Austin Brown at LA's Wango Tango, Album '85' Premiere

Re: Austin Brown 85 Trailer

the butt kissing going on in this thread is ridiculous, all of us know half of all those who think this was some great masterpiece or that he cant help but copy, would be singing other tunes if he was not related to Jackson.

the butt kissing going on in this thread is ridiculous, all of us know half of all those who think this was some great masterpiece or that he cant help but copy, would be singing other tunes if he was not related to Jackson.

Exactly! I'm looking like, "cut the bs"...

That video made me cringe. Blatant and shameless rip-off of TDCAU TII performance, the giant close-up of the eyes, the opening close-up of his feet walking. He's one step away from wearing a single white glove and doing a "Hee-hee."

You can't sing about not wanting to "walk in the shadows" and then do a video like that...

LOL! I was waiting for the sparkles to come flying off his socks when he was walking.

He did the James Brown moves just like Michael did.

I miss Michael soooo much...:boohoo

I miss him too. :cry:

Totally off topic...but it just has to be said sometimes. I think it's appropriate.

I think Austin Brown is talented, but as an artist I think he's all over the place and doesn't have a strong identity to mark him out even among today's "acts" like the copycat Chris Brown. As a talent Austin Brown reminds me more of Marlon Jackson, and Janet Jackson. He doesn't remind me of Michael talent wise, even though I see many obvious Michael influences, which are hard for any singer/dancer to avoid are Michael set the template.

Last edited:

Timberlake! Usher! Brown (Chris)! Brown (Austin)! Well done students, you learned how to copy and paste. Who's next?

Give him a break! What do you want him to be, a country singer? Is that different enough from Michael? Haha! It can't be helped, Michael was the biggest thing to happen in the pop industry in the last 30 years. Before him, everyone was either Beatles, Elvis or Motown influenced. In twenty years time, it'll be someone else.

Austin is just finding his own way out there, I think we're best to wait and see. Clearly he has a lot of talent, a charming personality and good looks. He just needs to find his voice. He's still young. Don't forget that Michael was very much influenced by his mentors as a child and a teenager. Anybody who heard his tracks back in the day would've probably compared him to Smokey Robinson.

Give him a break! What do you want him to be, a country singer? Is that different enough from Michael? Haha! It can't be helped, Michael was the biggest thing to happen in the pop industry in the last 30 years. Before him, everyone was either Beatles, Elvis or Motown influenced. In twenty years time, it'll be someone else.

Austin is just finding his own way out there, I think we're best to wait and see. Clearly he has a lot of talent, a charming personality and good looks. He just needs to find his voice. He's still young. Don't forget that Michael was very much influenced by his mentors as a child and a teenager. Anybody who heard his tracks back in the day would've probably compared him to Smokey Robinson.

you keep on dreaming about someone else coming along in 20 years. Austin hasn't just started, he started doing music a decade ago, the guy is in his mid 20s not a 15 year old Bieber replica, he's a grown adult who can't help but copy. If the the copying wasn't so obvious it wouldn't be talked about. There is a difference between being influenced and jacking swag. And no him being Maureen's son does not mean he's going to get a pass although I know that's what you'd want.

you keep on dreaming about someone else coming along in 20 years. Austin hasn't just started, he started doing music a decade ago, the guy is in his mid 20s not a 15 year old Bieber replica, he's a grown adult who can't help but copy. If the the copying wasn't so obvious it wouldn't be talked about. There is a difference between being influenced and jacking swag. And no him being Maureen's son does not mean he's going to get a pass although I know that's what you'd want.

You know I was going to give an intelligent reply to your post until you had to bring that attitude in twice. Can't you be nice about what you write? Really, it's not that hard.

Of course he's influences from the Jacksons and looking at the vid MIKE for sure.. however people wont compare him the same way we will.. theres MJ likeness that we see that the general public will over look.. Some may not realize but some people actually think USHER started the "side moonwalk" as many call it.. AKA "side float".. lol!! Or think "Rhianna started the chant from WBSS" So if he's gonna do some James brown inspired MJ moves and pop etc.. they are not going to always connect it to Michael.. the media will at first but the pre-teen/teen generations wont really.. Not as much as we do that KNOW..

