Do you think anyone can be bigger then Michael Jackson is / was ?

Elvis is only popular in the US and europe. Here in the middle east, they literally have no idea who is elvis even in africa too.
yupe. He's too famous.
I hope there'll be some types of survey done worldwide that also reach those in the most remote areas to end this unceasing and restless discussion of who is the biggest and who will be bigger.
Result will be undeniably predictable.

Yes, The Jacksons were the symbol for young america, and un the 70's, the slogan for young black people were. Young Gifted and Black', That slogan was about the Jacksons. They were more that a pop group. They were a revolution that affected the entire world. The Jacksaons did things on tv that black people had never seen other blacks did before. It also opened the way for all thse comedy acts with black families. The Jacksons started all of that.
Thanks for the explanation. As a "baby fan" (became one this year), I got a long way to go to know his history. So, I really appreciate your input.

I didn't know "Young, Gifted, and Black" was about the Jacksons. Wow...I just knew the slogan as the Donny Hathaway song. Absolutely, yea. They did so much more than entertaining people. I'm Asian, not black/African-American, but feel so proud of him and his brothers for having contributed to their own people's access to the media and success.

Those who talk about MJ wanting to be a white man b.s. need to know the history. Even as a kid being in the racist industry, he must have felt a lot.

Thanks for the explanation. As a "baby fan" (became one this year), I got a long way to go to know his history. So, I really appreciate your input.

I didn't know "Young, Gifted, and Black" was about the Jacksons. Wow...I just knew the slogan as the Donny Hathaway song. Absolutely, yea. They did so much more than entertaining people. I'm Asian, not black/African-American, but feel so proud of him and his brothers for having contributed to their own people's access to the media and success.

Those who talk about MJ wanting to be a white man b.s. need to know the history. Even as a kid being in the racist industry, he must have felt a lot.

"Young, Gifted and Black" wasn't about the Jacksons. :lol: It was dedicated to late author Lorraine Hansberry, the fantastic woman who wrote the famed play, "Raisin in the Sun". It was a song for ALL BLACK PEOPLE. I don't think when Nina Simone and Weldon Irvine were thinking about just the Jacksons when they wrote it.

Plus I wouldn't just give it up to the Jacksons, I have to add:

Ray Charles
Sam Cooke
James Brown
Dionne Warwick
...AND the ENTIRE Motown staple that became Motown superstars all broke down the barriers. The Jackson brothers just happen to be linked to Motown anyways.

"Young, Gifted and Black" wasn't about the Jacksons. :lol: It was dedicated to late author Lorraine Hansberry, the fantastic woman who wrote the famed play, "Raisin in the Sun". It was a song for ALL BLACK PEOPLE. I don't think when Nina Simone and Weldon Irvine were thinking about just the Jacksons when they wrote it.
Then, it's possible I misinterpreted Datsymay's post. Now I think it could be that Datsymay originally meant it like, the slogan was perfect to describe the Jacksons by saying it was "about the Jacksons", but I misunderstood it's specifically about them. Thanks for the input.

Then, it's possible I misinterpreted Datsymay's post. Now I think it could be that Datsymay originally meant it like, the slogan was perfect to describe the Jacksons by saying it was "about the Jacksons", but I misunderstood it's specifically about them. Thanks for the input.

Welcome and yeah that's what I meant.

Well if I had the study on hand, I would give it to you. And what makes you think Michael wouldn't be on people's conciousness? Because he isn't as popular as he once was? That doesn't mean he isn't as famous. He's probably more famous. I heard a group of young kids arguing amongst themselves about who the most famous person in the world was the other day, and Michael was one of the people they were talking about.

And no, you don't KNOW that the sun will go up in the east tomorrow, you only assume it will based on the past. You have faith it will.

let's not discuss my faith or knowledge here...

What makes me think Michael wouldn't be on ppl's conciousness... well I don't know seems he is not really always ...

http://www.whoismorefamous.com/

http://www.famouspeople.com/famous_biographies.htm

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1725112_1726934_1726935,00.html

http://www.forbes.com/2006/06/12/06celebrities_money-power-celebrities-list_land.html

then again... lol I've at least found this (like probably some other MJJfans before?!:D )

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/community/discuss/most-famous.html?cast=1&id=596&answer=9&vote=Vote

but yet I'm not done with my research!
I'm just more someone who likes to back up when I proclaim something to be true. So let's see whatelse is out there to be found.

