Do you consider Michael to be an official Michael Jackson album?

"Michael" is IMO nothing like a Michael Jackson album.

• It's terribly put together. What happend to great tracks like Slave To The Rhythm, 12 O'Clock, Blue Gangster, Escape etc which would easily be among the best of the album.
  • Most of the songs are not by any means completed in accordance with Michael's vision. Some are not even close.
  • The artwork looks like it shuld have been a greatest hits compilation from 1985
  • Michael's voice on HT is autotuned/melodyned to death for no reason
  • Another Day features these terrible and annoying guitar riffs, and lacks the power of the original leak
  • Much Too Soon has gotten these cheesy accordion parts, which seems to be really out of place
  • And not to mention the Cascio tracks...

I think Michael deserved better.

Last edited:
Yes, it is...

People need to understand that Michael is no longer with us. Every single record or song will never musically play like the others in the past. And nto because of some "Cascio' songs" around the album, it's just people, *us", the fans. Everyone has his time to accept reality of the things and relate himself with them, after. It's not about a song or an album, it's about life that always change.

Ele74

Great words, Ele74!
And in my opinion it's the simple truth.

Thank You for that.

Haven't read from you in along time. Nice that you're back (or still here).

I enjoyed your updates in November/Dezember very much.

Do you have ANY info regarding ANY (forthcoming) MJ-related release?

My spin on the topic:

MICHAEL is an official Michael Jackson-Release, released by Epic Records. Of course it is not a bootleg or smth like that, it's released by Michaels Estate & Sony Music.
MICHAEL is not an Michael Jackson studio-album like OTW - Invincible.
To me it's more like a compilation of great unreleased MJ-songs, spanning from thriller-era songs to his last recordings (BOJ) of which some needed additional work or completion.

Hoping for so much more to come (especially Vincestuff, HIStory Cuts, 2002-03' stuff, Bahrainstuff??, etc..).

I think the Estate of Michael Jackson is doing a wonderful job. Can't believe what they are pulling off with cirque du soleil.

Of course it is an official MJ album. It is just different for obvious reasons. MJ wasn't here to complete his vision of the album but this is what we are left with. Posthumous albums are that way unfortunately. I am just grateful for the great collection of songs in MICHAEL. I've enjoyed the album thoroughly and I'm looking forward to the many others that will be coming in the future.

I consider it a gift. I'm glad we got to hear these new songs and I can only hope that we will hear more in the future.

Great words, Ele74!
And in my opinion it's the simple truth.

Thank You for that.

Haven't read from you in along time. Nice that you're back (or still here).

I enjoyed your updates in November/Dezember very much.

Do you have ANY info regarding ANY (forthcoming) MJ-related release?

My spin on the topic:

MICHAEL is an official Michael Jackson-Release, released by Epic Records. Of course it is not a bootleg or smth like that, it's released by Michaels Estate & Sony Music.
MICHAEL is not an Michael Jackson studio-album like OTW - Invincible.
To me it's more like a compilation of great unreleased MJ-songs, spanning from thriller-era songs to his last recordings (BOJ) of which some needed additional work or completion.

Hoping for so much more to come (especially Vincestuff, HIStory Cuts, 2002-03' stuff, Bahrainstuff??, etc..).

I think the Estate of Michael Jackson is doing a wonderful job. Can't believe what they are pulling off with cirque du soleil.
Thank you, I was a little bit busy, just checking here sometimes...
No news at the moment, just the BTM video coming soon and nothing more at the moment..

I often see comments like "why these songs? Why they do this to Michael or something like that...". But i never seen somebody saying...
"Probably was the best choice they have..." or "maybe there're not mj songs finished and completed to be inside an album. Do you really believe that Michael leaves to his children 200 songs ready to put on the market? Or the Estate just need to open the closet to give the fans and the world a new Michael Jackson's hit?
If songs are registered, sometimes completed, sometimes not.... there's a reason. If songs are registered that's doesn't mean they're ready for the market. Check for yourself about any other dead singer in the past. New songs and albums are just things that happens rarely. Do you really think for Michael could be different? Only one thing we can be sure: videos. Concerts, footage, tv special etc... there, is Michael 100%, no one can edit too much. No one can adjust things. It's Michael. Have a demo song inside an album conceived to be an hit from someone else, it's Michael, of course, but it's a team job. And we, the fans, make the difference. Hearing that song.

Ele74

Silly question.

1000% Official Release

Wowoww... rude answer.
This is not a silly question at all, but some answer might be....:smilerolleyes:

Nobody here doubts the thing is official. Of course it is. But as it is clearly seen along the thread, most don't consider it to be a "1000% MJ album" for different reasons.

In my personal opinion, it's a nice compilation of demos which I WISH they hadn't touched :no: For me, the journey ends with Invincible. I am eager to hear any "new" stuff, but as long as they leave it just as it is, unfished, imperfect, but only MJ. I don't need and I don't want anyone else to touch his work.

Yes, this is a very selfish opinion, but that's my feeling about this sensible topic. I understand any song is a team effort, but still, I just want to hear things as they were left when Michael Jackson himself was leading the team.

No more. No less.

VERY good question, by the way. Silly? No way! :doh:

PCR I feel the same leave it just as it is... and if you mix it at least tell us it was necessary and we will support. Don’t let us freakin guess cause we know Michael Jacksons voice better than we know people in our own family.
Michael is a great album but it's not MJ standars. Have to add his invincible album is really underestimated.
I rather have 3great Albums in 10 years than 10 albums that are just ok. Michael was a perfectionist with extremely high standards for himself — so every track that he left on the cutting-room floor he did it for good reason.

