Chicago is on Sony Music Unlimited, 30 second Snippet preview has been released.

Although it lacked that real POW factor I was initially expecting, I've grown to Love the song after the 10th + time listening to it. Very Urban...with a 90's feel to it. This song will be lapped up by the public and I feel it will appeal to non-MJ fans.

Initial same reaction. I needed a good 10 times and more to listen to it before I could make up my mind and I like it. It got the MJ sound imo. You know where he starts of a bit soft and as more the song goes he gets angry/frustrated and you can hear and feel his vocal range.

Love those kind of MJ songs.

Last edited:
one small note, it appears the rip that's circulated is Dangerous Inc's rip. There's a little audio skip in the bridge and the stereo is inverted (xylophone should be on the left during the chorus). The file is 320kbps but the spectral shows up as more like 256 than 320, it doesn't go completely to 20.5 kHz. The other rip circulating is 128kbps and has the correct stereo and no audio skip.

Chicago is amazing :clapping:
This song has done what I thought was impossible... it got LNFSG out of my head! Now Chicago is in my head :)

The song is so damn good!!

EDIT !!!!

I can't wait for the album to be released !!! 2 first songs from Xscape are perfect!

Last edited:
Heard it loving it can't wait til album comes in this week

^ to say that the lower voice in "Chicago" resembles the lower voice in "Butterflies" and "Fall again" is...................interesting. You think? Does everybody agree on that?

I think that statement right on the money..What do you suggest? That the voice sounds so different from Michael's previous work?

After listening to it a few times, I'm not a massive fan of it. I'll wait for the demo/original version to see if I like the song at all but from this, I'm not too into it.

The song is so damn good!!

I can't wait for the album to be released !!! 2 first songs from Xscape are perfect!

It has download links below the cover...

Last edited:
^ to say that the lower voice in "Chicago" resembles the lower voice in "Butterflies" and "Fall again" is...................interesting. You think? Does everybody agree on that?

I'm not sure what you are trying to suggest, but if someone has doubts about the vocals, this time it's easier to find out things because Cory Rooney was in the studio, as well as Seth Riggs when these vocals were recorded:http://www.damienshields.com/exclusive-story-michael-jacksons-she-was-lovin-me/

In one word "Chicago" is just incredible!.. They picked the right guy for the job, thank you Timbaland!

Timbaland sure has impressed med very much so far!!

Hope he is just as good on the other songs too !!

This song is just everything. I was screaming at work because I was so excited. My boss was making fun and said that the song was about me (since I live in Chicago). I have it on repeat.

They should create a modern Lyric-Video for "Chicago".
:)

Great juxtaposition of a slow melody repeating with the emotion that goes with one who strongly wants to plead his case ...

while playing over the faster paced heated, agitated lyrics (he emotes these so well). Clever; I think It really works!

the intro could be longer
..after Listening-Session #20 :D

but they really did something with the voice, right?
I cant find a song where he sounds like that... its like a mix between heartbreaker and break of dawn in the smoother parts.. but not 100% untouched

anyway Chicago still grows in me :) I like it

Michael sometimes used double tracking on his recording's, check out the don't stop til you get enough snippet from this is it. ''it's my voice with myself'' it's certainly not irregular. lol ;)

They should create a modern Lyric-Video for "Chicago".
:)

certainly, maybe with some snaps of Michael in the studio around the time that the song was recorded :)

We will get to know about the voice once and for all once the demo comes out! :D

I listen to the songs of "Invincible" so much so that they have got rated as most played songs on my cell phone. :D And the moment I heard Chicago I immediately felt the vocals are from MJ's invincible era.

His vocals in Invincible sound deeper and mature just like in "Chicago". And MJ sang those songs in Invincible in a new style to show a whole new side of him. He wanted to establish a more masculine and tougher image in the public with that album. This is a quote from an article which reviewed Invincible.

So far on Invincible, we’ve been presented with Jackson the tough guy and Jackson the lover. Almost certainly a conscious decision. Invincible also features more examples of Jackson’s lower register than ever before. Gone are the sweet falsetto’s and breathy coo’s of his 70s & 80s output. We are in full-out masculine territory here.

You can read the full article here : http://sosogay.co.uk/2013/lost-in-music-michael-jackson-invincible/

Not everybody accepted that kind of image makeover of MJ with that album. Hence, the confusion about his vocals I guess.

Now end of discussion!.. *off to listen Chicago for the umpteenth time :D

Love the way the song starts out, too.

The first sounds one hears sort of tips off the coming "vexation"

...then it takes an almost jaunty feel, and you think. oh no, that was a wrong impression,

for then he starts singing and it's like, "Oh...Imma gonna be listening to a good story of this guys...okay, l'll sit back...

(I really like how it's dialed down musically when he first starts to sing so we listeners can hear his tale clearly... you know, like there is a hush in the room .... all eyes on him)

Then all background music comes in; sounds nice

Of course, the tone changes... and story ends up no so jolly.:no:

I'm liking the song :)

What's kind of nice with this switching tones is that is how this experience has been, no doubt, for this guy... SO happy at first with this girl and the high of maybe falling in love, and then it all falls apart when the deception comes to light. So his emotions would be reeling. Really nice that what was done musically within the song supports this.

Last edited:
I thought how he sings in the chorus almost remind me of little MJ as a kid singing like this part "She thought that lovin' me was cool... You was working and the kids at school." ;)

Gorgeous vocals! And I'm also very pleased with Timbaland's work so far :)

listening for over a hour. like it. starting to love it. the full version leaked :chillin:

Back