My hope is just that some really reliable and valid results (and I do not suggest those up there are some of those) would end this discussion?!
Hopeless! lol ppl tend to believe what they want to believe.

Let me just end my part to this discussion... don't believe too easy what ppl want to tell you as the truth... only if someone is presenting examination and statistic (even about a simple survey) openly and completely... there's some hope for some truth in any statistic, no matter if Michael is on first or not appearing on the list at all. :cheeky:

The three biggest names in the music world have to be in no particular order,

elvis
freddie mercury
michael jackson

no one will come close to either 3

I wouldn't say Freddie Mercury is in the top 3, David Bowie, Prince and John Lennon are bigger names in music that him.

I wouldn't say Freddie Mercury is in the top 3, David Bowie, Prince and John Lennon are bigger names in music that him.
worldwide, i'd imagine Queen are more well-known than both Prince and Bowie.

worldwide, i'd imagine Queen are more well-known than both Prince and Bowie.

I disagree !

Besides the Screamin put Freddie Mercury not Queen in their top 3 biggest names in music. And people are more likely to say they listen Queen than Freddie Mercury because the group name far more famous than his. Therefore it's highly unlikely he's even in the top 5, as he's not as famous as Mick Jagger who's famous for being the lead singer of Rolling Stones or Jimi Hendrix.

Mercury is definitely synonymous with Queen; just as you synonymised Jagger with The Rolling Stones.

from my experience living in the Middle-East and visiting various Asian countries, i'd still maintain that Mercury is most likely more well-known globally than Bowie or Prince and since you mentioned him, possibly Hendrix.

it's just a matter of fame, not necessarily musical appreciation in their niche market (the West). it'd be interesting to take a look at their relative sales and charting worldwide.

and no, i'm not a fan.

Last edited:
In the 70's the Jacksons were the symbol of what Black people could achieve. They were the icon for black people. It was a time of rebellion and change. The black people had mobilized themselves and there was a movement for change. The slogan was a slogan of ownership for all blacjk people, but the Jackson were the ICON of that slogan. If the slogan was coined by somebody else, nobody knew who that somebody else was. But when they said YOUNG, GIFTED AND BLACK, they held up the J5 as the embodiment of that.
The Jacksons were everywhere and they did everything. Mohammed Ali referred to them as being like oxegen, they were everywhere.You only have to look at youtube to see that. They had they own show and their own cartoon. They were they POLITICAL symbol for change.
They did not choose it. The public did. This is what I am saying when I said they they were they living embodiment of the slogan,,Young Gifted and Black.

Mercury is definitely synonymous with Queen; just as you synonymised Jagger with The Rolling Stones.

from my experience living in the Middle-East and visiting various Asian countries, i'd still maintain that Mercury is most likely more well-known globally than Bowie or Prince and since you mentioned him, possibly Hendrix.

it's just a matter of fame, not necessarily musical appreciation in their niche market (the West). it'd be interesting to take a look at their relative sales and charting worldwide.

and no, i'm not a fan.

I disagree, plus David Bowie is very famous in Japan.

Yes Freddie Mercury is synonymous with Queen, just as Mick Jagger is with the Rolling Stones. But Mick Jagger's fame is far bigger than Freddie Mercury. Freddie Mercury is one of the most famous people in music, but not someone who's name one could say was in the top 3 most famous pop stars of all time.

Anyway the point I'm making isn't about David Bowie or Prince, it's the fact that Freddie Mercury is not someone in the top 3 most famous pop stars of all time.

let's not discuss my faith or knowledge here...

What makes me think Michael wouldn't be on ppl's conciousness... well I don't know seems he is not really always ...

http://www.whoismorefamous.com/

http://www.famouspeople.com/famous_biographies.htm

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1725112_1726934_1726935,00.html

http://www.forbes.com/2006/06/12/06celebrities_money-power-celebrities-list_land.html

then again... lol I've at least found this (like probably some other MJJfans before?!:D )

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/community/discuss/most-famous.html?cast=1&id=596&answer=9&vote=Vote

but yet I'm not done with my research!
I'm just more someone who likes to back up when I proclaim something to be true. So let's see whatelse is out there to be found.

