BAD25 - designated Discussion Thread

Re: BAD25 - The Announcement We Have All Been Waiting For [General Discussion]

I don't think there is anything wrong with having concerns. Just have to hope for the best.

I still can't get over the fact that some of you have to turn this thread into a Michael album / Cascio song discussion. How many times do you need to be reminded that it's not the topic here?

I agree with the concerns. I just hope they get it right this time. Their track record has not been good thus far.

Depending on the contents of the 2nd disc, all signs are pointing to this years Bad 25 celebrations being the shiznit! :dancin:

I'm a few pages off, I know, but I wanted to post my thoughts here.

I understand fans are concerned over the VHS tape situation. I also understand that some fans have accepted it after the Estate's statement regarding the situation. Based on what I've seen from the Estate this far, if they had a better quality version of the concerts, they would release it. I know it was a similar situation for the Cascio tracks (which I won't talk about here), but they now realize that fans won't buy anything if it's not the absolute best they can get. And, as it seems, Michael's VHS copy is the best they can get. So we need to be happy that they chose to release the VHS transfer, rather than have to deal with no concert at all.

Well as I think of an upcoming Queen release Live in Budapest 1986 concert film which will be showed in cinemas and released on Blu-Ray, this VHS-only-source-thing makes me bittersweet. Still I'm glad I'm Queen fan also so I'll expierience more Queen in HD this September :D

Well as I think of an upcoming Queen release Live in Budapest 1986 concert film which will be showed in cinemas and released on Blu-Ray, this VHS-only-source-thing makes me bittersweet. Still I'm glad I'm Queen fan also so I'll expierience more Queen in HD this September :D

Shame it's Budapest '86, though at this point, when the HD and Blu-Ray material they have is quite limited, I'll happily take it...

I don't know why it bothers people it's a VHS transfer, I mean YOU CAN'T get more legitimate stuff than this: a VHS coming from Michael's collection. It's THE real deal, I like to watch HD or restored stuff too but really, I'm glad it's coming from Michael's video vault and I'm glad they'll release it. People just seem to refute everything Michael- related, these days. Why can't we just be happy for the things we're getting? SMH. And if it's about getting the best for what you're paying, if it's not good enough for them, just don't buy it :sigh:

I don't know why it bothers people it's a VHS transfer, I mean YOU CAN'T get more legitimate stuff than this: a VHS coming from Michael's collection. It's THE real deal, I like to watch HD or restored stuff too but really, I'm glad it's coming from Michael's video vault and I'm glad they'll release it. People just seem to refute everything Michael- related, these days. Why can't we just be happy for the things we're getting? SMH. And if it's about getting the best for what you're paying, if it's not good enough for them, just don't buy it :sigh:

People are disappointed that's all. It's a natural reaction because many fans expected much more. We were all under the impression that Mike was really keen on documenting his life and we knew that good quality BAD concerts existed. It's just disappointment that Mike didn't make sure his BAD concerts were filmed in the best audio/video quality AND stored properly. Now we're left in this situation where the best combination for commercial purposes appears to be good quality master audio for a Live CD release and a much worse than expected VHS quality video to accompany it. We expected BluRay video because we knew that should have been possible. when other acts are releasing BluRay concerts from concerts filmed in the 1980s it's such a shame that one of the most highly rated performers ever does not have a comparable product from his 1980s concerts. Instead we get video that is below VHS standards.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're getting this. Personally I think it should have been released 20 years ago because the costumes and hair styles are awful in 2012. They do distract from the quality of the performance IMO.

YOU CAN'T get more legitimate stuff than this: a VHS coming from Michael's collection. It's THE real deal I'm glad it's coming from Michael's video vault and I'm glad they'll release it.

Call it conspiracy from my side, but IMO no one of us knows how much of this is true. They could've just added this fact to spice up and kinda make it up for bad quality. You know it's from MJ's personal collection. Obviously lots of fans are gonna be OMG just like you now. What if they said they bought this from some fan? Impact wouldn't be as big.

