Bmi Urban Awards... mike didnt appear

So he doesn't want to show up celebrating the achievement his family made altogether because he's so tired of being joked on from people but can show up randomly at Planet Hollywood wearing pajama pants?

Just saying.

making a 5min stop sumwhere is nothin. he cudda been there 4 a quick second. whereas awards can take all day. and im sure he aint worried about no jokes. "just sayin" Next>>>

Wow, the Jacksons are a beautiful family!!
They are aren't they? As I said earlier, I was disappointed that MJ wasn't in the lineup but then changed my mind as I saw the brothers basking in the limelight. Like Mello said, just maybe MJ stayed away so that his family wouldn't be overshadowed. I must say that I am getting a new found respect for Janet. I like the way she loves and respects her brothers. You can feel the love. What a lucky woman.

The thing is with Michael Jackson -- its damned if you do and damned if you don't. There is never a win win situation. I couldn't think of a lovelierr evening if all the brothers thats mike and jermaine included were present...expecially that the entire rest of the family showed up but, there could have been a million different reasons as to why the absentees would have to be excused. Maybe it was pre planned foreign travel or clash of appointments or even not having the intention of showing up in the first place.

I think we are pretty much the only ones analysing the event and lamenting at Michael's absence. that's fine but try not to worry over it too mcuh.

yesterday when I read this BMI award thread.. I was a litte perturb of the negative and judgemental attitudes from some that posted comments especially on the pages I read thru.... I was thinking that these folks have NO idea why Michael didn't go....why didn't they just see the bigger picture of the Jacksons being honored for all the years of hard work and don't get tunnel vision.. with why Michael did n't show up...

to my surprise this morning.. I started to read the LA Times review of the BMI awards and was pleasantly surprised of how POSITIVE it was.. and that the media beat the fans...coming to the conclusion that Michael's reason for not showing up... was a very unselfish one .. of giving his siblings the opportunity to get all the attention.. insead of himsef...

here is the article
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/soundboard/2008/09/bmi-urban-award.html

BMI Urban Awards: No Michael Jackson, much T-Pain

03:46 PM PT, Sep 5 2008

Two truths could be gleaned from last night's eight BMI Urban Awards ceremony at the Wilshire Theatre. One, it's T-Pain's world, at least for now. And two, Michael Jackson is still an inescapable presence in pop, even when he's a physical no-show. But his brothers made their contributions too.
This annual event honors the most performed songs on urban radio -- the R&B and hip-hop hits with the most juice. T-Pain wasn't the only songwriter pulled up onstage to receive a prize numerous times: Producer Polow da Don could barely get off the podium, and Patrick "j. Que" Smith and Ezekiel Lewis from hit-making Atlanta crew the Clutch warmed it up some too.

But the man who's turned Auto-Tune into a virtuoso instrument ruled the night, not only taking away the songwriter of the year prize, but also adding some infectious verve to an otherwise less-than-thrilling parade of industry types holding up placards and getting their photos snapped.

"I lost 40 pounds!" the Florida-based rappa ternt sanga declared after claiming one of his many prizes. Then, if my ears can be trusted, he said, "Y'all can suck my fat." An odd expression of pride, perhaps. But as a performer, T-Pain is a trickster in the Flavor Flav mode -- he licked and caressed his songwriter of the year trophy quite impishly -- so verbal head scratchers from him shouldn't come as a surprise.

Contrasting with T-Pain's charming silliness was Marlon Jackson's eloquence in accepting the BMI Icon Award for himself and his brothers. Nearly all of the clan showed up for the big moment -- Michael was the only absent sibling -- and there was a lot of emotion in the rows they occupied.
Sister Janet emerged at night's end to present the award to her brothers, looking svelte in a sort of semiformal take on a WAC uniform; she got so choked up that she could barely make it through her speech. Things got even more awkward when youngest Jackson Randy recalled his mom making him wash dishes after he played his first show at the Forum. That's when Marlon saved the day.
Still looking suave at 51 (OK, I admit it: He was my favorite Jackson when I plastered their poster onto my bedroom wall at age 9), Marlon praised "my father's wisdom" in putting together the family band, gave props to Motown and urged everyone to "study peace" before thanking BMI for being the first organization to give props to the Jackson 5 -- as opposed to honoring only their reclusive, notorious, insanely gifted second-youngest member.

