Conrad Murray arraignment January 25th

Yeah ..me neither. I wasn't expecting this at all. And I surely don't want cameras INSIDE the courthouse because the defense will trash MJ to no end.

MJ has been trashed for the past 30 years it means absolutely nothing anymore. He's dead.. He was trashed in 2005 when he was on trial and acquitted it doesn't matter anymore. And besides Murray would be even more guilty if he tries to portray MJ has some raging addict. That would mean he knew MJ was in trouble yet he took the job anyway instead of getting MJ real help

ivy, do you know how transcripts from the prelim can be obtained? is it possible to get them online?

Sadly..I expected this somewhere in my heart. :( I just gotta keep the faith

Seeing the below two stories (bolded parts) and if the judge doesn't change his mind, it's a great probability that we will see the trial live on TV or Internet.

Again if it's aired live and in full it would equal to getting the court transcripts.

--------------------------------------------------------

Michael Jackson case: Dr. Conrad Murray pleads not guilty [Updated]

Michael Jackson’s personal physician described himself as “an innocent man” during a Los Angeles Superior Court hearing Tuesday in which a judge set a March date for his trial in the pop star’s death.

Asked how he pleaded to the charge of involuntary manslaughter, Dr. Conrad Murray began, “Your honor, I am an innocent man -- "

“What’s your plea?” Judge Michael Pastor interrupted.

“Therefore, I plead not guilty,” Murray said.

The physician, who faces a maximum of four years in prison, surprised the judge by invoking his right to a speedy trial, meaning the case would have to begin by March 28.

Pastor remarked on the rarity of a defendant invoking his speedy-trial right but set jury selection for March 28. The judge said his “inclination” was to allow television coverage of the trial, which the defense said was likely to last two months.

Jackson died June 25, 2009, from an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol, which Murray told police he had been using to treat the singer’s chronic insomnia.

Murray’s attorneys said at a preliminary hearing earlier this month that there was evidence Jackson injected or drank a fatal amount of the drug when the physician wasn’t looking.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...ckson-dr-conrad-murray-pleads-not-guilty.html

and
Los Angeles (CNN) -- Dr. Conrad Murray invoked his right to a speedy trial on an involuntary manslaughter charge in the death of Michael Jackson, requiring the case to begin by March 28.
"Your honor, I am an innocent man," Murray said after Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor asked him to enter a plea during his arraignment Tuesday.
"What's your plea?" Pastor asked again.
"Not guilty," Murray said.
Pastor set March 28 as the date for jury selection to begin, and said he is "inclined" to permit live TV coverage of the trial .
Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney David Walgren estimated the trial would take four to six weeks, depending on how long it takes to pick a jury.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/25/california.conrad.murray.hearing/index.html

Wow, March of this year even! I think that's great. I was kind of worrying that if it was next year, well, Katherine is a bit up there in years...and I would hate to think that she would have had to carry this around for another year. So good for March.

Could it be that the judge was influenced by the evidence in any way to schedule it 'so soon' ?

As for cameras in the courtroom, I just can't make up my mind. Would love to see it all live, as has been said, body language and all and maybe see murray sweat, hah! But on the other hand, I sort of worry about grandstanding by the attorneys.
No, then again, with the evidence from the prelim...I guess I have made up my mind...yes to the cameras. This is too important to get filtered through some news organisation.

62 days and counting...

ETA: didn't see the above posts...I don't understand the implications of invoking the right to a 'speedy trial'. Is this supposed to be some clever defense strategy? Do they think the prosecution isn't really ready for the trial? WHAT DO THEY THINK THEY HAVE UP THEIR SLEEVES??

AAARRGGHH!

Last edited:
The physician, who faces a maximum of four years in prison, surprised the judge by invoking his right to a speedy trial, meaning the case would have to begin by March 28.
so thats why its happening so quick

ivy, do you know how transcripts from the prelim can be obtained? is it possible to get them online?

they aren't online. the copies can be bought from the court clerks office from official court reporters but the costs will be really high (several hundred dollars per day)

it's been almost 2 years.. it's time to get the trial started.. The prosecution took forever to charge him, so they better have their ducks in a row. I don't see how Murray think he's innocent. Even if he didn't give too much propofol ( which we know he did) he still wasn't watching his patient. How can he be innocent? he's charged with being careless and negligent and that's the truth. He can't deny that he wasn't safe and cautious because if he was his patient would be alive

The physician, who faces a maximum of four years in prison, surprised the judge by invoking his right to a speedy trial, meaning the case would have to begin by March 28

so thats why its happening so quick

yep I think so too.