This music from the sound and look is aimed for a younger appeal and that generation for a large doesn't really KNOW!! .. its ashame but true

If Austin Brown wasn't the nephew of Michael, nobody here would listen this commercial overproduced shit.

Just to remember to some members, Austin Brown should have released an album in summer 2005. He did some interviews, in some medias. He didn't. Why? Nobody knows, but to release a very bad song like this after 6 years, it's a insult for the music.

And the guy says that he's a musician? He plays guitar and piano and he releases a thing like that ?

One more proof, that, there was one and only talent in this family.

Don't quote me to tell I'm a Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad fan, you know I'm right.

This song sucks. Don't be Bad with your ears guys, there are enough commercial shit on radios , no need one more :lol:

Edit : And no need to say that the futur of this song, will be a flop, you already know it :lol:

If Austin Brown wasn't the nephew of Michael, nobody here would listen this commercial overproduced shit.

Just to remember to some members, Austin Brown should have released an album in summer 2005. He did some interviews, in some medias. He didn't. Why? Nobody knows, but to release a very bad song like this after 6 years, it's a insult for the music.

And the guy says that he's a musician? He plays guitar and piano and he releases a thing like that ?

One more proof, that, there was one and only talent in this family.

Don't quote me to tell I'm a Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad fan, you know I'm right.

This song sucks. Don't be Bad with your ears guys, there are enough commercial shit on radios , no need one more :lol:

Edit : And no need to say that the futur of this song, will be a flop, you already know it :lol:

This isn't even a song, it's his music that's gonna be featured on his upcoming album. Btw for a video that's got almost 400,000 views, it sure looks like a flop.

Also, major gossip blogs are spreading the word about it.

Edit: You should really go back to Kindergarten 'cause your grammar is horrid and you need to get rid of the potty mouth.

This isn't even a song, it's his music that's gonna be featured on his upcoming album. Btw for a video that's got almost 400,000 views, it sure looks like a flop.

Also, major gossip blogs are spreading the word about it.

Edit: You should really go back to Kindergarten 'cause your grammar is horrid and you need to get rid of the potty mouth.

That was pretty low...considering this is a board with members from all walks of life and languages. So what if his mother tongue is not english...if you understood his writing enough to insult him, it shows his english isn't as "horrid" as you think.

I won't report your post (Thou shall not insulting another member is rule #1001..or so I think) , simply because I have never been a "tattletaler" ...but ...smdh at the continuous hypocrisy here.

Diplomate, your posts always amuse me. I do get your sense of humour, because I tend to be pretty sarcastic myself... Keep it up....

By the way, Austin's isn't showcasing A song...It's a teaser ...basically, he is previewing his upcoming EP by mashing several cuts in the video. It's like a commercial for the upcoming album.

Last edited:

Ah yeah sorry for my english it's not my mother tongue.

And the " music " of Austin Brown is a commercial s**t. You can heard the same kind of thing everyday.

Difficult for a musician like me ^^

Btw, I like your posts Memefan, no blablabla, straight to the point, the King would be proud ^^

And I'm a girl :lol:

That was pretty low...considering this is a board with members from all walks of life and language. So what if his mother tongue is not english...if you understood his writing enough to insult him, it shows his english isn't as "horrid" as you think.

I won't report your post
(Thou shall not insulting another member is rule #1001..or so I think) , simply because I have never been a "tattletaler" ...but ...smdh at the continuous hypocrisy here.

Diplomate, your posts always amuse me. I do get your sense of humour, because I tend to be pretty sarcastic myself... Keep it up....