It was a gracious speech that completely sidestepped the family's famous troubles. But Jackson's not on the campaign trail, so full disclosure's not really required. And if a few audience members (including this one) squirmed to see the Jacksons getting sniffly as patriarch Joe -- whose reputation, based on gossip, known infidelities and public accusations of abuse from siblings Michael and LaToya, rivals that of the late Ike Turner as one of the worst in pop music -- stood at their center ... well, as every pundit trying to parse the undeniable appeal of pit bull mom Sarah Palin is now quick to acknowledge, families are complicated. Some more than others.

Michael's absence from the ceremony certainly disappointed many, but in a way it was for the best: This was the time for the other brothers to shine and for those present to recall that their breakthroughs as a group made an important mark on pop history, outside of their resident genius' later accomplishments. Watching them respond to this recognition with dignity and pride, I felt strangely grateful to Michael for staying away and letting his brothers bask a little.

The only simple truth about the Jacksons is that they changed the face of black pop by creating a sound that appealed to young kids and created a new crossover market for soul. At the Wilshire, several contemporary artists paid tribute to that sound, but few could actually match its perfection.
The night's musical standout was Keri Hilson, R&B's smartest new ingenue. Hilson, whose debut album comes out in October, put the torch to "Who's Lovin' You," the Smokey Robinson tune the J5 recorded in 1969.

Less successful were Hannah Montana could-have-been JoJo, who seemed uncomfortable sharing a duet of "I'll Be There" with the adorable Lloyd, and "Dancing With the Stars" moonlighter Mario, who had the moves but not the voice to pull off the Michael-penned "This Place Hotel." A finale that brought him together with Ray Jay, Lloyd and Bobby Valentino hit some high points but felt unrehearsed.

That's the problem, though, with Michael Jackson's legacy; the artistic problem, that is. He's often imitated -- Ne Yo does so spectacularly on one track on his upcoming album -- but few singers have the chops or the presence to really match his style.

Which brings us back to T-Pain. His cyborg voodoo style has its limitations, but he owns it. Crooning along to a track in a spectacular purple Baron Samedi get-up to close the awards show, T-Pain didn't worry about hitting the high notes or busting cool dance moves. He just shone, as he was: America's favorite dangerous joker this side of Heath Ledger. And as Flavor Flav would say, it felt aaiiight.
-- Ann Powers
Photo of the Jacksons by Chris Pizzello / Associated Press

Last edited:
I think they read the thread and got that fron me, cause I said in my very first post that although I was disappointed not to see MJ and Jermaine too, that the brothers did get to shine, and I loved that.
I am now thinking that maybe Jermaine also stayed away in order to take the attention away from MJ not being there. Had Michael been the only one missing the press would have had a field day.

I am even beginning to harbour the possibility that the brthers could go on the road without Michael and still be a rousing success.

first of all...i'm impressed at all the positive things a writer from the los angeles times would say about Michael. i'm used to the opposite. everything he said, is true.

second of all...i'm glad that tpain got his moment. he is the quintissential example of appreciating your God given gift, even if convention demands that it is not a gift. convention can, indeed, suck his fat..lol. i am a tpain fan. i don't know that anyone will consider tpain legit, now, that he got the nod from bmi..but...don't matter.

Without MJ the whole thing is pointless! the main talent that made Jackson 5 was Michael!

Thanks Rasta for that article. Agree with your post.

The thing is with Michael Jackson -- its damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Ain't that the truth!! It will never change, especially where his selfish fans are concerned. He is picked a part like a specimen under a microscope continuously. And never seem to like anything for that matter so makes you wonder why they are even fans.

Anyway it was nice they were honoured.

And what they hell was stalker doing at the awards? What was he trying to achieve. I bet another opportunity to create some public spat so he could talk about it to the media. LOL! Funny, since he said Michael damaged him and yet goes deliberately to see him. He's a person Michael needs to stay well clear of. Although I would have paid to see Michael gangsta walk straight past him. LOL!

The ones who are mad are the ones who expected him to show up but i'm not one of those people.

It's actually more like the people who are mad are the people who are mad about everything. To them, Michael can't do anything right. He could outsell "Thriller" and these same people would still find something to bitch about.

second of all...i'm glad that tpain got his moment. he is the quintissential example of appreciating your God given gift, even if convention demands that it is not a gift. convention can, indeed, suck his fat..lol. i am a tpain fan. i don't know that anyone will consider tpain legit, now, that he got the nod from bmi..but...don't matter.
mate, T-Pain doesn't even know that his producers used AutoTune on his voice. he thinks it's a vocoder

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/features/id.765/title.t-pain-musical-bartender

f_laugh.gif

and the other pisstake here is that everyone is calling it "the T-Pain effect" when only a decade ago they were calling it "the Cher effect" LOL

"do you BeLieVe in life after love..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgfNX5KLT38

f_doh.gif

innovative/talented/creative, my arse.

