9 Mill. New Fans.

Those who have genuinely spent these few weeks learning about the man, that's a different story. :)

That would be me. I've been on FB for a while and had no idea there even was an MJ page. I would say that if I did know there was one I would have joined before last month.. honestly the new Facebook bothers me so I'm not really on it all that much anyway...

I've been a fan of the music, but didn't know much about THE MAN until I came here. Well... that's not altogether true. I youtubed alot after MJs passing... watched a video her and an interview there... u know how that is - youtube can keep you busy for hours. The more I saw the more I was like wow.. this dude truly was a humanitarian and just tried to hard to be good and do good things, and ended up just being a media joke and a very misunderstood person. It's a shame that many didn't see the incredibly wonderful side of MJ.

But this is how I get down anyway.. Once I find something that fascinates me and something (or in this case someone) I want to learn about I LEARN. It's like all engrossing, all consuming kinda learning. So that's how I got here..

I would really love to know more about what Michael means to everyone. I know there is a thread for this but there has got to be more than just " love and admiration ". I'd think that he would serve as an extension of the senses for some people. He is for me.

This is my first post here, and figured this was a good first place to post. I like many have heard about MJ on and off just bits and pieces all through growing up, heard his songs on occasion, but really had no idea or paid much attention. Admittedly with all this about his death, I got curious and started reading a lot, watching videos, interviews, and I never knew about the vilitigo as the real cause of his skin turning. It just really sucks that so much has been negative about him, and the more I read about him he just seemed like a real kind caring man who cared deeply especially for children (not in a bad way!), and it amazed me how much he really gave. His music too is just great, and really watching him dance is just dang, its mesmerizing. I just feel sad that I didn't do reading on him before or get an idea of who he really was before. The media really really messes things up.

I love seeing the videos of him on youtube running around with a super soaker, just having a great time.

I would really love to know more about what Michael means to everyone. I know there is a thread for this but there has got to be more than just " love and admiration ". I'd think that he would serve as an extension of the senses for some people. He is for me.

I could seriously write a novel about my thoughts on this, but unfortunately I have to go to bed here soon. :p

those are a bunch of sheep
fairweather fans who dont know much about Mj, just anyhow click 'become a fan'
Some 'fans' are on facebook yet they don't know there is a 'Michael Jackson page'? lmao. people are sooooooo fake.

I'm new to this forum, but have been a fan for 34 years and was very active on another (now defunct) forum for many years. I hope it's not assumed that all people new to this forum are new fans.

those are a bunch of sheep
fairweather fans who dont know much about Mj, just anyhow click 'become a fan'
Some 'fans' are on facebook yet they don't know there is a 'Michael Jackson page'? lmao. people are sooooooo fake.

Wow. Was that directed at me? I already stated earlier that I'm not on facebook all that much. It's not like I'd go searching for an MJ fan page on facebook or any other celebrities FB page. That's how now I get down. I'm 32, not one of these teenagers on facebook and myspace all day long picking up facebook and myspace friends. Please. Since when does adding an MJ facebook page or not dictate who a "fan" is? Facebook is the new fan litmus test? I don't think so. Don't insult me like that, I'm here for the same reason you are.. that's not fair. :(

Last edited:
I've not really started becoming a fan of music people on facebook but have meant to for a long time now. I'm a real loyal fan but I don't need facebook to tell me that.

That would be me. I've been on FB for a while and had no idea there even was an MJ page. I would say that if I did know there was one I would have joined before last month.. honestly the new Facebook bothers me so I'm not really on it all that much anyway...

I've been a fan of the music, but didn't know much about THE MAN until I came here. Well... that's not altogether true. I youtubed alot after MJs passing... watched a video her and an interview there... u know how that is - youtube can keep you busy for hours. The more I saw the more I was like wow.. this dude truly was a humanitarian and just tried to hard to be good and do good things, and ended up just being a media joke and a very misunderstood person. It's a shame that many didn't see the incredibly wonderful side of MJ.

But this is how I get down anyway.. Once I find something that fascinates me and something (or in this case someone) I want to learn about I LEARN. It's like all engrossing, all consuming kinda learning. So that's how I got here..
Thanks for sharing your story with us. :D It's awesome how much we can learn in a month if we truly open our minds. If only more people would just give it a chance. Anyway, I also agree that youtube is a godsend. There's nothing better than seeing and hearing from the man himself...and it's all readily available on youtube. :) So there's really no excuse for people being ignorant...

Wow. Was that directed at me? I already stated earlier that I'm not on facebook all that much. It's not like I'd go searching for an MJ fan page on facebook or any other celebrities FB page. That's how now I get down. I'm 32, not one of these teenagers on facebook and myspace all day long picking up facebook and myspace friends. Please. Since when does adding an MJ facebook page or not dictate who a "fan" is? Facebook is the new fan litmus test? I don't think so. Don't insult me like that, I'm here for the same reason you are.. that's not fair. :(

Sometimes I donno why people take these kind of things so seriously! :swordfight: It is just Facebook! I was thinking to make a website for Michael but now I have to think about it million times. :chained

Woah, let's not offend those of us who DO use facebook and who HAVE become a fan of MJ's facebook page.
And no one's saying that if you don't do all that, you're not a real fan. Come on.