My hope is just that some really reliable and valid results (and I do not suggest those up there are some of those) would end this discussion?!
Hopeless! lol ppl tend to believe what they want to believe.

Let me just end my part to this discussion... don't believe too easy what ppl want to tell you as the truth... only if someone is presenting examination and statistic (even about a simple survey) openly and completely... there's some hope for some truth in any statistic, no matter if Michael is on first or not appearing on the list at all. :cheeky:

Wait, are you saying MJ is the most well known or he isn't?????

cause he def. is, lol! That forbes list is a list that someone made based on earnings and "sizzle" for a certain year. Not public opinion and not valid :no:
ANd the other lists, biased ppl are guessing who is the most famous! That's SO unreliable considering they may not even like MJ, lol. Plus, we've seen MJ lose plenty of polls he shoulda won for that same reason. and ppl can guess who is famous but the truth is that it'd about how many people in the whole world know someone. That 'who is more amous' website is obviously wrong cause they put Abraham Lincoln and George Washingon in the top 5, and TONS of ppl have no idea who they are outside the U.S.!!!! They are just basing their votes on who they think should be the most famous, lol.

I don't know can anyone be bigger than Michael lS.

I guess time will tell?

Wait, are you saying MJ is the most well known or he isn't?????

cause he def. is, lol!

lol seems what everybody in this thread would like to see as truth is hard to prove... although it would be interesting to see... that's what I'm saying.

Some mentioned a list where Michael shall be second behind Jesus... and I asked for that list or better I'm interested in how that (probably survey) all was done to examine. I've tried to find that list... but it seems hard to find... cuz what I've found yet is all in my post.
Well as I said and all those lists I've found yet are doubtfull anyways.
I would just like to see ppl backing up what they are saying... either this or that way! lol

Hmm... I thought this thread is only about entertainers?
If not, I take my words back because yep, Jesus will always be the #1 :yes:

Jesus doesn't even factor. He's a religious figure and no one knows if he was what he really is proclaimed to be. arXter put it best.

Mechi, the list is real. It wasn't an opinion poll, like the lists you've provided, it was an actual list compiled through research. I don't have it but if I did I can assure you I would post it.

Jesus doesn't even factor. He's a religious figure and no one knows if he was what he really is proclaimed to be. arXter put it best.

Mechi, the list is real. It wasn't an opinion poll, like the lists you've provided, it was an actual list compiled through research. I don't have it but if I did I can assure you I would post it.

yeah but I couldn't find it! nowhere! *shrugs* probably it's just from years ago! but it would be nice if someone could provide some more information!
I didn't find any list I would believe to be valid so far! lol so it would be even more interesting if that list you mentioned would make a difference and really have some valid information to offer.

If there is a list of the "most famous people", and Michael Jackson is not listed in at least the top 3, the list is bullsh** right off the bat, and can be dismissed. :)

I think it's a possibility, but in our lifetime? No not in our lifetime. No one has lived, or has the talent of MJ to surpass him. They have to be in his shoes, follow his footsteps to surpass MJ.

Highly doubtful, especially in the technical age we are living in. The scene isn't really that old and has loads of time to flourish, but I doubt, as Gisselle said it will be in our lifetime.

People say no. People say yes. Do I think so? I don't know.
Michael was at a point where HE WAS the icon of the world. Most people all over the world, knew the name Michael Jackson. Now do I think, anyone will match that? Maybe or maybe not. I am NOT giving up hope in the industry, and hope never to til I die. I am not going to count other people out, even if I dont like them.
Many people have dreams, much like I do, to become a musician and try to bring joy to the world's listeners.
I am not yet qualified, to have any popularity. I cant sing, cant play instruments that good, BUT I have a dream and I am learning how to do this things as best as possible. I am not saying, I am going to be bigger than Michael, but everyone does dream about it. I decided to take the initiative to be an artist, by asking for many books about Music and Showbusiness instead of many of the stuff, I usually ask for. Only like 2 video games, I am asking for, and maybe a couple of CDs.....

Sorry for my long talk, but their are dreamers, and many of them very talented. Remember everything starts out with a dream.....

Back