Yeah they always forgetting the pioneers (read my response on the MTV thread, lol)! :lol:

lol...well...you know...people can debate ad infinitum on what tpain has and doesn't have...

they can decide who is a pioneer and not a pioneer...there will always be somebody who will come in and say their pioneer was better than your pioneer. talk about a cobweb....

pass up too many giftwrapped boxes that seem small...and you miss out on the diamonds.

tpain has a gift...and...that's all that matters to me. and he has another greater gift..passing up all the negativity, to become successful, rather than wallow in a pity party, listening to all the whispers in his ears and becoming something negative. now THAT is a rarity...especially coming from an oppressed neighborhood. and because of that, his first musical gift has become greater. i can't tell you how many times i listened to 'bartender'.

Last edited:
That's the problem, though, with Michael Jackson's legacy; the artistic problem, that is. He's often imitated -- Ne Yo does so spectacularly on one track on his upcoming album -- but few singers have the chops or the presence to really match his style.

This I like. Finally someone highlighted what a vocal giant Michael is.

lol...well...you know...people can debate ad infinitum on what tpain has and doesn't have...

they can decide who is a pioneer and not a pioneer...there will always be somebody who will come in and say their pioneer was better than your pioneer. talk about a cobweb....

pass up too many giftwrapped boxes that seem small...and you miss out on the diamonds.

tpain has a gift...and...that's all that matters to me. and he has another greater gift..passing up all the negativity, to become successful, rather than wallow in a pity party, listening to all the whispers in his ears and becoming something negative. now THAT is a rarity...especially coming from an oppressed neighborhood. and because of that, his first musical gift has become greater. i can't tell you how many times i listened to 'bartender'.

T-Pain ain't got a gift. He's got a friend.

The name of that friend is payola. :lol:

You're about one of the only ones bigging T-Pain. Now I can understand why some would dig Akon (though technically he also uses Auto-Tone) but Teddy Pend-Her-A$$ Down? :rollin:

T-Pain ain't got a gift. He's got a friend.

The name of that friend is payola. :lol:

You're about one of the only ones bigging T-Pain. Now I can understand why some would dig Akon (though technically he also uses Auto-Tone) but Teddy Pend-Her-A$$ Down? :rollin:

we'll agree to disagree on this one, lol. i can certainly understand why he said 'suck my fat'. lol

and technically everyone uses AutoTune. wouldn't be surprised if engineers smoothed out any tiny wrinkles on Invincible using pitch-correction plugins, and it's widely known that engineers used analogue pitch-processors to fine-tune ish back in the pre-digital day.

and it's OK to use it, i guess. but abuse it? mmm mm na.

but i prefer the "natural thickness", as Lauryn Hill calls it, of the unpolished raw human voice.

"I don't like to use compressors and take away my textures, because I was raised on music that was recorded before technology advanced to the place where it could be smooth. I wanna hear that thickness of sound. You can't get that from a computer, because a computer's too perfect. But that human element, that's what makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I love that."

Lauryn Hill, Rolling Stone 1999

and technically everyone uses AutoTune. wouldn't be surprised if engineers smoothed out any tiny wrinkles on Invincible using pitch-correction plugins, and it's widely known that engineers used analogue pitch-processors to fine-tune ish back in the pre-digital day.

and it's OK to use it, i guess. but abuse it? mmm mm na.

but i prefer the "natural thickness", as Lauryn Hill calls it, of the unpolished raw human voice.

"I don't like to use compressors and take away my textures, because I was raised on music that was recorded before technology advanced to the place where it could be smooth. I wanna hear that thickness of sound. You can't get that from a computer, because a computer's too perfect. But that human element, that's what makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I love that."

Lauryn Hill, Rolling Stone 1999

I definitely agree with that rhetoric. I think many artists use it just for laziness.

A singer very famous in my country called Renato Russo said one thing about the voice and interpretation of MJ when he sings:

"Michael Jackson can make of You're not alone a wonderfull song.Nobody note that music is not very good, but the voice of MJ in any music make it special."

So..He not like to much YANA but I like that he said...

Last edited:
Well that's true. YANA isn't a great song, in my opinion, it's actually one of the only songs on "History" that I don't really like, but Michael's vocal dilivery and quality is outstanding. He can make a mediocre song in to a great song just through his vocal performance.

Back