If my memory doesn't fail me, preliminary hearing has to happen at a certain time period and Murray previously said that he didn't want the speedy trial and the preliminary hearing was delayed considerably due to this.

It turns out today they wanted a speedy trial and the judge gave a 2 month later start date.

edit : here it is. the prelim had to happen in 10 days after the arraignment and Murray gave up that right

I cant believe he does not have to be there because of work commitments :( The man does not deserve to work!!! Why is he getting such an easy ride in all this??? Makes me so angry...

work commitments? Vegas and Texas needs to suspend his license

they aren't online. the copies can be bought from the court clerks office from official court reporters but the costs will be really high (several hundred dollars per day)

thanks for info. has mjjc considered buying them? maybe set up a page where people can donate?

Cameras in the court room is a good thing. And once again if Murray wants to call Michael a addict let him. All the more reason for him to be found guilty for leaving the room. His lies will sink him

what is the reasoning behind a speedy trial? murray has no money?

what is the reasoning behind a speedy trial? murray has no money?

It's a basic right. Trials and accusations affect people's life hence they are entitled to a speedy trial (that happens within a certain time period) to put the trial behind them and go on with their life (if found innocent of course).

Its all just a complete joke seems he has them wrapped round his fat fingers... He needs to work to pay his legal fees or he will cry that they are stopping him from being able to pay for his lawyers!! :doh: What murray wants Murray gets! :no:

Yeah who's paying to allow Murray to be allowed to be THAT f*******'n confident!!!!

Surprisingly soon right? Not sure what to make of that.
me neither
Its all just a complete joke seems he has them wrapped round his fat fingers... He needs to work to pay his legal fees or he will cry that they are stopping him from being able to pay for his lawyers!! :doh: What murray wants Murray gets! :no:
thats how it comes across doesnt it?

Can the charges still be raised? Or is this charge final? I mean can the D.A still decide to charge Murray with second degree murder?

I must say I am shocked by this, I was expcecting something similar to Mike's and it being months, having it in March has left me bemused. I mean at least it'll be over soon but just pray its the right result here.

me neither

thats how it comes across doesnt it?

It really does, and i hate to bring up 2005 but Murray has been treated like a king in comparison to how they treated Michael!!! It makes me wana screammmmmmmmmmmm and when all is said and done, what the worst thats gonna happen to him?? 4 years maximum which if i am honest i cant see happening and even if it does whats 4 years?????? 4 years for another human beings life!!! Its a completle shambles!!!!

So, March 26th is the day... :timer: :fear:

Cameras? :mello: God, they (the press) want to make this a circus... or maybe a big entertainment program for the whole family? :sigh: :puke: Surely it would be bizarre. :bugeyed Nothing in favor of MJ. *big sigh*

Can the charges still be raised? Or is this charge final? I mean can the D.A still decide to charge Murray with second degree murder?

I'll say mostly final. after this point we'll need to have new evidence, DA cancelling the trial and starting all over with new charges / new trial.

So, March 26th is the day... :timer: :fear:

Cameras? :mello: God, they (the press) want to make this a circus... or maybe a big entertainment program for the whole family? :sigh: :puke: Surely it would be bizarre. :bugeyed Nothing in favor of MJ. *big sigh*
March 28th

I cant believe he does not have to be there because of work commitments :( The man does not deserve to work!!! Why is he getting such an easy ride in all this??? Makes me so angry...
I cannot believe that Texas and Vegas have not taken his license yet....he should not be allowed to practice. Not only that but HOW can he leave the state of California if he is out on bail.? I thought he had to stay in California .... Maybe IVY can answer this??

Last edited:

Several high profile trials have been televised in US such as the OJ case. It doesn't necessarily turn into a circus, again like I said it's more like hearing the testimony by your own ears. Full airing of the trial will be equivalent of getting the court transcripts.

Back