Cee-Lo Green: I was afraid of Thriller

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
http://www.musicrooms.net/rock-and-pop/26419-cee-lo-green-i-was-afraid-of-thriller.html

Cee-Lo Green thinks he’s a successful musician because he managed to conquer his fear of ghosts.

The 36-year-old is thrilled with the course his career has taken, and can’t wait to perform at the Grammy Awards alongside Gwyneth Paltrow this month.

However, things could have been very different for the star because as a child he was crippled by a fear of spirits. His phobia was so acute he found it difficult to listen to Michael Jackson’s album Thriller – the promo for the title track saw Michael dancing as a zombie – although with hard work he eventually overcame the problem.

“I was terrified of [the record]. I believed in spirits and the supernatural as a kid, so to see Mike as a monster was a frightening image. The reason I’m fearless as an adult – and as an artist – is because I had to get over that fear,” Cee-Lo explained.

“With that being said, this album was a triumph – memorable song after memorable song. I would look at Michael’s illustrations on the liner notes and think, ‘Damn, Mike, you’re an artist through and through.’”

As a teenager Cee-Lo was into hip-hop music. He has particularly fond memories of Dr. Dre’s record The Chronic which was released in 1992, as it reminds him of fun times with her friends.

“I was in ninth grade when this came out, I had just started to smoke weed and this was the perfect soundtrack to my delinquency,” he laughed to Q.

You're not alone Cee. I remember when I first saw the video on Halloween on Disney Channel early 2000's with my younger siblings and we were freaked out! And we still are. That was one memorable Halloween for me :D

I remember Kelly Rowland saying she is still scared of the music video hehe.

aww, I like him. How sweet of him.

I remember I couldn't listen to the laughter in the song until I was like 10 because scared me to death :lol:

Cee lo is a great music mind as well.

Love how he appreciated MJ's drawings in the booklet...

And I know this isn't the right forum, but the song "Bodies" on his album is so good! "Can nonchalance be ambience? Of course..."

Funny to read of song 'Thriller' and weed in one short interview. Even though his weed consumption was associated with a a Dr. Dre track. 'Thriller' was make-believe, at the end of the day, weed is smoking ish, like smoking in general is. Some's lighthearted admittance to past or even current vices or youth experiences are mind-boggling at times. .. The weed mention is the first that got my attention in that interview, and I never even liked 'Thriller' the song/video. ..

Hopefully, with time, more will likely be mentioning/paying tributes to Michael's other works....

haha. i remember having to close my eyes and fast forward the thriller clip under orders of my oldest sister.
its funny but mj's biggest short film was one of the last ones i ever watched
:)

I was terrified of Thriller as well. Every time I'd see the video, I'd watch it but my nerves would be high because of the end. When Michael looked back at the camera with yellow eyes, that was it for me. lol. I could make it through the entire video until the very end. haha.

I have to admit that I still have a hard time watching Thriller. And, I won't even begin to say what my age is.

I was 7 or 8 when Thriller video first aired and I loved it. My parent say they thought there was something wrong with me as I wasn't afraid and enjoyed the video very much :p

I wasn't scared of Thriller at all when I was little. It's not very scary imo.

As a kid I was terrified of the part where Michael is transforming in to a werewolf...

...strangely, today this part is one of my favorite parts of the video..:D

As a kid I was terrified of the part where Michael is transforming in to a werewolf...

...strangely, today this part is one of my favorite parts of the video..:D

Yeah, same here lol. Oddly enough I wasn't afraid of the zombies, but I was with the werewolf.

My parents didn't allow me to watch Thriller! It was too scary in their opinion for a kid to watch.... My mum had a depression and the dead men coming out of the graves in this video were haunting her in her dreams - maybe that's why she didn't allow me to watch it.
It is unbelievable how huge impact this video had on people in those times. It was really something. This was it! :)

I used to have a cassette tape that the CD was taped onto for me to listen to in my room. That was before I even knew what Michael Jackson even looked like. The audio of Thriller was enough to scare me! And that was years before I saw the video! So I can defnitely see where he's coming from! :p

I used to hide away until the opening werewolf scene had finished :lol: the zombies were ok though. (although i still hate that zombie which oozes blood out of his mouth haha)

What? :bugeyed

I was 9 years old when I watched Thriller for the first time :horror :fear: and I was dying of fear! And Ola Ray screaming.....
kermit.gif

michael-jackson-thriller.jpg
thriller.gif
thriller.gif

:bugeyed :fear:

But then the fear went away >
Jackson_popcorn.gif
because I was completely amazed by the video. :D :wild: :punk: :wub:

I saw it in 2001 when I was 9 during an MJ special.

OMG! I can't believe how amazing that video is because I was completely entranced and scared while watching it. I thought it was a movie at first. Sheesh, I can't believe an 80's video was BETTER than all the videos I've seen in my life at that time.

i was never scared of thriller, i knew it was mike so why be scared? mike could never scare me cuz i love him too much and he wasnt a scary person at all

I don't remember ever been frighten of thriller when I was very little! Although that werewolf transformation is wicked, love it!

I remember when I was 13yrs old, I was bringing a slice of pizza to my sister and she was watching Thriller on TV and I walked in when he was changing to the werewolf.

Since I didn't expect to see that walking in the room, it scared the crap out of me...

I screamed and the pizza flew in the air! CTFU Then I got mad at my sister for watching MJ without me! lol :p

What? :bugeyed

I was 9 years old when I watched Thriller for the first time :horror :fear: and I was dying of fear! And Ola Ray screaming.....
kermit.gif

michael-jackson-thriller.jpg
thriller.gif
thriller.gif

:bugeyed :fear:

But then the fear went away >
Jackson_popcorn.gif
because I was completely amazed by the video. :D :wild: :punk: :wub:

Gee thanx ash now im gonna have nightmares tonight :lol:

Back