Akon Speaks at Length About "Hold My Hand" Etc.

TSCM

Proud Member
http://mjjr.net/news.php

In a new interview with Tavis Smiley which aired on television January 22, 2009 (and took place on January 9, 2009), Akon spoke at length about the much anticipated collaboration with Michael Jackson, "Hold My Hand," and why the project ultimately fell through. Akon also speaks about Michael Jackson's unmatched patience and his natural intuition for knowing when the moment is right to release records, rather than rushing to release as many artists do. In addition, Akon confirms in the interview that the track was scheduled to be the first release from Michael Jackson's upcoming album, and was also going to be included on Akon's own follow-up album (a tidbit that was first reported by the writer of the song soon after it leaked). A good quality video of this interview segment can be downloaded below (Windows Media Format) or viewed on YouTube, and a text transcript of the interview is also provided.

Video Download: http://rapidshare.com/files/188094457/TavisSmileyAkon20090122.wmv

Streaming Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgIFnwTMqhM

Text Transcript: http://mjjr.net/content174.html (Included below)

Akon: Tavis Smiley

January 22, 2009

Transcribed by http://MJJR.net/ (TSCM)

(Interview conducted on January 8, 2009)

(Jackson-related Excerpt Only)

Smiley: What I was going to say to you, about the Internet, was the Michael Jackson situation.

Akon: That too!

Smiley: That's what I was going to talk about. So, tell the story. You and Michael had done--you tell the story.

Akon: Well, what happened was, me and Mike did this incredible record called "Hold My Hand."

Smiley: Right. Mmm hmm.

Akon: And, I mean, the record is amazing. Phenomenal record.

Smiley: We've all heard it now!

Akon: I know.

Smiley: [Laughing] Even though you didn't plan it that way, but I'll let you tell the story. Yeah.

Akon: And, the concept was that this would be Mike's first release off of his new album. And I would stripe it on my album--on my following release.

Smiley: Mmm hmm.

Akon: That way we could have the outlets open for everyone to be able to receive the record. You know, Mike came up with this just brilliant marketing launch for this record. You know, he's the best at launching a record.

Smiley: No doubt about it.

Akon: He had the whole world paying attention in two minutes! About eight o'clock, check the--he was set up, alright.

Smiley: Right.

Akon: And, before we could get to that point, the record got leaked over the Internet. And, we got over 15 million downloads of the song, for free. So it was like... [Shrugs]

Smiley: [Laughing] "Why put this out?"

Akon: You--I mean, you can't at that point! Everyone already has the record, so.

Smiley: Right.

Akon: You gotta look at it like, that's just a gift to the fans.

Smiley: So, how angry were you though when that happened?

Akon: I was more upset for Mike than me because--you gotta think, like he's a legend. He's been--he kind of paved the way for a lot of us. And, even changed the whole surface of just videos and all of that. So, I felt like this was the perfect moment for him. He did too. And it just, it didn't come off the way we expected it to, so. But, one thing I can tell you, he's probably the most patient person I know, in my life.

Smiley: Yeah? Why do you say that?

Akon: Because he's--not only is he a perfectionist, but he just waits for the right moment. You know what I mean?

Smiley: Mmm hmm.

Akon: Sometimes we don't know what the right moment is until--like me, I just go and pray that it's the right moment.

Smiley: [Laughing] Yeah. No patience here then.

Akon: Because I don't know when the moment is. Especially with music, you know. But he has an intuition. He just feels like, "when that moment is right, that's when I'm going to drop this record."

Smiley: You were saying earlier in the conversation that you could never have imagined as a kid that you'd have this as a career.

Akon: No, never.

Smiley: So then how do you describe not just having a career, but cutting a record with Michael?

Akon: That's--when I came into this business, I came in with a 10-year plan. I truly, like any other corporate environment you know type of situation. Because I always feel like if you don't have a situation or a plan of how to manage your success, you ain't going to have it long. It was more so just watching all the other people do it. From becoming an artist, to an exec, to a businessman. To where you can use everything and market it to make outside money, outside of music. You know, but it was more so just trying to figure out, "okay, I love to do this, and if I'm gonna do it, how can I get paid for doing it?" And I was always the key. I just wanted to be rich, I didn't care how, you know? That was my downfall! That's how I got in trouble, because I just wanted to be rich.

Smiley: [Laughing] I love the artistry! "I just wanna be rich!" And then Michael comes along anyway!

Akon: Yeah, pfff. But he was like the top of my list. He was like on the 10th year. And it just so happened on the fifth year he came in and I was stuck after that, I didn't know where to go.

Smiley: Yeah. [Laughs]

Akon: [Laughing] So I had to make a new plan!

Smiley: Yeah, well. [Akon] made a new plan. Michael is not on the project, but of course you can download it for free, much to Akon's chagrin. You can download the Michael track for free.

Akon: [Laughing] Aww man!

Smiley: But he's got some great collaborations on here though...

