I wish.....

helena22

Proud Member
Have y'all ever felt this way?

I wish I had become a MJ fan way earlier. (I think I've become a fan sometime this year, which means I got a lot to catch up with!) I hope y'all can relate to my story.

Michael Jackson has been THE most global artist ever. But, not everybody living in every nook and corner around the world has the access to get to know his music let alone who he is. Simply put, there's no media. I realize I came from one of the nooks and corners. I grew up in a small town. Def. not an upscale neighborhood. Had TV with 4 or 5 local channels for more than 12 years. Got the full Internet access about 5 years ago.

As a kid, I heard and knew the name "Michael Jackson" and a few rumors (like, about his skin) when people around me said it (not through the media), but that was it. As a teenager, I could hear some of his biggest hits on radio, on the street, at my schools, etc., but that was it. If I'd had some friends around me listening to MJ, I could've become a fan then. You know, teenagers eager to do the things that their friends do. Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men , they're the first American artists that I started with. My friends' influence.

I know I don't have to complain becuz I still got time to live my days as an MJ fan, but honestly, I wish I was a longtime fan like some of y'all here. It's all the memories that I wish to have. I was born in 1983, so there was enough time!!! (LOL) At least, I could've become a fan in the '90s.

All the above is also the reason why I feel glad to join this board. Big thanks to the creator of the board and all the mods.

Last edited:
I wish I was born earlier so I could have gone to his concerts in '97. :mellow:

Last edited:
everyone except the fans who are his age probably feel like that

when i became a fan in 1995 i always wished i was a fan already in the Bad era...but now it is fine and i just feel happy that i could experience the Michaelmania since the History album (with tour etc) :)

well i just feel totally blessed to be apart of the "michaelmaina" and feel so happy and luckly to have so many mj fan friends to share the "mania" with! :)

^^ I was born in 1983 as well. Before I became a fan, I didn't know anything about him even though I heard and knew about the name Michael Jackson from ppl around me. But when I heard my first MJ song, I got into him instantly. He has the voice that captivates a person.

I wish I was born earlier so I could go to all his concerts and experience his magic.
sigh....

i just wish i was born a lil bit b4 the "off the wall" era, that way i could be older to really feel & see the craziness that followed with "thiiler"

I was born in July of 1988, and was introduced to Michael Jackson immediately, even though I have been a fan my entire life, I still wish I became a fan earlier! (I still moan at my parents for not concieving five years earlier..) So I guess it's not just you who has missed out on stuff.. Because his career is so vast and exciting, practically every fan has missed something! So don't worry, you can catch up :)

I would have to say that ive been a fan of michael since i was say around 4 or 5, im 23 at the mo.

i was born in 1984... so it was just as the thiiler stuff was happening!

I've been a fan since the end of Off the Wall/Jackson's era. Even though I missed most of the J5 and earlier Jacksons I think I became a fan of Michael's at the perfect time. I experienced first hand the onset of Michael Mania in it's prime and loved every minute of it. Michael has effected my life differently throughout the years and I think watching the changes and maturity has been a great ride. I anticipate alot of wonderful moments still to come but yeah the past is embedded in my heart - I wish I could actually thank Michael for sharing so much of himself with the world :yes:

Last edited:
I wish I was born 35 years earlier :yes:
I'm not only a MJ fan, I really like the Jackson 5 too!
The '60s must have been awesome!! supremes, stevie wonder, jackson 5, marvin gaye, 4 tops... That was music!
And then off course the huge Michaelmania, starting with off the wall!!
I sooo wish I was here through all of that. :yes::wub:

I don't wish I had become a fan earlier, cuz that would be impossible - I started listening to him when I was 3 years old, imitating him in talent shows etc. (I'll try to upload it from tape lol)

I just wish I was born in like... the '70's instead of 1988...:(

I really would have liked to be born earlier so I could have experience the 80's, the time Michael made it big. Most of my fave singers are from the 80s so i wish i was born that time.

I don't necessarily wish I was born early, I just wish I was more into MJ then, like I am now. Same with Janet.