By the way, Austin's isn't showcasing A song...It's a teaser ...basically, he is previewing his upcoming EP by mashing several cuts in the video. It's like a commercial for the upcoming album.
But I will, I won't give anyone a pass anymore, no one's gonna be excused, I don't care if they're a Jackson Fam Mem or a Jackson Fam Stan

And this is the second time I have seen this particular poster mock Diplomate's linguistic abilities. Enough is Enough

Ok, ok. Please move on from this. Yes, we are from all different walks of life and languages. We convey things differently. Please stop stooping to personal attacks on one another. Also, it really is just petty to start picking on someone's grammar just because you disagree with them. Please refrain from using curse words to explain you disdain in every post. Please. The tone is really bad.

Thanks everyone.

http://www.ifc.com/news/2011/06/the-king-of-pops-nephew-austin.php

Austin Brown is Michael and Janet Jackson's nephew, but he's also a young, humble singer with his own label and his own vision for what his music should be.

Posted 06/09/2011 1059 AM by Grayson Currin

The King of Pop's nephew, Austin Brown, talks Q-Tip, OneRepublic collaborations

Austin Brown is the next generation of American pop music's first family, The Jacksons. The son of Rebbie, the oldest musical member of the more famous troupe that includes Janet and Michael, the 25-year-old Brown was purposefully raised outside of the public sphere by his parents. But now he's ready for his own shot at fame, with a debut EP slated for release later this summer and a full-length album in the works for early next year.

"We've been working on the music for the last three years for my album, 85," Brown said by phone last week after nearly a month in New York with producer Rodney Jerkins, picking songs for the forthcoming preview. "The important thing for me about the EP is to really give people the dynamics of what we can do musically--where we can go, where we want to go, and where we want to experiment."

Speaking of exploration, Brown will soon put the finishing touches on two collaborations--a track with OneRepublic's Ryan Tedder and another with A Tribe Called Quest maestro Q-Tip. Both pairings, he says, grew out of mutual friends and collaborators. The work with Ketter came after a DJ at Los Angeles' KISS FM 102.7 suggested they meet because they seemed to think about music in the same way. A series of e-mails and record suggestions eventually led to a writing session in L.A.

"We have such similar writing styles in how we approach melodic structures that it felt so organic to me," says Brown. Ketter is his contemporary, but he says Q-Tip is an idol. Even after being mentored by the entire Jackson family and Prince and after joining uncle Michael onstage at Wembley more than a decade ago, Brown seems genuinely stunned that he was able to work alongside the rapper.

"I grew up on that," he says. "I'm one of those backpack kids, growing up loving that hip-hop vibe and era. We finally got into the room to meet and talk about music, and it went great. We said, 'Let's do something.'"

Despite the easy access to the entertainment industry his pedigree provides, Brown actually started his own label, The Royal Factory, to release his music. Michael taught him the importance of owning his own material and controlling how it's used. Something else he must have learned from Michael is the power of a good video, or the ability to bring a song closer to the audience by giving it a visual context. Indeed, he offered the first look at his new album via a four-minute trailer that gives glimpses at his family, finds him walking among the stars and playing the role of a svelte, smooth-singing seducer. The trailer was directed by Tom DeSanto, the producer of X-Men and Transformers.

"I'm from the MTV generation, so music videos were everything to me. Those were my bedtime stories. That's what I wanted to get back to with the video," says Brown. Despite the multimedia debut, Brown says he doesn't yet have aspirations or abilities to be a cross-platform star with fame in movies and music. "No way am I putting myself on that level."

Brown's humility also applies to future collaborations with members of his own family. He's just getting his start, he says, and his skills aren't quite ready to pair with those of a longtime mentor like Janet.

"I've got things I want to do to prove myself," says Brown. "I'm not there yet."

Do you think the legacy pressure is high for a singer like Austin Brown? And what do you think of a musician premiering music with a movie trailer?

(Sorry if this has already been posted. I haven't been current with any Jackson-Fam related news for a while now. I just happened to come across this on Twitter today and didn't see a thread here talking about it.)

No problem dear _ we will merge it with the other post this time instead of closing
Just be sure to use search next time

^^^I hope so too... he seems like he has put in a lot of work and he works hard... His video got to 2million views quick

I'm really excited for his album, the snippets of songs in that trailer were AMAZING. I love me some disco/OTW inspired music!

Back