CHUCK BERRY- The True King Of Rock 'n' Roll

definition of King:
male monarch of a major territory
When capitalized it signifies God or Christ

Dorothy Labostrie wrote the recorded version of Lil' Richard's 'Tutti Frutti'

Willa Mae 'Big Mama' Thorton, a black female, first sung 'Hound Dog'

There is not a hatred for Elvis Presley. What's disliked, is the credit that is not given to black musicians that came before him. Do to Elvis' popularity, success & accomplishments, much of that credit has been placed at his feet. While he was a great entertainer and loved by millions, he isn't the originator of Rock n Roll. He did take it's popularity to a whole different level.

There should be some middle ground, where everyone is allowed the credit they deserve.

Last edited:
^ I wonder if that post will be removed for being off topic. With all due respect, I'm just saying. Are there double standards for admin/mods and basic members? This is a thread about Chuck Berry, not Elvis Presley and the credit he may or may not have given to the black musicians who's music made him famous. There is another thread dedicated to discussion about Elvis Presley.

^ I wonder if that post will be removed for being off topic. With all due respect, I'm just saying. Are there double standards for admin/mods and basic members? This is a thread about Chuck Berry, not Elvis Presley and the credit he may or may not have given to the black musicians who's music made him famous. There is another thread dedicated to discussion about Elvis Presley.
I can't see how you can avoid mentioning Elvis if the subject is about the TRUE king of R'n R^_^

Exactly. That's why I dispute my earlier posts being removed because they mentioned Elvis Presley and his KOR&R status. Yet, posts from admin about the exact same topic still remain. I don't think admin and mods should be exempt from the rules. In fact, on close inspection of the rules, there is no rule about off topic discussion. So I don't know why anybody's posts in this thread were removed.

Last edited:
How is my reply off topic from the quotes below ?? :huh:

My mother saw Chuck Berry in concert with Little Richard, she was in the VIP section, she also loves Fats Domino.
I don't see the point in putting down Elvis to lift Chuck Berry up though. Elvis paid tribute to alot of the people who wrote and inspired his music. Why is there such a huge hatred for Elvis throughout these boards? lol

I didn't put Elvis down. I just said Chuck Berry smokes him, which he does, imo. SInce we're reffering to the title "King of Rock n' Roll", lol.

I think its because Elvis is lorded by the media and called King while the pioneers who happened to be black gets buried. These people were every bit as popular as Elvis, but the way the media carry on today you would think that he craeted RnR. Why not celebrate them all, instead of this one man who was merely copying what was already out there.:) It is like celebrating JT as king and ignoring MJ.:mello:

Did you know elvis wasn't the first person to sing hounddog.A black women sung it first.Ican't think of her name at the moment.Bot Chuckberry and little Richard are the true kings of rock and Roll.all elvis did was shake his pelvis

Because they are threatened thats why. :yes:
Thats why people always put someone down to try and lift someone up. If they cant do it with Elvis they will do it with his daughter - its sickening.
Thats the only way they think it can be done.
Elvis is and always will be the King of Rock and Roll and some Michael fans cant accept that. Weird i know. But its kinda funny to watch unfold actually...lol
Funny to watch opinions float around cause they know they are in the definate minority of the rest of the world.

Yes i agree he was an amazing talent but hes no Elvis Presley.
I dont think that titles should be given to others if someone else already has them.
What would some think if Michaels 'king of pop' thing was to be given to someone else? No one thinks about that though...

The rest of the world knows that Elvis got his crown the same way Tarzan got his, by default. Elvis is no more king of Rock and Roll than Tarzan is King of the Jungle. The fact remains that the Racist America couldn't have a black man for King. They had to give it to a white man, even if they had to create one. This was the order of the day. During slavery time, the black man did the invention and the white man patented it. It was hard tradition to break out of, so Tarzan became King of an african Jungle and Elvis became king of Rock and roll. The trend continued in boxing, when they were always looking for the 'great white hope'. America just could accept the black Mohammed Ali, they wanted a white champoan and set out looking for him, even using the media and the law to ridicule and degrade mohanmmed ali and turn the whole nation against him. they even tried to put him in prison.
The Jacksons came and they quickly found the Osmans to rival them, putting extreme pressure in those boys and causing a battle between blacks and whites, all because of colour. The media has never forgiven Michael for being so successful. They are still trying to replace him. They even try to resurrect Elviscareer 30 years after he;'s been dead. The problem is that Elvis's career was long dead well before him. Everything else is all hype by the media.
Elvis could sing, he had a good voice, but there were other equally famous people at the time, and they were doing more than Elvis. They were writng the songs that Elvis sang and they were creating the music that Elvis sang. They got no recognition at all from a racist regime, who is presently doing all in their power to keep MJ from getting the recognition that he has worked all his life for. The mere fact that they have acknowledged that MJ is as great as Elvis, suggest to me that they know that MJ is streets ahead of Elvis, but they would never ackowledge that. We have come a long way, yet the more things change, is the more they stay the same.:)

Enough with the racist crap okay? That is getting to be tiring.
Every single person ive seen online that dosent like Elvis and likes MJ more has used that card.
I dont care what u believe to be true. The fact of the matter is Elvis Presley is the King Of Rock And Roll. Like it or not. And really if you dont like it no one cares.
It dosent make history change just cause a few people online dosent agree. lol

I didn't say Chuck Berry smokes Elvis because I'm insecure, I said it because I think he's more talented then Elvis and has done more for the actual genre of rock 'n' roll music. If I was going to assess who is more deserving of the title, I would say Chuck Berry, hands down. Frankly, I don't care who has the title though, it can really be split between a number of artists who pioneered the music genre, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Frankie Lymon, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc...

Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis Presley, none of these guys, as great as they were, were pioneers of Rock and Roll. If there's any one person that is responsible for rock and roll, it's this guys...

Wynonie_Harris.jpg

This is his 1947 cover of "Good Rockin' Tonight":

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gXpxf8iTC3k

The original, by Roy Brown, as just an R&B song and lacked the backbeat that Wynonie Harris's version had. Although Harris wasn't the first to sing blues with a gospel beat, as others like Big Joe Turner had been doing this for years, it was Harris' record that started the "rocking" fad in blues and R&B in the late 40's. After Harris' record, there was a massive wave of rocking blues tunes, and every black singer had a rocking blues record out by 1949 or 1950. It was a sweeping fad that changed R&B forever. "Rocking" was in, boogie woogie was out, and most R&B artists were trying like mad to out-rock each other. This new music had an extremely powerful beat.

Then from there, rock and roll really took off and you start getting record like Ike Turner's "Rocket 88" in 1951, which is often (IMO, inaccurately) called the first rock and roll song. The in 1954, you have records like "Shake, Rattle & Roll" by Big Joe Turner, "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley (the first international rock and roll hit) and "That's All Right (Mama)" by Elvis Presley. After 1954 rock and roll well and truly took over and become a worldwide phenomenon.

So Wynonie Harris, in my best estimation, was the guy who is most responsible for bringing about rock and roll. You can look through out history and find songs will "rock and roll" in its title, which way back was a term used by sailors to describe the rocking and rolling of the ship. And I don't know where it originated, but it also came to be a slang term for sex. As Michael pointed out to will.i.am. So you'll find traces of rock and roll through out the 20th century, but if you ask me, Wynonie Harris is the true pioneer of rock and roll.

I can't believe people are still disputing if Elvis is the King of Rock and Roll or not. He was the most popular and highest selling rock and roll artist. His songs are the most remembered from the rock and roll era. He was the embodiment of rock and roll. When you think of rock and roll you think of Elvis. How can anyone else be the King of Rock and Roll?

No... you asked whether I thought anyone else should be given the title just because other's don't like him.

Your quote:

I don't need to be around when an artist is at their peak to assess their artistic prowess. I think Elvis was talented, but I don't think he had the biggest impact on rock 'n' roll music from an artistic standpoint. If you want to talk about Elvis deserving the title based on popularity, then yeah, he deserves it, and the Beatles deserve the title "Kings of Rock 'N' Roll", but I'm basing it on actual advanement in the genre.

Bob, I thought you didn't care about sales determining an artists claim to a title?

The funny thing is that no one has doubted the fact that Elvis was the King Of Rock and Roll but some Michael fans on message boards.
That will be the only ones it will ever come from. lol

Ill say it again. lol
What u think is irrevelant. Hes the King Of Rock and Roll - end of.
Like it or not.
And yes Elvis did have a HUGE impact on Rock and Roll because he started it all. Like Lennon said 'before Elvis there was nothing.'
He took music to a level it never was before and never will be again.
Simple.

definition of King:
male monarch of a major territory
When capitalized it signifies God or Christ

Dorothy Labostrie wrote the recorded version of Lil' Richard's 'Tutti Frutti'

Willa Mae 'Big Mama' Thorton, a black female, first sung 'Hound Dog'

There is not a hatred for Elvis Presley. What's disliked, is the credit that is not given to black musicians that came before him. Do to Elvis' popularity, success & accomplishments, much of that credit has been placed at his feet. While he was a great entertainer and loved by millions, he isn't the originator of Rock n Roll. He did take it's popularity to a whole different level.

There should be some middle ground, where everyone is allowed the credit they deserve.

Well how was anybody else's posts off topic? The majority of those posts you quoted have been removed. Why? Why are any off topic posts deleted? There is no rule against. In the real world conversations, discussions about one thing usually lead into discussion about another thing. Why should the cyber world be any different?

I'm really not impressed with what's happened today in the way the mods have thrown their weight around. Do you want to keep your members or not? Because every time you remove their posts for being slightly off topic, you are driving them away.

Last edited:
Perhaps they've been made invisible and because your admin you can see them?

I don't know, but basic members cannot see these posts. Forever_Mike said they were removed for being off topic.