People are disappointed that's all. It's a natural reaction because many fans expected much more. We were all under the impression that Mike was really keen on documenting his life and we knew that good quality BAD concerts existed. It's just disappointment that Mike didn't make sure his BAD concerts were filmed in the best audio/video quality AND stored properly. Now we're left in this situation where the best combination for commercial purposes appears to be good quality master audio for a Live CD release and a much worse than expected VHS quality video to accompany it. We expected BluRay video because we knew that should have been possible. when other acts are releasing BluRay concerts from concerts filmed in the 1980s it's such a shame that one of the most highly rated performers ever does not have a comparable product from his 1980s concerts. Instead we get video that is below VHS standards.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're getting this. Personally I think it should have been released 20 years ago because the costumes and hair styles are awful in 2012. They do distract from the quality of the performance IMO.

Hairstyles and costumes never distracted me from any quality performance. I can watch concerts from the 70s and 80s and enjoy them regardless of the hairstyles/costumes they have. To me that's not of importance at all.

Also now it's BELOW VHS standards? Not even VHS stadard but below it? Where did you get that from?

People are disappointed that's all. It's a natural reaction because many fans expected much more. We expected BluRay video because we knew that should have been possible. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're getting this. Personally I think it should have been released 20 years ago because the costumes and hair styles are awful in 2012. They do distract from the quality of the performance IMO.
You mean hairstyles and costumes from the 80's? still, I don't get distracted at all by such things. We have the likes of Lady Gaga nowadays, so yeah. I don't pay attention, sometimes I get a giggle out of 'em but that's all. Anyway, I'm sure Michael recorded the concert with the best he could get at the time, and probably the fact they're not restoring it or making it BluRay is to keep the authenticity factor, and I'm more than ok with it.

Obviously lots of fans are gonna be OMG just like you now. What if they said they bought this from some fan? Impact wouldn't be as big.
I'm not going "omg" but yes, I'm excited and I'm not ashamed to admit it. It saddens me that people just keep complaining instead of embracing the news. I doubt a fan would've recorded the whole concert without insane camera shakiness. So, that wouldn't be a credible source and people wouldn't go for it. I'm speaking for myself here and say I'm pretty happy about this.

I read the post on facebook about the tracklist of unreleased material CD2 on Bad25th anniversary deluxe..
Is it already announced and confirmed? Is that true?
I'm sorry I could not catch up the latest news..
and I am not sure already this was posted...

CD2: Demos/Remixes
1. "Get In To The Groove (Black Or White Demo)"
2. "Don't Be Messin' Round (Demo)"
3. "Hot Fever (Demo)"
4. "Al Capone (Demo)"
5. "Never Felt So Good (Demo)"
6. "The Way You Make Me Feel (Demo)"
7. "You Were There"
8. "Tomboy (Demo)"
9. "The Price Of Fame"
10. "Liberian Girl (Demo)"
11. "Who Do You Know (1986 Demo)"
12. "Bad (AfroJack Remix)"
13. "The Way You Make Me Feel (Diplo Remix)"
14. "Smooth Criminal (A-Track Remix)"
15. "Another Part Of Me (Skrillex Remix)"

I read the post on facebook about the tracklist of unreleased material CD2 on Bad25th anniversary deluxe..

CD2: Demos/Remixes
2. "Don't Be Messin' Round (Demo)"
3. "Hot Fever (Demo)"
4. "Al Capone (Demo)"
7. "You Were There"
8. "Tomboy (Demo)"
9. "The Price Of Fame"
10. "Liberian Girl (Demo)"
11. "Who Do You Know (1986 Demo)"
12. "Bad (AfroJack Remix)"
13. "The Way You Make Me Feel (Diplo Remix)"
14. "Smooth Criminal (A-Track Remix)"

Dafuq?

I'm not going "omg" but yes, I'm excited and I'm not ashamed to admit it. It saddens me that people just keep complaining instead of embracing the news. I doubt a fan would've recorded the whole concert without insane camera shakiness. So, that wouldn't be a credible source and people wouldn't go for it. I'm speaking for myself here and say I'm pretty happy about this.

BTW just a sidenote, I'm not talking about amateur video. U know there are fans and non fans out there who has the pro tapes actually of such stuff we ain't seen in dreams. Several people in world have it but not Estate lol. I know this stuff, this is a fact.

It's fake.

It's from the Dangerous sessions.

