According tothe guardian newspaper ...

Re: AW: Re: According tothe guardian newspaper ...

Hmm, considering he just sold 400.000 tickets in the UK last summer I guess you could say he did enough in the UK and he's in the same category than Michael and Madonna!

Prince it not that big in the UK. His records do not sell. He may have his hard core fans but generally, he is not that big. Never has been.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, considering he just sold 400.000 tickets in the UK last summer I guess you could say he did enough in the UK and he's in the same category than Michael and Madonna!

im talking sales of albums/hits etc

I don't feel sorry for Janet. You know why? Because if she would listen to her own fan base she would know that they don't like this new sexed up Janet that she has been portraying since Damita Jo. She would listen to her fan base! But maybe she doesn't care what her fan base thinks. Well, she should because they are the ones who buy her music.

I like Janet, but she seems to be caught up in some sort of erotic rut. She need to mature with her fanbase before she loses them all. This girl's albums should be doing at least platinum. Gold is not acceptable for someone of Janet's stature.

Nope that's true. Michael's Thriller 25 has risen 2 places to No.7 in the UK album chart while Janet has dropped completely out of the Top 100 in the second week in the UK and in Ireland. I feel bad for her since I thought Feedback was a good song.

I'm happy for Michael but Janet's worked so hard on this album. She really wanted it to do well and at least be somthing special and different. Hope things improve for her down the road.

Janet's new album is way better than 20Y.O, Damita Jo and All For You and I would like it to go well in the charts! I like listening to it, it's an enjoyable album but Thriller 25 is THRILLICIOUS!!!

Prince has never been big in the UK?**** the bloke's had about 18 Top 10 albums - five of which were number 1. he's had about 20 Top 10 hits with singles.

and his recent residency at the O2 should hint to you how big he is. the guy is music royalty and anyone with any sense in Western music should realise that.

Prince has never been big in the UK? ***: the bloke's had about 18 Top 10 albums - five of which were number 1. he's had about 20 Top 10 hits with singles.

and his recent residency at the O2 should hint to you how big he is. the guy is music royalty and anyone with any sense in Western music should realise that.

If i may jump in arXter; what Daisy is referring to is Prince's long term impact yes he is far bigger than say Mariah and Janet but in recent years Prince has struggled in the UK, in fact SONY got so angry with him giving away his last album to that tabloid they didn't even promote it here in the USA and dropped all future plans to promote it overseas. Prince's biggest album Purple Rain only sold 1.1 million in the UK compare that to Madonna having 5 albums to sell at least 1.5 million and higher and Michael having 4 that have sold at least 1.5 million or higher with Michael having two albums having sold over 3.5 in just the UK alone. In that sense the two biggest imports worldwide from the USA to Europe are by far Madonna and Michael.

Prince has never been big in the UK? Datsy and Elusive you need to get your facts straight: the bloke's had about 18 Top 10 albums - five of which were number 1. he's had about 20 Top 10 hits with singles.

blimey, i'm not even a big fan of his but you guys really need to stop generalising and pretending like you know the mentality of the music-aware public. it's getting ridiculous now.
Prince had a short spell of success here in the 80's. He was popular as was many other 80's stars, but his music was edgy and wasn't as mainstream as Michael. People were not very sure how to take him. As his music got ranchier, he fell off the radar, esp when he changed his name. Yes, was never mainstream, he was an aquired taste. His success here in britain lasted just for the 80's and then nothing.

Last edited:
@ hope:

my post is in response to this grossly misinformed statement: "Prince it not that big in the UK. His records do not sell. He may have his hard core fans but generally, he is not that big. Never has been."

you're now downplaying my response by saying "the two biggest imports are Mike and Madonna" - yes, so? does that make Prince irrelevant? LOL

Last edited:
Prince is big, Madonna is big, Janet is big, but nobody is on Michael's level in terms of fame. The only person to come close to Michael's level of stardom and recognizablity is Muhammad Ali. And in terms of success commercially, obviously no act today comes near his success. Only the Beatles and Elvis are close, and in ratio to the number of albums they've released, Michael has far out-paced them. There are stars and there are super stars, but Michael is like a blue giant in comparison to everyone elses white dwarf.