I KNOW a lot of the people who have joined that page are bandwagoners.
But hey, I just like that fact that he's reaching 10 million 'fans' there. That's the joy I'm getting out of all this. :lol:

okay, i'm sorry. I'm just angry that there are many fans who weren't by his side when he needed them. I know certain people who dont care about him before his death but are now fan of him on facebook. And, even now they don't seem to bother to know more about the real him. I'm not saying they have to know everything about him but at least don't misunderstand him. He's such a great human being who has a heart of gold. It's really a shame only true fans who bother to look into his heart know this.

edit: to add, I like the fact that he set another new record! hope the number will break through 10million. MJ likes to break records! lol

Last edited:
okay, i'm sorry. I'm just angry that there are many fans who weren't by his side when he needed them. I know certain people who dont care about him before his death but are now fan of him on facebook. And, even now they don't seem to bother to know more about the real him. I'm not saying they have to know everything about him but at least don't misunderstand him. He's such a great human being who has a heart of gold. It's really a shame only true fans who bother to look into his heart know this.

No worries sweetie... :hug: Read the rest of my post above.. it's not just about the music for me, it's so much more than that. I regret that I let the media dictate the things I knew and didn't know about MJ instead of finding those things out for myself. I was never one of those negative talk about MJ type folks because I knew that he was hurt by those comments. I'd at least seen enough to know that. I'd seen enough to know that talking about someone in the manner and intensity with which the media seemed to LOVE to talk about MJ was just WRONG. He was a human being with feelings and I can't understand how people seemed to forget that.

Maybe that's why I'm so adamant about learning everything I can now, sort of to make up for lost time, and ultimately to defend him against anyone close to me making negative comments about MJ and who they thought he was.

Lets just hope that even a small part of the new facebook fans take the time to find out even a little more about MJ and possibly discover who he really was at the core, and for once ignore the things that mean nothing, skin color and nose structure and all of that other BS.

heartbreakhotelmjj,
thank you for your understanding:) Hopefully, a big portion of them will do that. is it wishful thinking? Xp I was die hard fan of other celebs before, I know everyone grew tired of his/her favourite stars after sometimes. It's a different story for MJ, he has a beautiful soul and qualities you can't find in any other celebs/person and that keeps you as a fan forever. As long as you know the real person he was, then you will stay as a fan forever. I don't know him personally but just by reading about him all these years, this is what I see. He's really special.

I posted this another long lost thread, so I'll go ahead and post it again here. :p P.S. I am NOT targetting ANYONE in this thread.

Ehh, I don't have a Facebook or a MySpace page anymore. Some people take that crap way too seriously. Anybody can click a button and become a 'fan.' I have nothing to prove. Michael ALWAYS had a special place in my heart, and he always will. Haven't went out and bought one single album, either. I have my Thriller album, and it makes me happy for now since I'm a Thriller-Child. I may buy his Music Video DVD, though, since I lost all of my VCR recorded copies when I got divorced. I had almost all of his videos on tape. I'll most likely get the other stuff I don't have when all of the madness/hype dies down.

^ Word. And they already think they know everything about him. LULZ.

I certainly welcome them, but I don't think that new fans should be challenging his old fans on some things. That makes it even more annoying.

I have a close friend who truly did become a fan after his death, her reason was that she knew that Michael Jackson was a ''famous person'' but admitted she had never heard any of his songs or paid any attention to who Michael Jackson was. She said that through the media coverage (positive media coverage) she became interested to learn more about him, and my previous attempts to make her listen to his music when he was still alive failed.. But ''thanks'' to the media coverage, she began to listen to his music, and she watches his concerts now and interviews.. She even cries to his videos.. So.. I do think she is a fan.. Maybe not a hardcore one.. She still has alot to see and hear.. But she is on her way..

Its very sad to say that ''an artist is worth more when he is dead than alive'' and that people only pay attention when someone passes away and that they are now interested in taking part of his legacy and musical talent, but hey... better late than never?

May I also say that all of those millions of so called ''fans'' are not true fans, they are caught up in the hype after Michaels death and feel the need to pay their respects and tributes by making sure they are a part of the Michael Jackson community, I think by time and after this circus is over ALOT of people will go back to being their old self and continue to NOT listen to Michael Jacksons music and go back to their old ways. At the moment EVERYONE is listening to Michael Jackson, that dosnt necessarily mean they are all fans. They just pay their tributes... Some will go back to their old ways, some will remain new fans. I think alot of people have one question in mind, who just discovered the genious of Michael Jackson;

''Why didnt I discover this man sooner???''

Agreed...

^ Word. And they already think they know everything about him. LULZ.

I certainly welcome them, but I don't think that new fans should be challenging his old fans on some things. That makes it even more annoying.

AMEN to that!

Just amazing how all of a sudden, now hes gone, its cool to like Michael Jackson.
All the new fans who act like they loved him when its clear yous never liked him before can do one. And unless you was to young, or not born etc when June 25th 2009 came around.... they can all jump on my middle finger. I hate it with a passion. Just tryna get caught up in all the hype. Should never take someone to die to realise how great they are.

It has finally happened.
This proves I have no life: :lol:

14507616.jpg

Great news on the 10,000,000! And yes I know what you mean about it now being cool to like MJ. People are talking about him way more now, and everybody says they like his music. At my college, people are doing their projects on him. For instance my friend Adrian is doing his speech on Michael Jackson...all positive. I hear my teachers talk about how great he was, his music is on the radio more often in our area. Plus, I find people are just much more accepting of Michael now. It's sad that his death had to do this.

Back