3. "Hot Fever (Demo)"

Hot Fever is the demo of TWYMMF.

It's from the Thriller sessions.

7. "You Were There"

I doubt this was ever recorded. Only played live, once.

Skittles isn't part of the Bad25 project.

Also now it's BELOW VHS standards? Not even VHS stadard but below it? Where did you get that from?

I'm not saying the teaser reveals the real quality, but you can judge for yourself.

Footage filmed in 1986. VHS -

Footage filmed in 1987. VHS -

Bad 25 DVD teaser footage from 1988 -

Hairstyles and costumes never distracted me from any quality performance. I can watch concerts from the 70s and 80s and enjoy them regardless of the hairstyles/costumes they have. To me that's not of importance at all.

Probably from the official trailer.

^^ I'm waiting for the actual released version to judge how good or bad the quality is.

I'm not saying the teaser reveals the real quality, but you can judge for yourself.

If you are not saying the teaser reveals the real quality then why should I judge based on the teaser?

^^ I'm waiting for the actual released version to judge how good or bad the quality is.

If you are not saying the teaser reveals the real quality then why should I judge based on the teaser?

Cause it actually could be the real quality. However I tend to think it's not. Either way opinions are split about this one. The footage sent to TV stations also looked the same as in teaser, just zoomed to 16:9.

This one is extremaly compressed but it's source looks very HQ. This is July 14 though.

If you gonna made up tracklist, make it more credible.
If you have no idea what song when and how was named, better don't. Not just list some songs you've heard about.
Really, some people.

Yes it's BELOW VHS standards. (thanks for the screen caps MJJLatvia)
The reason is simple. As soon as a VHS is made the magnetic tape starts to degrade. IF this VHS was created in the late 80s it's had over 20 years of degradation even if it was never played! If it was made in the late 90s which to me is definitely the last time anybody would ask for a VHS to be created since DVDs were widespread by then (we had our first DVD player in 1998/9), expecially for those who had money, then it's had maybe 15 years to degrade.
It's also true that every time a VHS is played it is slightly degraded through mechanical wear (i.e. the tape rubbing against the video and audio heads), and by stretching (this is made worse when fast forwarding/rewinding and especially if the owner likes to pause!). We don't know if this was a first generation VHS taken straight from source or if it was a duplicate VHS (my guess judging from the clip is that it's the latter)

Once VHS degradation has occured it's not possible to restore it to its previous state.

It doesn't matter who did the enhancements they wouldn't be able to enhance an old VHS back to original quality, so yes the DVD release will be below VHS standards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpOb-PYlv0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4M-TQsNjFE We don't know what it will look like exactly, we'll find out on September 17th. Until then, just get excited.

These restorations just fix up bugs. They don't improve quality. Probably on Wembley VHS there isn't such jitter issue like in sample above which would be needed to fix. And quality looks VERY bad from snippets, so I'm not sure if they could do anything to improve it. That ofc is if the quality is same as source in those snippets. I REALLY hope it's better than that. Otherwise I can't imagine what could they restore from a footage where you can hardly see Michaels face.

These restorations just fix up bugs. They don't improve quality. Probably on Wembley VHS there isn't such jitter issue like in sample above which would be needed to fix. And quality looks VERY bad from snippets, so I'm not sure if they could do anything to improve it. That ofc is if the quality is same as source in those snippets. I REALLY hope it's better than that. Otherwise I can't imagine what could they restore from a footage where you can hardly see Michaels face.

I agree with everything you say, but these people are magician's. I have no clue how good they'll do the job.

Well, either way, I'm still excited we're getting this DVD. I've seen footage in even worse quality, but it's better than nothing. I'm sure in due time, the Estate will find the original masters and release them one day (it's out there somewhere). I'm glad Michael did keep at least some copies of his tour performances.

Well, either way, I'm still excited we're getting this DVD. I've seen footage in even worse quality, but it's better than nothing. I'm sure in due time, the Estate will find the original masters and release them one day (it's out there somewhere). I'm glad Michael did keep at least some copies of his tour performances.

Me too. I think it's fantastic Michael kept his performances, they are amazing things to watch and they prove he was out of this world when it came to performing.

Back