@ hope:

my post is in response to this grossly misinformed statement: "Prince it not that big in the UK. His records do not sell. He may have his hard core fans but generally, he is not that big. Never has been."

you're now downplaying my response by saying "the two biggest imports are Mike and Madonna" - yes, so? does that make Prince irrelevant? LOL
Who said Prince was irrelevant?

@ hope:

***** i never said Prince wasn't that big or irrelevant and did not sell I stated i thought clearly enough that he has had a huge career but clearly in recent years his albums have bombed in the UK, yes as Daisy mentioned he did well in the 80s but in the 90s when things got dicey with his whole fight with Warners and beyond is when his music sales got bad and the last few years his albums as a whole have not sold, now say you want about Madonna and MJ they have never fallen off like that in the UK even with Invincible being Mike's worst performing album since the 70s it still did 350k so the point i think people are trying to make is yes Prince did well for a short period but he doesn't even remotely come close to Mike and Madonna okay? i hope you got my point.

Prince had a short spell of success here in the 80's. He was popular as was many other 80's stars, but his music was edgy and wasn't as mainstream as Michael. People were not very sure how to take him. As his music got ranchier, he fell off the radar, esp when he changed his name. Yes, was never mainstream, he was an aquired taste. His success here in britain lasted just for the 80's and then nothing.
wrong again - since his 1989 No. 1 Batman album, he scored 12 Top 10 albums - 4 of which went to No. 1. his Best Of compilation in 2000 reached No. 2.

****i never said Prince wasn't that big or irrelevant and did not sell
you were defending the post i was responding to, which did claim just that. and no, i never said you did insinuate such a thing.

I stated i thought clearly enough that he has had a huge career but clearly in recent years his albums have bombed in the UK, yes as Daisy mentioned he did well in the 80s but in the 90s when things got dicey with his whole fight with Warners and beyond is when his music sales got bad and the last few years his albums as a whole have not sold,
as i said above: since his 1989 No. 1 Batman album, he scored 12 Top 10 albums - 4 of which went to No. 1. and near the same period Mike released Invincible, Prince scored a No.2 with just a Best Of compilation. and his 3121 album in 2006 was within the Top 10. i hardly think that qualifies as having "bombed".

but he doesn't even remotely come close to Mike and Madonna okay? i hope you got my point.
i get your personal opinion, but not the "point". all three artists have impacted the business and the art of music. as much as i hate using record sales and chart figures, i can actually use it with regards to Prince because he has done very well indeed. i am never one to compare artists - that shows a lack of understanding of the art of music. i'm merely defending a ridiculous claim that Prince's "records don't sell", is "not that big" and "never has been".

wrong again - since his 1989 No. 1 Batman album, he scored 12 Top 10 albums - 4 of which went to No. 1. his Best Of compilation in 2000 reached No. 2.
****** I was a Prince fan when every body else was a Michael jackson fan. I have his videos and tapes. I am saying that he was massive in the 80's but by the 90's his career subsided, partly because his music became too ranchy for some, and partly he was waging war against his record company. He changed his name to a symbol and people didn't know what to call him so they just decided to ignore him.
You quarrelled with me with the Janet thing, and now look, her album has fallen out of the charts.^_^

AW: Re: AW: Re: According tothe guardian newspaper ...

Prince it not that big in the UK. His records do not sell. He may have his hard core fans but generally, he is not that big. Never has been.:)
Who cares about record sales at this point, once you've reached legend status!? 400.000 sold tickets is what counts! The Stones also don't sell records anymore, but they are huge whereever they go!

Prince has never been big in the UK? Datsy and Elusive you need to get your facts straight: the bloke's had about 18 Top 10 albums - five of which were number 1. he's had about 20 Top 10 hits with singles.

Well, some people are not so keen on facts, you know! But thank's for agreeing on my point!

Last edited:
**** I was a Prince fan when every body else was a Michael jackson fan. I have his videos and tapes. I am saying that he was massive in the 80's but by the 90's his career subsided, partly because his music became too ranchy for some, and partly he was waging war against his record company. He changed his name to a symbol and people didn't know what to call him so they just decided to ignore him.
you must have slept through the 90s then if you think he went off the radar and has "never" been big. how would you explain his chart performance throughout the 90s and 00s that i enlightened you with?