Wow, great interview, thank you for posting TSCM.
Akon seemed honest in his responses at least we now know the true story from the horses mouth, well one of them anyway. Its so sad that someone leaked the song and scarpered their plans.
Reading this though is comforting because you just know that Michael knows what he is doing, he's in charge and rightly so. If Michael has patience then so do I, we all must. All will be revieled when the time is right.
Thanks once again TSCM

AH! Thanks! :)

(waits for someone to say there is no new MJ album so I could bitch-slap them) :)

so stupid that they didnt release it.

just look at usher's "love in this club".

the producer polow da pon himself leaked the track to the internet, but the management was wise to scrap all plans and release the song immediately a few days after the leak on itunes and then generally.

the song entered the charts at sixty something in the billboard hot 100 and went straight to number one the following week. even with thousands of illegal downloads before the release.

same thing would have worked for michael jackson and akon. it really is the only thing you can do when something gets leaked, release it right away and take advantage of the internet hype surrounding it. there will be more illegal downloads of course, but still, usher made his way to #1.

He couldn't possibly know it was downloaded 15milion times.

Wow, great interview, thank you for posting TSCM.
Akon seemed honest in his responses at least we now know the true story from the horses mouth, well one of them anyway. Its so sad that someone leaked the song and scarpered their plans.
Reading this though is comforting because you just know that Michael knows what he is doing, he's in charge and rightly so. If Michael has patience then so do I, we all must. All will be revieled when the time is right.
Thanks once again TSCM

But Michael isn't getting any younger here.

So now we know for sure that the song won't be getting a release at all.

Pity, it would have had a lot of success last summer, leak or no leak.

Thanks for posting, TSCM ^^

If Hold My Hand was going to be the first release from Michael's album, the album IS a lot closer than we think to release, that is for certain. Also, it is probably a good indication of the sound that Michael is going for on his new record, although I am sure Mike will have many more a trick up his sleeve other than the sounds we heard on HMH.

If Hold My Hand was going to be the first release from Michael's album, the album IS a lot closer than we think to release, that is for certain. Also, it is probably a good indication of the sound that Michael is going for on his new record, although I am sure Mike will have many more a trick up his sleeve other than the sounds we heard on HMH.

i was gonna say that as well. thanks man!!!! :punk:

Good interview. Did anyone in Germany read the German newspaper called the "Die Welt" by a reporter name Michael Pilz who interview Akon. He talked about Michael in great lenght about Michael. Also Fox has Michael in the top twenty album covers of the 80's.

Hey!!

So just goes to show, what Michael actually meant in that Jacksons phone call!!!

Its a lot closer than they think or its a lot sooner than you think, which we thought it was concerts he was talking about!

What it actually means is that The New single would of been HOLD MY HAND!! and i bet you any money as i have said all along we would of got a string of new singles and new short films while the new album was still being worked on.

However even more exciting than this is the fact that if i am wrong and Michael was releasing the Album and single like he has done in past then the new album would be here a week or two weeks tops after the single.

However i would say that new singles route would be the new release plan that michael discussed with many a people including Will i am!"

terry

I think that the new msuic is very close , dont care what anyone thinks, im tellin ya i think that we will have some kind of new release by Summer at latest.

Terry

New album is probably sooner than we think if HMH was to be the first single. Just look at past Michael Jackson albums for a hint. Most, if not all, have been realeased August-December. I would right now expect that the album will come out this fall.

It's a shame that HMH was leaked - we could have already had a single by now
It's good that Akon is telling the truth, that helps a lot:)

We have NO record label/distributor and NO album title as yet. Not a chance MJ was going to release this record anytime soon.

I wish i could be more positive but i fear we are still in for a long wait....

We have NO record label/distributor and NO album title as yet. Not a chance MJ was going to release this record anytime soon.

I wish i could be more positive but i fear we are still in for a long wait....

Michael is with sony or his own label, mjjproductions.

I'm glad Hold My Hand didn't get released as MJ's comeback single, it's a very average record. I just hope his new material is much much much better than Hold My Hand otherwise I won't be buying the new stuff.

HMH must have been the strongest track on the album if it was to be his new single so it seems that the album is done and is now awaiting the finalization for a single release.

Doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that one of Mikes collaborations with T Pain may be the new single to be released on both T Pain's new album and MJ's.

Also does anyone know whats happening with the collaboration between Usher/TPain/Michael - Stop Playin ?

Its been leaked but without Mikes vocals.

I'm glad Hold My Hand didn't get released as MJ's comeback single, it's a very average record. I just hope his new material is much much much better than Hold My Hand otherwise I won't be buying the new stuff.

HMH could've been like The Girl Is Mine. First, it's a duet. Secondly, it's a slower-type song. You would've released this song first to create a stir since it's a duet, then release the really good dance stuff after. That's how I would look at it. I think that would've made sense. Just because it's the first single, doesn't mean it is necessarily the strongest: Again, refer back to The Girl Is Mine. From a marketing standpoint, HMH being released first would've made perfect sense. That logic worked well with Thriller.

Michael is with sony or his own label, mjjproductions.
MJJ Records doesn't exist anymore.That was only early 1990s and he has never released any of his own records on it. That was under Sony, so it's wasn't an independent label anyway.

MJJ Records doesn't exist anymore.That was only early 1990s and he has never released any of his own records on it. That was under Sony, so it's wasn't an independent label anyway.

okey, but i think he is still with sony music. :)

Akon is going to talk about Michael until the end of his days :smilerolleyes: by the way he is flattering himself a bit too much in this interview anyway I don't like the song I'm glad it got leaked. I'm going to get lynched for this :lol:

Back