My apologies for joining the discussion that I thought was underway. Thanks for the ridicule ;)

There, everything is deleted including my improper comments :D I thought I was helping the discussion with my reply but nevermind :lol:

Last edited:
The intention was not to ridicule you. Simply to bring to your attention the relentless post removing that has gone on today.

And it's happened again! This is unbelievable!!

Point me to the rule that says you cannot post off topic discussion.

Last edited:
your comments were removed ... i posted my comments ... you commented on my post ...

once my error was made clear to me, i corrected it. Y'all had posts deleted by mods ... called me on my mistake and I deleted my own ish along with the posts that related to it. The thread is back to where it was before I so eagerly replied without noticing the invisible posts

Wasn't it said that Ike Turner made the 1st Rock record? Technically R'n'R was just Boogie Woogie Blues mixed with a little country music

The origins of rock and roll are built upon many facets of musical history in my opinion. All of them should be celebrated and held up with much regard. The people that profited and made the most of the early foundations, certainly deserve their status as legends in the music world.

The origins of rock and roll are built upon many facets of musical history in my opinion. All of them should be celebrated and held up with much regard. The people that profited and made the most of the early foundations, certainly deserve their status as legends in the music world.
I agree Chichi. This is my contention, that a large section of the people, the real innovators have been ignored and history is being rewritten for another generation, This is very unfair.
For years we celebrated Florence Nightingale as the hero of the nursing profession, Imagine my shock and horror when I discovered that it was Jamaican born, Mary Secole who was the real hero and she sailed all the way from Jamaica with her own miney and brand of medicine for the victims of the war. She was loved by those soldiers whose lives she had saved and honoured by the royals at the time, but as time went by she was completely removed from the history books and Florence Nightingale was celebrated as the hero instead. Only now has her work been coming to light and reinstated in schools. It is nothing new and people get angry because we think it is unfair.
If we are not vigilant, Michael jacksons contribution would be very much minimised too, as we believe that this is part of the reason why Elvis has been revived, to minimise MJ's impact on the music industry.:)

Last edited:
Wasn't it said that Ike Turner made the 1st Rock record?

yeah rocket (cant remember the number) was it 66? thats credited by many as the first R&R record. at the end od the day certain ppl like to change and re write history as mj said go pcik up a book on R&R and u will see the rolling stones etc on the cover yet the pioneers get put to one side

This is very unfair.
For years we celebrated Florence Nightingale as the hero of the nursing profession, Imagine my shock and horror when I discovered that it was Jamaican born, Mary Secole who was the real hero and she sailed all the way from Jamaica with her own miney and brand of medicine for the victims of the war. She was loved by those soldiers whose lives she had saved and honoured by the royals at the time, but as time went by she was completely removed from the history books and Florence Nightingale was celebrated as the hero instead.

yeah i watched some great docus on mary

Last edited:
If we are not vigilant, Michael jacksons contribution would be very much minimised too, as we believe that this is part of the reason why Elvis has been revived, to minimise MJ's impact on the music industry.:)

:toofunny: !!!!!!

yeah rocket (cant remember the number) was it 66? thats credited by many as the first R&R record. at the end od the day certain ppl like to change and re write history as mj said go pcik up a book on R&R and u will see the rolling stones etc on the cover yet the pioneers get put to one side
Rocket 88 came out in 1951. By that time, Ike Turner was just playing catch up.

And yeah Ike Turner wrote "Rocket 88", it was sung by his saxophonist player from his band, Jackie Brenston. Ike played the original song on piano. It was a blues record when Ike was done with it, Sam Phillips released it on Sun Records and the group was given the shielded name of Jackie Brenston and His Killer Cats or something like that. Bill Haley covered this later on. Jackie left Ike's band shortly there afterwards and Ike went on to find success with Tina as we all know. ;)

In fact you can say people like Roy Brown, Wynonnie Harris (two men Elvis actually learned how to SING from) and Fats Domino were releasing successful "rock & roll" records before Chuck and Richard came into their own.

In fact you can say people like Roy Brown, Wynonnie Harris (two men Elvis actually learned how to SING from) and Fats Domino were releasing successful "rock & roll" records before Chuck and Richard came into their own.
Yet neither Roy Brown or Wynonnie Harris are in the rock and roll hall of fame.

AW: CHUCK BERRY- The True King Of Rock 'n' Roll

Today I bought my ticket for the Chuck Berry concert tomorrow! Cant' wait! :)

I don't know who should be given title but I have enjoyed Chuck Berry's music. He's an artist who is good to listen to for great lyrics as well as great music :)

There's a new fantastic article of Chuck Berry in Rolling Stone! Really great stuff. I'd scan it here...but I don't own a scanner, haha! But it's the newest issue with those bloody naked True Blood actors on it... Friggin nasty cover, imo.

Apparently this is his first lengthy interview in quite awhile!

^^^^Rolling Stone hasn't been any good since the 1980s. I'm surprised they know who Chuck Berry is, lol.

Back