I was never into collecting stuff and going to concerts until now. Now I wish I had gone to the History and Velvet Rope tour. I would have had to file Chapter 11 at the age of 10 trying to go, but I would have had the memory.

i couldn t have become a fan earlier lol i became a fan in the beginning but then there were no televisions in every house the only tv in my street was a few doors down the road where the woman would look peyton place whe the kids were playing in the street
the first time i heard them on the radio all we had i fell for that music i was 11
i never saw them though untill i was around 16 and the television came yippie and their were articles in popmagazines
thats 35 yrs ago how ever i m hoping for 35 more:D

I was born in 1992 and wasn't around for the release of Thriller, Bad, Dangerous...
I can't even remember the release of HIStory or Invincible :(

I was born in 1991, and I didn't become a fan until late 2007. I wish I would have been around to see "Michaelmania" in the 80s, and all the tours, especially the Bad tour, but at least with youtube, you can get to see everything even if its not the same as actually experiencing it. And I became a fan in time for the new music MJ will *hopefully* be releasing soon. :)

I wish I was born in the late 60's at least so I could have gone on the bad tour (and not have been a baby, but at least like, late teens or 20's).

And I could have been around for Off the wall and thriller, at least. That would've been awesome. I became a fan in the 90's. Oh, and the j5/jacksons days would've been nice, but then I'd have to have been born a little earlier lol.

Have y'all ever felt this way?

I wish I had become a MJ fan way earlier. (I think I've become a fan sometime this year, which means I got a lot to catch up with!) I hope y'all can relate to my story.

Michael Jackson has been THE most global artist ever. But, not everybody living in every nook and corner around the world has the access to get to know his music let alone who he is. Simply put, there's no media. I realize I came from one of the nooks and corners. I grew up in a small town. Def. not an upscale neighborhood. Had TV with 4 or 5 local channels for more than 12 years. Got the full Internet access about 5 years ago.

As a kid, I heard and knew the name "Michael Jackson" and a few rumors (like, about his skin) when people around me said it (not through the media), but that was it. As a teenager, I could hear some of his biggest hits on radio, on the street, at my schools, etc., but that was it. If I'd had some friends around me listening to MJ, I could've become a fan then. You know, teenagers eager to do the things that their friends do. Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men , they're the first American artists that I started with. My friends' influence.

I know I don't have to complain becuz I still got time to live my days as an MJ fan, but honestly, I wish I was a longtime fan like some of y'all here. It's all the memories that I wish to have. I was born in 1983, so there was enough time!!! (LOL) At least, I could've become a fan in the '90s.

All the above is also the reason why I feel glad to join this board. Big thanks to the creator of the board and all the mods.

don't worry "the best is yet to come" ....LOL

everyone prob wishes they were around for at least one mj era before they were born. id have loved to have seen a j5 concert around 70-71 but then id have loved to have gone to a bad concert.you could have wished you were around to see everything that u missed lol

everyone prob wishes they were around for at least one mj era before they were born. id have loved to have seen a j5 concert around 70-71 but then id have loved to have gone to a bad concert.you could have wished you were around to see everything that u missed lol

Absolutely.I was 12 during Dangerous, and weren't allowed to go to his concert then=( I've seen him at HIStory though , but I too wish I could see him in Bad and Dangerous. AND J5 lol

Last edited:
I know how you feel! I always tell my mom that I should have been around in the 70's!!!!! My dream would have been to go to studio 54 and dance with Michael!!! LOL!

I missed the Thriller era by a couple of years, and I SO wish I coulda been around to experience his wonderful prescence from te j5 days to the jacksons to OTW and Thriller, but I'm SO glad that we have modern technology so that we can at least get a feel for what it was like (although i'm sure that just like the motown 25, everything but being there pales in comparison!) Can you IMAGINE how much we would have missed out on had it not been for videos, audios, pics, etc.... whoo! we are a lucky bunch! lol

Anyway, I'm so glad that we've got all of us to tell stories about our lives/experiences and get excited together and get angry and wanna beat people up together and to make friends and admire the greatest artist of the world togetherrrrr! LOL!!! MJJC rulz!

Helena,
i can sympathize with your wish to have become a fan earlier. While at the same time I am envious of your ability to still experience Michael's earlier work for the first time. Think of the database of things you have to look forward to listening to, watching and bumping into. All of them fresh and new to you.

My fandom is a bit like yours, except I experienced all the earlier work while I was not actually a fan. Listened to and saw the Jacksons as a result of my Mother being a fan when I was young...there was no option but to be exposed to it. However, I had no appreciation for it. Later on, the person that became my bestest friend "forced" that cycle to continue on. He was an MJ FREEK, I mean a FREEK, obsessed with Michael. He remained that way the rest of his life. When I think back to dreading going to another Michael concert but going to make my friend happy...I wish I could have enjoyed it to the degree that he did. I have the memories of being in the moment but not for me, only for him. Being a fan now, I wish I could go back and experience all that magic, that would later become the legend & legacy of Michael Jackson.

Yes, I wish I could have the opportunity to share that in a different way :yes:

Back