[Validity and quality aside :ph34r:, speaking strictly on its status as a posthumous album.] Well, I consider it an official album because it is one, But it is absolutely not in the same category as the others. It's not a studio album, it's just another compilation (albeit one with unreleased music). So, just as I don't name The Ultimate Collection or The Essential Michael Jackson when listing his albums, I also don't name Michael. (Although I would place it above the This Is It album, which is strictly a greatest hits - in terms of content.) The MJ classification system in my head is weird because BOTDF and Thriller 25 were technically both studio albums, but I would never put T25 with Bad and Invincible. However, I don't understand why BOTDF and HIStory aren't in the same group (I mean, obviously HIStory was infinitely bigger with an accompanying tour...and a lot of statues, lol. But the amount of new content was about the same.) I think that's where eras come into play. The most impactful (but not necessarily "official" or studio) albums are defined by the era, I think. It can all be so confusing, haha.

But basically, in terms of both "officialness" and era I'd say:

Off the Wall
Thriller
Bad
Dangerous
HIStory
(Blood on the Dance Floor)
Invincible

*Space*

This Is It
Michael

Last edited:
I don't personally place it in the same category as any of his other albums, because it lacks the "MJ touch." However, it is not entirely without merit. Songs like "Best of Joy" are certainly worth hearing--even "Hold My Hand" has a certain quality to it, despite Akon's vocals, which I honestly do not care at all for.

I don't. Any albums that are released now are just posthumous albums to me. Don't get me wrong i'm interested in hearing new MJ music but for me the last official album will always be Invincible

Totally agree with this. Without Michael can't exist another 'Michael Jackson's album'.
For me "MICHAEL" is just a 'great hits', I feels so strongly the lack of his presence in that album...
in the choice of tracklist, the sound, the cover...
everything is the OPPOSITE of what Michael would have done.

for me the last official album is Invincible too
is.. just an album..

MICHAEL is.. just an album..
without MJ himself . It's not complete. far from perfert

Totally agree with this. Without Michael can't exist another 'Michael Jackson's album'.
For me "MICHAEL" is just a 'great hits', I feels so strongly the lack of his presence in that album...
in the choice of tracklist, the sound, the cover...
everything is the OPPOSITE of what Michael would have done.

Yeah, I think so too. I love many of it's songs, but it can never be looked at as anything other than a compilation CD! MJ have spoiled us with beautiful productions over the years, but this one's not one of them! How could it be when he's not here anymore :(

I consider it the 13th studio album from Michael Jackson.

What I mean is, there were these albums:

1. Got To Be There
2. Ben
3. Music & Me
4. Forever, Michael
5. Off The Wall
6. Thriller
7. Farewell My Summer Love
8. Bad
9. Dangerous
10.HIStory
11.Blood On The Dance Floor
12.Invincible
13.Michael

I threw Farewell in there, because despite Motown being crooked and releasing it at a time when Michael was on a different label, I consider it a Motown studio album. So it's sandwiched between Thriller and Bad, despite it being recorded 10 years earlier.

No, it's not really his. The magic is not there, except for glimmers in "Best of Joy," "Much Too Soon," and a couple of other songs. Most of the other songs are overdone and clearly lacking his touch.

True, it doesn't compare to the other Sony albums, that Michael was a part of creating.

But it's as much of a Michael Jackson as the 5 Motown studio albums are. And those have Michael Jackson's name on them.

It's not the album that MJ would have created, had he still been alive. But it's a good Michael Jackson album. Not great, but...good.

It's not an official Michael Jackson album. It's a bunch of songs. Some by Michael, some not...

Michael would never have made this album the way it was made. Michael's next album would have been something different altogether. That's not to say, 'Michael' the album isn't full of good songs.. It's just Michael obviously wasn't there to sign off on it and add his magic touches. It's just a solid post-humous release of unreleased songs from over the years (bar 3).

I most definitely don't consider it an official album. It is not the same as the ones that came out when we still had him. :boohoo: I have the album I had pre ordered it back in December. And I have still yet to take the shriek wrap off of it and listen to it. I just really can't bring myself to want to listen to it. I prefer to just listen to the albums that came out when we still had him. And I used to get so happy and excited when a new MJ album would come out. And I couldn't wait to get it and to listen to it. I sadly no longer have that joy now. :boohoo:

No, I don't, but I still love it and am appreciative of it. "Best of Joy" is still the most gorgeous song in the world and the perfect ode to his legacy of endless love. Gosh, I miss him.

This, totally.

So is Milk and Honey a John Lennon album? Is Brainwashed a George Harrison album?

Michael is partially the album that MJ was working on when he died, plus a few older songs added in and cleaned up. Is it what he would have released, had he still been alive? No, probably not. But Milk and Honey was 50% taken from demos left in Yoko Ono's possession, that she cleaned up in the studio and released 4 years after Lennon's death. And it was a proper send off album, because M&H is just as good as Double Fantasy, IMO!

I think people should stop considering whether this album stacks up to Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad, or Dangerous! Not even HIStory, BOTDF, or Invincible could stack up to those albums, and they were made by Michael, within MJ's lifetime!

I think you should just consider whether it is a good MJ album, one that you would put with the others, including the 5 Motown studio albums. If you would do that, then it's a Michael Jackson studio album!

They are albums just not studio albums I mean they are good and it's a great album but it's not perfect without MJ but it's pretty good

Well, no. I just don't. It's not- it doesn't have the same feel as the other albums. I suppose that's why to me...

Back