You quarrelled with me with the Janet thing, and now look, her album has fallen out of the charts.^_^
i "quarrelled" with you on saying "she is only known as Michael's sister". and i was the first to say how flimsy the album is, thank you.

you were defending the post i was responding to, which did claim just that. and no, i never said you did insinuate such a thing.

as i said above: since his 1989 No. 1 Batman album, he scored 12 Top 10 albums - 4 of which went to No. 1. and near the same period Mike released Invincible, Prince scored a No.2 with just a Best Of compilation. and his 3121 album in 2006 was within the Top 10. i hardly think that qualifies as having "bombed".

i get your personal opinion, but not the "point". all three artists have impacted the business and the art of music. as much as i hate using record sales and chart figures, i can actually use it with regards to Prince because he has done very well indeed. i am never one to compare artists - that shows a lack of understanding of the art of music. i'm merely defending a ridiculous claim that Prince's "records don't sell", is "not that big" and "never has been".

I understand Prince quite clearly i understand the art of music as well ultimately we are not going to agree so I will agree to disagree that Prince still matters as a whole, i think parts of his catalogue do yes but him overall no! He clearly isn't remotely selling well or doing nearly as well as Michael and Madonna continue to do. Both of them far exceed him in sales and chart stats as a whole.

Anyway, I can't believe some people are actually trying to argue that Prince is on Madonna or MJ's level worldwide. I love Prince but come on now, i'm not gonna sit here and lie and say he's as huge as Madonna and Michael because he's never been. Now Prince has always had his supporters and was huge during the 80's of course but like others have pointed out his record sales have decreased over time. You can't even give away Prince's albums these days. I mean anyone who thinks Prince is as popular as Michael and Madonna are has been drinking too much of that purple kool aid lol and are just not living in reality. Get a grip already. I just hate when people try to make their fave artists out to be more than they really are or lie about their fave artists popularity or record sales to make themselves feel better. It's quite pathetic actually.

As far as Janet goes, now come on is it even necessary to have to ask if she is on Michael's level or even comes close? lol. I think we all know the answer to that.

AW: Re: According tothe guardian newspaper ...

isnt it obvious? :huh:

Me ofcourse ^_^
LOL, well... I think it's a given that Prince certainly ranks above Janet! Not to say though that Janet did do bad... and in the states she's certainly huge as well!

But if you say, Janet is close to Michael's status, then you'll also have to accept that Prince is near Michael's status! And if you leave the charts stats and pop or especially dance music lovers aside, then Prince most likely gets a bigger reception and response than Janet!

Last edited:
Anyway, I can't believe some people are actually trying to argue that Prince is on Madonna or MJ's level worldwide.
You can't even give away Prince's albums these days. I mean anyone who thinks Prince is as popular as Michael and Madonn are has been drinking too much of that purple kool aid lol and are just not living in reality. Get a grip already.
no one is arguing that?

I just hate when people try to make their fave artists out more than they really are or lie about their fave artists popularity to make themselves feel better.
haha he's far from my favourite artist. you're overreacting to the fact that i defended a silly statement saying Prince has never been big in the UK when he's been spitting out double digit Top 10 albums throughout the 80s, 90s and 00s. i'm never one to compare artists - that's just silly.

all i've done is present facts. i haven't even given an opinion on him LOL

I understand Prince quite clearly i understand the art of music as well ultimately we are not going to agree so I will agree to disagree that Prince still matters as a whole, i think parts of his catalogue do yes but him overall no! He clearly isn't remotely selling well or doing nearly as well as Michael and Madonna continue to do. Both of them far exceed him in sales and chart stats as a whole.
sorry but where did i start to compare artists? i responded to a misinformed remark by presenting facts on his chart performance in the UK. so i don't see where we disagree?

Re: AW: Re: According tothe guardian newspaper ...

LOL, well... I think it's a given that Prince certainly ranks above Janet! Not to say though that Janet did do bad... and in the states she's certainly huge as well!

But if you say, Janet is close to Michael's status, then you'll also have to accept that Prince is near Michael's status! And if you leave the charts stats and pop or especially dance music lovers aside, then Prince most likely gets a bigger reception and response than Janet!
I agree with that.

**On edit**

This thread has been cleaned and reopened. Please refrain from member attacks on these boards or take your personal business to PM.

Last edited:
AW: According tothe guardian newspaper ...

Yes, the state of her career in Europe is shockingly bad... I wonder how it will do in the rest of Europe... there it will be released at the end of the month!

Back