him playing with Crocs and swimming with sting-rays, clearly dangerous and clearly could cause harm to Steve, but didn't do anything about it because that was what he loved to do. People like that you assume are invincible. Sometimes they start to see themselves that way aswell and they give off that energy. They've played with fire so many times and never gotten burnt, they must be special. No one expects them to die. It's when something happens to them that you realise, man, they are only human afterall.

Yeah he could have with the breaks here and there, yes TOTALLY

Voted yes, with breaks etc.

Explanation:
As several of us already mentioned in this thread, there were 1-3 days between each show and a three month break from the end of september to the second week of january (full list of dates is at the bottom of this page). That, coupled with the fact that it was one venue and he was gonna have his own house and live there the whole time instead of traveling from country to country, and with what I've seen him do in the rehearsals, I definitely think he would've pulled it off.

I think many people, including myself, have a way of underestimating MJ. When he first announced the shows my immediate gut reaction was "sure, ok... I'll wait and see about that". Of course I wanted it to be true -- just the thought of seeing him perform again was absolutely amazing... But It'd been so long since the HIStory Tour and I guess I was just trying not to get my hopes up. Now I do sometimes feel bad about that initial reaction, but I guess it was just a kind of defensive instinct. And of course I never ever expected things to turn out the way they did. He might've looked frail, but I don't believe he was. And I don't believe he was sick, either. In any way.

I actually wanted him to cancel a few shows because I knew he was set up to do 50, the day I heard they went from 10 to 50 in 5 hours I was boiling! I knew it was AEG who pushed it to the max
no I didn't think he was not healthy, I knew he was, I just didn't think he needed 50 shows, no matter what anyone says this was exhausting and ridiculous to do 50 shows and then go around the world - can you say cash cow? but fans were too selfish to think about that

no I didn't think he was not healthy, I knew he was, I just didn't think he needed 50 shows, no matter what anyone says this was exhausting and ridiculous to do 50 shows and then go around the world - can you say cash cow? but fans were too selfish to think about that
Me too....

A part of me was happy and the other part of me was very, very, very worried about Michael. 50 shows? :scratch:I found the dates so surreal and I really was in doubt if it would actually happen and even then I bought 2 tickets. :(

35453760.jpg

Back