Best song that MJ didn't write

What is your favorite MJ song that MJ didn't write?

• Off The Wall

Votes: 47 11.8%
  • It's The Falling In Love

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • Thriller

Votes: 48 12.1%
  • Human Nature

Votes: 141 35.4%
  • Man In The Mirror

Votes: 264 66.3%
  • Just Good Friends

Votes: 12 3.0%
  • Why You Wanna Trip On Me

Votes: 27 6.8%
  • You Are Not Alone

Votes: 55 13.8%
  • Butterflies

Votes: 55 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 31 7.8%

• Total voters

analogue

Proud Member
I love It's The Falling In Love and Man In The Mirror so i'll go with those two

Last edited:
Human nature, Man in the mirror, Why you wanna trip on me & You are not alone :p It'd be too diffucult if I had to choose only one ;)

Probably Human Nature and Man In The Mirror

Man in the mirror definitely. I almost wish Michael would have written it himself :D

Definitely Man in the mirror! No doubt! Though I'd say it would have been a mediocre song if it wasn't Michael's singing. His powerful and emotional interpretation and unique ad-libs which make this song amazing!

Human Nature and Man in The Mirror no question...those two are in a close race for perfection.

psh toss-up... you know which one you really like
f_smiley.gif

that's hard for me...it's hard for me to consider MJ as not writing a song. because his involvement with it..even just singing, is the difference between night and day....

it's hard for me to consider MJ as not writing a song.
it's quite simple - writing credits fully due for the creators (essentially encompassing their own personal lyrics and/or composition), while Michael channels it through his own talents.

part of appreciating a song is to acknowledge and respect its foundation.

Very true. MJ is respectful of the people who made the songs for him or he would have never sang them in the first place. For instance, Come Together and Smile... other than simple re-arrangements, he had no involvement in the makings of the original, but enjoyed them enough to cover them. Given his relatively small number of covers over his solo career (not counting his Motown stuff... EVERYONE covered everyone in Motown), it shows how much he respects the original song writers.

The same goes for original songs created for him.

it's quite simple - writing credits fully due for the creators (essentially encompassing their own personal lyrics and/or composition), while Michael channels it through his own talents.

part of appreciating a song is to acknowledge and respect its foundation.

that's not what i mean. i mean his singing makes the difference..his producing makes the difference..his intuitive ways makes the difference.

that way, people like the ones who wrote you are not alone can't discount the importance of Michael Jackson's contribution.

i know what the original poster asked, and i already know about credits to writers.

that's not what i mean. i mean his singing makes the difference..his producing makes the difference..his intuitive ways makes the difference.
that's unquestionable

that way, people like the ones who wrote you are not alone can't discount the importance of Michael Jackson's contribution.
this is partly why i picked you up on it, knowing it was somehow related to (and loaded from) your previous downgrading of these guys' creation. no one should ever discount Michael's talents when it's applied to absolutely anything - but that is not an excuse to put down the original creators - i seem to remember that was the case when you put forth multiple arguments that paid no respect to the rights of those original creators:

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1336181

yeah..i know what i said, and i stand by it. i am entitled to my opinion, especially after hearing that original demo. i almost don't recognize that demo as being you are not alone, in ways that i don't care to try to explain to you.. except that nuances...x factors are making an unbelievalbe difference between that demo and you are not alone...

so..i'm just stating what is my opinion..

for the record..a couple of songwriters that i really admire, that don't perform their own material....diane warren...burt bacharach......david foster...

for me...mj has done some things that make me think in a different stratosphere when it comes to songwriting...

Last edited:
I personally thought that demo of "You Are Not Alone" was nearly identical to the album version in relation to melody. I mean, MJ's version is far superior (for obvious reasons), but the melody is the heart of the song and there is no doubt the melodies were the same.

We all have our own ears though, but I was taken aback. I remember that version of "Dangerous" by Crystal Cartier or what's-her-face.... there is a similarity... and there have been other cases where I hear no similarity at all... but this one was nearly spot-on.

In regards to song-writers, due credit must be given to both MJ and the original artists/composers/co-producers. Without Rod Temperton, there would be no "Rock With You" or "Baby Be Mine", two personal favorites. Without Stevie Wonder, there would be no "I Can't Help It". The opening chords to "I Can't Help It'' was all Stevie..... that was his style taylored to fit MJ. The uptempo, jazzy drum-heavy beats of Temperton's songs... those are a Temperton trademark. Go listen to "Spice Of Life" by the Manhattan Transfer. The song sounds very similar to "Rock With You" and "Baby Be Mine" because it's Rod Temperton's song. MJ is a master at picking out songs that fit him and making them suit him, but you have to give due credit to the artist. I think it's a bit unfair to bypass them and credit it all to MJ.

I also chose
"Human Nature" and "Man in the Mirror"
Human nature is such a Magical :wub: song
MJ has performed it in every concert -
Its a fav among the fans for sure

I personally thought that demo of "You Are Not Alone" was nearly identical to the album version in relation to melody. I mean, MJ's version is far superior (for obvious reasons), but the melody is the heart of the song and there is no doubt the melodies were the same.

We all have our own ears though, but I was taken aback. I remember that version of "Dangerous" by Crystal Cartier or what's-her-face.... there is a similarity... and there have been other cases where I hear no similarity at all... but this one was nearly spot-on.

In regards to song-writers, due credit must be given to both MJ and the original artists/composers/co-producers. Without Rod Temperton, there would be no "Rock With You" or "Baby Be Mine", two personal favorites. Without Stevie Wonder, there would be no "I Can't Help It". The opening chords to "I Can't Help It'' was all Stevie..... that was his style taylored to fit MJ. The uptempo, jazzy drum-heavy beats of Temperton's songs... those are a Temperton trademark. Go listen to "Spice Of Life" by the Manhattan Transfer. The song sounds very similar to "Rock With You" and "Baby Be Mine" because it's Rod Temperton's song. MJ is a master at picking out songs that fit him and making them suit him, but you have to give due credit to the artist. I think it's a bit unfair to bypass them and credit it all to MJ.

i haven't heard spice of life and will listen, but i have heard rod temperton songs apart from MJ, and there are songs of his i really like. and i don't put just MJ's name on the songs he has sung, but i do put his name on as part of them, because there is light years difference.

where i am coming from is i just don't see him as a non cowriter, ever, because what he adds to the song is so much more than what i have been used to when somebody interprets a song written by somebody else.

as for you are not alone...you are right..we all have our own ears.

i believe these are fair assessments.

Last edited:
Back